• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys stock price falling - Nikkei:"DQ shock"

Laguna

Banned
andriasang said:
Nikkei coined the latest "Shock" in a story on Sony's falling stock prices today. Sony's stock has been continuing to fall for the past three days, and today it reached its lowest level of the year. Nikkei's headline for this story read "Dragon Quest Shock Causes Decline."

The head of Rakuten Investment Management told the paper that investors may be concerned that the appearance of DQX on Wii and Wii U could lead to Sony's games business losing customers. This concern, combined with problems in the company's television business, and an overall market slowdown due to an appreciating yen and political problems in Europe, have pushed the stock down.

source

markot

Banned
Wait... Sonys stock falls due to potential lost customers cause of dqx online....

Squares stock falls because of dqx online......

Busty

Banned
Sony's market cap is now something like $20-22 billion.

That is, in itself, more shocking than the linked story.

This is really related to DQ? It's not exactly a shock that DQX isn't on a Sony platform, so I'm not sure why there is 'shock' in that regard, the shock pertains to it being Online I imagine, which would effect SE's shares, not Sony's.

StuBurns

Banned
Nintendo stock dropped because they got DQX, Sony stock dropped because they 'lost' DQX (wat), so MS won by never having it?

offshore

Busty said:
Sony's market cap is now something like $20-22 billion.

That is, in itself, more shocking than the linked story.
Indeed.

Apple could buy Sony nearly four times over. That's crazy.

Cornbread78

Like in the other thread a DQ/Sony link doesn't make sense here at all. IT was announced a long time ago to be aWii only game...

M.D

How does this report makes any sense? Dragon Quest wasn't on a Sony system for how long now? Since the PS2?

Why would it shock them that DDX is not on PS3/Vita? Was it rumored/expected?

StuBurns said:
Nintendo stock dropped because they got DQX, Sony stock dropped because they 'lost' DQX (wat), so MS won by never having it?

No. They auto-loss years ago. also, Nintendo's stock didn't drop due to having DQX. It dropped due to the Europeans. If anything it alleviated the impact. For Square it was a double whammy of Europeans and DQX.

Cornbread78 said:
Like in the other thread a DQ/Sony link doesn't make sense here at all. IT was announced a long time ago to be aWii only game...

If anything, Sony stock should be going up now that the mmmmmo will undoubtedly fail.

darkwing

M.D said:
How does this report makes any sense? Dragon Quest wasn't on a Sony system for how long now? Since the PS2?

must be rumors from 01net

Furret

Banned
M.D said:

It wasn't rumoured or expected.

Investors are idiots, I'd say especially when it comes to the games industry but I don't think we need to be that specific.

Indyana

markot said:
Wait... Sonys stock falls due to potential lost customers cause of dqx online....

Squares stock falls because of dqx online......
Sony stock falls due to potential lost customers and S-E stock falls because of the risk they are taking with DQX.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
offshore said:
Indeed.

Apple could buy Sony nearly four times over. That's crazy.
Things don't work that way. Sony is seriously undervalued right now. If Apple wants to buy Sony they have to bid more than $50 billion.

Furoba

Sony stock will pick up with TGS and PSP Vita launch, but they really should launch more radically different / unique products like Aibo, without feeling gimmicky at the same time. Increasing cooperation in between units should help.

Somnid

I think Sony's loss stems from the fact that DQX is on WiiU which makes it one of the biggest confirmed next-gen releases and that impacts PS4 and its potential to have a DQ game. Nintendo is settling the fanbase pretty early. From SE's perspective DQX is a huge risk and may fail to catch on so they lose too. Nintendo gains because it's not much risk on their end, just western publishing but it's a big exclusive for both the declining Wii and the upcoming WiiU.

Effect

I think it was the Wii U announcement that was the factor. That means a potential lock for the Dragon Quest franchise to Nintendo systems for the foreseeable future. The most popular gaming franchise in Japan. There is no doubt it won't have a positive outcome for the Wii U sales when it's released. If people were looking into the situation like that then I could understand the change in stock. They'd expect Sony to suffer in some way as a result.

I can understand the NIntendo stock increase do this and possible the Sony one. What I don't understand is the drop in SE's stock when the announcement was made. That is the one that confuses me unless they were influenced by Final Fantasy XIV. SE's last MMO outing.

stilgar

Companies working in the same field have their stock prices falling together, news at 11. Nothing to see with a so-called shock from a news older than my first acne spot.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also aren't like all the top JP companies (gaming wise) sitting on like a fuck-ton of money?

I know I read that somewhere, like the Capcoms, Konamis, SE's etc. could buy devs here in the west, like 2B+ stocked up, I think Sony has some too (money saved up)

I think this is just the real world economy taking a toll on everything, domino effect, no one is safe
Funny how DQX made Sega, Koei, and the rest go -% too, good job guys

Duffyside

Banned
Another stock story where people have no idea what they're talking about. Netflix down because people won't be able to rent DQX confirmed.

I mean really, could you be any less excited to just slap a story up and actually think about it for a second? Everything's down today, and it has nothing to do with Dragon Quest.

Edit: As stunning as that is to believe, I know.

stilgar

mugurumakensei said:
DQ causes global recession is next.

I know you're joking, but I remember an article, maybe 10 years ago, stating that the release of a Dragon Quest has a significant effect on Japanese growth given its sales. It could be absolute bullshit, though.

StuBurns

Banned
electroplankton said:
Didn't Nintendo stock increase after the announcement?
I thought there was a thread yesterday saying it was down 10%, I certainly could be mistaken though yeah.

Top Bottom