• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish police arrests three over PSN Hack

nib95

Banned
Hackers should learn from this ordeal. People will follow you with the Robin Hood shit so long as you don't step on the very toes of those you claim to stand for. With this whole fiasco hackers chose to back one their own fellow members (Geohot) and instead go against millions of gamers and fellow fans with the whole PSN hack. It was a huge mistake on the hackers part. This attack on Sony inadvertently was an attack on gamers.

Usually gamers and forum types are the kind who back these hackers. Like I said, very bad move on their part.

Leonsito

This guys were arrested over the attacks to spanish sites due to the 15M movement, not because of the kiddy playstation attack, and I'm rooting for them despite hating this anonymous shit.

This country is fucked, these guys get jailed but all the politics and banks can do whatever they want with our asses, and if you raise your voice the police acts fast to beat you, fantastic.

fresquito

Leonsito said:
This guys were arrested over the attacks to spanish sites due to the 15M movement, not because of the kiddy playstation attack, and I'm rooting for them despite hating this anonymous shit.

This country is fucked, these guys get jailed but all the politics and banks can do whatever they want with our asses, and if you raise your voice the police acts fast to beat you, fantastic.
Yeah, I don't really know what's this got to do with gaming news at all. They have been accused of attacking party websites and some other official places. Nothing to do with gaming.

That said, this news is a big trainwreck, because I don't see how they can be charged for anything, let alone the "leader" part.

M.D said:
They'll by apologizing next year on Sony's E3 stage and say they didn't really like PSN, but Sony sold them on the idea and they're developing a new PSN

Bravo! That does seem to be a Sony E3 meme these days.

fresquito

Trevelyon said:
Are they hacking banks for their health? What's the story there.
It's very easy: In Spain, a large part of the society is awakening from their slumber and are starting to take the streets. Some high people are worried this will change the status quo which is fucking the country to the roots (45% youths without work, shitty democracy, etc). These high people are starting to take some actions against those fighting for their rights, this seems to be one of the actions. Of course, media is helping spreading their lies and shading some harming truths (for istance, the Euro treat that will be accepted next week and will fuck us to the bone, but no media is talking about it)

Probably not the answer you were expecting. Sorry, heh.

RockXLight said:
Yes, because Anonymous ruined so many people's lives with that PSN outage and everything.
This. I can't believe how many of you guys are so angry at Anonymous that you even forget what they did in the past and still do apart from the PSN hack...

Fuck those hackers for helping wikileaks! -.-

hamchan

RockXLight said:
Yes, because Anonymous ruined so many people's lives with that PSN outage and everything.

I couldn't buy Arcana Heart 3 because of the hackers. Fuck them and I hope they go to jail.

marrec

Banned
nib95 said:
Hackers should learn from this ordeal. People will follow you with the Robin Hood shit so long as you don't step on the very toes of those you claim to stand for. With this whole fiasco hackers chose to back one their own fellow members (Geohot) and instead go against millions of gamers and fellow fans with the whole PSN hack. It was a huge mistake on the hackers part. This attack on Sony inadvertently was an attack on gamers.

Usually gamers and forum types are the kind who back these hackers. Like I said, very bad move on their part.

1. Geohot isn't considered a Hacker.

2. It's probably already come out that these three aren't 'Leader of Anonymous' but are really just a group of script kiddies and all of their attacks involved DDoS.

I do agree that whoever attacked the PSN store didn't engender any sympathy from the usual suspects. But until one of those 'Robin Hood' figures is actually arrested then nothing will come of news like this.

Also, can we get a new internet law? The vagueness of the story on hackers getting arrested is inversely proportional to the time it takes for someone to post about them getting anally raped.

-KRS-

"Leaders of Anonymous" xD

I hate how everyone these days just miss-uses the word Hacker like it's nothing

Grinchy

Banned
I realize it's usually only like 2% of the people in these threads who are still stupid enough to defend the hackers, but it's still amazingly annoying to sift through.

These people committed a crime, and everyone wants to see them punished for it. What are you defending, you fucking twits?

fresquito

Grinchy said:
I realize it's usually only like 2% of the people in these threads who are still stupid enough to defend the hackers, but it's still amazingly annoying to sift through.

These people committed a crime, and everyone wants to see them punished for it. What are you defending, you fucking twits?
I realize only 2% read what this news is really about and understand what anonymous is.

Tworak

random scrub + loic = into jail
Grinchy said:

okay.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
fresquito said:
It's very easy: In Spain, a large part of the society is awakening from their slumber and are starting to take the streets. Some high people are worried this will change the status quo which is fucking the country to the roots (45% youths without work, shitty democracy, etc). These high people are starting to take some actions against those fighting for their rights, this seems to be one of the actions. Of course, media is helping spreading their lies and shading some harming truths (for istance, the Euro treat that will be accepted next week and will fuck us to the bone, but no media is talking about it)

Probably not the answer you were expecting. Sorry, heh.
Good to know that the disenfranchised, unemployed youth can still afford computers and can run servers to coordinate hacks from their homes. At least they can steal and sell information to feed their families.

Yes, I'm making stuff up and jumping to every possible conclusion I can think of. I'm not really being an ass.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The Praiseworthy said:
Hope this will make the hackers to think twice before hacking SONY again.... or will it not ?

anyway good news.

They will hack Sony even more because it's their fault people got arrested.

Silly hackers, now they know their doors and locks are poor security, they are better off now.

