• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many probably false Cafe-related rumours posted on 4Chan, some by "ESRB employee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiv

ShirAhava said:
New rumors(?)...this sounds legit
Too legit if you ask me. Sounds like a list anyone could come up with with, given past rumours and a "reasonable" line of wishful thinking.

I don't expect Nintendo to be able to execute a console as perfect as that list reads. Realistically they'll delivery on some aspects and cut corners on others.

Truth101

Banned
Desperado said:
I'm betting on $350 for launch price, though I don't think we'll get that info this week. The Wii was the first time they had ever launched over $200. I think they'll want to keep it in the "reasonable" range, especially if it's coming out in the summer. I would say $300, but I also don't think they'll break tradition with making money on the hardware from the get go. Of course, I don't really know how much it's going to cost to produce, but $350 just seems right.

When they launched the Gamecube they took a small loss on each system.

J-Rock

Banned
Compiling Catus(ESRB info leaker) rumors.

Big One said:
Cactus confirmed quite a lot that turned out to be true it seems. Check this out(tons of rumor info): http://i.imgur.com/fy2gp.jpg

Apparently he also confirmed exact specs for the 3DS in the past on 4chan also. I'm starting to think he's legit.

Dreamwriter said:
Dreamwriter said:
Nope, nor do they rate games that are more than 6 months away from release (he said they had to review the trailer because some of those unannounced games were rated Teen and Mature). So his whole thing is fake.

The ESRB is ALL about rating games. Not videos, not commercials, games. It's not like the movie rating system where move previews get rated. And it costs a few hundred dollars to get them to rate your game, so companies wouldn't voluntarily pay them for something stupid that won't affect anything (parents will see the rating of a trailer at the E3 press conference?)

Well what do ya know, I was wrong!

ESRB said:
In fulfilling a key aspect of the self-regulatory mission of the ESRB, the Advertising Review Council (“ARC”) is responsible for the implementation, administration, and enforcement of advertising guidelines adopted by the interactive entertainment software industry.

Therefore, all materials produced and distributed by a company for promotional purposes (including demos, trailers, or videos), regardless of whether the company paid for media placement, will be considered “qualifying advertising” and subject to the same standards and review.

When conducting a compliance review, ARC will examine whether an advertisement meets and conforms to the following Principles, with particular focus on whether it satisfies the following core Guidelines. In so doing, ARC will consider both the spirit as well as the specific text of these Principles and Guidelines.

Companies must not specifically target advertising for entertainment software products rated “Teen,” “Mature,” or “Adults Only” to consumers for whom the product is not rated as appropriate.

I'm completely wrong, that last point sounds very much like what Cactus described. Nintendo's games reel supposedly includes Teen and Mature games, so the ESRB would have to review the video to make sure it wasn't trying to sell those specific games to little kids.

Desperado

Truth101 said:
When they launched the Gamecube they took a small loss on each system.
Ah, you're right. I believe they were turning a profit pretty quickly, though (within months, IIRC.)

Gravijah

herzogzwei1989 said:
That was 2004 & 2006, times have changed.

I don't know, I think the huge graphical difference back then was just as important. I don't see how it is any more important today than back then. The Wii can't even do 720P.

Truth101

Banned
The screen when detached contains its own memory so developers can store data on it, so gamers can play whatever the developer designs for the screen-only use
- When the screen is attached to the controller it works by streaming content directly from the console
- Nintendo are giving developers ideas other than just having it function as a quick menu screen for games while attached, or as a simple tamagochi-like mini-game when detached

Even though the rumor is probably fake this one piece of information, seems to me how the controller would actually function.

-This idea makes the screen not integral to play, but you each system will come with one screen.
-It makes it affordable to buy new controllers, as you could buy the controller separate
from the screen.
-It gives the screen a function outside of streaming games. IE it allows for simple mini-games, much like you find on Smartphones/tablets to be played away from the console.

It just sounds like an incredibly reasonable list of functions, that would work well for Nintendo. because of a few things.

-Portability
-Casual Draw

Also I would love if Open World Mario comes true, because SM64 is superior to Galaxy
::Runs to hide before GAF attacks ::

Gravijah said:
Don't worry, zombie Artoon are currently toiling away in the graveyard making it.
Last game they developed was FlingSmash on Wii. I wonder if they'll ever get the chance to make another Yoshi game. Wouldn't mind Good Feel giving it a shot though!

dvolovets

Eh, I dunno, a lot of these rumors are matching up. I know it's pretty easy to BS this stuff, but for some reason I think the open world Mario game will turn out to be true...

Fantastical said:
Did someone just knock the gravity mechanic of Super Mario Galaxy? Clearly this information is wrong because this person has no soul.

Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite Nintendo game ever. I'm a SEGA fan by nature, was never really a Nintendo fan until Project Dolphin/GameCube. Twilight Princess was my favorite Nintendo game until Galaxy came along and everyone that reads my posts probably knows how much I love Twilight Princess. So I'm dying for Super Mario Galaxy 3 or a 'Super Mario Universe' that continues the amazing direction that EAD Tokyo took with the gravity-based gameplay and the visuals. Even if Cafe is only on par with Xbox 360, imagine what EAD Tokyo could do with that much more power than Wii. It boggles the mind, my mind.

GT Vespene said:
Also remember that announcements in these press conferences are pretty fluid. They might add or pull debuts depending on the air surrounding the competition. I don't think Nintendo has many punches to pull though. The conference will probably be 25% Wii, 35% 3DS and 40% Cafe.
40% cafe sounds logical if the system where coming out this year, which we know its not. If anything, I expect it be like last year and sit near 15% like the 3DS did. Far to early for anything to be truly final and to showcase heavily. Drop some names and a few clips and they are golden.

ferr

Truth101 said:
Even though the rumor is probably fake this one piece of information, seems to me how the controller would actually function.
I see the controller being less relevant as a console controller and more relevant as competition to Apple. I can't make sense of how the controller would aid gaming when your eyes should be locked on to the TV. I can easily see the big deal being that this controller is aimed at the same casual crowd currently playing the Wii that would love to have a tablet device.

Truth101

Banned
ferr said:
I see the controller being less relevant as a console controller and more relevant as competition to Apple. I can't make sense of how the controller would aid gaming when your eyes should be locked on to the TV. I can easily see the big deal being that this controller is aimed at the same casual crowd currently playing the Wii that would love to have a tablet device.

Yeah, that is were I as going with it. But rather than competition for Apple, I think Nintendo sees tablets/smartphones in general as a possible threat to future market-share.

dwu8991

Banned
dvolovets said:
Eh, I dunno, a lot of these rumors are matching up. I know it's pretty easy to BS this stuff, but for some reason I think the open world Mario game will turn out to be true...

Yeah, but none of the rumours involve any motion games though.

Truth101

Banned
dwu8991 said:
Yeah, none of the rumours involve any motion games.

The way I look at is that while Nintendo is still going to support motion gaming and offer backwards compatibility with the Motion + they don't need to advertise it as much anymore, because they have already established motion gaming. So, whatever new draw Nintendo's console has will be what is supported more strongly, until it is also an established way of playing games.

antonz

Only 1 site ever really said Motion would continue to be a focus of Nintendo. I could see Nintendo more or less putting it on the side and implementing basic stuff into the Pad but primary days are dead

Truth101

Banned
Fantastical said:
I think 3rd parties got dev kits too late. I mean most of the 3DS launch games were ports even from companies that "get it".

I'm not talking about smaller 3rd party studios, I'm talking about the larger ones which had DEV KITS for long enough to put a at least a single decent game in the launch window. The only ones I would give an exception to are Capcom.

One of the biggest failings is that the majority of 3rd parties are failing to implement any type of Online/DLC. Nintendo also dropped that ball when it came to this function.

JABEE

I kind of don't want to hear the cactus rumors because if they are real, it kind of ruins the E3 surprises.

Gravijah said:
Hahaha, Game Freak developing a console Pokemon? Easy way to tell those rumors are false.
Yeah, everything seemed kinda plausible until I got to that part. No way in hell is that ever happening.

JABEE said:
I kind of don't want to hear the cactus rumors because if they are real, it kind of ruins the E3 surprises.

I love to see rumors unfold. It will be just as much of a surprise to me if they do end up being true.

Besides, I'm really only focused on a few certain games at this point, and will forget most of the games on the rumor list. When I see them I'll go, "OH YEAH, That was on the list! Awesome!"

Truth101 said:
3rd parties dropped the ball not Nintendo.
Is Nintendo willing to make the same mistake thrice?

They did this once with the Wii (in 2008?) and the system went through a long drought when 3rd parties failed to step up. They're trying the same thing with the 3DS launch and the dearth of quality games is pointed out as one of the main reasons to its slow adoption rate (price being the other).

The logic of letting 3rd parties get on board without snuffing them out is sound but if that's their entire strategy for courting them, they're going to fail at it again.

linko9

I'll never understand why people believe huge lists of rumors like this that could only come from someone very high up in Nintendo... that's not where leaks come from.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Reads like a fanboy wishlist.
A lot of obvious "hey those concerns you had abou x aren't true it's the opposite!" stuff as well.

Aeana

That Cactus thing says that there's a game called "Trauma Center: Current Crisis."

If he's wrong I am coming for him with fury.

Krowley

Yeah, the most legit rumors are the ERSB thing since some additional information was discovered about some of his claims. For example: the ERSB DOES review trailer compilations to make sure adult games aren't being marketed to kids... So somebody at ERSB may have seen the nintendo trailer reel from E3. Also, a contra game seems to be on the way, which fits the rumor.

Still probably bogus, but a little more interesting.

antonz

Aeana said:
That Cactus thing says that there's a game called "Trauma Center: Current Crisis."

If he's wrong I am coming for him with fury.
Have to agree Trauma Center with the touchpad etc would amazing.

His calling Contra is pretty solid on the fact it was even teased exactly how he said the footage showed. just the C

ferr

antonz said:
Have to agree Trauma Center with the touchpad etc would amazing
Yeah, but how would you play it? Looking at the controller's screen and tv at the same time?

GCX

The OP rumors are definitely bs. I mean, stuff like "with Nintendo’s art style and the power the system, the games look stunning" reads like a fanboy wishlist.

Cactus rumors could have a bit more credibility.

Medalion said:
Is this how bad the hype has gotten we are now looking to 4chan for Wii Cafe rumors?

Most people write 4chan off for rumors, but a lot of juicy stuff gets dropped off there.

The problem is that it's such a wild card. You just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom