• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Shiggy
(08-05-2011, 05:41 PM)
Deserves a new thread...

Originally Posted by Strummerjones

Team Bondi are now bankrupt and the remaining staff are going to be bought by KMM, including Brendan McNamara who was instrumental in sealing the deal. Apparently Depth Analysis (the sister company who own the face tech) are also in some trouble after making little to no money off of LA Noire (like TB themselves).

Rockstar own the LA Noire ip, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Thats after this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...emails-article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-seeking-buyer
Pranay_
(08-05-2011, 05:41 PM)
:(
kittens
(08-05-2011, 05:42 PM)
That is so F'd. Damn. :-(
Dennis
(08-05-2011, 05:42 PM)
I am still getting a PC version of LA Noire, right?
TheLegendOfMart
Banned
(08-05-2011, 05:43 PM)
Karmas a bitch aint it.
weeaboo

Team Bondi are now bankrupt

loooooooool

But the game sold well, what the hell have they done?
DaBuddaDa

Originally Posted by DennisK4

Rockstar's got your back.
Scythian

I'd like to know this as well, also I supposed that the game sold pretty good, what gives?
TheOddOne
"It happend"
dallow_bg
nods at old men
Topped NPD for two months y'all!
obonicus
(08-05-2011, 05:44 PM)
So they're buying the staff? Labor laws in Australia are rough.
TheStevo
Banned
Always sad to see a good developer go out of business.

Damn, I hope we are. :[
Dynamite Shikoku
someone will bail them out - this is the 21st century
schick85
Good for McNamara.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.

Originally Posted by weeaboo

loooooooool

But the game sold well, what the hell have they done?

Rockstar owns the IP. So i'm assuming that they took a big chunk of the revenue?
Hot Coldman
Oh boy. This shouldn't be surprising, really.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
The game and tech were probably not cheap to make. I understand why it was not on just 1 platform. Anyone can see that this game doesn't exactly look cheap to make.
DaBuddaDa
(08-05-2011, 05:45 PM)
There was a big thread a little while ago with David Cage of Heavy Rain infamy said that the face tech in LA Noire was a dead end, unsustainable and not the direction the industry should be headed in. Many jumped at his throat and it turned into a David Cage/Heavy Rain shitfest.

Lookie what we have here...
Pie and Beans
Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
(08-05-2011, 05:46 PM)
theres money in them thar games.
B_Rik_Schitthaus
Banned
(08-05-2011, 05:46 PM)
So did Rockstar fuck them over? Making little to no money off of a million seller seems unlikely.

And some of the devepolment cost would have been paid by Sony so its not like Bondi would have to shoulder that burden.
TheStevo
Banned
(08-05-2011, 05:47 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Topped NPD for two months y'all!

I thought it sold over a million as well... just how much money did they invest into LA Noire? I thought this game was a hit...
spindoctor
I don't get it. Where did all the money they had to have made from L.A. Noire go?
SolidSnakex

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Rockstar owns the IP. So i'm assuming that they took a big chunk of the revenue?

It probably hasn't even turned a profit yet. Sony was rumored to have pumped 20m into the game before Rockstar bought the IP in 2006. There's no telling how much money Rockstar had to put into it.
nib95
Banned

Originally Posted by B_Rik_Schitthaus

So did Rockstar fuck them over? Making little to no money off of a million seller seems unlikely.

And some of the devepolment cost would have been paid by Sony so its not like Bondi would have to shoulder that burden.

This....Smells fishy.
An-Det
(08-05-2011, 05:48 PM)
I'm not surprised, considering they couldnt find a new deal after the shit with Rockstar and Sony. The game did well, but just not good enough.

At least LA Noire will live through Rockstar.
LiquidMetal14
Bad management decisions if the game did decent or well and still went bankrupt. After those stories on how hellish the process was and such I'm even less surprised.
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
So this is why Sony bailed out. Smh.

7 years in development + just over 1 million sales. Yeah. GG.
Vinterbird

Originally Posted by TheStevo

I thought it sold over a million as well... just how much money did they invest into LA Noire? I thought this game was a hit...

Doesn't mean the amount sold makes it turn a profit. There's without a doubt massive and insane R&D budgets and after seven years, there must have been some serious employee costs involved.
Sho_Nuff82
But LA Noire sold like 3 million copies in a month, and still charts pretty regularly in Europe.

I remember saying a little while back that that if there was ever a point where a multi-million selling game still can't make back its budget, then we reached the feasible limit of game budgets. Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Barring a revolutionary improvement in the time and manpower invested in asset creation, modern games have reached the upper limit of what we can expect in terms of content.

Edit: Scratch that, it's 4 million shipped as of mid-June
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(08-05-2011, 05:49 PM)
haha I like McNamara, he's a really artist with a relentless aim to accomplish envisioned goals.

That face tech in the game wouldn't have been invented without his design plans I assume. I think he is the kind of guy who needs to be challenged at every turn for ingenuity.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
It's his studio, he can bankrupt it if he wants to.
djplaeskool
For a game to have sold as well as LA Noire did, the development of the MotionScan tech must have cost a fortune.
Edit: Oh yeah, it was also a dev marathon (6+ years was it?). That still seems like some way unbalanced spending.
sixteen-bit
(08-05-2011, 05:50 PM)
Not surprising with a game of that development time and budget.
Foliorum Viridum
Banned
Not nice that a company went out of business, but the game was a huge letdown and in some regards an absolute mess, so... I don't feel too bad about it.

I hope Rockstar internally develop LA Noire 2 and it's equally as Godly as GTA IV/RDR.
Foffy

Originally Posted by DaBuddaDa

There was a big thread a little while ago with David Cage of Heavy Rain infamy said that the face tech in LA Noire was a dead end, unsustainable and not the direction the industry should be headed in. Many jumped at his throat and it turned into a David Cage/Heavy Rain shitfest.

It didn't come off that Cage was referring to finances and profitability. Which is why people got into an argument in the first place.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
So not the way to make videogames. Whole situation is crazy.
Carl
Guess there's a big reason why the creepy face tech shouldn't be used in all games, then
diffusionx

Originally Posted by TheStevo

Depending on how it cost... that might not even be enough. I know historically "million seller" has always been a benchmark, but these damn games are costing so much that it is entirely possible that it's not enough anymore.

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

I remember saying a little while back that that if there was ever a point where a multi-million selling game still can't make back its budget, then we reached the feasible limit of game budgets. Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Barring a revolutionary improvement in the time and manpower invested in asset creation, modern games have reached the upper limit of what we can expect in terms of content.

Eh... this game was mismanaged for 7 or 8 years, and the studio was run by an incompetent dictator. Thankfully not every game is like that (more than there should be, though).
LiquidMetal14

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

But LA Noire sold like 3 million copies in a month, and still charts pretty regularly in Europe.

I think this will improve next gen, like many others. Things need to come down, not get exponentially complex.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(08-05-2011, 05:51 PM)

Yeah, the port is being worked on by one of the Rockstar teams. This should have zero effect on it.
B_Rik_Schitthaus
Banned

Originally Posted by DaBuddaDa

While the face tech would be expensive its really not the reason for any of this, it looks to me (just by the known history) like McNamara was hard to work with after Sony dropped the project they would have had to self fund, leading to McNamara taking what ever offer Rockstar would give him, turns out the deal meant they kept all the cash.
Amagon
Woah!!!! Never thought they go bankrupt this fast. I thought give them another year at least.
BlazingDarkness
:O
Mammoth Jones
A lot of expensive tech and development time for what ended up being a mediocre (at best) game.

I won't lie, I fell for the marketing hype. I read up and I was impressed by the tech. And I will admit, the facial animations are great. But at the end of the day I just didn't have *fun* with LA Noire.
TheStevo
Banned

Originally Posted by Vinterbird

Doesn't mean the amount sold makes it turn a profit. There's without a doubt massive and insane R&D budgets and after seven years, there must have been some serious employee costs involved.

But the game is still selling pretty good right now--topped both months on NPD, and has been expected to shift 4 million from what I recall (may be inaccurate, just going off memory). Pulling the plug on the Studios so soon after it released seems a bit off base to me. Craziness, actually. Anyways, I hope for the best for the employees--pity that they were brought down after their game was a hit.
SolidSnakex
(08-05-2011, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Foffy

It didn't come off that Cage was referring to finances and profitability. Which is why people got into an argument in the first place.

He was referring to how much it would cost to use it and how viable it was as a tool for developers. People still dismissed his opinion.
AgentChris
(08-05-2011, 05:52 PM)
Team Bondi is a clusterfuck. If you can't make it work with SCE or Rockstar then you is fucked.
Fine Ham Abounds
(08-05-2011, 05:53 PM)

the remaining staff are going to be bought by KMM

Que?
Sho_Nuff82
And remember guys, Pachter told these employees to stop whining and get back to work. 7 Goddamn years.
TheStevo
Banned

Originally Posted by diffusionx

Depending on how it cost... that might not even be enough. I know historically "million seller" has always been a benchmark, but these damn games are costing so much that it is entirely possible that it's not enough anymore.

Indeed, which is inherently a very sad ordeal. I don't suppose any of us here are privy to the costs they faced with LA Noire?