• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Abomination - Stealth, No Map, Killing only target 'ambition' and more

cackhyena said:
You know, immersion, in this case, having to do with how believable the scenario is that he can do this stuff in plain sight.

You should really play one of the games though, because one big and basic failure in your thinking is that "you do stuff in plain sight". Well not really sir, you do anything that is a little too suspicious and you're fucked unless you react very fast. Of course you look kinda off to most NPCs and thus when you fuck up, a lot of times they shoot first and ask later, depending on where you are and what is around you.

I'm not one of those that think that the game CAN'T have a cover system or use shadows or reloading animations or things like that, but I DO want the game to play more or less the same way it's always played. Hell I was hyped for the game until I saw how they've treated Bateson and the poor Diana lady (can't remember her name now) and all the new stuff.

Also, one cannot stress enough how bad the demo is. It made me think they had "Conviction'd" the game even before Conviction came out.

cackhyena said:
30 bucks on Live? C'mon. Does the Steam version support the 360 pad?

No (at least I haven't been able to make it work). I've been playing it using the DS3 and the DS3 Tool program. The camera is not smoothed when using the analog sticks but I can live with it.

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:
30 bucks on Live? C'mon. Does the Steam version support the 360 pad?

Don't support the horrible prices on Live.. I've never played it on 360 sadly, I would gladly purchase it but I can't find it anywhere near me for cheap.

Don't know if the steam version supports a 360 pad..

You know, I had to travel to Germany (from Spain) to find a 360 copy of the game on a random shop. Bought it for 15 euros or something like that. Came home honestly thinking that it'd have english... and it didn't. So that copy is sitting on the shelf right now, looking at me and laughing -_-

Derrick01

Banned
I heard before that the pad works on the steam version but the button prompts don't show up as 360, only PC. I didn't try it though and just went with the keyboard and mouse, it was surprisingly easy to get adjusted to considering I play everything I can with a pad.

MMaRsu

Banned
Derrick01 said:
I heard before that the pad works on the steam version but the button prompts don't show up as 360, only PC. I didn't try it though and just went with the keyboard and mouse, it was surprisingly easy to get adjusted to considering I play everything I can with a pad.

Hitman BM really isn't hard to play at all with kb/m :)

cackhyena

MMaRsu, I know this isn't the thread for it, but I gotta know. I remember seeing a sequel teaser to Trials a while back ( that wasn't a dream, right? ). Is there some sort of release date on that?

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:
MMaRsu, I know this isn't the thread for it, but I gotta know. I remember seeing a sequel teaser to Trials a while back ( that wasn't a dream, right? ). Is there some sort of release date on that?

Yes there is a Trials sequel coming!! No releasedate yet, just 2011 so far :).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fucking internet, man…

Just wait for hands-on footage (beyond like 15 seconds cut together). Then freak out if you have to.

I mean, I know it's fun to really get into the whole crazy internet commenter thing, but come on.. There's really not much to go on here. All you know by now is that 47 kills people, and that you have something akin to a 'HALP' button.

And what is this about the maps? I didn't even use the sat map in Bloodlines. And I also never saved during a level. Guess why, haha.

As long as you can restart missions, you can still explore like in Blood Money, surely. There's costumes, different weapons, stealth kills, line-of-sight AI with patrol paths, big and varied levels, dragging corpses, layered 'fortresses' to infiltrate and escape from and all that shit. That's really what the games are about. So all that won't just go away.

The essence of a Hitman level is you walking cool as shit through a level full of fully armed insanos, you being dressed as something ridiculous on the way, crawling here and sneaking there, following a precise action plan to the letter, a plan that was researched through trial and error, you're a ghost in plain sight; so you end up at the target and plop him in the head, then get out with a racing heart. (Then, you fart in the kitchen and all hell breaks loose.) So you're in constant motion, like a well-oiled machine, and there are some close calls along the way to make shit awesome. As long as that still happens, I'm on board.

And since the comments so far haven't ruled all that out, I'm not worried.

What makes you guys think you've got this series figured out, anyway? It's been in flux ever since the first one, and so far, it's gotten better and better. And there were severe changes in each title that had some fans on the barricades, I still remember that.

I recently played 2, and while it's still got a place in my heart, it's pretty much a piece of shit compared to Bloodlines. Bloodlines itself is good, but clunky as fuck, and that's what's holding it back. So guess what, they want to improve on that clunkiness and also fix the fundamental problems the series always had (the intro level was always awful, the cutscenes sucked, the stories didn't flow, some sections had weird setups like too many enemies on one spot, the soundmix was broken, the highscore thing was meaningless, some weapon improvements were unnecessary, map wasn't vital, save restrictions didn't achieve much…).

If you want Blood Money 2, fuckin vote with your wallets or make it yourselves. Actually, just make it yourselves, I'd buy that as well.

subversus said:
I tried but no save during mission after exiting the game made me lol.

Absolution can't come soon enough, hehe.

The game saves in between missions. If you need more than that you're playing it wrong.

MMaRsu

Banned
wolfmat said:
Fucking internet, man…

Just wait for hands-on footage (beyond like 15 seconds cut together). Then freak out if you have to.

If you want Blood Money 2, fuckin vote with your wallets or make it yourselves. Actually, just make it yourselves, I'd buy that as well.

Right I agree with all of this, but IO has talked about NONE of this.

We all want BM2.

Derrick01

Banned
The people telling us we can't be angry until it comes out or a video comes out or whatever get on my nerves. How many times does a crysis 2, dragon age 2 or splinter cell conviction need to happen before we're allowed to get mad at what a dev chooses to unveil?

If we're wrong then we're wrong. I don't think anyone here would complain about the game not sucking. We've just seen it too many times before to know better.

MMaRsu

Banned
Derrick01 said:
The people telling us we can't be angry until it comes out or a video comes out or whatever get on my nerves. How many times does a crysis 2, dragon age 2 or splinter cell conviction need to happen before we're allowed to get mad at what a dev chooses to unveil?

If we're wrong then we're wrong. I don't think anyone here would complain about the game not sucking. We've just seen it too many times before to know better.

Exactly, what's with all the benefit of the doubt bullshit. K&L2 was bad, all of the previous people who worked on BM are gone. Terrible stuff they have talked about so far in regards to previous games as well as this one.

G-Fex

Seeing as how I fucking love Blood Money and it's concept of how the gameplay works, I'm extremely pissed.

I've lost interest.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
subversus said:
How long does an average mission goes?
5 years haha.

A successful run takes up to like 25 minutes, but you'll restart a lot, so a mission will probably all in all take you like 2 hours until you're satisfied with the result.

Then, over the years, you refine more and more, check out alternatives to your approach, things like that.

Edit:
Derrick01 said:

The thing is that gamers tend to say no to change when it's really smarter to inject a series with some fresh juice. And even worse, most of the time, the things you think you like aren't actually the things you like. So the earlier critique like this comes up, the harder it is to take it at face value.

Look, I'm not saying this kind of critique is always wrong. I mean, look at Max Payne, for instance. But I don't think that's what's going on here. Nothing I've read or heard about the title so far makes me think 'Oh no, another fuckup'. Because the upcoming characteristics that are being scrutinized really don't seem like they break the game. I said as much above.

MMaRsu

Banned
brunoa76 said:
Splinter Cell, Hitman, Driver, (Tomb Raider ?)...

Video games are going the wrong way ...

Splinter Cell 2 wasn't great, neither was Hitman Contracts. Driver has had several turds, and so has Tomb Raider.

Not sure why I'd use those examples if I were you :p.

cackhyena

I'll take the new Tomb Raider right now, thank you very much. And the assy downgrade that Conviction was overall, it still has elements that I really want in for the next game. So...growing pains, I guess. They want more money, because these series don't perform as well as they'd like, but the people who were invested in the old, more thought out mechanics feel betrayed. It's understandable, but frustrating.

derFeef

MMaRsu said:
Splinter Cell 2 wasn't great, neither was Hitman Contracts. Driver has had several turds, and so has Tomb Raider.

But pick the cherrys, like Conviction? Sounds like the wrong idea as well.

cackhyena said:
I'll take the new Tomb Raider right now, thank you very much. And the assy downgrade that Conviction was overall, it still has elements that I really want in for the next game. So...growing pains, I guess. They want more money, because these series don't perform as well as they'd like, but the people who were invested in the old, more thought out mechanics feel betrayed. It's understandable, but frustrating.

err...wasn't it said in another thread that Blood Money sold 3 million? Wouldn't call that "not performing well". Pretty sure Conviction also sold less than previous Splinter Cells so sticking with the tried and proven mechanics isn't always a bad thing

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:

Didn't Conviction sell much less than Chaos Theory?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Bah, I liked Splinter Cell Conviction and the new Tomb Raider looks great.

Did you play Chaos Theory?

cackhyena

I guess they just want more money, then. Conviction still did pretty fantastic. I don't know about topping CT or not, and of course I don't know about BM. Just seems like a series that doesn't cater enough to casuals to be considered a "hit" nowadays, I dunno.

I still want elements of Conviction in CT 6. If they are Convictioning this Hitman, maybe the series will get the right amount on the next go 'round. depressing for the faithful, I'm sure.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm ok with changing things if it can maintain the complexity the series is known for. Getting rid of that just to add new stuff is dumbing down and I don't and can't agree with that.

I keep saying this, but they really need to take lessons from the Deus Ex devs on how to do it right. I've forced myself to not play the leaked version but the impressions from gaf have been amazing. It's a worthy successor to the original.

cackhyena said:
I guess they just want more money, then. Conviction still did pretty fantastic. I don't know about topping CT or not, and of course I don't know about BM. Just seems like a series that doesn't cater enough to casuals to be considered a "hit" nowadays, I dunno.

I still want elements of Conviction in CT 6. If they are Convictioning this Hitman, maybe the series will get the right amount on the next go 'round. depressing for the faithful, I'm sure.
As far as I know Conviction bombed so hard that it's the reason there won't be another spliter cell in the near future.

MMaRsu said:
Didn't Conviction sell much less than Chaos Theory?

I did, and it was fantastic. Conviction wasn't as good as it, but as its own game, I think it was great.

Ahoi-Brause said:
As far as I know Conviction bombed so hard that it's the reason there won't be another spliter cell in the near future.

I thought Ubi Toronto was working on SC6. Plus, there was a menu leak and stuff like that a little while ago.

brunoa76

MMaRsu said:

Because the philosophy behind the gameplay is totally different in the last version of those games, these series are clearly turning into (too) accessible games.

cackhyena

Ahoi-Brause said:
I know it's at least sold over two million ( oh, just under then ), and there has been reports of Ubi working on SC6. It did more than fine.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:

What are you on about? As of July 2010, the game has sold 1.9 million copies on PC and Xbox 360 source here. And Raymond's new studio is working on the sequel

Ubi Toronto GM Jade Raymond is yet to reveal any details on the game, saying only: "We're working on Splinter Cell 6, the next iteration of the blockbuster franchise, and we're doing it entirely here in Toronto."

source

First preorder exclusive detailed:

eJ77U.jpg

Interfectum

ZombieFred said:
What are you on about? As of July 2010, the game has sold 1.9 million copies on PC and Xbox 360

I don't believe it sold more than Chaos Theory though and the whole point of Conviction was to reach a wider audience which it failed to do.

Interfectum said:
I don't believe it sold more than Chaos Theory though and the whole point of Conviction was to reach a wider audience which it failed to do.

It also was released only on one platform along with a supposedly really buggy PC port. Possible contributors?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Interfectum said:

That's how much it sold, and it was in Ubisoft's Fiscal results on how much units they shipped across that quater,

Today, Ubisoft released its estimated sales numbers for the first fiscal quarter ending on June 30, 2010. The company reported a whopping 93 percent increase compared to the same period last year, with sales rising to €160 million ($201 million) versus a previous take of €83 million ($104 million). The estimated sales exceeded previous projections of €145 million ($182 million).

The impressive performance came from Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction selling 1.9 million units during the quarter with additional back catalog sales coming from Just Dance, Assassin’s Creed II, and Avatar.

The game did have some fair marketing on TV with commercials and extensive promotion at game stores in the UK (and America?) and that's the results so far. It's most likely at 2.2-5 million shipped right now. Splinter Cell Conviction was a success and has warrant the series to continue. God help to what though...

cackhyena

Interfectum said:
According to this, it did. I don't know how accurate it is, but this is an interesting read, none the less.

"According to ********, Conviction on the 360 sold 640,000 copies more than Chaos Theory on the first XBOX. Ubisoft got what they wanted. But what about us, the gamers?"
http://www.destructoid.com/technical-difficulties-consolitis-196028.phtml

The point is they try to broaden the scope. It works and other companies follow suit. They know they can't be CoD big, but they want to tap into that market. The market that doesn't normally touch these stealth games for the most part.

cackhyena said:
According to this, it did. I don't know how accurate it is, but this is an interesting read, none the less.

"According to ********, Conviction on the 360 sold 640,000 copies more than Chaos Theory on the first XBOX. Ubisoft got what they wanted. But what about us, the gamers?"
http://www.destructoid.com/technical-difficulties-consolitis-196028.phtml

The point is they try to broaden the scope. It works and other companies follow suit. They know they can't be CoD big, but they want to tap into that market. The market that doesn't normally touch these stealth games for the most part.

And what about the market that does care about stealth games? Might as well make EVERY GAME A COD CLONE if that's what you want to achieve!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want to post on here on related to Hitman-threads, because being frank, these become heavily alientated to myself on how people force their opinions about being intruiged and actually thinking Absolution is going to be a good Hitman game (Even with some of the PR Fluff, I've talked to the people who played it and seen the other stuff that's already determined in my confidence with the title and it's strong) and I think the new additions and improved mechanics will make the gameplay great and open to more players, not being dumbed down because of it (and only making it easy on the lower difficulties for better access to others who find it difficuly) and I am looking forward to when the game is more closer to release/ or is out, so then people can really judge the game then.

