• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

1-D_FTW

Have used the PS 3D display for a month, swapped back with my trusty Dell U2410 and I am happy again.

Major problems
1. Glossy and reflective surface
2. Serious ghosting with games (I only have Musou games anf GT5, though, movies are not as much)
3. Black is whiter than grey
4. Dithering is very visible

Non-major problems
1. The speakers should be removed since they sound so bad but they make the TV bigger
2. Non-standard mount (not VESA)
3. Obviously limited colour space comparing to a similar priced monitor

That's a smorgusboard of bad, but the bolded is a real pet-peeve. Samsung does the same thing with their monitors (well, they don't even have non-standard). VESA mounts! Is it really that much to ask for?

Mzo

If Sony marketed a television for gamers with the lowest input lag possible and marketed it as such, I would buy it.

krae_man

for $250 (plus tax), should I bite?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Co...display&cp=1&lp=1&ref=39&CJPID=5556609&loc=01

The display is more of a luxury than a necessity for me. I wanted a TV/monitor in my bedroom and the 3D gimmick is an add on. I am thinking of ordering this. Thoughts? Or could it go even cheaper?

It's listed at that price on Gamestop.ca as well for any Canadians interrested.
SKC7N.png

params7

Banned
i bought it. God damn the visuals look better than my 3yr old 32" samsung lcd hdtv. I cannot go back to that TV after this for games, its almost like i just upgraded the GPU in my ps3. I don't know if the LCD tech improved or its the small screen size but this monitor is pure quality.

Slappers Only

i bought it. God damn the visuals look better than my 3yr old 32" samsung lcd hdtv. I cannot go back to that TV after this for games, its almost like i just upgraded the GPU in my ps3. I don't know if the LCD tech improved or its the small screen size but this monitor is pure quality.

- Brought to you by Carl's Jr?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
This display is too awful to justify anything over $100. It really is that janky. Terrible viewing angles, brutal backlight bleed, awful black bleed, awful sound, zero manufacturer support, shitty PSU. You've been warned.

ascully

I only had that happen to me once. It was weird. But I have a different issue with this TV.

You first turn it on it's set to 3d auto - and there is terrible ghosting/blur problems. Also, there seems to be this weird blue ghost image that kind of trails on darker backgrounds, grey on black etc. etc., it leaves a bluish after-color streak. And then, I press the 3d button on the back to side by side, top bottom, and BACK TO 3d auto, and oddly, the ghosting problem minimizes significantly...the fuck?

Can any of you guys try this. On PS3 - go to netflix, to the main browsing screen. And move your cursor up and down through the columns, you'll notice really bad ghosting. And then press the 3d button on the back right to go to side by side, top bottom, and then back to 3d auto - and then the ghosting mostly goes away. This does not seem normal at all. However, I've exchanged this TV...two fucking times, and all three units I've had have this problem? I think it may be a production run that a lot of the stores in Vegas received...I don't know. Shit's getting annoying.

Had mine since launch and I have to switch that every time I turn it on. Not sure what the issue is I asked Sony and they said they have never heard of such a thing.

leroidys

Man even with all the bad reviews I'm still tempted for 200 + glasses + game + shipping... has anyone had a good experience with it? It seems to review highly by professional reviewers that have had theirs for several months. Maybe sony just sent them all the non-faulty ones...

Man even with all the bad reviews I'm still tempted for 200 + glasses + game + shipping... has anyone had a good experience with it? It seems to review highly by professional reviewers that have had theirs for several months. Maybe sony just sent them all the non-faulty ones...

I had mine for only a few days/weeks before I returned it and bought the TV I'm using now. The colors looked washed out if you viewed the TV even slightly off-angle from what I remember. If you don't care that much about 3D, go for a similar priced ~32" set. If you do, you can't go wrong with a passive set since they currently have the least amount of crosstalk. Otherwise, I'd say wait it out a bit longer since new 3D panels (assuming you're interested in 3D) are coming out soon I think.

leroidys

I had mine for only a few days/weeks before I returned it and bought the TV I'm using now. The colors looked washed out if you viewed the TV even slightly off-angle from what I remember. If you don't care that much about 3D, go for a similar priced ~32" set. If you do, you can't go wrong with a passive set since they currently have the least amount of crosstalk. Otherwise, I'd say wait it out a bit longer since new 3D panels (assuming you're interested in 3D) are coming out soon I think.

Thanks for the impressions

Dicer

Banned
I've had mine for a while now and i think it's a fantastic set, idk I guess I might be in the minority but I love the damned thing

I've had it since Christmas. I love it. But I barely played games on it, it's mostly just for watching HD TV. So I've used it for 3D for less than 10 hours total the 5 months I've had it. But I really like the picture quality. If people point out the bad things with it I'd probably notice it, but as it it, I'm fine with it for watching TV and (as of yesterday) hooking it up to a laptop to play Diablo III.

andylsun

Thinking about springing for one of these now. Target has them for $250. Had a gaming evening at a friend's house last night and I took my PS3. He's got a $8000 LG 3D TV (no idea what model, but it had two remotes, one with a pointer for the TV menu's).

My first experience of 3D gaming outside of the 3DS and it was incredible. Couldn't believe the image quality on Wipeout Fury, how solid and stable it looked. 3D was rock solid. Also tried Super Stardust HD, which again was incredible, and GT5 which had crosstalk issues in cockpit mode, but fine in other views.

If I can get anything like the image stability and depth from those games on the Playstation display then will be very happy indeed.

Edit: I've a laptop (macbook pro) with a ATI 6770M graphics chip and a moshi mini-displayport to HDMI adapter). Can I also use the display for 3D gaming under Windows? Nvidia has the 3D Vision feature, but can't get a clear cut answer of what feature (hydravision?) ATI have for this. Looks like the moshi adapter may be a limiting factor as well.

I still think it's great as a normal TV.

I wouldn't buy it for $199, unless it came with the second pair of glasses. Otherwise you're buying the 2nd pair for $60 which kills the sale price.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I guess if you're one of those super anal types who loves to complain. My only complaints are about the shitty speakers and dark, laggy 3D. It suits my needs just fine.

It's just the smearing of the blacks whenever there's movement. It's very distracting whether movie or game.

I bought this last November and overall it is fantastic. I use it mainly as a computer monitor because I built a new machine at that time and the old monitor wasn't going to do. So I went with this because I wanted to try PC 3D gaming.

I don't know why people are having ghosting issues. I have yet to have any. And 3D blu ray is fantastic. I bought Arcsoft Total Media 5 with an online coupon discount and never looked back at Cyberlink or any other program.

My only advice is to make sure you read up on your 3D video card. There are a few that don't support this monitor. Otherwise enjoy. It's worth it.

ascully

I wouldn't have known there was any smearing if other people hadn't complained about it.

Smearing goes away totally if you press the 3D button 3 times after you turn it on. No idea why but it works. I bought the PS3 remote because it has a 3D button and you can just click it a few times then get on with gaming.

Smearing goes away totally if you press the 3D button 3 times after you turn it on. No idea why but it works. I bought the PS3 remote because it has a 3D button and you can just click it a few times then get on with gaming.

This is true. The smearing does go away if you press the 3D button on the back three times. Well, note entirely. But significantly. I don't know what that is either, so random wtf.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

I will try this when I get home. If true and it helps this display will be redeemed.

XxCGSxX

I think I'm going to get this since I'm short of money and I want a TV for my room. Is the smearing thing only when 3D is on or is it with 2D also? If there's smearing also on 2d does the 3d button trick work for it? Thanks!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think I'm going to get this since I'm short of money and I want a TV for my room. Is the smearing thing only when 3D is on or is it with 2D also? If there's smearing also on 2d does the 3d button trick work for it? Thanks!

this isn't a tv. you'd need a cable/satellite box to get television.

ascully

I will try this when I get home. If true and it helps this display will be redeemed.

It does help a ton, just press the 3d button until it cycles through the different modes then back to normal again. Good test is the 360 dashboard when you scroll between tabs.

smr00

Banned
If it was a 32"+ i would bite on it but it's just too small to replace my bedroom TV and my living room TV, i wouldn't mind owning it but i really have no where to put the thing unless i mount it above my 40" in my room or stick it on top of my dresser.

I really wish they would of put out bigger budget sized ones.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Pressing the 3D button 3 times reduced the color smearing dramatically. It's still there but it's half the blur fest to what it was.

5.3/10.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bought it today, got it for 200 and also got- 2 pairs of 3d glasses, motorstorm, and mlb 12. Unbelievable deal.

I know it's early the picture on this is outstanding, I don't understand the complaints.

I hit 3D 3 times and I might just be imagining it, but I think it looks better watching HD cable tv.

Bought it today, got it for 200 and also got- 2 pairs of 3d glasses, motorstorm, and mlb 12. Unbelievable deal.

I know it's early the picture on this is outstanding, I don't understand the complaints.

$200 with the 2nd pair of glasses? holy shit. I'm kinda regretting teh 3d since i never use it, and kinda hope for a passive 3d tv in the future. but $200 for two pairs and this quality of tv is dang good.

Bread

Banned

Whoa, I'm buying it tomorrow if they have that deal at my gamestop.

Top Bottom