• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish police arrests three over PSN Hack

marrec

Banned
params7 said:
Wait this is for the DDOS attacks or the database hack? If its ddos its not big surprise, lot of kids who don't know shit about hacking follow 4chan ddos tutorials and get caught.
We won't know for sure, probably ever, but it can be safely assume this is for the DDoS attack.

They are pumping it up as connected with the database hack, but the Spanish authorities are notorious for doing something rather unremarkable and then making it sound like they're single handedly making the internet safe for everyone.

Zoe said:
While the media is lumping the PSN attacks into one incident, I don't see any indication here that it's referring solely to the database attack. Anonymous did claim responsibility for the DDoS attacks preceding it, and if these guys took part in it, they deserve to be held accountable.

I absolutely agree, but lets not get the DDoS confused with the database hack.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Sew said:
Look, I know some pretty uncool stuff was done to Sony, but I can't believe how many people are implying that they hope these guys get raped in jail. Is that how strongly you really feel? About a large entity that just wants your money? If this is team Sony, then hack the fucking planet.

I don't think, it is just abt Sony. These guys stole people's personal details, CC info, stuff. That is pretty serious stuff.

jorma

is now taking requests
jcm said:
You seem awfully sure of what anon did or didnt do. Since anon doesn't have any real membership, how can you say? Anon is a bunch of asshole criminals with computers. That's it. There's no noble band of hackers there. Just the digital equivalent of vandals and thieves.

Oh wow. He can't be sure of what anon is or isn't but you can. That's all i get from this post.

smh

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
And this kids is why you dont mess with Lince's Killzone play time.

;)

X26

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
good job, arrest those eevvvvilllll hackers who destroyed our very livelihoods and those of corrupt corporations and banking institutions. oh wait. this is sad and being happy for their arrest is sad too, in my opinion

honestly, the last batch of juniors is the absolute worst

Fularu

Banned
Degen said:
*walks into your house, gathers all of your personal information*

what?

your door was unlocked.

you know, without people like me, you wouldn't have such a great door.

*leaves*
Bad analogy is bad

Also if someone doesn't have to forcefully enter youru house (by "breaking in") good luck getting your insurance to cover for your carefullness.

Hackers (in the real sense) mostly have the purpose of cracking security and expose its flaws in order to improve security. If servers are as secure as they are today, it's, for the most part, thanks to their work over the last 3 decades.

lherre

Accurate
anonymous-incautados--644x362.jpg

(lol)

Dizzy

Banned
Awesome. Can not believe some gaf members are defending this shit, some people take the console wars waaaay too seriously.

Riposte said:
It is so amazing people don't realize that Anonymous means anonymous.

LEADERS OF ANONYMOUS

AnonOps, which is the group that is responsible for many/most of the major large-scale attacks, is made up of a core group of the same people every time though. Some consider AnonOps to be the "leaders" of Anonymous.

Fularu said:
The odds of Anonymous beeing behind the PSN hack (as in, intrusion) are slim to none.

While I understand the frustration most people had with PSN's outage, it has a lot more to do with Sony's incompetence than with anything else.

They just didn't care enough about security

What about the part where there were files left on the PSN servers with Anonymous' motto?

Tworak

cpp_is_king said:
Didn't say it was difficult, I said that given that the file was there, it's more likely that it was them than wasn't
you're right. I just... keep thinking about the 4chan <-> ebaum lovers quarrel. kind of reminds me of that.

jcm

Fularu said:
Bad analogy is bad

Also if someone doesn't have to forcefully enter youru house (by "breaking in") good luck getting your insurance to cover for your carefullness.
Leaving your door unlocked isn't generally grounds to deny a claim, at least in the US. And it's not a bad analogy. You have no more right to break into my computer systems than you to do walk into my house and look around.

Hackers (in the real sense) mostly have the purpose of cracking security and expose its flaws in order to improve security. If servers are as secure as they are today, it's, for the most part, thanks to their work over the last 3 decades.

I guess you're making that silly distinction between hacker and cracker that is in no way representative of the way normal people speak English. Believe it or not, most reputable security professionals don't send their downtime breaking into other people's systems. I feel no more gratitude towards criminal hackers than I do towards car thieves for forcing manufacturers to invent neat chipped keys and immobilizer systems. Both kinds of criminals have cost me a lot of money.

You guys do know that there were huge manifestations of people on the streets of Spain, and that they were being led by a group of around 3 people right? They were also using guyfawkes masks ...

This just might be political oppression because they hate troublemakers, not exactly PSN related tho

On the public demonstrations, they even strayed asking for id and took photos and some other bullshit

RockXLight said:
Yes, because Anonymous ruined so many people's lives with that PSN outage and everything.
What's that supossed to mean?

I hope you aren't trying to say it's no big deal or that the hackers are doing no wrong.

Are prison rape comments a bannable offense? I'm not back seating modding I'm actually wondering.

If not they should be (now I back seat modded.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hope that they are given a fair trial and an appropriate sentence based on the crimes they are found guilty of.

Zee-Row

Banned
The-Warning said:
Are prison rape comments a bannable offense? I'm not back seating modding I'm actually wondering.

If not they should be (now I back seat modded.)
If they are i'll edit the comment.

Dreohboy

Man said:
policia Policía Nacional retweeted by PSNvicheous
La Policía ha detenido a los 3 líderes de Anonymous en Bcn, Alicante y Almería. Desde domicilio en Gijón atacaron la tienda Playstation

Translated:
Police arrested the 3 leaders of Anonymous in Bcn, Alicante and Almeria. Since residing in Gijón attacked the Playstation Store
Skirmish won by good guys! (yay)

War still being waged.
Fight on Sony.

Kyzer said:
LOL at them thinking there are leaders of anonymous. I dont think they get how the concept works.

I don't care who they think they are, as long as they caught people who are involved and when facing sentencing will rat anyone who they do know out. These hackers are cowards, losers, and lifeless, shifty, losers.

razu

Are other industries being hacked this much? Seems random that evil hackers would target videogames companies when they could be hacking stuff for dirty cash?

udivision

galian beast said:
I don't care who they think they are, as long as they caught people who are involved and when facing sentencing will rat anyone who they do know out. These hackers are cowards, losers, and lifeless, shifty, losers.
A superstitious cowardly bunch....

razu said:
Are other industries being hacked this much? Seems random that evil hackers would target videogames companies when they could be hacking stuff for dirty cash?

From the news a lot of other industries are getting it too.

spwolf

razu said:

if you actually read OP, you would see it was banks and govt as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-spanish-police-hacked-by-anonymous

Anonymous has taken revenge on the Spanish police force by hacking its website.

The Spanish police website was down for an hour yesterday, reported the BBC.

Anonymous claimed responsibility on the AnonOps blog, and called the action a "direct response" to Friday's arrest of three people thought central to the Anonymous cause.

Anonymous even released a press release on the matter.

"Greetings Spanish Government," an Anonymous press release began.

"We know you have heard of us; we are Anonymous. It has come to our attention that you deemed it necessary to arrest three of our fellow anons [sic], which you claim to be the leaders of Anonymous and for their participation in DDoS attacks against various websites.

"First and foremost, DDoSing is an act of peaceful protest on the internet. The activity is no different than sitting peacefully in front of a shop denying entry. Just as is the case with traditional forms of protest.

"Regardless of how many times you are told, you refuse to understand. There are no leaders of Anonymous. Anonymous is not based on personal distinction.

"Arresting somebody for taking part in a DDoS attack is exactly like arresting somebody for attending a peaceful demonstration in their home town. Anonymous believes this right to peacefully protest is one of the fundamental pillars of any democracy.

"You have not detained three participants of Anonymous. We have no members and we are not a group of any kind. You have, however, detained three civilians expressing themselves.

"You are providing us with the fuel, but now you must expect the fire."

"Awaiting your action,

"Anonymous,

"We are Legion. We do not forgive your attacks on freedom. We do not forget your ignorance. Expect Revolution. Expect us.

Jangocube

Banned
Does anyone else read this: "We are Legion. We do not forgive your attacks on freedom. We do not forget your ignorance. Expect Revolution. Expect us." in a voice that sounds like a mentally challenged person?

Might just be my lack of sleep...

"First and foremost, DDoSing is an act of peaceful protest on the internet. The activity is no different than sitting peacefully in front of a shop denying entry. Just as is the case with traditional forms of protest.
Wat.

I'm not seeing how this is peaceful. Non-violent, yes, but a sure fire way to aggravate people.

Top Bottom