• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.
f0rk said:
Does Origin have the same 'download whenever, wherever as much as you want' so Steam? If so I'd be willing to give it a try once.
Not thrilled about the BF3 price though. £40, really?

seems to be 3 installs at once, log in every 2 years or they cancel your account and games and after 5 years (if you buy extended service) you still lose ability to download.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
leadbelly said:
Didn't they publish Half-Life 2? No?
Nope.

543ne3.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Valru said:
No, not really.

I like unified community, logically Steam being the first successful DD service they win on that part. Hot Pursuit PC was a total failure without people to use Autolog with.

I like a unified library that my games are always available on. EA DM basically stole my old copy of BF2 special forces, and I'll never go back.

You cut out the rest.

Me said:
The Steam love is one of pure emotional attachment. Logically, if Origin offers the same service as Steam, gamers shouldn't have an issue.

szaromir said:
BF3, ME3 etc. are still coming to PC.
Yep but i dont buy PC games from retail and have no interest in buying from another service. My loss? Possibly. I use BNet for Blizz titles and because of their fantastic customer service. I am thinking of getting into GoG due to their prices and specialty with older games. EA no thanks.

Acosta

szaromir said:
That's all cool, but Steam's monopoly has the following drawbacks:
a) what if Valve refuses to release the game on Steam (rarely happens to bigger publishers but all the time to indie devs)? They're screwed and it's not
b) what if Newell&Co. decide to sell Valve to some company with different principles? A lot of consumers and publishers might get screwed in the process.
c) Valve is not afraid to sell their games on Steam only, I don't see why other publishers should not be doing the same if they wish so

Ultimately diversification works for everybody, refusing to buy games outside of Steam seems very shortsighted to me.

1) Steam is not a monopoly. Get a clue.

2) Yeah, there are no indie games in Steam, at all. I will go back to Terraria now.

3) What if your head explode while sleeping? It could happen! Start worrying about it!

4) That will be wonderful where every publisher under the sun has their own mandatory shop, each one with a different friendlist and different features. Wonderful!

5) Nobody asked your opinion about my own habits of consume. I will buy my stuff wherever I fucking want, or I won't, that's my prerogative.

coopolon

ZombieSupaStar said:
seems to be 3 installs at once, log in every 2 years or they cancel your account and games and after 5 years (if you buy extended service) you still lose ability to download.

I bought a game in 2006, never paid a penny for download insurance, and can still download it today. Most games are also 5 installs at once, and most are revokable so you can keep getting them back. And I never logged in between 2006 and 2009 and didn't lose the game I bought in 2006.

TOS describes what a company CAN do, not what it will do. And every DD TOS says they can take away any game they want any time they want and there's nothing you can do about it. I do agree Origin's TOS have some pretty weird/scary things in there, but if I stopped using things that had scary TOS, I would never be able to play a game again (or consoles, or even most software.)

Exuro

WanderingWind said:
Logically, if Origin offers the same service as Steam, gamers shouldn't have an issue.
This line is wrong. Even if Origin was an exact carbon copy down to the last line of code it's still another service that needs to be managed. A lot of people like having all of their games organized on one service and Steam does exactly that.

szaromir

Banned
Corto said:
Steam is far from a monopoly. There are several DD competitor services on PC.
Yes there are but if 90%+ are used to buy on Steam only, the publishers might have an active interest to teach the consumers to look for games in other places so that they're not too reliable on one store in case anything bad happen.

Acosta

szaromir said:
Yes there are but if 90%+ are used to buy on Steam only, the publishers might have an active interest to teach the consumers to look for games in other places so that they're not too reliable on one store in case anything bad happen.

HAHAHAHAHA

venne

(._.) said:
I think you give them too much credit. I think starting up a service to attract a diverse and large customer base that is already content with Steam would take a ton of work. It is all about profit and Steam is making most of what profit can be made through DD.

The companies should see it as an opportunity. To illustrate, $350 of revenue from a game takes 7 sales from the publisher's store and 10 from Steam. Assuming zero cost to run your own store for the sake of simplicity, a company would need to sell 43% more games on Steam than their own store to make the same amount of revenue.

That should be enough of an incentive from these billion dollar corporations to try it themselves.

All this is EA v. Valve is beside the point, really. What will be interesting is when Windows 8 comes with a games store/community built into the OS. That's when shit is really going to get real on the DD front.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Qwomo said:
Looks like I won't be playing Crysis 2 ever, then.

Yep. I had planned to buy it after the DX11 patch and a sale/price drop to $20 or less, but if it's not on Steam, then they got fuck off.

markot

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Isn't it more like Amazon taking on iTunes? And Amazon's music service is now fantastic.
Amazon isnt a music industry playa. They dont sign artists up etc...

EA has EA games and only EA games. No other company will sell thier stuff on origin.

Ashes

Banned
Actually, he makes a good point. Monopoly is good for setting industry standards or something, but competition is better for the consumer.

Hawk269

opticalmace said:
This is an excellent post and I suggest everyone read this if you haven't already.

I am new to PC gaming as of last August and I think Steam is cool and all, but not sure why all the hate about using another service? I mean, for me, buying games I missed for the last 2 years, I will download from whoever has the better deal, if that is Amazon, Steam, DD or the EA store really does not matter to me. So not sure why all the crying and feelings of betrayel.

bangai-o

Banned
Exuro said:
This line is wrong. Even if Origin was an exact carbon copy down to the last line of code it's still another service that needs to be managed. A lot of people like having all of their games organized on one service and Steam does exactly that.
why is organizing all the games onto Steam so important? Cant you just put all your shortcuts into a folder called "Games"?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Exuro said:

Unless you decide to use Origin (assuming it becomes a copy of Steam). Then your collection would still be unified on one service.

...I mean, let's not try to make me an EA defender. I practically called them "Lords of All That Is Evil and Not Good" above.

coopolon

Hawk269 said:
I am new to PC gaming as of last August and I think Steam is cool and all, but not sure why all the hate about using another service? I mean, for me, buying games I missed for the last 2 years, I will download from whoever has the better deal, if that is Amazon, Steam, DD or the EA store really does not matter to me. So not sure why all the crying and feelings of betrayel.

This is a great way to get as many amazing games as possible for as little money as possible. Not limiting yourself to Steam means you have access to tons of fantastic sales, often much earlier than they show up on Steam. And by adding non-Steam games to the Client, you still get most of the advantages Steam offers.

jambo

WanderingWind said:
The Steam love is one of pure emotional attachment. Logically, if Origin offers the same service as Steam, gamers shouldn't have an issue. But - and let us not mince words here - Steam saved PC gaming. It wasn't dead, but it sure as hell was a wasteland of shitty ports, exceptionally delayed games and broken customer service. Steam, and it's adoption by so many gamers quickly, revitalized the industry. It's still not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

So, as a PC gamer, anything that looks like it's threatening Steam's access to all of the big name games makes me nervous. Where the hell was EA during the dark days of PC gaming and the early days of Steam? Oh, right. Buying up and shuttering fantastic PC developers and shunting the workers to console development.

It's an emotional response because EA has consistently done everything it could to marginalize PC gaming, outright destroying promising young development houses, ruining great PC-first game companies and generally spending their time being as anti-consumer as possible - if you were a PC consumer.

Valve was the opposite. They brought the supremely fragmented PC market together under one banner, with fairly benign regulation and easy patch distribution. Even with millions of users, consumer complaints against the service are relatively rare, and usually shown to taken care of. They worked with smaller developers to get exposure for their games, bringing excellent gems like Recettar and Terraria to a wider audience. Their customer-friendly sales are the stuff of legend.

So yeah, it's an emotional response.

Could EA's service become somewhat like Steam? Possibly. But the fact that they won't allow Steam to carry their games now means they're less interested in the customer and in competing via superior customer satisfaction. They clearly have no faith in the service, which means they're out of the gate not trying as hard to support the platform as they could. It's worrisome, to me.

Exactly! Bravo sir.

Corto

szaromir said:

I'm all for that, but it would be preferable to the consumer to have the option to buy wherever he wants and try to lure him with extra features/freebies/aggressive pricing and not by taking your products from a competitor service.

markot said:
Amazon isnt a music industry playa. They dont sign artists up etc...

EA has EA games and only EA games. No other company will sell thier stuff on origin.

That's a logical leap. If the service is successful, then people will sell their games on it. Probably not Activision or Ubisoft, granted, but a lot of other developers will.

You know for as much a PC gamers say they love how open and free PC is compared to consoles way too many praise steams monopolization of DD content. I agree steam is fantastic and by far the best store PC has to offer but I always felt it was a slippery slope that they get so much power over the marketplace.

PatzCU

1-D_FTW said:
#1.) Fuck EA. You wanna fuck them, but not yourself? Hurt them where it counts. The wallet. Retail gives them the smallest cut. They'll see less of your money than any other method.

#2.) Amazon and release day delivery. Thanks to Kmart's aggressive ways, they're constantly running big sales that Amazon price matches. This means you're 99% guaranteed to be seeing a 20 gift card on pre-orders. Think of it as a reward for being spiteful. Save money and get it on release day.

#3.) The pre-order bonus maps are included in all the release window boxes. You'll get those pre-order maps even if you don't pre-order.

#4.) You can tie that retail purchase to your Origins account and go DVD free. You can even just install it directly from DD and cost EA a couple more pennies in bandwidth expenses.

Bravo! My new gameplan (if it's not on Steam). I might even add in:

#5.) Write an email to EA explaining why you bought the game retail.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
f0rk said:
Does Origin have the same 'download whenever, wherever as much as you want' so Steam? If so I'd be willing to give it a try once.

No it doesn't, you buy "download insurance" as an extra fee.

sikkinixx

*shrug* no Crysis 2 for me. My days of buying off Steam (save games on GoG which can't be bought elsewhere) are done. Convenience wins for me. EA downloads are annoying.

Acosta

Ashes1396 said:
Actually, he makes a good point. Monopoly is good for setting industry standards or something, but competition is better for the consumer.

Again, there is no competition here.

Competition is: I have my product, I sell it every DD service under the sun but I make sure people want to buy it from my own service because I have the best deal. That's competition, and is good.

This is not competition at all.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
EA screwed me out of my Command & Conquer 3! They just lost my activation and refused to give me another! I will think long and hard before I buy anything from them via DD again!

StuBurns

Banned
Acosta said:

Competition is: I have my product, I sell it every DD service under the sun but I make sure people want to buy it from my own service because I have the best deal. That's competition, and is good.

The competition in question is the distribution platforms, not the games.

ARXIN said:
You know for as much a PC gamers say they love how open and free PC is compared to consoles way too many praise steams monopolization of DD content. I agree steam is fantastic and by far the best store PC has to offer but I always felt it was a slippery slope that they get so much power over the marketplace.

when you ride with ea, you ride with Hitler!

szaromir

Banned
Corto said:
I'm all for that, but it would be preferable to the consumer to have the option to buy wherever he wants and try to lure him with extra features/freebies/aggressive pricing and not by taking your products from a competitor service.
Pulling C2 from Steam (it it's indeed the case) is a bit extreme, but ultimately not much different from Valve nut publishing their on other DD services.

Ashes

Banned
Acosta said:

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo anti-competitive confirmed!

Symphonic

f0rk said:

For 5 years, yes. Unless you pay a fee, it's gone after that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
beast786 said:
You'll notice the key word in the article though.

IGN said:
Electronic Arts will now distribute Valve's Half-Life 2, among other titles, according to an announcement by both companies today. The agreement covers Half-Life 2: Game of the Year Edition and Counter-Strike: Source for the PC this fall, as well as the Xbox edition of Half-Life 2 in October.

venne

ARXIN said:

Pretty much my thoughts.

I'm an economical gamer, if Steam has the cheapest version of what I want I buy from them. If Direct2Drive does, I buy from them. If *gasp* Games for Windows Marketplace is the cheapest, I buy from them.

I have most of my PC games from Steam, but I am by no means willing to accept it as my only source of games.

Symphonic

szaromir said:
Pulling C2 from Steam (it it's indeed the case) is a bit extreme, but ultimately not much different from Valve nut publishing their on other DD services.

It's much, much different. EA owns a lot of individual developers. Once you start making decisions for those developers and picking and choosing when to make them exclusive to your form of distribution, it looks a hell of a lot worse than a private company (Valve) keeping their own games on their platform.

Acosta

Ashes1396 said:
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo anti-competitive confirmed!

In this example, Sony wouldn't allow Gamestop to sell their stuff because they want people to go to the Sony Store. So yes, that would be pretty anti-competitive. But it doesn't happen.

Salazar

venne said:
I have most of my PC games from Steam, but I am by no means willing to accept it as my only source of games.

And only in an imaginary scenario are you in any danger of being forced or even lightly coerced to do so.

beast786

Acosta said:
In this example, Sony wouldn't allow Gamestop to sell their stuff because they want people to go to the Sony Store. So yes, that would be pretty anti-competitive. But it doesn't happen.

No bad example.

In reality.

Apple wont sell sony games in there stores. Hence, sony now does not sell apple in sony stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom