• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And he lives right around my corner!
are you shitting me?! Oh my, I'm so jealous right now. Me and him had great couple of hours in Dreamhack Summer! I wish I would live next to him :(

profit

are you shitting me?! Oh my, I'm so jealous right now. Me and him had great couple of hours in Dreamhack Summer! I wish I would live next to him :(

Yeah, a year or so ago me and a friend were walking through our streets when we bumped into some guy. Then we realized it was Athene and all of a sudden we recognized the streets they sometimes film in. Was a weird experience, nice guy.

aznpxdd

Hm, how come battle.net won't let me pre-purchase the game? I'm at the game page right now and both the "submit" button for birthday and "pre-purchase" button are grey'd out for me. :(

I'm in China BTW. I thought the digital release is global?

suzu

I take it you have to post to Facebook to get those sigils? I really need to create a dummy FB account.

No, you don't have to do anything with FB. When you fill out your nickname and bnet email you can just click Finish or something like that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I take it you have to post to Facebook to get those sigils? I really need to create a dummy FB account.

NO, you don't. You just need to enter the email addy associated with your battle net acct.

Myqre.png

Link

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, is that like a part of the actual behind the scenes you get when you buy the Collector's Edition?

Yoshichan

Wow, just watched it. The D3/2-music gave me goosebumps.

Oh and Metzen :/...

T.O.P

Banned
Hm, how come battle.net won't let me pre-purchase the game? I'm at the game page right now and both the "submit" button for birthday and "pre-purchase" button are grey'd out for me. :(

I'm in China BTW. I thought the digital release is global?

It is

Diablo III is a global game. Players can choose to play on game servers based in the Americas, Europe, or Asia, regardless of what region they are connecting from. Certain restrictions apply. Further details will be posted on the Diablo III Community Site prior to release.

no luck looking in the community actually, try the support service on Battle.net, only way :x

Xdrive05

Diablo peeps, what should my *party* class be for a third hero, between demon hunter or witch doctor? Rest of the party is a monk and a wizard OR a monk and a barb, depend on what buddy #2 decides on.

I'm leaning toward DH because I figure WD would be a better solo anyway. Thanks for your suggestions.

zlatko

Banned
Glad GAF is finally back up. Work sucks without this site.

Questions for you Diablo heads.

1) Is there a short video I can watch to fill me in on D1 and D2 story?
- Follow up question with this is, will D3 have a fill in intro video for D1/D2, like starcraft 2 did during installation?

2) Do most of you plan to play the game with a SP run through first? Or do you all still roll co-op even your first time? My issue in the beta with co-op is no one would stop to soak in what NPCs say, journals had written, cut scenes skipped, etc. I'll be going solo through it all on normal my first go to soak in the story.

Just curious how others plan to roll.

I pre-purchased Diablo 3 from battle.net.

There's a problem though: when it finishes downloading the client (about 8GB), I try to open the setup, but it gives me an error message. Something about it being damaged. I'm on a Mac (Snow Leopard). Any help?

stabwound

Neo Member
Question for people that bought the digital pre-order from battlenet: is it correct that my details say "Region: Global"? I was screwing around with region settings/preferences due to having issues installing the beta and I'm worried I accidentally got myself a European key or something.

I'm in North America btw.

Not sure if anyone knows this but I was looking at the item section and noticed there wasn't a legendary item for every tier like there was in diablo 2. I'm hoping they just don't have all the items up yet, does anyone know?

Kalnos

Banned
1) Is there a short video I can watch to fill me in on D1 and D2 story?
- Follow up question with this is, will D3 have a fill in intro video for D1/D2, like starcraft 2 did during installation?

ZealousD made these videos which basically cover everything from D1 and D2.

I'm not sure about question 2, but I'm sure the launcher from the CD will have something.

2) Do most of you plan to play the game with a SP run through first? Or do you all still roll co-op even your first time? My issue in the beta with co-op is no one would stop to soak in what NPCs say, journals had written, cut scenes skipped, etc. I'll be going solo through it all on normal my first go to soak in the story.

Just curious how others plan to roll.

I will be playing through with my girlfriend who spent more time with D2 than I did, so stopping to read/watch story stuff shouldn't be a problem. I have to admit, after SC2 I don't have great expectations for the story, but I can hope.

Naito

Question for people that bought the digital pre-order from battlenet: is it correct that my details say "Region: Global"? I was screwing around with region settings/preferences due to having issues installing the beta and I'm worried I accidentally got myself a European key or something.

I'm in North America btw.

I too bought the digital pre-order and have Region: Global.
Wouldn't worry about it, you can set your region in the game options afaik.

forrest

formerly nacire
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet but Athene and Kripparrian (both are fairly well known gamers for world/server firsts in WoW) put up a video discussing their goals and tactics for achieving world firsts in D3. I believe it's been said there are no such achievements listed in-game; so this is purely e-peen contesting. It is interesting to see discussion of the meta-game and how they plan to accomplish their goals though (however the discussion is vague).

Video + Summary

Being a fellow hunter in WoW, I gotta root for Kripp. The guy is methodical and beastly when it comes to achieving his goals. Will be interesting to see how the two advance head to head.

ZealousD made these videos which basically cover everything from D1 and D2.

I'm not sure about question 2, but I'm sure the launcher from the CD will have something.

I will be playing through with my girlfriend who spent more time with D2 than I did, so stopping to read/watch story stuff shouldn't be a problem. I have to admit, after SC2 I don't have great expectations for the story, but I can hope.

My hope is that D3 is much more of a thematically driven franchise than character driven (like Starcraft is). The main problem with SC2 is all the characters turned to crap. Blizzard doesn't do characters well at all.

The thematic stuff they do a little better, and that's what D2 was anyway, it barely had any characters (Marius, who isn't even that fleshed out; and, uh, no one else). The plot wasn't that amazing either (Dark Wanderer walks around waking up fellow demons?).

zlatko

Banned
I wanted to say something similar most of the day today, but NeoGAF wouldn't let me. :(

Without GAF, the world is a cold place.

Those 11.5 sleeps will be great once they are over with.

Thanks for the story links. I'll watch those later tonight at home when I get time. I'm getting digital version though... still hope you get the story recaps ala SC2 install if they do it even with a digital copy, or at least someone puts them online to YT.

My hope is that D3 is much more of a thematically driven franchise than character driven (like Starcraft is). The main problem with SC2 is all the characters turned to crap. Blizzard doesn't do characters well at all.

The thematic stuff they do a little better, and that's what D2 was anyway, it barely had any characters (Marius, who isn't even that fleshed out; and, uh, no one else). The plot wasn't that amazing either (Dark Wanderer walks around waking up fellow demons?).

To be fair, D2 brought us Dark Wanderer, Marius, Tal Rasha, Tyrael, Mephisto, and Baal, and that's not including the *really* bit players like Warriv. None of them were all that fleshed out, but they all had personality, albeit all one dimensional personality.

I think this game is going to be much more focused on Leah, Tyrael, Azmodan, and maybe one other character.

speculation on Deckard Cain's role in the story (spoiler tags just in case, just piecing together what we already know from video footage):
I think Deckard Cain probably dies pretty quickly into the game, maybe by the end of Act 1, maybe a little later, maybe at the hands of an angel to show that the High Heavens don't actually give two shits about the mortals on Sanctuary. In the Black Soulstone video, Leah is poring over Cain's book asking what her uncle was looking for, what she was supposed to see, which leads me to believe he's at LEAST missing/captured, but more likely dead.

HenryHSH

Updated my bootleg version of the battletag list.

To MrMr, just download as excel file and update yours with my charts if you want.
Classes will auto update but if a new word (Country/Continent) that wasn't there before is added to the Region, you will have to link it to a Continent for it to count. Formulas are very basic and are under their charts.

IceMarker

Updated my bootleg version of the battletag list.

To MrMr, just download as excel file and update yours with my charts if you want.
Classes will auto update but if a new word (Country/Continent) that wasn't there before is added to the Region, you will have to link it to a Continent for it to count. Formulas are very basic and are under their charts.
Just to let you guys know I'll be giving a select few access to updating the values of the official unofficial btag list very soon. CarbonFalcon being one of the people!

Oh and I'll be making/releasing an infographic based on data from the list on May 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom