• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Barbs hit thing damn hard and they go flying across the screen. Monks punch things and they explode. Never get bored of seeing some hapless monsters flying to the moon after some skull-crushing blows lands. :D

Yea one cool thing about the game is how they can fly 'into' your screen like where you see a leg take up half of your view space for a second.

V_Arnold

"We KNEW that no matter how good we are, our players are going to be better." -- Hope renewed that Inferno will actually be hard! Got disappointed at the lowball stats for it. Getting hyped for my planned Monk/Wizard duoing through Inferno.

Do not worry, even if ONE or TWO groups manage to take down Inferno, we will have people in here claiming that Blizzard is a bunch of untalented liars who could not even predict that, and the game is not difficult at all :D

Personally, I can perfectly believe that the MAJORITY of the Diablo 3's community will struggle in Inferno in 2012. As in they will be able to kill things every now and then, but certainly not without death, and not with ease - not until there is some very heavy gear+gem farmed for them and solid builds that has an expertise behind it when it needs to be used properly.

scy

Do not worry, even if ONE or TWO groups manage to take down Inferno, we will have people in here claiming that Blizzard is a bunch of untalented liars who could not even predict that, and the game is not difficult at all :D

I have no doubts that nearly everyone will complain about something (too easy, too hard, too many complaints, etc.). But, I also realize that I have unreasonable expectations on the difficulty. I mean, Dark Souls is an easy game to me and that's like the go-to difficulty comparison these days.

Though, I don't really care if Inferno is above/below my expectations here as long as it's fun, really. Just would be nice if it lives up to the difficulty hype, y'know?

I highly doubt it will be much harder than hell baal runs (read: easy) in the end which makes all the press around Inferno quite funny, I'm probably wrong though.

Did anyone try the beta/know someone who tried the beta with a 3 year old macbook pro? My buddy wants to know if itll run the game. My guess is he'll get a decent fps if he puts everything on low at 720p. Don't remember the specs though, althought I believe the graphics card was a nvidia 9600gt.

maharg

idspispopd
Did anyone try the beta/know someone who tried the beta with a 3 year old macbook pro? My buddy wants to know if itll run the game. My guess is he'll get a decent fps if he puts everything on low at 720p. Don't remember the specs though, althought I believe the graphics card was a nvidia 9600gt.

My old MBP runs it fine with everything on low and it's more than 3 years old at this point. Maybe more like 4 or 5?

Portal 2 reference *I think* for one of the achievements.
That's cute, but they should hook up with Steam some day... though not sure if it would make any sense to do that in their situation.

Freki

Some clarification on enrage timers by Bashiok:

I know what some boss enrage timers are, but to save spoilers I'll transpose it onto the Skeleton King. So, as an imaginary example, in Inferno if you don't kill the Skeleton King within four minutes he starts spawning three times the amount of skeletons. That creates a much tougher situation, but it's one you could very well handle if played right.

People kiting the Skeleton King around for an hour with their level 3 characters is fun to see. It's not fun when it's level 60's at end game and item drops matter. To make these kills and thus a character's progression matter we need to try to fight cheesy tactics that allow people to just flop through the game.

source

Hauk

Neo Member

That sounds really good. Nice to hear it's not just an increase in damage for bosses, but that they designed it so that it makes sense in a context, like SK spawning more minions. Will be good.

That's probably the model I have. Anywhere between about 20-40fps (with lower spikes) (~30 average) on an external monitor at 1080p, everything on low but models. I could probably have tweaked it more to see how much I could get without affecting performance too much, although the beta for Mac kind of got broken after a certain patch with the caching/stuttering issue that was never fixed for the beta. I'm citing the numbers I got in Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

It should be better with the retail release, and I definitely intend to install and test on both OS X and Windows.

Lower resolution (e.g. the built-in monitor), the game would perform even better.

Cipherr

source

And as expected folks are already complaining about it and the added 'difficulty' enrage timers could add. God its going to be funny watching the transition from

"Blah, I played through 1/3 of the first act on the easiest setting in beta while level 13, and thus vastly outleveling the Skeleton King, let alone the rest of the mobs. The game is too easy, way to fail Blizzard"

to

"What the fuck, why is it so hard? Way to fail Blizzard"

Quote that image man.

Edit: thx

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Not me

HBP8V.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Jeez guys just give me a few seconds before complaining, i didn't thought it was that big...

spats

Anyone want to send me an early copy of Diablo 3? Thanks.

I've preloaded it on to my pc but obviously can't play it. Is it the same thing with a physical copy? I guess you still need to auth with b.net which would make early playing impossible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That's cute, but they should hook up with Steam some day... though not sure if it would make any sense to do that in their situation.

Probably not. Blizzard is big enough and Battle.net so integrated into the product that there's no reason for them to surrender that big cut to Valve.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seriously, with the servers being locked it's like seeing cavemen brag about the wheel when we've had the wheel ready to go for weeks now.

Not to mention that the cart won't be delivered for another week, so all you've got is a useless wheel.

Valnen

Probably not. Blizzard is big enough and Battle.net so integrated into the product that there's no reason for them to surrender that big cut to Valve.

Yeah, you don't hear too many gamers saying things like "no steam, no buy" when it comes to Blizzard games. You could probably fill a single apartment with the amount of people with such a mentality.

Freki

Not to mention that the cart won't be delivered for another week, so all you've got is a useless wheel.

The digital dl is encrypted - the retail version probably isn't - we could datamine the shit out of a retail client right now if we had access to it!

Twinduct

Gah I hate the 'hype' feeling you get before a big game comes out. No matter what you play it just doesn't satisfy the gaming itch you think you'll get with the upcoming big game. Sure you try, hell you try your best for an hour or so. Only to quit and stare at the date.

Worst bit? Two days before the games actually comes out you get hooked on some game you left alone for too long. You actually enjoy it for two days, but then the game hits and you almost never play that old game again.

I hate that feel :<

Valnen

Gah I hate the 'hype' feeling you get before a big game comes out. No matter what you play it just doesn't satisfy the gaming itch you think you'll get with the upcoming big game. Sure you try, hell you try your best for an hour or so. Only to quit and stare at the date.

Worst bit? Two days before the games actually comes out you get hooked on some game you left alone for too long. You actually enjoy it for two days, but then the game hits and you almost never play that old game again.

Oh god, I still remember picking up GTA 4 at midnight and going "Is that it? Really? REALLY?". I did something similar with DMC 4.

Never had that happen with a Blizzard title though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I thought about buying the RDR GOTY and replaying that, but I know I won't finish it before Diablo's out.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I want to be able to move my character with WASD... Think that's possible :/

I've never gotten into this kinda game before (never played D2) so I started warming up with Titan Quest (which is awesome). But good lord does clicking to move everywhere suck so much bawlz.

Valnen

I've never gotten into this kinda game before (never played D2) so I started warming up with Titan Quest (which is awesome). But good lord does clicking to move everywhere suck so much bawlz.

You know you can hold down the left click, you don't have to spam it just to walk places.

FINALBOSS

Banned
You know you can hold down the left click, you don't have to spam it just to walk places.

Yeah, I know.

But that coupled with having to click on enemies to attack and stuff. Makes me feel like I need to have pinpoint accuracy with my mouse to hit the enemy I'd like to hit.

Raide

Yeah, I know.

But that coupled with having to click on enemies to attack and stuff. Makes me feel like I need to have pinpoint accuracy with my mouse to hit the enemy I'd like to hit.

There is a bit more focus on AoE attacks, so the exact clicking is not needed but for the bosses, they will be big enough that you can click them with ease. :D

Gentlemen...Time to Start Your Clicky Fingers!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is a bit more focus on AoE attacks, so the exact clicking is not needed but for the bosses, they will be big enough that you can click them with ease. :D

Gentlemen...Time to Start Your Clicky Fingers!

Oh, Torchlight and Diablo are going to break my mouse.

chiablo

I don't think Diablo 3 is the game for you.

hitsugi

I highly doubt it will be much harder than hell baal runs (read: easy) in the end which makes all the press around Inferno quite funny, I'm probably wrong though.

I think that's how a lot of old D2 players feel about it.. overhyped difficulty level. But we'll know in a week, won't we? The fact you're capped at 60, and Inferno starts at 60+ is already a pretty decent sign.

Rather than just clearing inferno, I wonder when players will be capable of farming Inferno solo.. or if it will ever be possible at all. Some of the mob abilities and AI that have been described make it sound like no one will be clearing it solo.

Raide

I think that's how a lot of old D2 players feel about it.. overhyped difficulty level. But we'll know in a week, won't we? The fact you're capped at 60, and Inferno starts at 60+ is already a pretty decent sign.

Rather than just clearing inferno, I wonder when players will be capable of farming Inferno solo.. or if it will ever be possible at all. Some of the mob abilities and AI that have been described make it sound like no one will be clearing it solo.

If you get the Tiered Item Drops from Hell, then you are ready for Inferno. That does not mean it will be easier but just like WoW, if you roll up in Nightmare Blues, I think you will get brutally mashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom