• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

The LEGO Thread : Page 170
The Lamonster
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:04 AM)
The Lamonster's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrForester

Only LotR set I'll probably get is Gandalf's arrives and Weathertop just for the minifigs.

My plan as well!
darkwing
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:06 AM)
darkwing's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Fuck GAF. I can't decide between SSD and R2D2. 350 dollars is a lot of cash. I guess it can go n the bar in my kitchen. I know it will easily double n value once it's discontinued but agh!

buy both? you know you want it
The_Inquisitor
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:07 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkwing

buy both? you know you want it

I know. But I just graduated school a few months ago and I'm trying to save some money. Even focusing just on star wars there are so many things to buy. I even try to just focus on ships! But I love R2D2.
PhoncipleBone
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:12 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Fuck GAF. I can't decide between SSD and R2D2. 350 dollars is a lot of cash. I guess it can go n the bar in my kitchen. I know it will easily double n value once it's discontinued but agh!

SSD. It is on sale for the cheapest I have ever seen. R2 is a lot less, and brand new. I know the new factor is very cool, but the SSD is a monster of a set, and the price is nuts. If I had the money or wanted to run my credit card up more, I would be all over the SSD this weekend.
darkwing
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:12 AM)
darkwing's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

I know. But I just graduated school a few months ago and I'm trying to save some money. Even focusing just on star wars there are so many things to buy. I even try to just focus on ships! But I love R2D2.

well R2D2 just came out so SSD going to OOP first?
Naka
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:22 AM)
Naka's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

I know. But I just graduated school a few months ago and I'm trying to save some money. Even focusing just on star wars there are so many things to buy. I even try to just focus on ships! But I love R2D2.

I've decided I'm holding off on the SSD until the next round of double points. Looking back at other UCS sets they do tend to go on sale again before the go OOP. I think there will be another chance at this at a good price.
Zulithe
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:40 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkwing

no love for LOTR?

Lots of LOTR love here. Just waiting on the sets to appear on amazon, my preferred retailer :D

Definitely getting gandalf and the set with gollum. Probably at least 2 other sets... trying to get all the fellowship minifigs at the least.

After two decades of immersing myself in all things SW, I've finally had my fill. Haven't touched a single SW sale today. George can't have any more of my money.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:40 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Naka

I've decided I'm holding off on the SSD until the next round of double points. Looking back at other UCS sets they do tend to go on sale again before the go OOP. I think there will be another chance at this at a good price.

Seems risky. Rumor is this, the shuttle, and Death Star are about to go OOP according to my local lego store.
darkwing
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:45 AM)
darkwing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zulithe

Lots of LOTR love here. Just waiting on the sets to appear on amazon, my preferred retailer :D

Definitely getting gandalf and the set with gollum. Probably at least 2 other sets... trying to get all the fellowship minifigs at the least.

After two decades of immersing myself in all things SW, I've finally had my fill. Haven't touched a single SW sale today. George can't have any more of my money.

only need Arwen and Eowyn but Theoden is only in the Helms Deep set
MrDaravon
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:46 AM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Seems risky. Rumor is this, the shuttle, and Death Star are about to go OOP according to my local lego store.

The Shuttle and Death Star I'm sure are due, but didn't the SSD just come out late last year?
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(05-05-2012, 05:52 AM)
ghostmind's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Seems risky. Rumor is this, the shuttle, and Death Star are about to go OOP according to my local lego store.



Now that would be interesting...
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(05-05-2012, 05:58 AM)
DrForester's Avatar
Death Star is 4 years old, makes sense it's going OOP. Shuttle is only 2 years old, seems early to go out.
PhoncipleBone
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:59 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrForester

Death Star is 4 years old, makes sense it's going OOP. Shuttle is only 2 years old, seems early to go out.

And SSD is only a year old or so. That has time to go. Thank god.
NathanMcMahon
Banned
(05-05-2012, 06:01 AM)
NathanMcMahon's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrForester

Death Star is 4 years old, makes sense it's going OOP. Shuttle is only 2 years old, seems early to go out.

Death Star is a playset. Shuttle is UCS which is more desirable to collectors. Seems like it is logical that it would sell out faster.
PhoncipleBone
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:48 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by moop2000

Death Star is a playset. Shuttle is UCS which is more desirable to collectors. Seems like it is logical that it would sell out faster.

And the fact that the Imperial Shuttle was on sale.
parrotbeak
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:53 AM)
parrotbeak's Avatar
The Lego store here had the shuttle for $20 more before tax than what it is on lego.com. The regular marked down price was $298.

The line was crazy too so no incentive to buy it. Kinda disappointed I came home with no lego, but I have more than enough to play with already.
NathanMcMahon
Banned
(05-05-2012, 07:02 AM)
NathanMcMahon's Avatar
Thinking of maybe just hitting up the Lego store here tomorrow to get the fig and flip it so I get a discount on what I buy...
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(05-05-2012, 09:32 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by bkfount

That's the main reason I'm probably going to take apart the UCS Falcon, and maybe sell it. It's a great piece, but takes up a ton of room, so I can't just put it on a shelf.

I've built my giant Lego set, now I'm just going to focus on "smaller" stuff that can be displayed. Like the POTC ships or modular buildings.

The PotC ships and modular buildings are small?? Well I guess in comparison to the UCS falcon they are :)

If you do sell, you could p always pop it up on here to give a gaffer first option on it..



With R2 and the UCS B-Wing coming soon, is that likely to put pressure on current UCS sets? That will be five SW UCS on the market (shuttle, death star, SSD, R2D2, b-wing). Assuming they have at least one more planned for next year, I can see a couple going OOP end of this year.

Although the SSD has been out for only a short time, the price might mean it is a low volume product and so they might cut its run short? So that and the shuttle might go. Death star is old but it's a playset and therefore might have more crossover into mainstream Lego buyers
Last edited by mrklaw; 05-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Kayhan
Member
(05-05-2012, 10:30 AM)
Kayhan's Avatar
The Imperial Shuttle is the sexiest thing Lego has ever put out.
drugstore_cowboy
Member
(05-05-2012, 11:19 AM)
drugstore_cowboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tempy

Man, I wish they'd do another Jawa Sand Crawler. I want me some Jawa and droid minifigures.

I saved the Jawas from our LEGO box when the Sandcrawler was broken down, had no idea they'd be worth something (going by ebay prices)

The droids are long gone now.
Jackpot
Member
(05-05-2012, 11:48 AM)
Jackpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marty Chinn

Just bought my little girl her first Lego sets. She just turned one. Here's what I got:



Might want to check recommended age for any choking hazards.
PalaceBrother
Member
(05-05-2012, 12:05 PM)
PalaceBrother's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jackpot

Might want to check recommended age for any choking hazards.

Piglet looks like the smallest piece and he isn't very small. I'd let my youngest have at them, with supervision.

I spent 20 minutes feeling bags yesterday and still no Galaxy Patrol or Bunny Suit. Dammit
TerryLee81
Member
(05-05-2012, 12:37 PM)
TerryLee81's Avatar
For how long do those discounts usually last? Or is it only yesterday / today together with the TC-14 minifig?
m31
Junior Member
(05-05-2012, 12:47 PM)
m31's Avatar
Picked up mt first season 7 minifigs today, checked the dot codes for no duplicates. Got Daredevil, Grandma Visiter and Evil Knight which was my favourite of the season. So got lucky :) Also picked Roman Warrior from season 6 which was the only one I missed.
chimster
Member
(05-05-2012, 01:18 PM)
chimster's Avatar

Originally Posted by TerryLee81

For how long do those discounts usually last? Or is it only yesterday / today together with the TC-14 minifig?

only two days, May 4th and 5th
biggyfries
Member
(05-05-2012, 02:09 PM)
biggyfries's Avatar
Anyone get the Lego store set when they have a grand opening? Just wondering if it would be worth dealing with the crowds for it.
MCF
Develop Magazine
(05-05-2012, 03:01 PM)
Thought I would update/bore you all with details of my Cafe Corner rebuild, which is actually coming together swiftly and cheaper than I thought.

I have pretty much all the bricks, save for some bits I plan to mod: such as the terrible two-brick-thick glass-less windows.

Here's a cost breakdown:

5 - A fraction of the bricks from a 40 haul from a UK charity shop, plus a huge 10 lot I bought of tan bricks from bay.
4 - Some bricks from Prince of Persia - Sands of Time: Race for the Sands Kit I bought reduced from TRU UK
3 - Bricks from the LEGO City Train Station that I bought for 18 in the sales at Christmas
50 - Bricklink orders (4 separate orders - probably paid a bit of a premium sticking to UK only buyers)
20 - LEGO.com direct order (specifically the Red Roof Tiles and other Dark Red pieces plus the arches for the canopies - it was cheaper from here than through Bricklink)
10 - Bricks from a few PAB wall trips (but only bits and pieces, as the rest of the cups were for other projects)
7 - Baseplate

Total: 99 (including postage for those that I shipped in)

Now, there are a bunch of other substitutions aside from those mentioned above (I'm not foolish enough to pay for blue columns or arches), and the back walls you rarely see will come from a big supply of substitute bricks I have also built up.

But hopefully, when we start building this over the next week or two (with help from my wife, who is keen to actually furnish the insides and make it a real restaurant and hotel!), we a) will get a relatively accurate rebuild that b) has been relatively cheap to put together.
mickcenary
Member
(05-05-2012, 04:08 PM)
mickcenary's Avatar
Thinking of picking up the X-Wing, Legaf. It'd go splendidly next to my newly acquired midi falcon. The general consensus seems to be that it's pretty fantastic, besides the new wing mechanism, which appears to divide opinions somewhat. What say you guys?
The Lamonster
Member
(05-05-2012, 04:47 PM)
The Lamonster's Avatar

Originally Posted by mickcenary

Thinking of picking up the X-Wing, Legaf. It'd go splendidly next to my newly acquired midi falcon. The general consensus seems to be that it's pretty fantastic, besides the new wing mechanism, which appears to divide opinions somewhat. What say you guys?

I say it's perfect.
chidrock
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:30 PM)
Just started on R2-D2; got to page 6 of the first book an I'm missing a white 1x10 piece. What to do now...really don't want to wait for them to ship just that piece, and my weekend plan was to work on this.
parrotbeak
Member
(05-05-2012, 05:34 PM)
parrotbeak's Avatar

Originally Posted by mickcenary

Thinking of picking up the X-Wing, Legaf. It'd go splendidly next to my newly acquired midi falcon. The general consensus seems to be that it's pretty fantastic, besides the new wing mechanism, which appears to divide opinions somewhat. What say you guys?

It's perfect with the caveat that it relies on rubber bands for the wing mechanism. As long as I can find replacements once they get brittle, I'll be happy.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(05-05-2012, 06:03 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by chidrock

Just started on R2-D2; got to page 6 of the first book an I'm missing a white 1x10 piece. What to do now...really don't want to wait for them to ship just that piece, and my weekend plan was to work on this.

do you have pieces to substitute while you wait for a replacement part? If its not structural can you replace it with eg a couple of 1x4s and a 1x2? If it is structural, will it be hidden from view, so you can replace with a different colour?

Otherwise you're borked
Naka
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:06 PM)
Naka's Avatar

Originally Posted by chidrock

Just started on R2-D2; got to page 6 of the first book an I'm missing a white 1x10 piece. What to do now...really don't want to wait for them to ship just that piece, and my weekend plan was to work on this.

Check the piece number and look to see if it's in any other set that you could easily pick up?
parrotbeak
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:23 PM)
parrotbeak's Avatar
How long do people think the Echo Base 7879 will be around?
Marty Chinn
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:25 PM)
Marty Chinn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jackpot

Might want to check recommended age for any choking hazards.

Yep, I checked for the age range and it seemed like all Duplo sets are fine for under the age of 3. One thing I've learned from being a parent is that anything under the age of 3 is not a choking hazard and ages listed there is more of interest level rather than danger. Never knew that when shopping for gifts in the past. What confuses me though is why is one set starts at 1 1/2 while the other is 2? Thanks for looking out though. She loved playing with them this morning, especially the windows.
neonglow
Why am I here?
Where are my wings?
(05-05-2012, 06:26 PM)
neonglow's Avatar

Originally Posted by parrotbeak

How long do people think the Echo Base 7879 will be around?

It just came out in August 2011 so probably at least till year end? It's exclusive to TRU so they'll probably have it for awhile.
Marty Chinn
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:35 PM)
Marty Chinn's Avatar
Holy crap at the eBay prices for the TC-14 mini fig. I think I'm going to get another one at those prices.
Reluctant-Hero
Member
(05-05-2012, 06:48 PM)
Reluctant-Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marty Chinn

Yep, I checked for the age range and it seemed like all Duplo sets are fine for under the age of 3. One thing I've learned from being a parent is that anything under the age of 3 is not a choking hazard and ages listed there is more of interest level rather than danger. Never knew that when shopping for gifts in the past. What confuses me though is why is one set starts at 1 1/2 while the other is 2? Thanks for looking out though. She loved playing with them this morning, especially the windows.

My daughter just hit eight weeks old, not really into toys yet. But I'll definitely be getting her first Duplo set this Christmas.

Originally Posted by Marty Chinn

Holy crap at the eBay prices for the TC-14 mini fig. I think I'm going to get another one at those prices.

Yeah, looks like they're averaging around $30.00 right now. I'll probably throw mine up when my Lego.com order arrives next week.
Last edited by Reluctant-Hero; 05-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.
NathanMcMahon
Banned
(05-05-2012, 06:51 PM)
NathanMcMahon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marty Chinn

Holy crap at the eBay prices for the TC-14 mini fig. I think I'm going to get another one at those prices.

I never understand the phenomenon of seeing one that is being bid up about 40% higher than one directly below it that has a buy it now for that 40% less... fucking idiots just boggle the mind.
suplex
Member
(05-05-2012, 07:43 PM)
suplex's Avatar
After much internal debate on getting a Tie Fighter or X-Wing, picked up an X-Wing for myself, along with a Vader watch and V-Wing as gifts.

Tempted to sell the TC-14 if I can get that much for it, but I'll probably wind up holding on to it.
EMBee99
all that he wants is another baby
(05-05-2012, 08:05 PM)
EMBee99's Avatar
Walked out of the Lego Store here in Chicago with a UCS R2-D2 and Millenoum Falcon for me, a Disney Duplo set for my 2 year old, and a TC-14 figure that may go on eBay when my UCS Imp. Shuttle arrives.

The Duplo sets are super cute and kiddo went bananas at it. R2-D2 build looks like a lot of fun and the set looks great in person.

Now I wait for UCS B-Wing. Maybe the Sopwith if my addiction doesn't let up.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(05-05-2012, 08:14 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar
Just bought the SSD. Oh my god what have I done?
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(05-05-2012, 08:44 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
In the UK, The Sun newspaper is doing another round of mini Lego set giveaways. Link here - http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=3164

Some are a bit poor,but I definitely want the batboat (and minifig), the bat mobile and the two Ninjago sets as my kids like the minifigs. Mini star destroyer is annoying as I just bought one from bricklink
Cindres
Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
(05-05-2012, 08:48 PM)
Cindres's Avatar
Oh crap is that the Batman Polybag? Fuck either way it's close enough. Oh god I'm actually going to buy the sun :(
Dr Zhivago
Member
(05-05-2012, 08:57 PM)
Dr Zhivago's Avatar
Hmm, I like free Lego but I hate The Sun...
NathanMcMahon
Banned
(05-05-2012, 08:57 PM)
NathanMcMahon's Avatar
I took the plunge and went to my Lego store. I got the Sith Infiltrator and the Endor Battle Pack (that's my 6th purchase fo that one cuz those minifigs are killer for army building). I'm gonna flip the TC-14 and walk away with spending $45 total hopefully. I also impulse got a 7 Series 7 minifigs. I decided to forego feeling them up and besides I would have no idea what to feel for anyways. They had one more UCS SSD which I almost got but decided to pass on. The manager did say that after this year the Death Star is done so if anybody is sitting on the fence, I'd recommend getting one as I think that thing will shoot up in value once it's OOP.
parrotbeak
Member
(05-05-2012, 08:59 PM)
parrotbeak's Avatar
Look at how they mock my addiction.

chimster
Member
(05-05-2012, 09:07 PM)
chimster's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Just bought the SSD. Oh my god what have I done?

/hifive
The_Inquisitor
Member
(05-05-2012, 09:36 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar
Pardon the mess in my apartment. Behind me is a french Wall-E poster and 25th anniversary edition BTTF poster.

bkfount
Member
(05-05-2012, 09:39 PM)
bkfount's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

The PotC ships and modular buildings are small?? Well I guess in comparison to the UCS falcon they are :)

If you do sell, you could p always pop it up on here to give a gaffer first option on it..

yeah, lol.

The UCS falcon is a bit large for the space I have, but it's like the 2nd highest piece count Lego has ever done in a set. Anything will be smaller in comparison to 15-20 pounds of Lego. I had fun getting all the pieces from bricklink and building it though.

I'll definitely offer it to a gaffer first for a good price. I don't even want to think of the fees on ebay for this.

Thread Tools