• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Snipers will have Scope Reflection & Sway

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Daniel Matros (DICE Community Manager) has been talking in a podcast by Dont Revive Me Bro. He has recently confirmed that snipers will get scope reflection & scope sway to balance out the addition of prone. Snipers that lay still for a certain amount of time will have a reflection in their scope that will give away their position (appears as a small flash to the enemy). Snipers will also have scope sway to stop people from overusing them. Scope sway ensures the constant movement of the cross-hair so its not as simple as “aim and shoot”.

These features have been added to balance the addition of prone to Battlefield 3 gameplay. It will prevent snipers from being overused and stops snipers from constantly camping.

Listen to the full podcast from Dont Revive Me Bro: Here
He talks about a lot of stuff incl. Beta news in a few weeks, quick scoping, female soldiers...

Binabik15

Sn4ke_911 said:

F9tIC.gif

itsgreen

Hmmm artificial shit sucks... I used to play Joint Ops and I would just lay proned for hours :) Hopping every 10 minutes to another location near by so I wouldn't get taken out easily. Awesome game :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I want this tidbit running on PC right now. With the lighting in that game, it should be sick.

Sounds cool but having an artificial scope reflection wouldn't really make sense on some stages though, right? Like dark places or areas where there really wouldn't be the light to cause such a reflection. It's a cool idea, but as graphics get better stuff like that becomes more jarring, even if it's meant as a gameplay balance

It won't work. No matter how much you nerf it, half of all CoD/Battlefield players think of themselves as elite sniper badasses and will continue to pick sniper classes.

Cheech

Well done DICE. IMO sniping doesn't really have much place in Battlefield, but this is a good way to offset jerk behavior.

Neuromancer said:
It won't work. No matter how much you nerf it, half of all CoD/Battlefield players think of themselves as elite sniper badasses and will continue to pick sniper classes.

It's hard to actually play as a sniper the right way when games give away your position with killcams.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
Sounds great. can you cap the scope to avoid reflections?

No. But you want to avoid reflections? GET THE FUCK UP AND GET TO THE OBJECTIVE YOU DUMBASS CAMPER. ARHGARGHARHGARHGARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH*foamsatmouthatdumbassteammates*

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I hate snipers so much. It's not because I hate being killed by them. It's because they do -absolutely nothing- to help with the goals of the map be it conquest or rush.

What they really should do is make the sniper class something you have to earn in-match through completing team goals, and then only allow you to use it for a minute or two.

Good, nobody likes snipers anyways. Make sniping a pain in the ass and make the class used for what it name entitles, Recon. Seriously, Fuck Snipers and their camping ways. I would go one step farther and kill anyone who stays stationary for more than a few minutes at a time. In a game about capping flags or rushing bases, snipers are unneeded and hurt the team, more than they help.

Sennorin

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I hate snipers so much. It's not because I hate being killed by them. It's because they do -absolutely nothing- to help with the goals of the map be it conquest or rush.

What they really should do is make the sniper class something you have to earn in-match through completing team goals, and then only allow you to use it for a minute or two.

no. the problem with snipers is that they´re usually executed in a crappy way. adding reflection and sway seems like a good idea to counter the typical problems with snipers in online-matches. though I hope that reflections are realistically calculated and not permanent no matter the location aka in dark rooms or the likes.

Enosh

It will prevent snipers from being overused and stops snipers from constantly camping.
oh how I wish this would be true

but there is no way in hell snipers won't be overused

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Neuromancer said:
The first few weeks of F2P TF2 have opened my eyes in many ways, since I don't play any other shooters.

"hmmm, i think i just saw a light flash over the- *ZING*"

"OH SHIT SNIPER!!! SUPPRESSIVE FIRE!!!!"

"SUPPORT KEEP HIM LOCKED DOWN, TEAM -- FLANK LEFT! GOGOGO!"

Derrick01

Banned
FlyinJ said:

Yup the majority I ran into when I played were completely useless. They wouldn't even use the spot feature to be at least a little useful to the team. The only time they would use their motion mines was on themselves so they could catch anyone coming after their camping ass.

plainr_

As long the bullet physics remain the same as BC2, I'm okay with it. More advantage for me vs other snipers.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Legato.Reborn- said:
"hmmm, i think i just saw a light flash over the- *ZING*"

"OH SHIT SNIPER!!! SUPPRESSIVE FIRE!!!!"

"SUPPORT KEEP HIM LOCKED DOWN, TEAM -- FLANK LEFT! GOGOGO!"

:lol

CozMick

Banned
Well that's approximately 10,000,000 copies staying on the shelves.

Because we all know that Snipers are the go to class for the l33t crowd.

Excellent news though.

FlyinJ said:

well a good sniper spots enemies and helps take out hiding enemies. But there are too many people playing as them. A team needs one or two at most. I'm more than ok with this change.

Jhriad

itsgreen said:
Hmmm artificial shit sucks...

Scope reflections aren't exactly aritifical the use of them in this instance is a little contrived but only in that they have a timer of some sorts determining the reflection rather than movement or something like that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FlyinJ said:

That'll just increase the allure of the class and make it even more popular. Best thing to do balance-wise is make their mistakes punishable. Mistakes like missing or staying in one spot for too long. Armored transports are a natural check against them as well, and should be provided in liberal amounts.

The class isn't useless to the team in the right hands. They can help by stopping a coordinated advance, by preventing ninja capping, or by locking down a large area, and they also get a big chunk of recon responsibilities this time. The problem is when people fail to use the class strategically or leave other important team roles unfulfilled.

They should increase reload time, make people have to adjust for distance somehow (basically, the further the target, the more off the center of the reticule is from the actual hit), uhh...

Varna

They should just lower the points gained from killing infantry with sniper rifles (on top of these changes). In general more points should be awarded for objectives then mindless killing.

Any word on perks being balanced better this time around? The early stuff in BC2 was great, but then you get the obvious must have shit and it begins to suck really fast.

Magnum Ammo = Lower magazine size
Armor = Slower moving speed

Some pretty simple things would balance it out.

Divius

Good stuff. I also hope they somehow limit the amount of snipers allowed per team. Sometimes when I'm in the attacking group I see we have like 9 or 10 snipers, which is bullshit and kills the game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I like how they call it "the addition of prone". Right. What's this game a sequel to again?

Top Bottom