• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Put me down for "run through the game without watching any cutscenes or doing any non-essential quests"

I plan to play from midnight PDT to at least noon (so probably 8 hours or so) on the first day, depending on server stability. Probably a Demon Hunter unless my mind gets changed before then.

Inferno is going to ruin marriages

I hate to sound like a downer on this but I hope there is more to inferno than super exponential growth of attack/hp. That sounds more like an artificial gear difficulty.

Though that will no doubt make the game harder as promised!

Couldn't mobs have better AI/work together better to kill the players?

Kalnos

Banned
I hate to sound like a downer on this but I hope there is more to inferno than super exponential growth of attack/hp. That sounds more like an artificial gear difficulty.

Though it will no doubt make the game harder as promised!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
WTF ?

Some mob stats :
Code:
Skeleton King
Normal: Lv.8, 1800HP
Nightmare: Lv.33, 123,250HP
Hell: Lv.52, 2,471,100HP
Inferno: Lv.61, 15,717,300HP :D

There's also a section with a couple of normal monsters. Here's a sample stats of one:

Armaddon (appears in act IV)
Normal: lv.29, 1200-1700hp damage per hit: 443
Nightmare: lv.49, 12k-17k hp damage per hit: 3445
Hell: lv.60, 54k-76k HP damage per hit: 14k
Inferno: lv.63, 306-428k HP damage per hit: 170k (!) :D
That's a lot of scaling. Should be fun.
Is that a typo? 14k on hell to 170k on inferno? that's over 10x the damage!
I figure you are going to be stacking massive evasion/defense to have like 85% damage reduction + MAX BLOCK or something?

Added mob modifiers, increased speed and agressiveness in the ai, new spells and abilities all on top of the stat gains so yeah, its going to be very very hard

170,000 damage per hit from a normal mob?

Holy shit, I can't even imagine what the player's health/armor values must be like at that level.

That's a lot of scaling. Should be fun.

I figure you are going to be stacking massive evasion/defense to have like 85% damage reduction + MAX BLOCK or something?

maybe. I mean, it just looks on paper like the sort of thing that would one shot you consistently, and this is just some regular monster. I wouldn't have balked quite as much if not for the fact that the monster in hell is already level 60, which makes it sound like the sort of thing you would fight when you're either at max level or really close to it. Best hope the armor in Inferno is up to par.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Up to 4 attributes on rare mobs is a big one.

Also seems like things swarm you faster/smarter or target you in different manners, add more ranged things, etc.

I'm wondering if Inferno won't just be pure damage + slow and never getting hit.

And all of them canon and written decently?

They are canon as far as I know and they were written pretty well back when I read them. It was quite some time ago so who knows how much other people would enjoy them lol. The first book Legacy of Blood was my favorite book for quite some time though.

injurai

Banned
So if SK hits for 170k, think of Diablo hitting for 8000k

things are going to get crazy. I think adding inferno was one of Blizzard's best decisions.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
And this is why it was a great choice to have online only.

And encrypted... so there is no leaks until 15.

On 16 when i go to work, i will avoid all D3 sites/threads until i beat the game.

KKRT00

170000 * 0.15 = 25500
Then add block chance and and stacked evasion. Doesn't seem so bad.
I mean in Act 1 Normal my Monk had 30% evasion and 60% with the active 3s aura.

How is that not bad? In Witch Doctor spotlight You have lvl 60 character with crappy gear with 461 Vitality, if Vitality wont give like 100 hp per point, but less than 50 You basically look at max 50-60k health, so it means that You will die in 2-3 hits for common monster.
One hit deaths is the worst design in this genre and they are actually making it something common for Inferno.

Raide

AHHHHH, Fresh Meat. People moaning about the Beta being easy are going to be crying themselves to sleep once Nightmare and above kicks in. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AHHHHH, Fresh Meat. People moaning about the Beta being easy are going to be crying themselves to sleep once Nightmare and above kicks in. :D
Yup.
Even the Fields of Misery hidden area had some surprises on Normal and mobs that hit for 50% of your HP.

How is that not bad? In Witch Doctor spotlight You have lvl 60 character with crappy gear with 461 Vitality, if Vitality wont give like 100 hp per point, but less than 50 You basically look at max 50-60k health, so it means that You will die in 2-3 hits for common monster.
One hit deaths is the worst design in this genre and they are actually making it something common for Inferno.

I assume it is because gear will start getting damage reduction stats like in d2. You could get up to 75% DR i believe in diablo 2 if you stacked it which would then make that huge damage bearable all the while forcing players to actually pay attention and react to whats going on.

Seems awesome so far to me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God, I am hyping a bunch of people now with the inferno stats.

Raide

I assume it is because gear will start getting damage reduction stats like in d2. You could get up to 75% DR i believe in diablo 2 if you stacked it which would then make that huge damage bearable all the while forcing players to actually pay attention and react to whats going on.

Throw in resistances as well and I am sure those crazy numbers won't be hitting that hard. I am still sure you will get punished for making stupid mistakes but what else do people expect from Hell and Inferno. :D

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
eCkWQ.jpg

U3IaY.jpg

j7iDr.jpg

E0tEF.jpg

KKRT00

Throw in resistances as well and I am sure those crazy numbers won't be hitting that hard. I am still sure you will get punished for making stupid mistakes but what else do people expect from Hell and Inferno. :D

Yeah, but we are already talking about damage reduced by resistances and armor.

Raide

Yeah, but we are already talking about damage reduced by resistances and armor.

Hrmmm... I really don't see Blizzard making monsters than can one-shot people. If they are badly geared, then I can understand but just getting into Hell will be a major challenge for most new players. Inferno will be a true test of your gear and abilities. We are already dead...

winnarps

Well, if you look at the value differences between Act 4 Hell and then the Act 1 Inferno, you've still got a sense of flow to the progression in difficulty.

So it doesn't seem like you'll finish Hell and then get a huge slap in the face.

Kalnos

Banned
If certain mobs one-shot people Blizzard will definitely patch them quickly. Unless maybe it's something painfully slow and easy to avoid but even then there's no point in really worrying about it until it happens, which I'm guessing it won't.

Sothpaw

Oh and you forgot to consider evasion.

KKRT00

Hrmmm... I really don't see Blizzard making monsters than can one-shot people. If they are badly geared, then I can understand but just getting into Hell will be a major challenge for most new players. Inferno will be a true test of your gear and abilities. We are already dead...

There are 3 paths they can go with those numbers:
- Hell is super easy
- Inferno mobs one hit You
- Inferno equipment gives You 5x more stats than Hell's ones

Any of those is good design, because if its easy, its boring, if its overpowered its frustating or if it is overscaled in Inferno, its fun at the beginning [ultra challenging], but then You are basically god in Hell with new equipment.

Imho Inferno should have 2-4 times stronger mobs, 30-50% better equipment stats and more focus on monsters abilities to make combat more skill based and strategic.

Oh and you forgot to consider evasion.

Evasion is hit or miss, right? So if they'll hit You, You will die. Its minimum damage from one monster, when You will have 15-20 of them, You will dodge maybe 70%, so 30% [4-6] will hit You for sure = You're dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom