• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

Dave Long

Banned
Mammoth Jones said:
All I know is Planets vs Zombies sells on iOS for 99c-$2.99 and for $6.99 on eshop. I'm not saying they're doing "bad" but they could be doing MUCH better. For one thing games shouldn't be buried in the eshop. If the user has an active wifi connection they should be seeing new deals, new releases and new sales right there on their main page when they log in.
So you'd prefer that they advertise in your face rather than let you choose to see those games if you want to buy one?

Sorry. I'm not going to agree with you. I don't turn on my supposedly superior iPhone to advertisements, so why should I have to do that with the 3DS?

wsippel said:
Is this thread still going? Why aren't Reuters and Gamasutra banned yet:

j65zkg.png

Reminder: Conference began 12:00.

Reuters and Gamasutra do not deserve to be banned. It may be misleading journalism, but one article should not damn an (otherwise highly reputable) source.

wsippel

Banned
SykoTech said:
Yeah, and .01net!
They get some shit right every once in a while. The Reuters article, and the Gamasutra piece it spawned (without any fact checking) however is just plain wrong. Nothing happened following the announcement. Everything happened before any announcements were even made. And that makes perfect sense if you actually understand the stock market. I don't expect the Gamasutra guys to know how to read the chart I posted, but Reuters should be able to. They are not. Or at least the tool writing the article wasn't.

wsippel said:
They get some shit right every once in a while. The Reuters article, and the Gamasutra piece it spawned (without any fact checking) however is just plain wrong. Nothing happened following the announcement. Everything happened before any announcements were even made. And that makes perfect sense if you actually understand the stock market. I don't expect the Gamasutra guys to know how to read the chart I posted, but Reuters should be able to. They are not. Or at least the tool writing the article wasn't.

Just fucking stop.

Nuclear Muffin said:
He does have a point here though. The stock drop happened before the conference (while all of these sources are claiming that it happened after the conference instead)

No matter what his point on one article, he's calling for Reuters and Gamasutra to be banned.

Please defend that. I dare you.

wsippel

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Do you have any idea how ludicrous that is? Do you?

He wants Reuters banned...Gamasutra...
I was joking. I don't blame Reuters as a whole, and I definitely don't blame Gamasutra. They don't know any better. Still, the article itself is just plain worthless. I don't know who wrote it, and I don't care, but it's certainly not up to their standards. The takeaway is that even if Reuters is your source, check the facts. They might be wrong.

wsippel said:
I was joking. I don't blame Reuters as a whole, and I definitely don't blame Gamasutra. They don't know any better. Still, the article itself is just plain worthless. I don't know who wrote it, and I don't care, but it's certainly not up to their standards.

I don't believe it for a second but at least peer pressure brought you back to earth.

DrLazy

I agree with the investors. This is what I would want from Nintendo:

At the very least, I want an app store that completely opens up the marketplace for everyone, with a wide range of pricing options that includes ad-supported "free," $1 and micro-transactions.

Cell phone, tablet and browser based gaming are a classic case of low end disruptions widely accepted as fatal to the industry leader by business academics.

Essentially what happens is big companies in any market, ranging from Steel to phone service, are unable to adapt to a disrubtive innovations for fear of losing their current, lucrative cash flow stream. Itawa's speech at GDC showed just how much he fears the new $1 and free games, arguing it was teaching consumers to undervalue games (and this has indeed happened. No one complained about spending $60 for NES games back in 1980). But the cat's out of the bag and can't be put back in -- $1 and free games are here to stay. Ninetendo can plug their ears and continue plugging away at their old business model, but those casual customers aren't coming back. They're not spending $200 for a gaming only-device with $40 games. Like many large companies, their refusal to compete at the lower price point will allow other companies and developers to establish a foothold. Those cheap browser, cell phone and tablet based games will soon get better quality and offered at a slightly higher price point. Those companies will also gain a mastery of the new distruptive business models without worry from competition from the "big boys" and access to an already established customer base on disruptive platforms. Soon those cellphone games and tablet games will be competing directly with the quality of 3DS games at a wide range of pricing options. Might take a few years, but it will happen.

Nintendo isn't doomed. But it could face a slow, painful fight for the mobile market that will suck dry their previously lucrative revenue stream.

krypt0nian said:
No matter what his point on one article, he's calling for Reuters and Gamasutra to be banned.

Please defend that. I dare you.

No of course that's insanity. I wouldn't dare defend that.

I just think he's making a good point that is sadly getting drowned out by the insanity in his post.

wsippel

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I don't believe it for a second but at least peer pressure brought you back to earth.
Not that I give half a fuck, but I really was kidding. You're free not to believe me. In fact, I'm very tired and drunk, and didn't even notice those "peer pressure" posts you're talking about until I wrote the second post. ;)

PS: I read Gamasutra every day. I certainly wouldn't want to see them getting banned, but I wouldn't trust them when it comes to the stock market, either. It's just not their forte.

Dave Long

Banned
The problem with putting $1, FREE and ad-supported games on a pedestal is eventually people tire of garbage and move on from it to something that costs a little more but is more satisfying to play.

We all know where those games are. Eventually the rest of the public will catch up after this wave of euphoria over free or nearly free subsides. Either that or everyone will start doing something else entirely, like buying groceries and gas to get to work.

wsippel said:
Not that I give half a fuck, but I really was kidding. You're free not to believe me. In fact, I'm very tired and drunk, and didn't even notice those "peer pressure" posts you're talking about until I wrote the second post. ;)

Ah it's cool. Just rang false to me but I'll take your word. :)

wsippel said:

Analysts get the info on conferences like this one before they happen. The stock drop came from the info released today.

wsippel

Banned
bigtroyjon said:
Analysts get the info on conferences like this one before they happen. The stock drop came from the info released today.
Analysts get fuck all. That would be "insider trading", which is actually illegal. The stock market doesn't work like people on GAF (or Gamasutra, or freelance authors on Reuters) think it does. That's all there is to it.

Busaiku

dark10x said:
Let's see something new, Nintendo!
I don't understand the appeal for a new label.

Nintendo does new stuff all the time within their franchises, even going so far as to take completely unrelated games and stuffing one of their mascots in there, for greater brand appeal or whatever.

Going back to Kirby, this weekend, we'll be getting Kirby Mass Attack.
In about a month from now, we'll be getting Kirby's Return to Dreamland.
These two games of the same franchise play almost nothing alike and the only thing similar are the characters.

bigtroyjon said:

Bollocks. They get nothing of the sort. Not only would it result in a crazy amount of leaks it would also be insider trading (which is illegal)

wsippel said:
Analysts get fuck all. That would be "insider trading", which is actually illegal. The stock market doesn't work like people on GAF (or Gamasutra, or freelance authors on Reuters) think it does. That's all there is to it.
LOL, nice to have confirmation that you have zero clue as to what you are talking about. They always have pre meetings with analysts before events like this. You clearly have no clue how the market works if you think that people are trading stocks based on glorified pr events.

Eteric Rice said:
Wouldn't it be better for Nintendo to try to get the hardcore players, THEN move on to getting casuals?

Why is it either/or? Nintendo should do both at the same time.

bigtroyjon said:
LOL, nice to have confirmation that you have zero clue as to what you are talking about. They always have pre meetings with analysts before events like this. You clearly have no clue how the market works if you think that people are trading stocks based on glorified pr events.

You can get your point across without being a total douchebag.

Busaiku

IchigoSharingan said:
Why is it either/or? Nintendo should do both at the same time.
That's what they're trying with stuff like Friend Collection, Style Savvy, and Animal Crossing, alongside stuff like Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Why would you buy a Nintendo console if you don't want to play Nintendo games?

Besides I don't see why both things (mobile and handhelds) can't coexist anyway. They just can't go for the "casual" gamers like they used to due to them moving on to teh Angry Bird machine (lol). You sort of see Nintendo trying to do that with the Monster Hunter games ( an aside but how well did the Wii game sell? I only bought it to get the cc pro).

It's not all doom and gloom guys. You kinda need to give the system a full year or atleast until Christmas after Mario Kart strikes the earth before the panic.

wsippel

Banned
bigtroyjon said:
Which part of "illegal" didn't you get?

It doesn't work the way you think it does. Also, read the fucking chart I posted. It's pretty obvious that one or two investors, most likely fond managers, caused the drop. And it was never about the actual announcements. Yes, Nintendo might be 50% down over the last 12 months, but they're also 20% up over the last few weeks. So basically the perfect opportunity to make short term profits. If that's your plan, you don't give a fuck about the actual announcements. You bought at ¥10,000, and sold at ¥12,000. 20% in four weeks - that's really all there is to it.

Cromat

dark10x said:
Perhaps the most disappointing thing with the 3DS thus far is the lack of NEW content from talented development teams (particularly of the first party variety).

I love sequels as much as the next guy, but the 3DS lineup reads like that of every other Nintendo system. I'm happy to see a new Mario game, but wouldn't you also like to see, say, the team behind Zelda or some other group at EAD tackle a new game? Why were/are people excited for stuff like Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Bioshock, Shadows of the Damned, inFamous, Portal, Heavy Rain, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, Gears of War and Child of Eden? None of these series existed before this generation yet every one of them comes from a developer with a track record for producing amazing games. When you allow a talented team to come in and create something new the results are usually going to be incredible.

This is what I want to see out of Nintendo. I want to see the world class teams at EAD come up with something original yet in the spirit of games they've created previously. Zelda is a great series, but what about a new action adventure series from that group? It wouldn't have to play like Zelda, of course, but could be something of that magnitude and type. What about a new platformer with a unique mechanic, aesthetic, and level design from the Mario Galaxy team? I know these franchises are basically a license to print money, but it's disappointing seeing the exact same lineup of games once again on another platform. All the regulars are here. Why not allow at least one of those teams to create something original with the potential to become huge? They struck gold with the Wii* series of titles (Sports, Play, etc), but those really don't appeal in the same way that a good Zelda game does (at least to the non-casual crowd).

Let's see something new, Nintendo!

Nintendo takes its talent and puts in in the "golden cage" of its franchises.
Think of the games the people behind Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy could make if they weren't forced to comply to 20-years of nostalgia and expectations.

shagg_187 said:
Damn... I love when Analysts talk on behalf of the gamers. That being said, it doesn't print money?!
THey're usually right. I vividly remember GAF's reaction to Nintendo's E3 Wii Fit conference. All mockery and gloom. Investors praised it. Guess which group proved to be right.

Cipherr

Operations said:
THey're usually right. I vividly remember GAF's reaction to Nintendo's E3 Wii Fit conference. All mockery and gloom. Investors praised it. Guess which group proved to be right.

I remember those same type of folks proclaiming the death of the PSP and PS3 also.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
sonikokaruto said:
investors are angry because they wanna play mario and don't have a 3ds, but don't wanna spend on it.
Or they have the 3DS but are upset that there isn't more Farmville, less Mario.

IchigoSharingan said:
Yeah, I don't believe he has -any- evidence for that ridiculous claim.

As soon as many of these type's of conferences end investment firms send of detailed reports to their clients. That can only happen if they have the knowledge beforehand.

Zeal

Banned
wsippel said:

butthurt Nintendrones are like, the saddest sight you can still see online.

Zeal

Banned
antonz said:
Really we are back to grade school name calling?
because I've never seen people jump so quickly to defend something, especially when this little dip in stock is almost completely irrelevant in the long term of things.

I'm not a Nintendo fan by any means, but what's happening here is not going to do anything to them. Investors are very fickle people.

GeekyDad

The_Darkest_Red said:
At best the 3DS launch has been typical, at worst it has been below average. Either way the thing is still selling and the game lineup is growing to the point where it would be crazy to ignore it.

The only reason people are freaking out so much right now is because they're jumping on the iBandwagon.

I don't disagree with you. Thing is, no matter what we, the gamers, know, it's the investors that make the stock go up or down. These are major, major stock dips in a very short span of time. The system might be doing well, but if investors panic (which is what seems to be happening) and pull their money, Nintendo could still be in trouble even with a killer holiday season.

bigtroyjon said:
As soon as many of these type's of conferences end investment firms send of detailed reports to their clients. That can only happen if they have the knowledge beforehand.

There is no accounting for the timing and as such the disparity. Regardless, let's assume that you're right.

You're saying analysts get info on conferences before they happen, and that the stock drop came as a result of info released. Can you clarify on that?

When was the info released to investors? Was it analysts that released the info themselves? Do you believe this to fall under insider trading clauses? If not, why?

wsippel said:
Except, you know: I actually have a point and I don't really give a fuck.

Yeah, you do have a valid point.

Zeal

Banned
wsippel said:
Except, you know: I actually have a point and I don't really give a fuck.
And the point is people don't ban Reuters and Gamasutra over graphs, or because they post something you don't like.

Absurd.

Top Bottom