• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

shidoshi
GameFan alumnus
ganguro preacher
(06-16-2011, 09:26 PM)
I looked around and couldn't see this mentioned, so kill me if it was.

Today on Twitter, David Silverman (marketing director at BioWare) said these things:

"@SilentKittyK the CE of #ME3 has both #FemShep and male Shepard on the box."

"@ChrisCrowdly there will be a #FemShep trailer. We actually had a meeting on her yesterday. We are working on the look now."

After that, David started asking people which look their "official" female Shepard should have.

I seem to recall somebody on here telling me it was ridiculous to think that BioWare would, should, or could ever put together a FemShep version of a promo trailer. Hmm.

Anyhow, awesome! I'll be honest - if it's like a flip-cover or something where I can decide which specific Shepard is on the CE cover, that would actually be something that would get me to go for a CE (when I usually don't). Yes, I'm silly like that.

I wish these efforts to acknowledge the FemShep side of the game weren't coming so late into its life, but in the same way as the allowing more romantic choices for the player, better late than never.
meltingparappa
(06-16-2011, 09:29 PM)
God, I choose so poorly four years ago. Can't renege on my male Shepherd save now, though.

Glad to see the better option getting her due.
badcrumble
I'll be curious to see what the 'official' FemShep looks like.
User33
I prefer male Shep.

Male Shep is bland but unintentionally hilarious.

Female Shep is just bland.
LiK
Yea, FemShep finally gets some respect
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
OH MY GOD, this is HUGE!

Finally my FemShep gets what she deserves!
Gravijah
(06-16-2011, 09:30 PM)
The way it's meant to be played.
giant_frying_pan
Collector's edition it is then!

I'll just send them a flash drive with my Shepard on for them to use.
sevenchaos
They should let users submit their FemSheps and pick one. Boom!
LiK
(06-16-2011, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by User33

I prefer male Shep.

Male Shep is bland but unintentionally hilarious.

Female Shep is just bland.

Jennifer Hale is not bland
D3adend
It's a benifit from Dragon Age 2. It had an official Fem-Hawke look and was popular.
So now there is room for a high quality Femshep head. As I'd use Femshep, but every head that can be made, make or female looks like shit next to default face. In ME1 it wasn't that bad because the other faces were of similar quality. In ME2 it's painful to look at.

So.. this gets a HELLYEA.
Guerrillas in the Mist
I still think they should do the CE's boxart in the style of a movie poster, and get Drew Struzan to do it.
Speedymanic
Banned
Pretty sure this is the default FemShep

LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.
Female Shepard is the only way to play Mass Effect. Tried going back and playing as a male and just could not. Had both as black and white Shepard and they both fit the voice.
Edag Plata
(06-16-2011, 09:32 PM)
What is this? Diversity Awareness Day: The Game?

Make sure you have your gay romances!! It's not fair if you don't!

Make sure you get the female character on the cover!! It's not fair if you don't!!

Crucify me if you must, I just think it's like they're trying to show everyone how politically correct they are way too much.
Yoshichan

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

waaaaaaaat! How the hell did you manage to make her so beautiful? And I thought I had the best FemShep out there :(
webrunner
I always thought they shouldn't focus on either Shepard, given that the entire game is about being your own Shepard. Failing that they should use both to emphasize the choice.

They say that most people play the default male shepard, but how much of that is because it's the default male shepard is the default shepard and the one on the box?

If you had to pick, or femshep was the default, would they have more people playing it?

Originally Posted by badcrumble

I'll be curious to see what the 'official' FemShep looks like.

I'm surprised it's not just going to be the default red hair version.
sixteen-bit
(06-16-2011, 09:33 PM)
I just wish default Female Shepard was an unique character model (like default Male Shep) and not something generated from the character creation tool.
LiK

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

waaaaaaaat! How the hell did you manage to make her so beautiful? And I thought I had the best FemShep out there :(

Thats what my FemShep looks like too
Raide
Would it not be better to just do a double-sided cover, one with Male Shep and the other with female Shep?
Ignis Fatuus
Banned

Originally Posted by Edag Plata

Make sure you get the female character on the cover!! It's not fair if you don't!!

Crucify me if you must, I just think it's like they're trying to show everyone how politically correct they are way too much.

Bioware has always been about offering the greatest number of options they can. I don't see what part of this is inconsistent with that approach.
shidoshi
GameFan alumnus
ganguro preacher
(06-16-2011, 09:34 PM)
You know, in this growing era of character creation, I could totally see a specialty market cropping up for allowing you to get specialty covers printed with your personalized character on them.

The ability to send away for redo Mass Effect 1 + 2 covers with my Shepard on them instead of default guy? I would totally go for that.
WrathOfOtaibah
Banned
Glad to see they threw a bone to the inferior Shepard.
badcrumble

Don't worry, there are hundreds of videogames that only have straight white male protagonists left over for you.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
I hope they stole the new UE3 hair tech from the new Alice game. I want my FemShep to have real hair!

[IMG]http://i55.************/o91g1h.gif[/IMG]
Last edited by brotkasten; 06-16-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Yoshichan

Originally Posted by LiK

Thats what my FemShep looks like too

Can you somehow change face during the game or something? I really want to change it now ._.
dwebo
Was default femshep modeled after someone like default maleshep, or was she just a product of the character generator? I remember the differences between her and other presets not being as severe as with the male faces.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA

Originally Posted by shidoshi

You know, in this growing era of character creation, I could totally see a specialty market cropping up for allowing you to get specialty covers printed with your personalized character on them.

The ability to send away for redo Mass Effect 1 + 2 covers with my Shepard on them instead of default guy? I would totally go for that.

Maybe when the customized characters on Mass Effect stop looking completely out of place with their permanently soaked haircuts. Bioware's too lazy to fix how their custom characters look and just try to force default on you

Eyeliner on the battlefield. No wonder ManShep is usually on the cover
kittens
(06-16-2011, 09:35 PM)

Political correctness is a myth designed by bigots to excuse their bigotry. GTFO.

Oh yeah, and FemShep FTW.
sevenchaos

Originally Posted by Raide

Would it not be better to just do a double-sided cover, one with Male Shep and the other with female Shep?

No. Two of them on the cover kissing.
sixteen-bit

Agreed. Don't people already spend hundreds of dollars for model casts of their WoW characters?
prodystopian
I haven't played FemShep yet, but I'm planning to for my second playthroughs of ME1 and 2 before 3 releases. This is good news.
Auron_Kale
Santalope

Originally Posted by Raide

I think that's what they're intending to do, at least from what it sounds like from their press release over the CE version.

Anyways, despite playing as broShep, it's great to finally see femShep as I know many people prefer to play as her. Can't wait to see her trailer though - will be awesome.
LiK

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Can you somehow change face during the game or something? I really want to change it now ._.

Dont think so but ME3 will allow you to tweak their look again.
User33
(06-16-2011, 09:36 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Jennifer Hale is not bland

She is in the Mass Effect games at least.
Raide

Originally Posted by sevenchaos

No. Two of them on the cover kissing.

Bleh, Shepard and Wrex or I cancel my Pre-order.
Yoshichan

Originally Posted by LiK

Dont think so but ME3 will allow you to tweak their look again.

Fuck yes! Thanks man!
LCfiner
pretty cool, but kinda late.

I much prefer playing the game as femshep. Hale makes the dialog a lot more interesting than whoever is voicing Maleshep.
Edag Plata
(06-16-2011, 09:37 PM)

Originally Posted by badcrumble

Don't worry, there are hundreds of videogames that only have straight white male protagonists left over for you.

Oh good, because you know me, I can only play as straight white guys. I'm probably from the south too, right???

Originally Posted by omg.kittens

Political correctness is a myth designed by bigots to excuse their bigotry. GTFO.

Oh yeah, and FemShep FTW.

Oh, okay.
Rad-

If you had to pick, or femshep was the default, would they have more people playing it?

More maybe but not much more. Most people play maleShep because most gamers are male. It's easier to "get into the role".
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, when you try to make your own face it often looks much more awkward than it does in character creation (so many restarts), but there are codes you can find online that can make FemShep look human. My Shep is so fine.
Jaded Alyx

Yeh, most people seem to have very similar looking FemSheps.

The normal people anyway.
Phonomezer
Banned
I wonder who they'll model her after
QueenOfThorns
(06-16-2011, 09:38 PM)

I'll get the nails.

Seriously, it's pretty rare for games to have as many options for what you want your character to be like. Stuff like this should be more common, not mocked as OH YOU'RE JUST BEING PEE CEEE.

Great news. I always thought femshep had the much better actor and was more fun to play as, as it's still pretty rare to get to play as your own gender in these type of games.
snap0212

They could let you upload your save file, extract your character data, create an image and let you download a cover with your Shepard on it. Shouldn't be that big of a deal for them.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Finally some positive news about the game.

also this (from 2011 high-res screens thread, courtesy of DigitalSoul)

RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
Awesome. It's nice to see them acknowledging the character creation options.
XANDER CAGE
WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE
(06-16-2011, 09:39 PM)
Awesome news. I always picked lady Shep for my Renegade playthroughs. Hale's "I don't give a shit" drawl works so much better for Renegade lines.
DigitalSoul
Damn you subversus!...you beat me to my own post :P
FutureZombie
5 years worth of listening to Dr. Drew on LoveLine
Less dumb updates, more Jack info please.