• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] More retailer listings appear! (Mario Cafe(?), GTAV, RE6, Rayman/DMC PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nirolak said:
Far Cry 3 has been known forever. :p

far-cry-3-covernmes.jpg

Is that a real boxart? They haven't used those PEGI ratings logos for several years.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
Because these lists are useless for dates. Just for games that are coming.

Anyway, we'll see. I just can not fathom them announcing a Mario game for the Wii, especially when they have 3 for the 3DS to show off and likely one for the Cafe.
Definitely Mario overkill.
I'm desperately hoping to see the new Miyamoto IP come Tuesday.

miksar

Don't forget that Nintendo need a game to sell to their casual crowd this holiday. Last year it was DKCR, this year it is NSMB2. Zelda with its Motion+ controls is not a game aimed at 15+ mlns who bought the original NSMB and Mario Kart.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Neiteio said:
If we're getting a NSMBW2, I hope this doesn't mean EAD Group #4 has been held up from working on Pikmin 3 yet again. :-\

They did develop Big Brain Academy and NSMB together. So they are capable of developing Pikmin and NSMB together. But there is no way NSMB is for Wii. It is definitely for Nintendo's next hardware.

NSMB1 is still selling on Wii. There is no need for an NSMB 2 for Wii. It also isn't going to sell more hardware.

Don't forget that Nintendo need a game to sell to their casual crowd this holiday. Last year it was DKCR, this year it is NSMB2. Zelda with its Motion+ controls is not a game aimed at 15+ mlns who bought the original NSMB and Mario Kart.

Wii Motion Plus and Rhythm Tengoku Wii is good enough alongside possible Wii Zelda releases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ushojax said:
Is that a real boxart? They haven't used those PEGI ratings logos for several years.
It's an ancient placeholder, but it was on a large retailer's site, so it seems Ubisoft sent one out before deciding to not announce the game for another year or so.

Neiteio said:
Well, if you're trying to make some sort of wry political commentary that Africa is in flames, maybe...

No it was more the implementation of the fire stuff in the second one, just reminded me of it is all.

KAL2006

Banned
cvan anyone spot any new IPs exclusive to PS3, I ask this because of the new Guerilla Games IP, as well as Dontnods new IP. Both games are supposed to be action RPGs

legacyzero

Banned
steverulez said:
Well, hopefully this means its a sequel to the original then!
<3
Nirolak said:
It's an ancient placeholder, but it was on a large retailer's site, so it seems Ubisoft sent one out before deciding to not announce the game for another year or so.
Alot could have changed since then too.

"Announcing FAR CRY 3! It takes place in.......IOWA."

Xpliskin

Resident Evil 6 !?
Wait, resident evil 6 ?
Omg now I can't wait for Monday.

They said they're doing something completly new. HYPE GET

Mistle

As the EB Games exclusive "Ocarina Edition" of OoT is listed, it seems that this list would be from them?

Unless the list is inclusive of all retailers. Not sure how these things work.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Wii Motion Plus and Rhythm Tengoku Wii is good enough alongside possible Wii Zelda releases.
Aren't those meant to be summer titles? They could do with another big multiplayer game late in the year.

WillyFive

If there really is a NSMBWii 2, then Nintendo has been on a roll with these Mario games this gen. If this is true, we would have gotten 5 Mario games this generation (2 3D and 3 2D), a new record.

Especially considering we only got one for the Gamecube and N64 each.

Neiteio

Shikamaru Ninja said:
NSMB1 is still selling on Wii. There is no need for an NSMB 2 for Wii. It also isn't going to sell more hardware.
SMG was still selling well when Nintendo announced SMG2. The good sales of the first one didn't preclude them from a second -- just like the rest of the industry!

NSMBW2 makes perfect sense. It's a title guaranteed to sell MILLIONS. Everyone loved the first one; everyone will buy the second. And it's a cinch to make; the four-player model has been figured out, the engine's in place, and many assets could be recycled. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas leftover from the first one, too, like the unusued Chicken Suit seen in concept art.

It's easy to see why Reggie, from a business standpoint, could be sitting pretty with Wii's holiday lineup. The system saw some lean months, but it may very well still have a killer year-end push coming: Skyward Sword, NSMBW2, a new Kirby, maybe even The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles. That, plus the discounted Mario Kart Wii bundle and new Wii Select line, may finally entice families that still haven't come onboard to get a Wii.

So, who knows what will happen, but a NSMBW2 is definitely within the realm of possibility. Nintendo likes repeating what works. Both SMG and SMG2 sold well. NSMBW, likely a simpler game to make from a production value standpoint alone, sold even better -- and Nintendo must be VERY tempted to sequelize it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
legacyzero said:
<3

Alot could have changed since then too.

"Announcing FAR CRY 3! It takes place in.......IOWA."
I expect it has, since they've lost quite a few senior staffers from Far Cry 2 over the years.

WillyFive

Krev said:
Definitely Mario overkill.
I'm desperately hoping to see the new Miyamoto IP come Tuesday.

Yeah, too much of a good thing. It loses it's significance when you go from one every generation to two every two years.

Neiteio

Willy105 said:
Yeah, too much of a good thing. It loses it's significance when you go from one every generation to two every two years.
Actually, I'm loving this outpouring of Mario, and you know why? Because it's like watching these inspired artists throwing heaps of paint on the wall -- reds, greens, yellows, blues, fuschias, magentas, blacks, whites -- and in moments creating inspired works of art. SMG, for instance, was so full of wild and over-the-top ideas, like IBLARD in videogame form, that I thought it would take them years to do it all over again. I thought they had tapped out their creativity, emptying it all into one glorious game. But I was wrong! SMG2 came out and did it all over again, and actually supplemented SMG1 so well that the two formed a larger meta-experience we now call the "Galaxy" games, a two-in-one experience that gets us nostalgic. I'd love to see what inspired platforming scenarios the NSMBW people would try now that they have the first game behind them. I'd love to see them prove their creativity knows no bounds as well. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Neiteio said:
SMG was still selling well when Nintendo announced SMG2. The good sales of the first one didn't preclude them from a second -- just like the rest of the industry!

NSMB still pops up on the NPD and Mediacreate at a much higher level than SMG1 did when SMG2 was released. SMG1 did well, but NSMB Wii was on another level. I mean there is a reason why Nintendo doesn't develop a Mario Kart 2 for Wii. Because Mario Kart 1 Wii keeps selling.

NSMBW2 makes perfect sense. It's a title guaranteed to sell MILLIONS. Everyone loved the first one; everyone will buy the second. And it's a cinch to make; the four-player model has been figured out, the engine's in place, and many assets could be recycled. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas leftover from the first one, too, like the unusued Chicken Suit seen in concept art.

Problem #2 is that NSMB is a game that sells for years. Meaning. The platform needs adequate years left for it to reach its potential. How many years do you reckon the Wii has? It just doesn't make sense this late. Even Zelda doesn't make sense but that game will likely only sell like 500k in Japan anyway.

So, who knows what will happen, but a NSMBW2 is definitely within the realm of possibility. Nintendo likes repeating what works. Both SMG and SMG2 sold well. NSMBW, likely a simpler game to make from a production value standpoint alone, sold even better -- and Nintendo must be VERY tempted to sequelize it.

It just would not make sense with Nintendo struggling to have quality launch software for the Cafe to put a killer app from Cafe to a late release on Wii. Anything could happen of course. But EAD announcing a new game in th 5th / 6th year of a console is unheard of.

bengraven

steverulez said:
That boxart suggests its set in Africa again doesn't it? Uhhh

God I hope so. Africa has a ton of potential as a free-roam choose-your-faction game.

This time maybe we'll get crocs in the waters, which felt a bit TOO safe for me riding around. And a few more factions. Like tribals, the UN, other warlords, poachers, etc. Maybe we can hunt down animals for the poachers or hunt poachers for the government wildlife agencies. Fuck yes.

FC2 is in my top 5 games of this gen if you can't tell. Only Skyrim, GTAV and RDR2 hold enough potential to get me more excited.

Paracelsus said:
You can still see FFXIV PS3 which is probably going to get canned, you can see The Agent which is TBA Q4 2012 at the very best, and Versus is STILL not available for preorder.
Vaporware, vaporware, and... vaporware.

Trike

Wow, Nintendo (and other companies) are really screwing themselves. There is a crazy amount of 3DS games coming out on December 31st, and at outrageous prices. Will still buy all though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shikamaru Ninja said:

Of course it will move hardware.

The list also has vitality sensor. Even including this if there isn't the very big title Wii will fall way behind estimated sales.

Green Scar said:
Far Cry 3 will be unconnected to the other games, I'd bet good money on it. It's the Final Fantasy of FPSs! :lol
If that means it'll be better than Far Cry 2, by all means. :lol

Neiteio

Shikamaru Ninja said:
NSMB still pops up on the NPD and Mediacreate at a much higher level than SMG1 did when SMG2 was released. SMG1 did well, but NSMB Wii was on another level. I mean there is a reason why Nintendo doesn't develop a Mario Kart 2 for Wii. Because Mario Kart 1 Wii keeps selling.
No, the lack of Mario Kart Wii 2 is because there's a Mario Kart 3DS in the works, plus the fact MKW doesn't have or need a single-player campaign, AND the game is bundled with the system. It has nothing to do with how MKW is selling.

Problem #2 is that NSMB is a game that sells for years. Meaning. The platform needs adequate years left for it to reach its potential. How many years do you reckon the Wii has? It just doesn't make sense this late. Even Zelda doesn't make sense but that game will likely only sell like 500k in Japan anyway.
You explained why this isn't a problem: Skyward Sword. They're releasing a new Zelda for Wii in the twilight years of the system. It actually makes more sense to release a NSMBW2. Think of it this way: Zelda = Hardcore and Mario = Casual. Who will buy Nintendo's new system first, the hardcore or the casuals? The hardcore, of course; they're the early adopters. Which means the casuals will still be left to buy Mario for the better-known, lesser-priced Wii. If anything, Zelda is getting screwed in this situation.

It just would not make sense with Nintendo struggling to have quality launch software for the Cafe to put a killer app from Cafe to a late release on Wii. Anything could happen of course. But EAD announcing a new game in th 5th / 6th year of a console is unheard of.
All indicators (Nikkei, various leaks) point to Cafe coming out middle of next year. A NSMBW2 would presumably come out this year. The four-player gameplay model is figured out, the engine's in place, the assets are there -- it's a quick turnaround title for Nintendo, minimal investment for all the following:

- Millions of sales: We all know peeps who never game but bought the first one and would buy the second in a heartbeat

- Rejuvenate the Wii: Nintendo is still trying to sell this thing, believe it or not, as the MKW bundle and Wii Select line prove (and who knows? Wii may become a separate pillar from Cafe)

- Soothe investors: I don't know about you, but if I were an investor concerned about sagging Wii sales, I'd feel pretty confident in Nintendo when told they'll have Skyward Sword, NSMBW2, Kirby, etc, to move units this holiday.

It makes too much sense. I could easily see them announcing NSMBW2. Hopefully they will. :)

Caramello

Shikamaru Ninja said:

QFT

Guys, please take in what is being said here, it's all true and this is the kind of thing Nintendo bases decisions on.

If Nintendo did decide to bring out another Mario game for Wii I think it'd be a pretty big mistake for reasons such as wasted resources due to the fact that the original is still selling and over-saturation of Mario platformers.. Remember also that Nintendo have Mario Kart, Super Mario and Paper Mario releasing on the 3DS over the holidays and early next year too, it's not just a problem with having too many Mario titles on Wii but also too many releasing in the same time frame across multiple platforms. If people get sick of Mario, Nintendo is royally fucked. Iwata knows that.

Neiteio said:
No, the lack of Mario Kart Wii 2 is because there's a Mario Kart 3DS in the works, plus the fact MKW doesn't have or need a single-player campaign, AND the game is bundled with the system. It has nothing to do with how MKW is selling.

You explained why this isn't a problem: Skyward Sword. They're releasing a new Zelda for Wii in the twilight years of the system. It actually makes more sense to release a NSMBW2. Think of it this way: Zelda = Hardcore and Mario = Casual. Who will buy Nintendo's new system first, the hardcore or the casuals? The hardcore, of course; they're the early adopters. Which means the casuals will still be left to buy Mario for the better-known, lesser-priced Wii. If anything, Zelda is getting screwed in this situation.

All indicators (Nikkei, various leaks) point to Cafe coming out middle of next year. A NSMBW2 would presumably come out this year. The four-player gameplay model is figured out, the engine's in place, the assets are there -- it's a quick turnaround title for Nintendo, minimal investment for all the following:

- Millions of sales: We all know peeps who never game but bought the first one and would buy the second in a heartbeat

- Rejuvenate the Wii: Nintendo is still trying to sell this thing, believe it or not, as the MKW bundle and Wii Select line prove (and who knows? Wii may become a separate pillar from Cafe)

- Soothe investors: I don't know about you, but if I were an investor concerned about sagging Wii sales, I'd feel pretty confident in Nintendo when told they'll have Skyward Sword, NSMBW2, Kirby, etc, to move units this holiday.

It makes too much sense. I could easily see them announcing NSMBW2. Hopefully they will. :)

This isn't how Nintendo works...

You clearly have no idea, go google any of the executives (Reggie for example) talk about "evergreen" titles. Nintendo like to release software like Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros and Super Smash Bros that are special in that they sell many units for a long period of time. They also don't release sequels to these kinds of games on the one console because the sequel wouldn't be a 'system seller'. Nintendo aren't so much about selling software with these titles. They are trying to sell their hardware. They wouldn't be wise to waste their talent on a title that wouldn't sell all that many systems when that system was a sinking ship..

Again, it's possible they see things differently but it would go against everything else they've done in the past and I believe it'd be a pretty questionable decision.

It's pretty obvious that the retailer in question is EBGames, the Ocarina Edition really explains it.

My theory? EBGames Australia recently announced that there is going to be a conference in October, which will showcase all the games, footage and such that were shown at E3 to the Australian public. These will be held after the managers and such watch everything and move on.

There's even rumours that Cafe will be playable a whole four months after the Cafe reveal
. Would it be at all possible that EBGames knows about these products and such because they ACTUALLY NEED TO in order to properly organise the event?

How much time in advance are these things planned?

EBGames (especially that of Australia) probably hasn't seen anything that Nintendo is going to announce at E3. Outside of Nintendo, third parties and the people doing the work at E3, no one really knows.

Nemesis_

AceBandage said:
EBGames (especially that of Australia) probably hasn't seen anything that Nintendo is going to announce at E3. Outside of Nintendo, third parties and the people doing the work at E3, no one really knows.

Worthintendo just brought up the mini-E3 that's happening at Australia. I wouldn't be surprised with what he's brought up, actually.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Caramello said:
QFT

Guys, please take in what is being said here, it's all true and this is the kind of thing Nintendo bases decisions on.

If Nintendo did decide to bring out another Mario game for Wii I think it'd be a pretty big mistake for reasons such as wasted resources due to the fact that the original is still selling and over-saturation of Mario platformers.. Remember also that Nintendo have Mario Kart, Super Mario and Paper Mario releasing on the 3DS over the holidays and early next year too, it's not just a problem with having too many Mario titles on Wii but also too many releasing in the same time frame across multiple platforms. If people get sick of Mario, Nintendo is royally fucked. Iwata knows that.
Paper Mario isn't this year and Mario 3DS isn't comparable to Mario Bros. If you think Nintendo will leave Wii dead almost a year you are wrong.

Nemesis_

Chris1964 said:
Paper Mario isn't this year and Mario 3DS isn't comparable to Mario Bros. If you think Nintendo will leave Wii dead almost a year you are wrong.

I thought Paper Mario was this year?

Blue Ninja said:
If that means it'll be better than Far Cry 2, by all means. :lol

Far Cry 2 seems cool, I'm playing through it nowadays for the first time. Was only 2 quid 50 on Steam, so whatever. The free-roaming is enjoyable, even if the story seems like pap. I'd take another game like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom