• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

What's the most obvious difference?

Production. You simply can't compare what a small team can do in a couple of years, versus the Blizzard machine for 5+ years of development and fine-tuning. D3 will simply have more content, perform better (bugs and exploits wise), be more balanced, feature rich, etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Production. You simply can't compare what a small team can do in a couple of years, versus the Blizzard machine for 5+ years of development and fine-tuning. D3 will simply have more content, perform better (bugs and exploits wise), be more balanced, feature rich, etc.

Torchlight is moddable, so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Kalnos

Banned
The main differences between Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2:

Production Quality. Diablo 3 will obviously be of a higher quality due to the nature of the company making it.

Closed vs Open System. Diablo 3 will have far less cheaters and a stronger online community but that comes at the price of having no offline single-player and no mods.

inky

Torchlight is moddable, so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Most of the mods for T1 are worthless. Either they are aesthetic only like re-skins for characters & UI, or they are fixes to the base game systems and stuff that Runic fucked up. I don't think that mods will do much beyond that for T2 but we'll see I guess. I know there are a lot of "new classes" mods, but almost none of those are even passable.

Most Obvious? Tone.

More subtle is the loot quotient which is infinitely better than Torchlight (1 at least). Exactly the right drop ratio for items - how often you get them, and what rarity they are. Along with all the other little touches.

Yeeeeah, I can tell right away looking at the stream for Torchlight 2.

Yeah, it's really obvious when looking at both videos. They both have different art styles, but you can tell just by looking at the D3 beta footage; blizzard put a lot of work into the game.

I like the idea of having two separate sources of energy. I'm guessing they've done away with mana pots?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Most of the mods for T1 are worthless. Either they are aesthetic only like re-skins for characters & UI, or they are fixes to the base game systems and stuff that Runic fucked up. I don't think that mods will do much beyond that for T2. I know there are a lot of "new classes" mods, but almost none of those are even passable.

How many of those have you played? Most are drastically different. Don't assume that because they look like another class that they play like that class.

inky

I played a bunch of them. I downloaded the classes mega pack that was rolling around the official forums which included like 30+ new "classes" like Airbender and shit. Most of those were unfinished or unbalanced or bad mods in general. I don't think they added much to the game tbh. This was some time ago so I don't remember the details... it's been a while since I last played T1.

Torchlight never felt like a coherent game. It was just a random mishmash of procedurally generated dungeon levels strung together by a laughable plot that I don't even remember. It felt more like a bad Diablo 2 mod than a game. You were constantly bombarded by a deluge of completely useless magical and rare loot that might as well have not existed. But the true killer of the first game was that it was single player only. Nobody plays Diablo style games in single player.

Dire

You don't think you're giving Blizzard perhaps just a bit too much credit there?

They have completely redone major aspects of the game in just the past 3 months. Runestones have been removed, classes have been radically changed from patch to patch, etc. They're not whipping out a chisel to tune the the details of their statue, they're bringing out sledgehammers to get the general shape down. I've no idea what they've been doing the past 5 years, but FFXIII showed that years of development time don't necessarily mean years of development.

Kalnos

Banned
Torchlight never felt like a coherent game. It was just a random mishmash of procedurally generated dungeon levels strung together by a laughable plot that I don't even remember. It felt more like a bad Diablo 2 mod than a game. You were constantly bombarded by a deluge of completely useless magical and rare loot that might as well have not existed. But the true killer of the first game was that it was single player only. Nobody plays Diablo style games in single player.

It was made in like less than 9 months, which is the root of most of its problems. :p

phinious

Right. If someone has gear designed to help them live through hoards doing the kind of damage that is done in Inferno, there's no way you're going to kill them with your hell level kit. That'll keep people spending large amounts of money on Inferno gear, which will make Blizzard a lot of money.

I played alot of Diablo 2, but only pvp'd like twice. I didnt realize people actually think of diablo as a pvp game at all.

I did get really addicted to WoW arenas though I guess.

inky

You don't think you're giving Blizzard perhaps just a bit too much credit there?

They have completely redone major aspects of the game in just the past 3 months. Runestones have been removed, classes have been radically changed from patch to patch, etc. They're not whipping out a chisel to tune the the details of their statue, they're bringing out sledgehammers to get the general shape down. I've no idea what they've been doing the past 5 years, but FFXIII showed that years of development time don't necessarily mean years of development.

Not at all. If anything the open beta made me dislike D3 a lot, but they simply have resources and manpower that Runic does not have. I understand what you say and agree to an extent, but I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that they still can 1up all of Runic's efforts due to their ability to just throw money at the game which is ultimately the discussion at hand. I will find it very surprising if T2 can keep up with gameplay variety, drops and enemy balance, pacing, different areas, mechanics, bosses, etc. and I don't think mods will change that.

I am not singing praises to D3 in any way, but it is the bigger game.

Cipherr

LOL @ putting D3 Besides FF13.

Can you please change my class to Wizard MrMister. I'm jumping off of the Demon Hunter boat. It'll be my first alt though.

Torchlight 2 has a lot going for it with the whole online mods thing. Runic could just release more Mod tools later to add tons longevity to the game.

D3 has blizzard's (I'm assuming) good support going for it. Although, hearing about them completely restructuring the game sounds a bit scary.

The gameplay for both looks good though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Torchlight 2 has a lot going for it with the whole online mods thing. Runic could just release more Mod tools later to add tons longevity to the game.

D3 has blizzard's (I'm assuming) good support going for it. Although, hearing about them completely restructuring the game sounds a bit scary.

The gameplay for both looks good though.

Both will be fantastic, and the most exciting part is that both feature very different classes.

Engineer is nothing like Barbarian
Outlander is nothing like Demon Hunter
Berserker is nothing like Monk
I'm forgetting the fourth class, but I think both will be different enough to enjoy around the same time.

scy

Man, I need my hands on the game so I can figure out the DPS formula :| There's something bizarre that's skewing some of my expected results and I have no idea what it is.

HenryHSH

I think Torchlight 2 looks great, I'm just more invested in Diablo's lore and love the style and atmosphere.

LOL @ putting D3 Besides FF13.

Can you please change my class to Wizard MrMister. I'm jumping off of the Demon Hunter boat. It'll be my first alt though.

Changed.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Speaking of Torchlight, I found this nice Diablo III Vs. Torchlight 2 infographic. Sorry if old.
0VEUX.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
Speaking of Torchlight, I found this nice Diablo III Vs. Torchlight 2 infographic. Sorry if old.

I have pre-ordered both and thinking of Kickstarting Grim Dawn aswell and will play Path of Exile aswell. I hope people don't take these Diablo/Torchlight wars seriously.

Both will be excellent games. Disappointed to see Diablo 3 is 4 player co-op going from that list.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh I got a question. Is Inferno soloable or does it just not scale down enough? I want that Inferno armor, but I doubt I'll have any higher skill friends to play with outside of GAF.

Dresden

Oh I got a question. Is Inferno soloable or does it just not scale down enough? I want that Inferno armor, but I doubt I'll have any higher skill friends to play with outside of GAF.

I'm sure you'll be able to solo it with the proper build.

I don't think I ever saw that inforgraphic before. It's still fairly informative, though definitely outdated due to changes in development.

Intended to be played with any number of people, solo or otherwise. It's just probably going to end up being slightly easier with 3 other people watching your back and buffing you, even with monsters scaling up for each additional player in the game.

V_Arnold

It's 6:05am... I tried getting some sleep but all I could think of was Diablo... so I woke up and here I am.

Fuck, what do I do... I think I'm gonna die.

What the fuck. Are you your own worst enemy, Yoshi? Sleep is the way to heal, to reorganize, to relax. It is also a mini-teleport that nets you 8+ hours against the waiting battle that is happening until may15.

You gain NOTHING by not sleeping, and you are losing a LOT.
So get the fuck out of your room, go to the bedroom, and sleep every day, 8 hours. From now on. Every fucking day!

Also, needless to say, the more healthy you start playing Diablo 3, the more you will be able to actually play it. If you get there half-dead, you wont last. So...use your brain :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuck. Are you your own worst enemy, Yoshi? Sleep is the way to heal, to reorganize, to relax. It is also a mini-teleport that nets you 8+ hours against the waiting battle that is happening until may15.

You gain NOTHING by not sleeping, and you are losing a LOT.
So get the fuck out of your room, go to the bedroom, and sleep every day, 8 hours. From now on. Every fucking day!

Also, needless to say, the more healthy you start playing Diablo 3, the more you will be able to actually play it. If you get there half-dead, you wont last. So...use your brain :p
:( You're right Arnold, I'm sorry... I'll go to bed any minute now. I will sleep 8 hours... see you then ♥

V_Arnold

Thanks, Zoner. Today is the day when I am fighting my caffeine addiction (or more precisely my requirement of living with 2l diet pepsi daily :p), and that picture actually helps :D

There was a whole separate thread about that setup.

Cant wait for that player to start a Barbarian instead, lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i started tomb raider (ps1) for some reason and i can't turn it off until i beat it...

i'm gonna die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom