• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(04-15-2012, 10:15 PM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thrakier

Oh my god, that looks so much better it's not even funny. And it really shows off what is wrong with the current artstyle. :( I really do hope this mod is compatible with the final and you can play online with it (cheating and so...)... :/

None of the settings look any better to me, just different.

If I were Blizzard I'd just ship a pair of cheap sunglasses in the box, label them "Retro Diablo Lenses".
nacire
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:16 PM)
nacire's Avatar

Originally Posted by TylerD

You can mark me down for the full clear style of play as well. Everything must die and most every interactive object should be destroyed. :)

Hear, hear!
QP3
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:18 PM)
QP3's Avatar
Anyone playing this on a Mac? is there a consensus on how it will run on a newer (late 2011 here) macbook?
kirblar
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:26 PM)
kirblar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Uh... this looks absolutely terrible. Why would someone even download this?

Yeah, I like the vibrant colors too.
Gvaz
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:39 PM)
Gvaz's Avatar

Originally Posted by 99%

Has anyone here in Beta tried out this mod that make D3 "darker"? Im wondering how safe it is. I'm not even sure I'd like to make it darker at this point. So used to the painting like graphics.

http://darkd3.com/

The game needs to have way more light, and more vibrant colors, not duller, more muted ones.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-15-2012, 10:41 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by slayzz

it looks better imo.

Make sure you not comparing hardcore or whatever with sharpness on to normal with sharpness off because pressing effect off turns sharpness off as well.
Last edited by C.Dark.DN; 04-15-2012 at 10:49 PM.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:48 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by QP3

Anyone playing this on a Mac? is there a consensus on how it will run on a newer (late 2011 here) macbook?

You need to tell us more than that. But as long as you have a discrete (read: not Intel HD) graphics card, you'll almost certainly be fine. Even if you don't, it will still probably play, just not super well.

Mac client is fucked in the beta though - pretty much unplayable, so I can't give an estimate on how it will be in the retail release. It should be fixed by launch, but if not, it's fine via Bootcamp. I do hope we see a beta patch that addresses the issue(s) though, as the current state of the Mac client does not exactly instill confidence.
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:51 PM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woo-Fu

None of the settings look any better to me, just different.

If I were Blizzard I'd just ship a pair of cheap sunglasses in the box, label them "Retro Diablo Lenses".

This. Diablo 3 looks fine. I can't imagine anyone being so turned off by D3's look that they won't buy the game: D2 is amazing, it's a classic, but it was a low-res mess when it was released, to say nothing of how it looks now, even at 800x600.

The original Diablo is actually a more significant departure in terms of art style, but I have no idea why people who played D2 for a thousand hours are up in arms about D3's look.
QP3
Member
(04-15-2012, 10:54 PM)
QP3's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

You need to tell us more than that. But as long as you have a discrete (read: not Intel HD) graphics card, you'll almost certainly be fine. Even if you don't, it will still probably play, just not super well.

Mac client is fucked in the beta though - pretty much unplayable, so I can't give an estimate on how it will be in the retail release. It should be fixed by launch, but if not, it's fine via Bootcamp. I do hope we see a beta patch that addresses the issue(s) though, as the current state of the Mac client does not exactly instill confidence.

OK, sorry for lack of info. I have a Macbook pro running lions. However, my graphics card is intel HD 3000. does this mean tough luck for me?

sorry for my lack of knowledge with computers, i am a console gamer who would really like to play D3
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-15-2012, 10:55 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
Sharpness on + none looks better, just because most people like the higher resolution feel. It makes a lot of textures more detailed. But making it darker does no improvement.

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

You need to tell us more than that. But as long as you have a discrete (read: not Intel HD) graphics card, you'll almost certainly be fine. Even if you don't, it will still probably play, just not super well.

Mac client is fucked in the beta though - pretty much unplayable, so I can't give an estimate on how it will be in the retail release. It should be fixed by launch, but if not, it's fine via Bootcamp. I do hope we see a beta patch that addresses the issue(s) though, as the current state of the Mac client does not exactly instill confidence.

Man, I can actually run it on a single core, lol. (It lags in multiplayer however) Most games that have dual core as the minimum requirements wont let the game load.
Last edited by C.Dark.DN; 04-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-15-2012, 11:05 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by QP3

OK, sorry for lack of info. I have a Macbook pro running lions. However, my graphics card is intel HD 3000. does this mean tough luck for me?

sorry for my lack of knowledge with computers, i am a console gamer who would really like to play D3

I'm going to have to have a FAQ section in the OP with how often this question (Can my XXX run it?) gets posted. It will be the first question there!

From the other day with a similar situation:

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

Originally Posted by The_Monk

Thanks a lot for the great answer and info, yeah my laptop is a MacBook Pro from mid 2011 I believe:

- 2.3 Ghz i5
- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD 3000

So I believe to be out of luck... Shame that the Mac version got those problems, I hope they can fix that even if I'm not going to be able to play the game.

I was checking for you quickly, here are some responses I found in regards to the HD3000 playing D3 (your other specs are fine):

On the Macbook Air i7 with Intel HD 3000, I managed to get 25-30 FPS on med-high.

You CAN use HD3000 to play Diablo 3, but you will need to decrease resolution and details. Anyway, the gaming experience is a complete failure with it. Consider getting a cheap dedicated video board.

Intel HD 3000 is on the low-mid range, wich is the same consumer range as the minimum spec video cards you mentioned. You should notice however that your card has a bit lower 3DMark (which is a benchmarking tool, by the way) scores than those mentioned. For example, the GeForce 7800 has around 12% in 3DMark 05 and your card has 20%, even though it has lesser scores in 3DMark 03 and 3DMark 06 for example. You probably will have to sacrifice in the video settings to play the game decently but I would guess it's playable.

For comparison, I have a Radeon HD 6570 (which is midrange) with a 46% 3DMark 05 and running Diablo 3 (with Mooege) on maximum settings can crawl a lot when a lot of ragdoll mob physics are ocurring on screen. So expect to make sacrifices in the graphics department but I think you should be able to play D3.

These are taken out of context, but they all relate. In short, you can probably run Diablo 3, but you will probably have to make graphical sacrifices, possibly even resolution sacrifices (lower than your screen's native res) to get it to work. Even then, there still may be FPS drops at times.

Last edited by CarbonatedFalcon; 04-15-2012 at 11:10 PM.
QP3
Member
(04-15-2012, 11:09 PM)
QP3's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

From the other day with a similar situation:

OK, thanks a lot for that. Graphics to me are not all that important (I have a macbook after all) the gameplay, story, character customization are the important issues for me. As long as I can play it at decent rates I will be happy. thanks again.
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(04-15-2012, 11:11 PM)
Yoshichan's Avatar
I remember upgrading my computer when Diablo 3 was announced June 2008...

Damn.
Corky
Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
(04-15-2012, 11:15 PM)
Corky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

I remember upgrading my computer when Diablo 3 was announced June 2008...

Damn.

I remember when there was a GAF outcry over the fact that the game wasn't coming until the far distant future of 2010.

" 2010!? "


...
SSJChar
Member
(04-15-2012, 11:34 PM)
haha yes, i remember thinking "wow, d3 is coming out soon. i need to get myself a new rig", only to just get myself a new rig. good thing i'm lazy!
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(04-15-2012, 11:46 PM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar
Fuck, was it really announced four years ago? It's especially depressing because my concept of the passage of time gets worse and worse as I get older and I would have guessed it was about two years ago.
FieryBalrog
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:01 AM)
FieryBalrog's Avatar
I remember when they announced it and said, "we've learned our lesson about announcing things too early, so now we try to announce the game when it's close to getting finished."
nacire
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:36 AM)
nacire's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

Sharpness on + none looks better, just because most people like the higher resolution feel. It makes a lot of textures more detailed. But making it darker does no improvement.



Man, I can actually run it on a single core, lol. (It lags in multiplayer however) Most games that have dual core as the minimum requirements wont let the game load.

I agree. I really like the way Diablo 3 looks graphically, but I can't lie, sharpening things up just a tad makes the textures really pop. I'll be curious how that translates when the game is actually in motion though.
TylerD
Member
(04-16-2012, 01:02 AM)
TylerD's Avatar
Blizzard blue post regarding the lack of optimization in the beta. Hopefully this also applies to you Mac users as well.

Originally Posted by Kaltonis

Bear in mind that the beta has its own FPS issues simply because it's a beta; Diablo III won't be optimized until release. My custom-built gaming system can't play the beta smoothly either, but it will be fine on release. Blizzard betas are genuine betas, unlike the glorified demos that some companies refer to as a "beta".

Sauce

Maybe I will be able to run it much more smoothly with ambient occlusion quality enabled.
spirity
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:22 AM)
spirity's Avatar

Originally Posted by 99%

Has anyone here in Beta tried out this mod that make D3 "darker"? Im wondering how safe it is. I'm not even sure I'd like to make it darker at this point. So used to the painting like graphics.

http://darkd3.com/

I quite like the "stronger" setting.

Whats the sharpness setting about though. The difference between on and off is night and day. I'm not in the beta, but does it look like how its depicted in that link, with sharpness off? Because sharpness off looks absolutely atrocious.
Valnen
Banned
(04-16-2012, 03:05 AM)
Valnen's Avatar
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...6486?page=1#15

This is pretty good news. Blizzard is still claiming the release build has a lot more optimization than the build we're playing. This is also a pretty entertaining thread overall...people with bad computers complaining they can't run the game at all when they're far below minimum specs and demanding that Blizzard change the game for them. Hilarious.
Last edited by Valnen; 04-16-2012 at 03:15 AM.
theinfinityissue
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:07 AM)
I'm still on the outside looking in, but I think instead of WD off the bat I'm going with a Wizard. If using that frozen beam is half as fun as it looks, I think I've found my class.

For multi targets, I'm thinking spectral weapon. How well does that work in practice, and is its dps based off of your equipped weapon?
Zek
Contempt For Challenge
(04-16-2012, 03:09 AM)
Zek's Avatar

Originally Posted by theinfinityissue

I'm still on the outside looking in, but I think instead of WD off the bat I'm going with a Wizard. If using that frozen beam is half as fun as it looks, I think I've found my class.

For multi targets, I'm thinking spectral weapon. How well does that work in practice, and is its dps based off of your equipped weapon?

All abilities get their damage from your equipped weapon.
theinfinityissue
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Zek

All abilities get their damage from your equipped weapon.

Oh. Wow. That is actually really really interesting. That certainly makes caster loot more appealing.
iamblades
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:21 AM)
iamblades's Avatar

Originally Posted by theinfinityissue

I'm still on the outside looking in, but I think instead of WD off the bat I'm going with a Wizard. If using that frozen beam is half as fun as it looks, I think I've found my class.

For multi targets, I'm thinking spectral weapon. How well does that work in practice, and is its dps based off of your equipped weapon?

That's how all the spells are..

I don't think the ice laser is the best synergy with spectral weapon though, I use frost nova and arcane orb or arcane torrent with spectral weapon and wave of force for emergencies when i'm getting swarmed. When using spectral weapon as your primary, you can get a bit crowded, and it's hard to use ray of frost in close like that. Ray of frost is better for a kiting build based around magic missile imo,,

Things will change lots with higher level runes though, so who knows..
Calidor
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:39 AM)
Calidor's Avatar

Originally Posted by QP3

OK, sorry for lack of info. I have a Macbook pro running lions. However, my graphics card is intel HD 3000. does this mean tough luck for me?

sorry for my lack of knowledge with computers, i am a console gamer who would really like to play D3

I have a Lenovo with a intel HD 3000, i5-2520M and 4GB Ram. Can run the game just fine @ 30 fps

at low settings, still looks good though

edit: I just noticed that we are less than a month away!!
Last edited by Calidor; 04-16-2012 at 03:54 AM.
IceMarker
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:47 AM)
IceMarker's Avatar
IceMarker
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:52 AM)
IceMarker's Avatar

Originally Posted by 99%

Has anyone here in Beta tried out this mod that make D3 "darker"? Im wondering how safe it is. I'm not even sure I'd like to make it darker at this point. So used to the painting like graphics.

http://darkd3.com/

It's not a mod, it's just a D3D shader setting, Blizzard wouldn't ban for that on Diablo 3. That being said I'm not a fan, except for the Sharper setting.
ShaneB
Member
(04-16-2012, 04:23 AM)
ShaneB's Avatar
Good to finally see some talk about final release optimization compared to the beta. My laptop handles the beta fairly well, but it's good to hear it'll be even better come release.

Also, that battletag list is getting huge. Is there a limit to friends list? Would be nice if it's no problem to simply add everyone.
Xdrive05
Member
(04-16-2012, 04:46 AM)
Xdrive05's Avatar
Quick question about screen resolution and 16:10 monitors,

Is there an option to run your 16:10 in letterbox so you'll get the full 16:9 fov? In other words, will the game "letterbox" your 16:10 native resolution to use the 16:9 aspect ratio (with black bars on top and bottom)?

I ask because, with most games, if I run a 16:9 res, my monitor will "stretch" that res to fit my 16:10 screen, instead of letterboxing it. But some games will let you run your 16:10 res in a letterbox so that you'll get the intended wide/horizontal fov (a'la, Witcher 2 at launch).

Thanks in advance.
cramcakes
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Xdrive05

Quick question about screen resolution and 16:10 monitors,

Is there an option to run your 16:10 in letterbox so you'll get the full 16:9 fov? In other words, will the game "letterbox" your 16:10 native resolution to use the 16:9 aspect ratio (with black bars on top and bottom)?

I ask because, with most games, if I run a 16:9 res, my monitor will "stretch" that res to fit my 16:10 screen, instead of letterboxing it. But some games will let you run your 16:10 res in a letterbox so that you'll get the intended wide/horizontal fov (a'la, Witcher 2 at launch).

Thanks in advance.

There is a letterbox option.

http://i.imgur.com/tKMwI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eimRG.jpg
Tripwood
Junior Member
(04-16-2012, 09:20 AM)
Tripwood's Avatar
Monk Spotlight Video - IGN
Monk Spotlight Video - YouTube

IGN has the new spotlight video up.

Killing doesn't look as spectacular as when the Barb does it (distinct lack of explosions of blood and gore) but still it's my go to class for the first playthrough.
Last edited by Tripwood; 04-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.
ertitoagus
Junior Member
(04-16-2012, 09:42 AM)
ertitoagus's Avatar
is there any gold amount cap in D3?
Morokh
Member
(04-16-2012, 11:44 AM)
Morokh's Avatar
Do we know if Hardcore mode will be available from start ? or do we have to unlock it ?
Twinduct
Member
(04-16-2012, 11:57 AM)
Twinduct's Avatar
Looking to do the co-op cheevos tonight (err in 5-6 hours I mean).
Slightly laggy (yellow bar). Add me Twinduct#2555.

Timezone: GMT +2
kyubajin
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:12 PM)
kyubajin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morokh

Do we know if Hardcore mode will be available from start ? or do we have to unlock it ?

Unlock after beating the game on Normal once.
maharg
idspispopd
(04-16-2012, 12:19 PM)
maharg's Avatar

Originally Posted by kyubajin

Unlock after beating the game on Normal once.

Didn't they change it to get to level 10?
kyubajin
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:25 PM)
kyubajin's Avatar

Originally Posted by maharg

Didn't they change it to get to level 10?

Only in the beta for testing.
aechris
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:27 PM)
aechris's Avatar
nm
FtHTiny
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:40 PM)
FtHTiny's Avatar

Originally Posted by kyubajin

Only in the beta for testing.

it should be in the retail game aswell. One lvl 10 char should enable you for hc.
Raide
Member
(04-16-2012, 12:44 PM)
Raide's Avatar

Originally Posted by FtHTiny

it should be in the retail game aswell. One lvl 10 char should enable you for hc.

I think people should have to work for Hardcore unlock. Finishing the game on Normal difficulty should not take that long for gamers who know what HC means. The average gamer that cannot even finish on Normal has no need for HC.
kyubajin
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:29 PM)
kyubajin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raide

I think people should have to work for Hardcore unlock. Finishing the game on Normal difficulty should not take that long for gamers who know what HC means. The average gamer that cannot even finish on Normal has no need for HC.

I was going to "like" your comment when I suddenly realised there's no such function on these forums :D
Twinduct
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:34 PM)
Twinduct's Avatar
So any official mention on if finishing cheevments in the beta unlocks anything in the retail version? aka is there any benefit to getting all the beta cheevos?
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:51 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twinduct

So any official mention on if finishing cheevments in the beta unlocks anything in the retail version? aka is there any benefit to getting all the beta cheevos?

No. Beta achievements won't have any effect on retail.

Originally Posted by FtHTiny

it should be in the retail game aswell. One lvl 10 char should enable you for hc.

This. I'll edit in the blue post if I can find it.

Originally Posted by Tripwood

Monk Spotlight Video - IGN
Monk Spotlight Video - YouTube

IGN has the new spotlight video up.

Killing doesn't look as spectacular as when the Barb does it (distinct lack of explosions of blood and gore) but still it's my go to class for the first playthrough.

This video is a bit lame compared to the other 2 we've seen so far, though I also don't like the Monk very much, so it may just be my bias. But it feels like they didn't really show off any new skills or anything unlike the other videos.
nacire
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:56 PM)
nacire's Avatar
Yeah, the in game footage didn't always seem to go with the narrative in some places.
FtHTiny
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:02 PM)
FtHTiny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raide

I think people should have to work for Hardcore unlock. Finishing the game on Normal difficulty should not take that long for gamers who know what HC means. The average gamer that cannot even finish on Normal has no need for HC.

Ehm, that wasn´t my opinion on the hc matter. I meant that i think it was jay wilson that confirmed that a lvl 10 char in retail will unlock hc.

My first char willn´t be hc so it doesn´t really matter for me anyways.
Twinduct
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:06 PM)
Twinduct's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

No. Beta achievements won't have any effect on retail.

Great thanks, no need to worry about the co-op cheevos then.

On another topic; it seems the latest patch fixed most of my micro stuttering/ rubber banding. Playing at a constant 380 ping, but not noticing the latency at all.

Really glad I got into the beta and had some time preparing my environment. All interest I had with the game got shut down when it was announced it would have to have a constant connection (to send and receive data from a data server ala mmo). It still sucks imho, I mean having to combine a tunnelling service (battleping), have my ADSL line's connection speed moved down (to get a higher SNR), using an unshaped premium account to connect to my ISP.

But the game is fun .. really fun and almost worth all the blood and tears it caused me.
Gonna put down my pre-order soon.
Gvaz
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:15 PM)
Gvaz's Avatar
So the retail will have an offline feature, can I take my offline dude online?
FrontalMonk
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:19 PM)
FrontalMonk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gvaz

So the retail will have an offline feature, can I take my offline dude online?

Somebody missed the controversy. Unless you have a source to back that "offline feature" up. >_>
Twinduct
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:31 PM)
Twinduct's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gvaz

So the retail will have an offline feature, can I take my offline dude online?

Where was this mentioned?

Thread Tools