Don't wish to pick you out Ahoi, and not with disrespect, but you are very forceful on your opinion and how your expressing your view on the game, repeatidly a lot. Splinter Cell Conviction, I know was going to the gutter on stealth when I first saw this. I don't have that with my instinct on this and what I saw already. This looks like the best stealth game we're going to get that's like from the previous generation prior to the crap we've got dished out to us.

MMaRsu

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It also was released only on one platform along with a supposedly really buggy PC port. Possible contributors?

Probably not. It was just a much worse game than CT. Going in the wrong direction.

cackhyena

@ Koopa

Yeah...well, that's the problem, isn't it. Thing is, I think SC6 is going to be a much better mix of what fans really want. CT was awesome, but you moved like a fucking robot. So we get better animations because it's expected. Movement is more life like, ect. But they maybe bring back a lot of things fans bitched about that were omitted ( and we bitched big time, and they heard us ). Best of both worlds, hopefully. Hopefully.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
cackhyena said:
Yeah...well, that's the problem, isn't it. Thing is, I think SC6 is going to be a much better mix of what fans really want. CT was awesome, but you moved like a fucking robot. So we get better animations because it's expected. Movement is more life like, ect. But they maybe bring back a lot of things fans bitched about that were omitted ( and we bitched big time, and they heard us ). Best of both worlds, hopefully. Hopefully.

Well Conviction's production was a complete mess, especially once the core members from montreal that worked on CT, left and moved onto other projects (Farcry, Eidos Montreal, etc) and the guy from Raindbow Six Vegas moving onto the project after and got what we had. He did wanted to add several mechanics into it (moving/hiding bodies) but didn't have the time to do so, and we got the actionfied Splinter Ceel title we had. There was some very great ideas that could of been great if done on the game (Some of the level design in the game was great for one) if they moved on the stealth side of things. I just got heavily offended when they removed the stat results from each end of the mission and not having the option for leathal/none leathal takedowns. Hitman Absolution keeps all this form previous Hitman games (excluding the old map we had from previous titles and now got the mini map outside if we disable instinct) so at least the benifit from this is that we have to rely on our memory and suroundings more for our target and other AIs working around the game. That has far more potential in my opinion.

I personally don't see the point in being "cautiously optimistic about a game that seems like it could suck", because that sure as fuck didn't help people who were excited about a dragon age or crysis sequel.
Deus Ex fans complained a lot and the studio knew what they were dealing with. Why should the hitman fanbase eat this up without complaining?
If burger king announces they're going to make whoppers with rat meat from now on I'm not going to be cautiously optimistic about rat meat, I'd rather complain about it online and take my business elsewhere.

This is not to anyone who looks forward to the game, because that's your own choice, but to people who tell other people to stop complaining about this game.

ZombieFred said:
Hitman Absolution keeps all this form previous Hitman games (excluding the old map we had from previous titles and now got the mini map outside if we disable instinct)
Except for cinematic takedowns and enviromental takedowns, cover mechanics, set-piece shootouts and checkpoints. Not to mention how shitty IO treats veteran voice actors.

plc268

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Bah, I liked Splinter Cell Conviction and the new Tomb Raider looks great.
MMaRsu said:

Conviction is not really a bad game, it's problem is, is that it has Splinter Cell in it's name. There's already a lot of built in expectations to improve on Chaos Theory (or Double Agent, I guess :\) and make a great game out of it. Instead, they regressed and redid the gameplay mechanics and slapped the Splinter Cell name on it... insulting to those who loved the old SC games in the past.

Conviction is a pretty slick game, but stick another Tom Clancy universe on it instead, and it would've been much better received, imo.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
cackhyena said:
I miss so fucking much about CT. I think I'm gonna fire up my Games on Demand version tonight.

Ever played Chaos-Theory's COOP over Live? One little detail added that really stand out was over on the mic, if you was loud or quiet, the enemy AI nearby would(not) hear you and respond to that area where the player was standing. Little things like this thanks to the great work Pandora Tomorow (Yes, that studio did something amazing with the COOP) and Chaos Theory made. Shame we'll never get stuff like this and old Rainbow Six ever again (unless proven wrong, but that's very unlikely at the present moment) and we've got to thank the stupid trend (and it will fade away at some point, as all things do, even COD will have its fate) thanks to the ridicilous sales COD made.

Top Bottom