• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
aceface said:
Maybe Ned would have killed Jon if not for Lyanna's pleading with him not to. For someone honorable like Ned it's a tough choice., King vs. sister.

Hasn't it been made abundantly clear that Ned will not participate in the killing of a child, even when commanded to by the king? And that the king has not asked him to do this before AGOT?

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Wait so Roose Bolton killed Robb, Tyrion killed Tywin and Gendry killed Biter, right?

That felt good.
Walder frey's musicians killed robb. Or soldiers pretending to be musicians.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
LaserBuddha said:
Hasn't it been made abundantly clear that Ned will not participate in the killing of a child, even when commanded to by the king? And that the king has not asked him to do this before AGOT?

You could argue they could not have known that. At the time Ned was barely 20 and he never fought in tourneys and so he was virtually unknown. Even 15 years later when he goes to Kings Landing most people there know nothing about him and are surprised at how honorable and just he is. Still doesnt make it any less weird that they left three Kingsguard there.

Had they stayed with their Prince and King they might not of lost the war. The only reason Robert won the Battle of the Trident, which won him the war, was because he killed Rhaegar, had they been there to protect him that probably would not have occurred and instead Robert would have died and the rebellion would have ended with him.

elrechazao said:
Walder frey's musicians killed robb. Or soldiers pretending to be musicians.

They wounded him but Bolton delivered the final blow with a sword through the heart.

I think Roose actually makes the final kill.

"Jaime Lannister sends his regards," then dead Robb.
True, they mention the pink cloak of bolton I believe at that point. I still think robb was essentially dead at that point - he had 3 crossbow bolts in him, catelyn's begging for him to be spared notwithstanding.

aceface

LaserBuddha said:

Yeah, I forgot about that, haha. Do they ever explain the circumstances by which it was Ned that ended up going to the Tower of Joy and not Robert?

Clipjoint

This thread feels like running around naked in the rain.

We should be getting a flashback? scene with the Mad King torturing the Starks in the next episode. I can't wait - people are going to flip the fuck out when Ned gets his little shave off the top.

The flayed man is the best sigil, ever.

aceface

Enduin said:
Had they stayed with their Prince and King they might not of lost the war. The only reason Robert won the Battle of the Trident, which won him the war, was because he killed Rhaegar, had they been there to protect him that probably would not have occurred and instead Robert would have died and the rebellion would have ended with him.

I think that Rhaegar knew from the prophecy that he would be killed. They said he was always sad. He thought it was more important that Jon live.

totowhoa

Banned
Halfway through book 2 I WANT TO READ THIS THREAD SO BAD. AGHHH. I'm loving this series but I hate that I have live four billion pages left. I need to sit down and power through a book or two over the next month and catch the fuck up soon.

sharbhund

aceface said:
Yeah, I forgot about that, haha. Do they ever explain the circumstances by which it was Ned that ended up going to the Tower of Joy and not Robert?
I think Robert was injured on the Trident, which is why Ned made it to King's Landing before him.

Sklorenz said:
Halfway through book 2 I WANT TO READ THIS THREAD SO BAD. AGHHH. I'm loving this series but I hate that I have live four billion pages left. I need to sit down and power through a book or two over the next month and catch the fuck up soon.

GET OUT NOW!!! You're in dangerous territory.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
aceface said:
I think that Rhaegar knew from the prophecy that he would be killed. They said he was always sad. He thought it was more important that Jon live.

Could definitely be true, kind of a dick move by him to then make all his men go into battle knowing theyd lose and he'd die, but you never know. I think only Howland Reed can clear all this up, he holds many keys one of the biggest being what exactly happened at the Tower of Joy and Ned's last secrets along with a number of other things.

Finally got all the episodes encoded for my Zune HD and actually ordered the damn book... lol. I simply cannot wait for a all the moaning and wailing after the next few weeks. Even then the non-readers are going to think all the stuff the want to happen will happen in season 2.

sharbhund said:
I think Robert was injured on the Trident, which is why Ned made it to King's Landing before him.
Hadn't there been some bad blood between them over the killing of rhaegar's wife and children, and ned was off "cleaning up " the last of the opposition? I seem to remember some reference to them not really reconciling with each other until Balon's rebellion.

edit: from the wiki of fire and ice -
Princess Elia Martell and her children, Aegon and Rhaenys Targaryen, are brutally murdered by Lannister bannermen, causing a rift between Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon. Ned Stark and Howland Reed defeat the Kingsguard holding Lyanna prisoner, only to find her dying. Ned and Robert are reconciled.

elrechazao said:
Hadn't there been some bad blood between them over the killing of rhaegar's wife and children, and ned was off "cleaning up " the last of the opposition? I seem to remember some reference to them not really reconciling with each other until Balon's rebellion.

Yeah there was bad blood, but I think they reconciled after Lyanna died.

edit: nvm late

Sklorenz said:

1.> GTFO, you will thank us all later.

2.> You may as well slow down and savor the books because you will be re-reading those pages over and over again my friend.

dabig2

It's kinda funny, but immediately after episode 2 I knew I had to read the books to confirm 1 thing I was certain was going to happen before I got spoiled - Ned's death.

I mean, come on, "We'll talk about your mother when I get back". I've watched way too many shows and movies to let that trope skip on by. At that point I knew either Jon or Ned was dead. But then another fact quickly came to me.....Sean Fucking Bean is playing Ned! This dude loves dying in his work almost more than anybody.

So I wonder how many other unsullied viewers are probably thinking the same thing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
dabig2 said:
It's kinda funny, but immediately after episode 2 I knew I had to read the books to confirm 1 thing I was certain was going to happen before I got spoiled - Ned's death.

I mean, come on, "We'll talk about your mother when I get back". I've watched way too many shows and movies to let that trope skip on by. At that point I knew either Jon or Ned was dead. But then another fact quickly came to me.....Sean Fucking Bean is playing Ned! This dude loves dying in his work almost more than anybody.

So I wonder how many other unsullied viewers are probably thinking the same thing.

HAHAHA so true! I cant think of a movie hes in where he doesnt die.

Enduin said:
HAHAHA so true! I cant think of a movie hes in where he doesnt die.

Ronin. He gets smacked around like a little bitch, but he lives. Although he's barely a supporting character in it.

And Troy. In that he gets the last line! Wish someone had made The Odyssey with Bean in it, that would have been awesome.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ronin. He gets smacked around like a little bitch, but he lives. Although he's barely a supporting character in it.

A movie I bet he wish he died in.

And Troy. In that he gets the last line! Wish someone had made The Odyssey with Bean in it, that would have been awesome.
Silent Hill as well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's just a small pet peeve of mine but I hate how in the show they refer to them as White Walkers most of the time. I don't even remember that name being used in the book. I've always thought of them as the Others.

Tyrion killing Shae and his father was one of the greatest moments in the series. I love Varys for helping him. He's always been very interesting. I hope The Hound is alive :(

neoanarch

Jenga said:
didn't crows mentioned something about a pirate targaryen bastard milling around who might stake a claim?

it's been years so i don't remember, but i did just finish SoS so ill get on that soon enough

The Golden Company? a mercenary group like the Brave Companions. Founded by one of the Blackfyres and a high chance of being led by one of his descendants.

neoanarch

Basileus777 said:
Bittersteel founded it.

Thats right he was one of the "Great Bastards" but only Daemon took the name Blackfyre because of the sword. The Golden Company may also be in possession of 'Blackfyre' the sword.

Can't wait to get more info on what happened to the Greatjon. Will be interesting to see if someone attempts to free him and the other prisoners from the Red Wedding

ADWD early chapter spoiler :p
There's discussion that the two old men Ramsay Bolton talks to in Theon's presence are Umbers. Can't wait to see if that's true, and whether they'll truly side with the Boltons

diunxx

While re-reading ACOK I noticed that the poison that the maester put on Melissandre's wine was the same one that the Queen of Thorns used to kill Joffrey.

diunxx said:
While re-reading ACOK I noticed that the poison that the maester put on Melissandre's wine was the same one that the Queen of Thorns used to kill Joffrey.
Gahh, don't reopen old wounds. Fuck that bitch.

Piecake

LaserBuddha said:
Gahh, don't reopen old wounds. Fuck that bitch.

Who? Mellisandre or the Queen of thorns? I love the Queen of thorns! Mellisandre is pretty cool in a creepy religious nutjob sort of way too

Gonaria said:
Who? Mellisandre or the Queen of thorns? I love the Queen of thorns! Mellisandre is pretty cool in a creepy religious nutjob sort of way too

Mellisandre of course. She's more sinister than Cersei, and I never prayed for Cersei to get hers more than I did for Mellisandre during that part of the book.

Pikelet

sooperkool said:
The single greatest moment is Strong Belwas defeating Oznak zo Pahl
Having just reread book 3 part 2, i would have to say that the single greatest one-on-one combat scenes in the series is Oberyn Martell vs. Gregore Clegane. So much is on the line with just one battle: Tyrion's life, the Dornish alliance and long-delayed vengeance for the death and rape of children.

When the sun rises you just get the feeling that this is how legends are created in this world, it's just the definition of epic.

Pikelet said:
Having just reread book 3 part 2, i would have to say that the single greatest one-on-one combat scenes in the series is Oberyn Martell vs. Gregore Clegane. So much is on the line with just one battle: Tyrion's life, the Dornish alliance and long-delayed vengeance for the death and rape of children.

When the sun rises you just get the feeling that this is how legends are created in this world, it's just the definition of epic.
Oberyn should've stopped talking and killed the fucker.

LaserBuddha said:
Another example of how Martin fucks with us.
When I saw that Oberyn was having a very easy time of fighting him, I knew he would lose. I learned early on that the worst always happens in this series.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pikelet said:

If the show gets that far.. man thats gonna be an awesome scene.

BlueTsunami said:
If the show gets that far.. man thats gonna be an awesome scene.

I hope so. Action choreography for the most part has been this show's weakest aspect. See: pretty much everything in episode 8.

Of course there are exceptions.

Jarmel

Banned
diunxx said:

Wait I thought Littlefinger was responsible for Joffrey? One of my favorite scenes in the series. I can't wait to see the fucker on the ground chocking to death.

Pikelet

heliosRAzi said:
Oberyn should've stopped talking and killed the fucker.
That's what i liked about it though. When the battle seemed done, everything just took a horrible turn.

"I put my life into the viper's hands, and he dropped it"

Sad that we had to lose Oberyn though, i quite liked that character for the brief period in which we came to know him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom