• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

Izayoi said:
I want whatever the [ME2 DLC SPOILERS]
Shadow Broker
was to be a potential squad mate. How fucking awesome would that be.

Pretty impossible, because:
Their race is pre space-travel, they're basically feral.

Jerk

Banned
mavs said:
What? KOTOR is garbage compared to Mass Effect. I want a spiritual successor to Mass Effect.

Wait, what? There are very few things that Mass Effect does better than KOTOR.

Izayoi

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Pretty impossible, because:
Their race is pre space-travel, they're basically feral.
Well, the original
Shadow Broker
was able to make contact with one, right? I mean, if the Shepard really wants all the firepower he can get, there's no better place to find it.

Arjen

Izayoi said:
I want whatever the [ME2 DLC SPOILERS]
Shadow Broker
was to be a potential squad mate. How fucking awesome would that be.

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome

Mr_Zombie

APZonerunner said:
Consider this: Then she was an Alliance Marine, and had to follow a strict dress code. Soldiers don't wear their hair down and they don't wear heels. Now she's a Spectre. She can do and wear whatever the fuck she wants.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure running in high-heels and having your hair flowing around is very comfortable when you're on a mission; it's sure isn't distracting, at all. The same goes with choosing a good looking suit over a proper armor.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Jerk said:
Wait, what? There are very few things that Mass Effect does better than KOTOR.

Writing in Mass Effect is subpar sometimes, but it's horrible non-stop in KOTOR. Sometimes I thought the game was trolling me.

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
Writing in Mass Effect is subpar sometimes, but it's horrible non-stop in KOTOR. Sometimes I thought the game was trolling me.

It has been years, but I am going to say that I disagree with this. KOTOR definitely has the old-school ham (It is Star Wars after all) but the plot and characters are better written (still nothing too special though).

The dialogue on the other hand...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is the first time I've planned to kill a squadmember even before getting the game. Thane I ended up killing the last three times I finished the game. But in my defense, how could I have known he wouldn't survive the vents without being loyal?

Chinner

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Consider this: Then she was an Alliance Marine, and had to follow a strict dress code. Soldiers don't wear their hair down and they don't wear heels. Now she's a Spectre. She can do and wear whatever the fuck she wants.
that's so hot, im litereally jerking off. oh my god i want to put my penis in her!

oh christ, and i can shoot brown middle-space aliens? hollly shitt this is awesoime, killing foreign aliens and having sex with beautiful women, this truly is the best game ever made.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Chinner said:
that's so hot, im litereally jerking off. oh my god i want to put my penis in her!

oh christ, and i can shoot brown middle-space aliens? hollly shitt this is awesoime, killing foreign aliens and having sex with beautiful women, this truly is the best game ever made.

So now Mass Effect has essentially become class warfare between the COD loving proliteriate and the snobby (mostly PC) elitists. lol @ video games.

Maxim726X

truly101 said:
So now Mass Effect has essentially become class warfare between the COD loving proliteriate and the snobby (mostly PC) elitists. lol @ video games.

Is it popular?

....Then yes, that's basically what every popular franchise boils down to.

Sickboy007 said:
whatgoalsme3bioab5q.jpg
Purty much.

This Vega douche will probably utter f-bombs every other word so it will be another game that I can't play around my 1 year old. Hopefully there's an option in the game to sensor the language (wild wish).

I'm waiting for the EA Trax to show up on the sound track next. Vega looks like he belongs in Gears of War 3. But hey, that's what sells. It's no surprise that Mass Effect has evolved from hardcore RPG to a Dudebro Shooter 3933983 part 2. I hope these shooters go the way of Guitar Hero/Rock Band and I hope some developers are shut down in the process.

This genre needs to die and die hard and fast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GuiltySpank said:
It's no surprise that Mass Effect has evolved from hardcore RPG

Mass Effect was never a 'hardcore RPG'.

Chinner said:

I love you, Chinner. To be clear, I'm not necessarily agreeing that the change in her character is a good one, but people shouting about "where has my Ashley gone, there's no plot reason for this change" can just look to that, really. It's a simple enough explanation. Perhaps things she wanted to do, but couldn't until now.

I mean, we all know the truth - Bioware wanted an UBER HOT CHICK for the human female ally. Whatever, though. I'll be rocking Liara and Garrus as much as possible anyway. Original squad for life.

MaddenNFL64 said:
The people complaining seem to be the biggest fans of the series on GAF.

You guys think there's a chance you might have a change of heart when it's released?
I would love to have a "change of heart" after playing it. That said, I'm not vehemently raging against the game, just some of the choices being made appear profoundly dumb.

I thought the gameplay in ME2 was a step up, in some respects, from ME1. I hated losing the RPG-ish stuff for stat customization, but I still felt the game played better during combat. It's nothing to write home about, but it made combat at least feel more exciting. It seems ME3 will be building off of that again, and I'm glad that we're getting some amount of customization for approaching combat with the new weapons stuff. That said, the presentation for that still reminds me of something I would expect to see in a common shooter.

I think a lot of the secondary characters were really good, the dialogue system (red and blue aside) was still pretty decent, and the overall direction wasn't terrible. It wasn't headed entirely in a vein that would have stayed more true to the space opera of the first, but it was by no means a terrible game. It was more disappointing to see it deviating towards more commonplace solutions like cover based shooting, chunkier visual design, characters and writing that were far more pandering, and so forth.

There are some choices showing up in how Bioware is handling the property that have taken that next step of ME2 toward what we've seen thus far for ME3. They talk more about the action action action, focus too much attention on romancing, and with really odd designs like the cerberus operatives/ninjas/night sticks/combat robots/Ashley/Vega/so forth it just seems like a major misstep in logic.

I'm praying that the conclusion isn't terrible. I quite like the games, and I would hate to see it all end on a sour note. I'm just not seeing anything so far that makes me feel it would be to the contrary.

Enosh

awesome, day 1

and I still laugh at the whole "dudebro" mene
certain gaf users having issues with high school memories is always fun

LuchaShaq

Banned
All the marketing about Mass Effect 2 was "dudebro" but it was my favorite game of this generation so writing it off just because of this is ridiculous imo.

Balehead

GuiltySpank said:
This Vega douche will probably utter f-bombs every other word so it will be another game that I can't play around my 1 year old. Hopefully there's an option in the game to sensor the language (wild wish).

I don't think BioWare is edgy enough yet to have cursing in their games. Shepard might shout "Oh fiddlesticks, another wave!" every now on then, but that's probably it. Just don't watch the trailers in front of your kid, this is going to be the new shit afterall.

Orayn

GuiltySpank said:
Purty much.

I'm waiting for the EA Trax to show up on the sound track next. Vega looks like he belongs in Gears of War 3. But hey, that's what sells. It's no surprise that Mass Effect has evolved from hardcore RPG to a Dudebro Shooter 3933983 part 2. I hope these shooters go the way of Guitar Hero/Rock Band and I hope some developers are shut down in the process.

This genre needs to die and die hard and fast.
What genre? Games you don't like? Mass Effect may have some poor design decisions and hamfisted marketing, but it's still very much an action-RPG series, and has been since the first installment.

Chinner

Banned
APZonerunner said:
I love you, Chinner. To be clear, I'm not necessarily agreeing that the change in her character is a good one, but people shouting about "where has my Ashley gone, there's no plot reason for this change" can just look to that, really. It's a simple enough explanation. Perhaps things she wanted to do, but couldn't until now.

I mean, we all know the truth - Bioware wanted an UBER HOT CHICK for the human female ally. Whatever, though. I'll be rocking Liara and Garrus as much as possible anyway. Original squad for life.
I'm not sure what the 'plot' reason will be, even if there is one. I mean if you want to get into the NERD details, then I suppose the complaint would be something like; In Mass Effect Ashley was established to be character who cared more about her beliefs than her appearance, so these changes imply a betrayal of her character. Although I appreciate your justification is just a response to the nerd-rage.

The truth is that Bioware is trying to appeal to a larger male demographic, and although I can understand the incentive to generate more money that doesn't stop me and others from criticising the dumbing down of the series.

EatChildren said:
Mass Effect was never a 'hardcore RPG'.
It was basically KOTOR without the Star Wars license. I don't know about you, but customizable armor, exploration and dungeon looting are all features of a hardcore RPG. ME had all of those. Too bad the dudebros complained about "empty" planets (ever seen Mars lately?) and the "tedious" menu system.

Lothars

Chinner said:
The truth is that Bioware is trying to appeal to a larger male demographic, and although I can understand the incentive to generate more money that doesn't stop me and others from criticising the dumbing down of the series.

Yes but that also doesn't mean that you and others that say the series is being dumbed down is correct either.

Lothars said:
Yes but that also doesn't mean that you and others that say the series is being dumbed down is correct either.
There's several things that leads me to feel otherwise.
Weapons for example-

The first one allowed for a wide amount of customization in building them. We actually saw numbers for how effective certain aspects were. In ME2, we have the choice between gun a, b, or c. There are apparently active statistical differences in the weapons, but we wouldn't know it since we're never presented that information.

The only place I remember ever seeing anything indicative of stats like that were the armor controls. Sure, we have the weapon upgrade system, but it feels like nothing's happening when we can't actually tell what the heck "40% more powerful" actually means.

Call it "streamlining" or whatever you want, but I still would have felt that keeping stats for the weapons would have been more effectively done by fixing the system they had instead of hiding it from the player because there's too many numbers to think about.

Arjen

GuiltySpank said:
It was basically KOTOR without the Star Wars license. I don't know about you, but customizable armor, exploration and dungeon looting are all features of a hardcore RPG. ME had all of those. Too bad the dudebros complained about "empty" planets (ever seen Mars lately?) and the "tedious" menu system.

People complained about the menu system because it was godawfull.

I'd love to sample some of Mansell's work for ME3. One of the most effective things in building atmosphere in ME1 was that sexcellent soundtrack.

_dementia said:
I'd love to sample some of Mansell's work for ME3. One of the most effective things in building atmosphere in ME1 was that sexcellent soundtrack.
I'm really looking forward to hearing it as well. I'm crossing my fingers that all of the music we've heard so far from the trailers at e3 weren't his work. I still have high hopes for the soundtrack after being a little let down by ME2. It was still good, but not as good as ME1's music.

_dementia said:

I believe when Shepard approaches the child in the duct, you hear a sample of Mansell's work.

Oh, great more stupid human characters no one will care about.

Thanks Bioware.

Zenith said:
Why would you give a space racist carte blanche to kill aliens by making them a Spectre?

She is a racist, but she refused the most radical and violent approaches.

C'mon, I don't like that much Ashley, but some of you had some distorted view of her personality.

Stumpokapow said:
Everyone is a Spectre now.

Even Conrad Verner.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Zenith said:
Why would you give a space racist carte blanche to kill aliens by making them a Spectre?

Everyone who didn't play with Ashley in their party simply wrote her off as a bigot because of one line she has at the beginning of the game. Her comments make her seem rough around the edges, but there are several points throughout the game where she clearly demonstrates an intolerance for discrimination and senseless racism.

Kinyou

Didn't many people end up liking subject zero even though she was the definition of dude broness?

Relaxed Muscle said:
Even Conrad Verner.
Conrad Verner, the man who saved the Galaxy

WanderingWind said:
Isn't Vega the gay character they added? I could've swore he was added to give gay gamers a romance option.
Wasn't it rumored that
Kaidan was a Gay relationship opportunity in ME3?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kinyou said:
Didn't many people end up liking subject zero even though she was the definition of dude broness?

Not good people, no. Very bad people did, but they also like black licorice and bagged milk.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Maybe Vega's backtory will be interesting and it'll turn out he's the first successful human/krogan hybrid.

Kinyou said:
I didn't like her. I never used her outside of her loyalty mission because of how much her personality and appearance stuck out. Yeah, I know, that's the point. I still didn't like it.

Kinyou said:
Conrad Verner, the man who saved the Galaxy
Oh man, I'm his biggest fan! I hope he'll sign my gun!

Orayn said:
What genre? Games you don't like? Mass Effect may have some poor design decisions and hamfisted marketing, but it's still very much an action-RPG series, and has been since the first installment.
The "Dudebro shooter" genre. Gratuitous violence, f-bombs galore and basically everything else that would make a horrible Hollywood movie. Most "serious" shooters these days wouldn't even qualify to be aired on SyFy.

Galactic Fork said:
Maybe Vega's backtory will be interesting and it'll turn out he's the first successful human/krogan hybrid.
Not likely. He'll probably take the place that a Krogan would occupy in your squad. Complete with corny one liners like, "Fuck yeah!" and "Eat shit and die!" and "What the fuckity-shit, motherfucker, fuck this!"

Top Bottom