• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment working on a high profile, stylized 2D RPG (with Flash)

duckroll

http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/animation/jobs-animation-2dcharacter-20110527.html

Job Posting said:
2D Character Animator
Friday, 27 May 2011 10:20

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a 2D character animator to work on a highly stylized, high profile role playing game.

This person should be comfortable creating characters in 2D, and have a strong understanding of traditional animation principles. Knowledge of Flash is strongly preferred. Depending on the applicant's skill set this may be offered as a contract position.

Requirements
• 2 Years minimum industry experience
• Must be able to animate characters in 2D and manage scenes and assets efficiently
• Exceptional motivation and attitude and a passion for video games
• Able to adhere to tight schedules with minimal supervision
• Able to iterate quickly and often on designs. The means moving from a basic concept or story board to a rough animatic, to a final animation
• Able to work in a very specific animation style
• A strong understanding of the development process

Pluses
• Has previously shipped titles on the PS3 or Xbox 360
• Previous experience on mobile or browser based Flash applications or games

• Past experience animating effects
• Proficient with Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator
• Basic or intermediate knowledge of Actionscript or comparable programming languages
• Familiarity with any of the following programs: After Effects, Maya, 3ds Max, FaceFX, Scaleform
• Freehand illustration skills

Responsibilities
• Assist lead animator in creating and finishing character animations
• Create and edit conversations, lip sync, and expressions
• Help train programmers and artists from other disciplines on how to use the toolset

Portfolio Requirements:
• Character animation examples

Portfolio Plusses:
• 2D character animation examples
• 3D character animation examples
• Pieces that demonstrate attention to emoting and storytelling
• A reel in QuickTime format
• Character illustrations
• Special Effects animations
• Life drawing samples
• Examples of work in console or mobile games

Submission
• All resumes must be accompanied with website portfolio or samples of work
• For console or studio animations include a document explaining specifically what you did
• Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net
• Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please
• Please no phone calls or drop ins. We only accept emailed applications

What could this be?!

duckroll

Aeana said:
Clearly, this is a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

This could be it!

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/an-interview-with-obsidian-head-feargus-urquhart-4381
FU: There actually is another game that I can't talk about at all.

GR: Are you sure?

FU: No, I'll get killed, but it's a licensed product but it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."

I'm hoping that'll be announced around E3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/obsidian-entertainment-playing-in-other-peoples-worlds/
Before Obsidian begins on its own work, Urquhart says there are a few other projects in the pipeline, and one is an unannounced title we'll be hearing about soon. "There is a property that we are working on, that we can't talk about yet," he teases. "It's something we've been working on since the middle of last year, just with a small team, it's only been five or ten people. It's a license that you would go, well you gotta do it. It's not a license where it's, 'Ok, we'll take that and we can do something with it.' It's more like, well that's once in a lifetime."

Obsidian Entertainment working on Chrono Trigger 2 -confirmed-! Alert Kotaku!!!

Trigunner

Finally, a sequel.

Gamebox.gif

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
"well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."
Song of Ice an Fire or some other "fantasy" license. Fuck, I wish it was steampunk.

Gravijah

godhandiscen said:
"well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."
Song of Ice an Fire or some other "fantasy" license. Fuck, I wish it was steampunk.

spaaaaaaaace :(

Alrus

godhandiscen said:

Song of Ice and Fire is already being done by some French studios (Cyanide or something). So that can't be it.

godhandiscen

Gravijah said:
spaaaaaaaace :(
That would suck too. I don't know, but lately all fiction universes feel the same. Last time i was reading that somebody wrote 10 thousand years of history for Kingdoms of Amalur... can you imagine? 10 fucking thousand years of history and somehow the universe ended with orcs, trolls, elves, dragons and all that same old shit.

Aeana

V_Ben said:
Bugger, what if it actually is a new Chrono game. An Avellone directed JRPG? That'd be something.
Remember when BioWare made one of those?
That was pretty awesome.

Gravijah

godhandiscen said:
That would suck too. I don't know, but lately all fiction universes feel the same. Last time i was reading that somebody wrote 10 thousand years of history for Kingdoms of Amalur... can you imagine? 10 fucking thousand years of history and somehow the universe ended with orcs, trolls, elves, dragons and all that same old shit.

fine, how about some cyberpunk instead of steampunk?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
godhandiscen said:
Song doesnt play to Obsidians fantasy strengths. Something a bit more post modern and philosophical.

A Promethean: The Created RPG. I'd do terrible thing for that.

duckroll

Avellone has been directing the New Vegas DLCs, so whatever else Obsidian has been developing is likely not to have been led by Avellone.

godhandiscen

Gravijah said:
fine, how about some cyberpunk instead of steampunk?
That would be awesome. Imagine L.A. Noire in a Bladerunner setting. I would buy a new system for that game.

duckroll

godhandiscen said:
That would be awesome. Imagine L.A. Noire in a Bladerunner setting. I would buy a new system for that game.

I don't think Obsidian is in the business of making button mashing sims which repeat the same thing over and over.

Salsa

duckroll said:
I don't think Obsidian is in the business of making button mashing sims which repeat the same thing over and over.

heyooooooo

but yeah, Obsidian making a 2D RPG is just at a whole other level. Some more info might just make this my most awaited thing everrrr

Instro

duckroll said:
They're not working on that though. There's no game yet.

I thought they were co-developing it or something with some other studio? Or do you mean theres been no actual work done on the game.

duckroll

Instro said:
I thought they were co-developing it or something with some other studio? Or do you mean theres been no actual work done on the game.

There's this company who landed the WoT game rights, and they signed an agreement with Obsidian such that they want to co-develop (??) the games with Obsidian when they do start funding the development of such games. They were working on getting more funding, and some sort of distribution deal with a publisher... EA I think? Basically there's no game being made last we heard, just a bunch of agreements and people trying to put together money to eventually make games off the license.

Instro

duckroll said:
There's this company who landed the WoT game rights, and they signed an agreement with Obsidian such that they want to co-develop (??) the games with Obsidian when they do start funding the development of such games. They were working on getting more funding, and some sort of distribution deal with a publisher... EA I think? Basically there's no game being made last we heard, just a bunch of agreements and people trying to put together money to eventually make games off the license.

Ah ok then that makes sense, thanks for the info. Well then clearly Chrono is the only answer.

Utako

Banned
Fuck that, they should be using HTML5 and then selling it on Chrome Web Store.

They're fighting the future.

Top Bottom