• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color Appreciation Thread

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
GBC_Warlocked_Box.jpg

There was a magic period towards the mid-end of the GBC's life where devs were trying to cram the seemingly impossible onto a cart. There was Capcom's aborted attempt at bringing over a port of the original Resident Evil, there was that failed attempt at an FPS called Tyrannosaurus Tex, and then there was the Bits Studio/Nintendo RTS Warlocked that actually made it to market. A very primitive Warcraft-esque game, but man do I remember having a lot of fun with it. I don't usually like the genre but this one was very accessible and fun to my 14-year-old self.

EDIT: Didn't see that this was mentioned in the OP but happy to see it was!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pietepiet said:
Trip World

tw.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkFq0CKVqc

Truly gorgeous GameBoy game by Sunsoft, who also made the amazing Mr. Gimmick on NES. I really hope this one comes to the 3DS Virtual Console (and considering Sunsoft put Ufouria on the Wii Virtual Console, this might actually happen :) )

Very interesting looking, and the music for that one level at least is awesome.

Trip World is great stuff, manages to have beautiful graphics with very little of the blurring issues GB games usually present. Quite short and easy, but always interesting and imaginative.

I also recommend Sunsoft's Looney Tunes game.

197796_27929_front.jpg

There are quite a few good Looney Tunes games on GB/C, actually. Martian Alert/Revenge were both hugely enjoyable, and Daffy Duck: Fowl Play is a gorgeously animated and tense platformer.

DMG-01

I've been interested in both Trip World and Gimmick! for a while now, but I've never had success in finding either for purchase. Would any of you have any recommendations as to where I could buy them (esp. Trip World)?

Pietepiet

Nope, I'm still looking for them myself. Don't expect to find Gimmick! for cheap unless you get really lucky at a garage sale or whatever. There was one copy on eBay a while ago that went for like 300 bucks I think.

I've never even seen Trip World on eBay or anywhere else :\

Jazzem

Great thread :D Much love for the original Game Boy here.

One I really enjoyed was Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Sports, which had a bunch of interesting mini-game takes on sports. The tennis still decimates me :|

Mario's Picross, Mario Land 2, Wario Land 1, Kirby's Dream Land, and Pokemon Trading Card Game are the only Game Boy games I've played that I don't believe have aged at all. Putting aside nostalgia, I can play these today for just as long as any other game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Zelda: Oracles games were my introduction to the franchise, and they really molded my expectations for Zelda games. Such fantastic experiences.

thomaser

Another great title: Shadow Warriors (or Ninja Gaiden Shadow). The best Ninja Gaiden game ever in my opinion :)

Ninja_gaiden_screen.jpg

It also has a fantastic soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV7vDcMtRO4)
Sounds like a Castlevania game. Same composer?

There were tons of great soundtracks on the original Game Boy, especially if you listened using headphones.

hank_tree

+1 for Kirby's Block Ball. That's a fantastic game. This threads has encouraged me to buy a silver GameBoy Pocket on eBay. I had one when I was younger but I'm not sure where it is now.

Came here to recommend gargoyles quest and batman, but found relief in the fact that they were in the ot and first page. Never change GAF!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Didn't know about Nobunaga's Ambition for Game Boy! I'll have to pick it up from eBay.

I haven't been able to find Trip World though :(

Recently picked up this silly RPG - Great Greed

gfs_46676_2_1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Repeating some of the games already mentioned, I thought these are also quite noteworthy games:

GB
* Bionic Commando
* Castlevania The Adventure
* Castlevania II - Belmont's Revenge
* Castlevania Legends
* Cat Trap
* Contra The Alien Wars
* Duck Tales
* Duck Tales 2
* Final Fantasy Legend
* Final Fantasy Legend II
* Final Fantasy Legend III
* Fortified Zone
* Game & Watch Gallery
* Gargoyle's Quest <- Awesome
* Kid Dracula
* Kirby's Block Ball
* Kirby's Dream Land
* Kirby's Dream Land 2
* Kirby's Pinball Land
* Mario Picross
* Mega Man series
* Metroid II
* Mystic Quest
* Ninja Gaiden
* Operation C
* Pop 'n Twinbee
* Rodland
* Rolan's Curse
* Rolan's Curse II
* Super Mario Land 2
* Sword of Hope
* Sword of Hope 2
* Tetris
* Trip World

GBC
* Blaster Master: Enemy Below
* Deja Vu I+II
* Game & Watch Gallery 2
* Game & Watch Gallery 3
* Lufia
* Magical Chase
* Magi Nation
* Mario Golf
* Mario Tennis
* Metal Gear Solid
* Pokemon Trading Card Game <--- New entry plz
* Shadowgate Classic
* Shantae
* Survival Kids
* Zelda - Link's Awakening DX
* Zelda Oracles

So generally, what is the average cost of the decent (PAL) GB/GBC games on eBay? I own both systems and have a load of games somewhere in the house but this thread is tempting me to start buying what I don't own. I thought I'd be content with the 3DS VC, but now I'm not so sure :p

All those games in the OP + Tetris, G&W Gallery, Loony Toons, Contra Alien Wars, Fortified Zone, Elevator Action, Milon's Secret Castle, and Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

Gaming bliss

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm kind of partial to James Bond 007 on the GameBoy. It was my first GameBoy game, but even so it's a fun adventure. It's like a modern version of Link's Awakening, except your jetting off all over the world rather than being contained on one island.

Link's Awakening still stands as one of my favorite Zelda games of all time. Fave story, world, and everything.

Also, this is still my all time fave Nintendo system... Always preferred Portables over home consoles and this was my gateway drug into it when it was my first gaming system I ever owned.

PokéKong

Donkey Kong '94 deserves attention not just for it's remarkable puzzle platforming design, but for introducing Mario's whole extended repertoire of fancy maneuvers which would become the basis of how he controls in Super Mario 64 and beyond.
And unfortunately the only real successor it got was the GBA remake Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, which totally mucked it up with it's hideous prerendered sprites and not quite nailing the platforming feel. And then it just morphed into the Minis series, which is really more of a spiritual successor to Mario & Wario.

DMG-01

I'm going take this time to pimp some cool Game boy related things here. I'm not in any way affiliated with these projects, but I think that they are pretty cool and worth sharing.

For anyone who has some shelf space and wants to keep a nice looking collection, I'd recommend http://www.thecoverproject.net/. The site has covers that you can print out and slip into DS cases which are easily modified to house Game boy games. Also, the site isn't exclusively for GB covers and covers (haha) pretty much every system.

If you're into music composition, I'd suggest that you look into Little Sound DJ. I haven't really dabbled with LSDJ myself so I don't know if there is anything comparable or even better, but I've only ever heard great things about it.

Finally, if you are a DIYer and want to pimp out your DMG/Pocket, head over to nonfinite's shop to pick up some backlight panels. I've installed 3 of the V2 kits so far myself and while it's a mild challenge, it really enhances the experience.

Jazzem

Oh, here's another great obscure licensed one:

snoopysmagicshow11boxfr.jpg
Snoopy's Magic Show

Has very little to do with Snoopy (I think the license was added in western localization), but it's a great little puzzle-maze style of game. Awesome music too:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVS3z0iKqg

As for Game Boy game prices, £3 tends to be the sweet spot, though it can vary (I got Mega Man 1 for £2 recently :D). Thankfully a number of decent-great games are pretty common and cheap, with the usual rarities on the side (good luck getting Mega Man V...).

DMG-01 said:
Finally, if you are a DIYer and want to pimp out your DMG/Pocket, head over to nonfinite's shop to pick up some backlight panels. I've installed 3 of the V2 kits so far myself and while it's a mild challenge, it really enhances the experience.

Argh, I really want to do this, but not sure if I have the guts to...would like a Game Boy Light too :/

jtrov

Some of my favorite GB/GBC games off the top of my head:
TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
200px-758641-teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_fall_of_the_foot_clan_coverart_large.png

I have fond memories of this game as a child, but that is probably because of how much of a TMNT fanboy I was. I can't remember if it was hard or not, but I remember throwing a shit ton of ninja stars.

Battletoads
200px-Battletoads_GB_cover.jpg

Battletoads and Super Mario Land were my first two GB games, so this game definitely holds a special place in my heart. It's hard-nose difficulty was perfect for me as a child, because I got so many damn hours out of it without actually beating it. I found it easier than the NES version, but I still never beat either of those two games.

Megaman Xtreme
200px-Mmxtreme_box.jpg

I absolutely loved the X series as a kid, and having Megaman Xtreme on the go was just awesome. I believe it had some new bosses as well, but my memory could serve me wrong. I always wanted to get Xtreme 2, but I never did. Hopefully it ends up on the Virtual Console at some time.

I would love to see these games eventually on the 3DS Virtual Console, but I highly doubt TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan, and Battletoads will ever see the light of day.

Roto13

How about some Amazing Penguin love? I really liked this game a lot. Very unique and very charming.

jZ7J2.png

I was all about the Game Boy back in the day. My very first game console. The Game Boy virtual console games are pretty much the only reason I'm tempted to buy a 3DS.

Korosenai

Does anyone know where I could get a brand new unopened gameboy advance? I just recently wanted to buy one for the nostalgia.

Alchemy

821865-quest_01_large.jpg

I loved this stupid game. Got rid of all the problems of the N64 version by stripping it down for the GB, which vastly improved it. Solid RPG.

Also:
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.
Ghost Babel was amazing.

flak57

ryan-ts said:
You did include the Donkey Kong Land games though, which I felt held up pretty poorly and I think they are not all worth playing through these days. On the other hand, I absolutely adore Pokemon Silver and still consider it to be my favourite game in the entire series to play through, even over the remakes of the same game.

Obviously this is your thread and are entitled to shape the OP as you want to but I just thought I'd throw my own opinion out there.
I'm curious as to how DKL2-3 have aged poorly. As much as I like that there were original level archetypes in DKL1, it featured a number of extremely annoying control and design issues that were completely fixed for the second two, which feel more or less like the SNES games aside from a few minor differences.

Lock n Chase was a really fun pac-man offshoot that mixes in some different gameplay mechanics.

2nhdjiv.jpg

mrkgoo

My GameBoy Classic, Gameboy Pocket, GameBoy advance SP, GameBoy Advance Micro, Super Gameboy were all stolen in a robbery, and threads like this just bring a tear to my eye.

Thieves probably sold the lot for like $10 or something too.

Nostalgia, childhood memories, good times.

bummyhead

Would this be a bad time to mention the GBC post of Crystalis that completely ruined one of the best games ever made?

DMG-01

Well I just impulse bought Donkey Kong Land III, Tennis, Alleyway, Metal Walker, and Kirby's Block Ball because this thread has gotten me back in the GB mood. DKLIII and KBB have been on my list to get for a while and Metal Walker seems to be a fun enough Pokemon-esque RPG. I don't expect Tennis or Alleyway to be too great, but they're launch titles and I have this problem where I want to add games to my collection of GB games more than I want to play them sometimes. :p

Roto13

flak57 said:
I'm curious as to how DKL2-3 have aged poorly. As much as I like that there were original level archetypes in DKL1, it featured a number of extremely annoying control and design issues that were completely fixed for the second two, which feel more or less like the SNES games aside from a few minor differences.
Pre-rendered graphics are ugly enough in full colour is how. :p

bengraven said:
How do the GB Harvest Moons hold up?

I first played the series on PSone.
I actually only played the first one, but it's pretty much an extension of the SNES original. It's very basic but that's why I like it so much, it's just the essence of what makes the series so appealing.

mandiller

Why on earth does this thread not yet have Metal Gear Solid listed? It took this long? I've still got my original copy. It's awesome.

mgsgb.jpg

jgminto

I miss my Game Boy Color so much. It must have enabled some telepathic ability within me because I could walk around with that thing without looking up and never hitting anything. My game collection was pretty small but there were some great (and not so great) games in there.

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
280px-SuperMarioBrosDeluxe.jpg
Super_Mario_Bros._Deluxe_GBC_ScreenShot1.jpg

The best I have ever been at a Mario game. I doubt I would be able to beat this now.

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Pok%C3%A9mongold.png
41d1aWJD%2B%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61VSZVD8X5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I still don't know why I wanted every game of that generation. I only had one game boy and there was no way to connect the games but I played all of them at the same time. Too bad I wasn't very good back then. I don't think I ever gave anything to my pokemon to hold.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
20182288-260x260-0-0_Harry+Potter+and+the+Sorcerer+s+Stone+20182288.jpg
Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerers_Stone_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

I don't think I could play through this now but I loved it as a kid. The cheap sound, the lame mini-games, it was great.

Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends
20182313-260x260-0-0_Roswell+Conspiracies+Aliens+Myths+and+Legends.jpg
Roswell%20Conspiracies%20-%20Aliens,%20Myths%20&%20Legends%20%28U%29%20%28M3%29-2.png

This game confused me so much it took me almost a year to learn how to play it. And then I lost it somewhere.

Definitely the greatest handheld of all time.

RomanticHeroX said:
197527_111026_front.jpg

Using the PAL cover cause it's so good.

Hell yeah, I can remember buying this with my mum when I was a youngin.

Oh and.

james_bond_007_11_box_front.jpg

Best James Bond game there has been. Top down rpg action game with a kick ass story.

jgminto said:
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
20182288-260x260-0-0_Harry+Potter+and+the+Sorcerer+s+Stone+20182288.jpg
Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerers_Stone_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

I don't think I could play through this now but I loved it as a kid. The cheap sound, the lame mini-games, it was great.
Hell yes. This and Chamber of Secrets were surprisingly awesome.

I'm probably the only person that's played it, but I remember borrowing this game from a friend:
20257254-260x260-0-0_Xtreme+Sports.jpg

It was a pretty neat Wayforward developed sports game. One of the most interesting features was an unlockable debug mode, which featured a scrapbook, complete with a dev diary and concept art. Pretty damn cool for a GBC game.

Roto13

MrPing1000 said:
james_bond_007_11_box_front.jpg

Best James Bond game there has been. Top down rpg action game with a kick ass story.
That game was great. I remember playing the Blackjack minigame so much that they upgraded my hotel room to a high-rollers suite. :p

Boney

Banned
I hate Mario Deluxe because the screen is just way to small.

If it came out on a decent sized screen stuff, best game evar.

bengraven

mandiller said:
Why on earth does this thread not yet have Metal Gear Solid listed? It took this long? I've still got my original copy. It's awesome.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/images/mgsgb.jpg

Ghost Babel IS MGS for GB.

Boney said:
I hate Mario Deluxe because the screen is just way to small.

If it came out on a decent sized screen stuff, best game evar.

Mario Deluxe came just as my big 80s nostalgia kick was starting. I ended up buying a Color and Deluxe the day it came out and was so damn hyped for it before hand I literally had dreams about playing Mario. I don't know why.

alf717

I just fixed up my teal Game Boy Color (broken speaker) and am going to play Mega Man V and Mega Man III at some point.

As well as:
Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Dragon Warrior I+II
Dragon Warrior III

Top Bottom