• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Q2 FY12: MW2 = 22M/BLOPS = 25M; WoW Loses 300,000 Subs; 900,000 Lost Total

HBroward

Haha, "Moving on to Starcraft 2" came pretty damn fast. Better come back to some WoW numbers.

Edit: 11.1 million WoW subscribers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
UnblessedSoul said:
11.1mil subs? even though they launched in China lol
Doesn't work that way in China.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nirolak said:
They count Chinese subs as "accounts that have played in the last 30 days".
Ah, fair enough.

Yoshichan

Well considering I was a vanilla WoW, TBC, Wrath, Cata and SC2-beta tester, I better fucking get a D3-beta key someday.

erragal

Yoshichan said:
Well considering I was a vanilla WoW, TBC, Wrath, Cata and SC2-beta tester, I better fucking get a D3-beta key someday.

Totally offtopic but did you tell them how they were ruining their game in the Cata beta?

Kalnos

Banned
HotHamWater said:
Diablo 3 boxed model "at least in the West." So, might be micro transaction based in the East?

Well, WoW works differently in China as noted so Diablo might as well. IIRC they pay 6 cents per hour to play WoW and if they play at least one hour a month they're considered a 'subscriber'.

Yoshichan

erragal said:
Totally offtopic but did you tell them how they were ruining their game in the Cata beta?
I told them how fucking brilliant heroics were (with 333 gear), how amazing the art direction was in Deepholm, how satisfying healing had become and how genius the complete talent rehaul was.

erragal

Yoshichan said:
I told them how fucking brilliant heroics were (with 333 gear), how amazing the art direction was in Deepholm, how satisfying healing had become and how genius the complete talent rehaul was.

I haven't seen the art in Deepholm or played the heroics...but you can't be serious about the last two. You really can't. Tell me you're trolling me. Please.

HotHamWater said:
Black Ops at 25 million. MW2 at 22 million.
Mother of God. Those are some insane sales. MW3 is going to be a beast on the sales charts, like those before it. I'd love to know the breakdown on the DLC's they have sold per COD and how much each one has sold per platform. I have to imagine they are only gaining more and more steam with each DLC.

Yoshichan

erragal said:
I haven't seen the art in Deepholm or played the heroics...but you can't be serious about the last two. You really can't. Tell me you're trolling me. Please.
You haven't played heroics (which also means you haven't touched raids) so how in the living fuck would you know if healing is or isn't satisfying? Please don't tell me you liked healing in Wrath of the Rejuvenation-Spam King?

HBroward

Ok, addressing D3 in 2011 versus 2012, comes down to whether all the "complex pieces" come together, they are waiting till it's ready for "prime time."

Edit: That was their answer in response to a question.

everything has it's time. it's amazing that they've still got more than ten million subscribers after so long, but the writing was on the wall when the last expansion didn't the same effect as the first two. it's got a good few years left mind.

bengraven

HotHamWater said:
I'd bet a good chunk of money that that next major WoW patch will hit around SWTOR's release.

Patch, maybe, but not expansion...they can't screw themselves like that. They would think users would go to their expansion due to loyalty, but they would be shooting themselves in the foot. They need to release it a couple months before or after.

Home

HotHamWater said:
Users selling maps? Wat.

It's been announced before the release, but was put on hold. Basically a marketplace where map makers (and potentially Blizzard themselves) can release maps or campaigns for sale.

Yoshichan

Won said:
Other MMO developers wish they had 900.000 customers to lose.
This.

Oh right, I kinda glazed over for a second and thought he was talking about Diablo 3.

Starcraft map thing seem's like something you'd role out with one of the expansions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Won said:
Other MMO developers wish they had 900.000 customers to lose.
Sure, but that's irrelevant for Activision's fiscal results, since they have to show growth profit growth every year to satisfy investors.

Top Bottom