• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Labadal
(08-06-2011, 12:44 PM)
I've been reading all kinds of topics lately about how the price of the Vita should be lowered and how it is already dead on arrival because of the 3DS price drop and the smartphone + tablet trend.

My question to people with smartphones and/or tablets is: Will you get a PlayStation Vita at $250 if enough compelling software is available at release?

I'm asking this because I own an iphone 4 myself. I do have some games: Angry Birds, Game Dev Story and Chrimson Gem Saga. That's it. I might buy a few more games down the line like: Cut the Rope, etc. But these games are a completely different kind of game that will be available on PSVita.

How would a game like Dragon's Crown, Wipeout or a Final Fantasy with action focused gameplay work on the iphone? Chrimosn Gem Saga is a completely turn based RPG, and even that doesn't feel perfect for the iphone.

An iphone and a PSVita are two different things for me. The iphone, I treat as a phone with lots of capabilites. I love it actually, half of my posts on neogaf are from my phone, I read all my mail from it and I have started to pay my bills with it. It follows me anywhere(well, duh it's a phone). BUT I do not treat it as a dedicated gaming device. It doesn't matter if the Vita has facebook, skype or twitter, I buy a Vita only because I will be gaming on it. It is not competing with other devices like smartphones or tablets for me.

It will only be competing with one other device: the 3DS. I got one for a very good price on ebay. I think the 3DS had to get a price drop because after the initial launch, there hasn't been much to look forward to, wich means no big incentive to get one no matter the price. The only 3DS game I want at the moment is Tales of the Abyss. (I'm still happy with my purchase, because I have bought tonnes of NDS games, never owned a NDS.) I would have gladly paid the full price if there was enough software.

If we look at the Vita, I don't think Sony will repeat the same mistake Nintendo did with 3DS: Releasing a handheld without enough support.

I am already interested in some PSVita games: LBP, Modnation Racers, Ucharted: GA, Gravity Daze, Everybody's Golf and Dragon's Crown. Then we have Wipeout, Sound Snapes, and a couple of fighting games and whatever will be announced at TGS. I am guessing they will also allow us to play our PSOne classics.

As a comparison, I own zero actual 3DS games.
Diprosalic
(08-06-2011, 12:45 PM)
no i won't but that has nothing to do with me owning a smartphone. i never play games on my phone.
McLovin
(08-06-2011, 12:46 PM)
I have a Evo3D and I plan on getting a PS Vita
Pein
(08-06-2011, 12:49 PM)
No, I already have the only portable game that matters, Angry birds.
Aeana
Medal Princess
I'll get any hardware that has games I want to play on it.
Samus4145
Yes. While I do a couple minutes of gaming here and there on my phone it is only free games. I will never pay for a game on a phone or app.

PSVita will bring games that I want to play. I'd mostly play it at home in any event.
Last edited by Samus4145; 08-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
MightyKAC
(08-06-2011, 12:50 PM)
iPad/iPhone owner here:

Hells yea I'm getting me a Vita. I don't see monster hunter or tekken tag 2 somehow becoming playable on an iDevice anytime soon.
LordCanti
I own an iPhone 4, and I game on it whenever I have a free minute between university classes (if they are scheduled close together). I've got consoles, and I wouldn't play the Vita while at home, so no, I won't be purchasing one.
Manmademan
Smartphones, especially android phones are nearly worthless for gaming next to something like the vita.

I'm on board day 1- gamers who missed out on the PSP especially should take notice, since there's a LOT of really good PSP software on psn available that's far superior to anything on ios or android at a low price
Ichor
Yes, I am a gamer first and foremost. The smartphone is mostly for music listening, a camera and of course a phone. The Vita is purely for games. I'm also really hoping we'll somehow get PS2 games up on the store for Vita, I love the PSX classics so much. I loved how thanks to homebrew PSP became a portable all in one gaming device. Stuck all my GBA/SNES/GEN/PSX games on the thing, it is awesome.

Also, obligatory: BUTTONS!
Hyuga
Banned
(08-06-2011, 12:51 PM)

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Hell yeah!
zomgbbqftw
Pay attention.
Yes.
DidntKnowJack
Banned
Hell yeah I am. I have a Droid, but I don't even play games on it. Angry Birds and the like hold no appeal for me.
klausbert
Yeah, i basically have the same thoughts about that as you.
Smartphones for smaller games, adventures and cave shmups
PSV for everything else

Posted from my Apple Iphone 4
Lagspike_exe
Smartphone games don't fulfill my gaming needs in the slightest. If Vita gets games I'm interested in, I'll get it. Angry Birds and other 0.99 games are not something I enjoy.
Muchi Muchi Pink
I own an android smartphone and my answer is: Yes. 3ds and PS Vita.
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
The game I play on my smartphone is Chess (online, FICS). Period.
Diablohead
(08-06-2011, 12:52 PM)
When something has a few killer games which I really want to play then I usually buy it, so no vita (or 3ds) right now, plus I own two ipod touches which I bought mostly for gaming and still enjoy them a lot, and my phone is an android but I don't really game on that at all.

Originally Posted by Lagspike_exe

Smartphone games don't fulfill my gaming needs in the slightest. If Vita gets games I'm interested in, I'll get it. Angry Birds and other 0.99 games are not something I enjoy.

There is more to iOS gaming then angry birds, real racing 2 is quite a game for a few quid and one of the best looking.
Risk Breaker
(08-06-2011, 12:52 PM)
Of course. Why not?
Ichor
(08-06-2011, 12:53 PM)
To add, I've owned every console for every gen except for missing out on Sega Saturn. I won't let that streak break.
Iadien
Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Most likely not. I'm personally sick of paying 40 bucks to play games on a tiny ass screen.
Prine
No, my phone is sufficient. I only play once every month. I simply cannot enjoy games reduced to a small screen.
Man
(08-06-2011, 12:55 PM)
Yups. Smartphone gaming does not fulfill any need with all the setbacks (controls and developer talent for one).
Last edited by Man; 08-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.
FJ0372
(08-06-2011, 12:55 PM)
Yep, However the results on this forum will be very biased considering we are gamers.
djplaeskool
Banned
(08-06-2011, 12:56 PM)
Day 1.
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
I have a smartphone and a tablet, I'll get a Vita day 1.

Originally Posted by Aeana

I'll get any hardware that has games I want to play on it.

Also this.
like a dragon
Banned
I don't game on my smartphone (shitty games + Low battery life Samsung Galaxy S 2) ) .
So yes i cant wait to get my hands on Vita.
Protocol7
(08-06-2011, 12:58 PM)
I will get it, maybe not at launch but yeah I really want one.
And personally I don't like playing on my phone, there are few exceptions of course, but I really don't like the lack of physical sticks/buttons... and another thing, I want to have my gaming screen free of fingers or whatever 100% of the time...
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(08-06-2011, 12:58 PM)
Nothing at launch looks appealing to me on the Vita. I may splurge if the details of Ridge Racer means that it is superior to RR2 on PSP.

I'm set on waiting 12-18 months till I bother with it.
Picobrain
(08-06-2011, 12:59 PM)
Will get, I need buttons.
zoukka
(08-06-2011, 01:00 PM)
Not likely. I think DS will be my last handheld, since Vita and 3DS seem to be doing everything wrong. And Vita price is insane (just like the 3DS was).
Septimus
I have an iPhone but I definitely want this for Sony's first-party games and that Falcom game too even though we know nothing about it yet.
Radec
Yes.

iOS/Android games for me are just for bathroom breaks.
Cygnus X-1
This is a key question.
get2sammyb
(08-06-2011, 01:01 PM)
Yes, I am purchasing one. Not only do the games announced appeal to me (see: avatar), but I'm also very excited about PSN integration.

I expect I'll carry the Vita around in my bag for long trips, but will probably get the most play-time before bed. I still play my PSP in bed.

Originally Posted by Iadien

Most likely not. I'm personally sick of paying 40 bucks to play games on a tiny ass screen.

Just a heads up: Vita will do much more than this. But I guess it's down to Sony to inform you of that, not me. Clearly the messaging hasn't got through to you yet though.
Labadal
(08-06-2011, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Iadien

Okay, I must admit I don't get this one.
DMeisterJ
D is for Dear, M is for Memorable, J is for JUST HUG ME YOU BIG GALOOT
Unless my smartphone grows a quad core processor and analog sticks and triggers, definitely getting the PSV.
Seth Balmore
Of course, I'll purchase one the moment I can afford it. Smartphone games and interfaces are nowhere near a substitute for current-gen handheld software and hardware in my opinion.
sixteen-bit
eventually
Grimmy
Banned
(08-06-2011, 01:03 PM)
Not day 1, but for sure I'm getting a Vita.
hertog
(08-06-2011, 01:04 PM)
I got an Iphone, I want to game a lot with it, but I hate the virtual pad.

Vita all the way!
Eccocid
(08-06-2011, 01:04 PM)
Nope i am waiting for new iPhone, probably it will do more than what Vita can do in terms of software. When i get a portable device now i don't judge or value it depending on JUST GAMES. Rest of the apps are important for me too.
I love spending times with those GPS apps on iPhone and camera apps and many other useless weird fun apps! It is not just games on my pocket anymore. I demand more than my portable device.
Ken
(08-06-2011, 01:05 PM)
I own an iPhone and iPad and really dislike playing games on it for long periods of time so I'll probably grab a Vita for Dragon's Crown and the eventual MonHun.
Ultima_5
Why are we getting so many doom and gloom threads about handhelds?
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
Yes, I don't want to miss out on games. There's a developer talent skew toward sony/nintendo handhelds.

If smart phones become a huge problem for sony and nitnendo, like if developers want to put a bunch of ports on smart phones this decade, they should easily be able to make a cell phone of their own where hand controls snap on or something.
Withnail
(08-06-2011, 01:06 PM)
There needs to be a massive improvement in battery technology before I will use my smartphone for gaming. I need the phone to last me all day more than I need to play games on it.

For that reason I am definitely interested in dedicated gaming portables, and Vita hardware looks extremely good. However whether I buy it or not will depend on the quality of the games.
get2sammyb

Originally Posted by Eccocid

Nope i am waiting for new iPhone, probably it will do more than what Vita can do in terms of software. When i get a portable device now i don't judge or value it depending on JUST GAMES. Rest of the apps are important for me too.
I love spending times with those GPS apps on iPhone and camera apps and many other useless weird fun apps! It is not just games on my pocket anymore. I demand more than my portable device.

Cool!
Y2Kev
The Dark Souls of Moderators
I buy whatever I need to play the games I want. So yes.
Chuck (Old)
Banned
Years down the road, after several price drops and a catalogue of games has been released.
Rolf NB
Yes. The lineup is looking good.