• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

3N16MA
(08-31-2011, 06:04 AM)
Personally I find it relaxing and soothing to hear crickets chirping at night. The rhythm to their chirping puts me to sleep faster, however crickets are always portrayed as annoying. There are a bunch of them outside my window right now and will continue chirping until sunrise.
Last edited by 3N16MA; 09-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Escape Goat
(08-31-2011, 06:04 AM)
cicadas are worse, especially when every damned one in the neighborhood is wailing at the same time.
spindashing
Ku Klux Kawaii
(08-31-2011, 06:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Teh Hamburglar

cicadas are worse, especially when every damned one in the neighborhood is wailing at the same time.

Crickets are fine.

Cicadas are assholes.
AceBandage
Banned
(08-31-2011, 06:10 AM)
I love the sounds of the night in the summer.
It's relaxing.
HiroProtagonist
(08-31-2011, 06:15 AM)
Crickets are fine - good even, its the owls during mating season that drive me crazy. It's like a fucking hoot orgy outside my window.
eternaLightness
(08-31-2011, 06:18 AM)
I love it. I'm sitting in the dark now and all I can hear are crickets chirping.
SteelAttack
Shit, I haven't heard a cricket (or a cicada, for that matter) in a long-ass time.
PigSpeakers
I don't hear them in Washington. I do hear something similar to this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFojjllBFOk

At night. And it is LOUD. For the longest time I thought they were birds. Parents told me they were spring peepers, but I don't think we have those in WA, so I'm assuming it's these frogs.

I remember when I was younger, sprinklers used to bother me a lot while I was trying to sleep. I would get sort of focused on the rhythm and listen to them, but there would be several at once so it would get annoying. And they're the same thing over and over again. Now I go to bed so late and have a room with a window facing the back of the house that I don't hear them anymore.
Alkimia
(08-31-2011, 06:23 AM)
In Florida we have crickets and cicadas, but they aren't nearly so loud as the FROGS

As soon as hurricane season starts and we get rain and thunder every day, they'll be really loud all night.
Zeliard
(08-31-2011, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by spindashing

Crickets are fine.

Cicadas are assholes.

This right here. I'm actually listening to crickets right now. It's soothing.

Cicadas, you can keep 'em.
Mordeccai
(08-31-2011, 06:27 AM)
At night time, fuck frogs, and fuck cicadas. They piss me off to no end, especially if theres pools of water outside. Froggy mate time is one of the most irritating sounds ever.

During the morning, I absolutely hate roosters and chickens. My hometown had issues with chickens running around rampant and the town did nothing about it, so every morning starting at 4 AM the roosters would crow until I left for school. It was a bad time in my life, one where I was constantly pissed because I woke up in a shit mood every day.
Evenball
(08-31-2011, 06:30 AM)

Originally Posted by PigSpeakers

I don't hear them in Washington. I do hear something similar to this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFojjllBFOk

At night. And it is LOUD. For the longest time I thought they were birds. Parents told me they were spring peepers, but I don't think we have those in WA, so I'm assuming it's these frogs.

I remember when I was younger, sprinklers used to bother me a lot while I was trying to sleep. I would get sort of focused on the rhythm and listen to them, but there would be several at once so it would get annoying. And they're the same thing over and over again. Now I go to bed so late and have a room with a window facing the back of the house that I don't hear them anymore.

I was gonna post this. I live in washinton too. on occasion I hear frogs at night going on like that.
mysticwhip
Banned
(08-31-2011, 06:32 AM)
I usually like it, but there are times when it creeps me out. For example, I was walking in this field late at night and the crickets sounded like they were 2 inches away from me and the sound was so powerful it just freaked me out a little.
3N16MA
(08-31-2011, 06:33 AM)

Originally Posted by mysticwhip

I usually like it, but there are times when it creeps me out. For example, I was walking in this field late at night and the crickets sounded like they were 2 inches away from me and the sound was so powerful it just freaked me out a little.

They probably were.
Immortal_Daemon
(08-31-2011, 06:34 AM)
Outside isn't too bad. It's kinda hypnotic.

When one of those fuckers gets inside your house, though, that's the absolute worst.
GodfatherX
hate the sound of crickets, and because i work a late shift i get both that and the annoying birds in the morning too
that1dude24
I like it until they get trapped or enter a confined space with you. They're loud as hell.
mysticwhip
Banned
(08-31-2011, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

They probably were.

teiresias
(08-31-2011, 06:36 AM)
The whole "cricket static" outside, ie. the background noise of all the crickets in the wild, is fine and relaxing to me, but having one lone cricket that's made its way into my place and in my bedroom and is hiding somewhere I can't find it that won't shut up is annoying.
Windam
(08-31-2011, 06:37 AM)
I don't mind it at all.
Alligatorjandro
MONEY UP, BITCH
(08-31-2011, 06:38 AM)
Fuck crickets and frogs and loud ass animals
FunkyPajamas
(08-31-2011, 06:41 AM)
Love them, love the sounds of nature. Birds go crazy around my place at about 4-5 in the morning, right before dawn. It's awesome.
Poyunch
(08-31-2011, 06:43 AM)
It's the sound I associate with night so I'm used to it. It just gets weird when you hear it in weird places or in the middle of the day. Like on the third floor bathroom of one of my university building. So weird.
mysticwhip
Banned

Originally Posted by FunkyPajamas

Love them, love the sounds of nature. Birds go crazy around my place at about 4-5 in the morning, right before dawn. It's awesome.

Do you like the soundd oof dogs and cats having sex(not with each other)? because I don't because that shit is annoying. Fuck the sounds of nature.
Peagles

Originally Posted by Teh Hamburglar

The worst ones are the high pitched ones that my parents can't hear and made me think I was going crazy.
toohectic
(08-31-2011, 06:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Immortal_Daemon

When one of those fuckers gets inside your house, though, that's the absolute worst.

This! When they are in your house, they are so damn annoying! Lovely outside, annoying inside. One time I had one inside my wall, directly behind my bed pillow. It chirped extra loud all night, every night for two weeks; drove me insane.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(08-31-2011, 06:59 AM)
I miss living near sounds like this all I get are seagulls early in the morning around here
vilmer_
(08-31-2011, 07:02 AM)
I love the sound of crickets on a late summer night. They seemed to have disappeared the last few days though :/
Gramercy.1
(08-31-2011, 07:17 AM)
The more you know

Although the practicality of this may not be that high, it's still useful to know or a cool fact to tell some one.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(08-31-2011, 08:09 AM)
love it...as long as they stay over there, away from me.
Foob
(08-31-2011, 08:11 AM)
fucking love hearing the frogs at night LOVE IT
Nemesis121
(08-31-2011, 08:58 AM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I love the sounds of the night in the summer.
It's relaxing.

/thread.
OfWhiteSkinOnRedLeather
(08-31-2011, 09:03 AM)
Crickets are awesome.

Chicharras are even fucking cooler.

Frogs too.

Crickets are only annoying when there's one in your house.
Last edited by OfWhiteSkinOnRedLeather; 08-31-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Recarpo
(08-31-2011, 09:10 AM)
Hate them and can't sleep if they're chirping. Even worse when there's a cricket in my house and I can't find where the little bastard is.
SteveWinwood
Banned
(08-31-2011, 09:14 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1It3AlXmQ
This all night. I love it.
Agnostic
but believes in Chael
(08-31-2011, 09:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Alkimia

In Florida we have crickets and cicadas, but they aren't nearly so loud as the FROGS

LOL. I lived next to a lake for about 5 years. Never again!