Corto

spanish_inquisition-766059.jpg

Leonsito

I'll repeat, they weren't arrested for hacking Sony websites, they were tracked since a long ago due to attacks to the ministry of culture website due to a law against emule and torrent websites, they extended those attacks later to spanish banks and another government pages.

That said, they guy arrested (the head of spanish Anonymous as they said) had a computer with an irc server where they coordinated the DDoS attacks.

Xavien

Leonsito said:
I'll repeat, they weren't arrested for hacking Sony websites, they were tracked since a long ago due to attacks to the ministry of culture website due to a law against emule and torrent websites, they extended those attacks later to spanish banks and another government pages.

That said, they guy arrested (the head of spanish Anonymous as they said) had a computer with an irc server where they coordinated the DDoS attacks.

lol, Anonymous is not a group, i guess "Anonymous" is the new boogie man.

Leonsito

Xavien said:

I was quoting the stupid terms by spanish police, they are clueless, or just trying to missinformate.

Fularu

Banned
It's prety sad how most of you don't realise/understand that without hackers, there would be no internet as we know it. No online banking, no online shopping, no secure (in part) networks, nothing.

But sure, lets wish death (or worse, rape in prison) on people because they expose the security flaws :)

Vagabundo

Xavien said:

The media and politico's love Anon. They are the new boogy man. Watch for new Anti-cyber-terrorism-InvasionOfPrivacy laws to be introduced. The War on Terror(TM) will become the War on CyberTerror(TM).

Tworak

Leonsito said:

thanks for clearing that up

Fularu said:
It's prety sad how most of you don't realise/understand that without hackers, there would be no internet as we know it. No online banking, no online shopping, no secure (in part) networks, nothing.

But sure, lets wish death (or worse, rape in prison) on people because they expose the security flaws :)
I'm personally not wishing anything on these people like some others here but i'm not going to be sympathetic towards people who commit criminal acts, people who know full well what the likely consequences are going to be if they're caught. It's irrelevant what positive things their actions may have caused in the past but i'll say again you deserve everything you get if you decide to break the law.

Fularu said:

I always thought these people were referred to as computer programmers, engineers, technicians, etc.

Exposing security flaws is one thing, but not at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Uh, don't the Police realise they were just trying to show Sony, the Spanish Banks and all those countries the flaws in their networks? Its not their fault, its Sonys fault.

Sew said:
Look, I know some pretty uncool stuff was done to Sony, but I can't believe how many people are implying that they hope these guys get raped in jail. Is that how strongly you really feel? About a large entity that just wants your money? If this is team Sony, then hack the fucking planet.
It's got nothing to do with love for Sony; the fact is, if anyone caused people's credit cards and personal info to be exposed, they deserve to be jailed, period. Have you ever had your identity stolen? It's not a good experience.

marrec

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
I'm personally not wishing anything on these people like some others here but i'm not going to be sympathetic towards people who commit criminal acts, people who know full well what the likely consequences are going to be if the're caught. It's irrelevant what positive things they may be responsible for in the past but i'll say again you deserve everything you get if you decide to break the law.
I don't think anyone is sympathetic toward them. I personally wish that when a group of script kiddies gets arrested for DDoS attacks the authorities would stop putting out a press release saying they arrested Mr. Anonymous himself.

jorma

is now taking requests
Grinchy said:

Read the posts you are "sifting through" and you'd know. Twat.

Xavien

Solid_Rain said:
I'm personally not wishing anything on these people like some others here but i'm not going to be sympathetic towards people who commit criminal acts, people who know full well what the likely consequences are going to be if they're caught. It's irrelevant what positive things their actions may have caused in the past but i'll say again you deserve everything you get if you decide to break the law.

I agree, but what concerns me is the vilifying of the word anonymous, as if to be anonymous would mean you're part of some secret underground club finding ways to do no good, subvert the rule of law and contribute to organized crime. Seems like a great way to gain support to pass some anti-privacy laws in favour of no-longer being able to be "anonymous".

Scary.

alstein

Grinchy said:

We could bring back the stocks and the pillory...

Somehow I really doubt these guys were behind the PSN hack, though they prob were minor script kiddies.

gcubed

Xavien said:
I agree, but what concerns me is the vilifying of the word anonymous, as if to be anonymous would mean you're part of some secret underground club finding ways to do no good, subvert the rule of law and contribute to organized crime. Seems like a great way to gain support to pass some anti-privacy laws in favour of no-longer being able to be "anonymous".

Scary.

And who's fault is that?

Fularu said:

there's actually a difference between hacking a network, finding out it's flaws, contacting the same corporation and telling them the problems they've found, lots of them actually found a job that way as security experts.
now hacking just because they're "mad" at some company, to steal personal information as many do, or to bring a network to it's knees just because they can it's illegal and a crime.

Fularu

Banned
kazuma_pt said:
there's actually a difference between hacking a network, finding out it's flaws, contacting the same corporation and telling them the problems they've found, lots of them actually found a job that way as security experts.
now hacking just because they're "mad" at some company, to steal personal information as many do, or to bring a network to it's knees just because they can it's illegal and a crime.
The odds of Anonymous beeing behind the PSN hack (as in, intrusion) are slim to none.

While I understand the frustration most people had with PSN's outage, it has a lot more to do with Sony's incompetence than with anything else.

They just didn't care enough about security

Top Bottom