• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Unveils iOS/Android Line-Up, Including Demon's Score From Epic Games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks to duckroll for finding and translating all this. And thanks to miladesn for finding additional information.

In a surprise announcement, Square Enix has announced that they're publishing a game from Epic for iOS and Android.

They also made several other announcements.

There's a trailer for Million Arthur here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8t_1HealXk&feature=player_embedded

duckroll said:
Details:

- Square Enix announces Square Enix Market, a portal site for Android
- Due to be launched this winter, the portal site covers 3 major carriers in Japan (NTT Docomo, NDDI, SoftBank), and will be a service platform to offer Square Enix Android games and apps to Smartphones
- Many of the titles being targeted for the platform will be free to play micro transaction models
- Takashi Tokita is now the producer of S-E's mobile game division
- Final Fantasy Legends Warriors of Light and Darkness has achieved over 1 million downloads on the current distribution channel
- The game will be ported to iPhone and Android phones in 2012
- A brand new original title called Demon's Score will also be released in 2012 for iOS and Android, developed by Epic Games
- Dragon Quest Monsters Wanted! and Itadaki Street Smartphone are also due for release on the Square Enix Market platform
- Other titles planned in the future include re-releasing old classics like Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger
- Lastly they announced Diffusion Million Arthur (拡散性ミリオンアーサー), a Card Battle RPG based on Arthurian legends. There will be over 50 illustrators working on artwork for the cards, and the title is due on iOS and Android with no release date or price specified.
- Million Arthur is the next title from producer Takehiro Ando (Chaos Rings), while Demon's Score is the next title from producer Takashi Tokita (FFIV, FFL)
duckroll said:
I'm reading more articles about the conference they had, and they actually ran a trailer for the Square Enix Market portal app. Other sites are reporting that this is the confirmed upcoming line-up on the S-E Market, which means confirmed Android titles:

- DQ Monsters Wanted
- FFL
- Chrono Trigger
- Itadaki Street
- Chaos Rings
- Chaos Rings Omega
- Demon's Score
- Million Arthur
- FF1
- FF2
- Crystal Defenders
Source 1: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/406/406205/
Source 2: http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/pickup/20110915/1037807/?ST=tgs2011
Source 3: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/15050190.html
Source 4: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/15050347.html
Source 5: http://gadget.itmedia.co.jp/gg/articles/1109/15/news080.html
Source 6: http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/event/tgs2011/20110915_477687.html

Demon's Score

08_px2408p65.jpg

Final Fantasy Legends

06_px240epi5.jpg

Dragon Quest Monsters Wanted!

05_px240upak.jpg

Chaos Rings 2

rb682a6l2w42gtwpmv6ljuojex.jpg

Chaos Rings Omega

ttqie81gtp23wtsvyakhp7v84t.jpg

Itadaki Street Smartphone

07_px2401pmo.jpg

Chrono Trigger

gguzzbj4tkuli4k9y6cq5t9jhh.jpg

Diffusion Million Arthur

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8t_1HealXk&feature=player_embedded

09_px240vqz8.jpg

04_px2409q1t.jpg

xtg19f78e.jpg

c20110915_app_10_cs1w1trny.jpg

c20110915_app_11_cs1w1mr62.jpg

c20110915_app_09_cs1w1srwq.jpg

c20110915_app_12_cs1w1nq4p.jpg

Square Enix Market:

02_px400or1g.jpg

SmokyDave

Someone forgot to tell them there's no money in smartphones.

Looks good, I'll grab it purely for the half-covered buttocks.

Slime

Banned
On one hand I'm glad that I may actually have a chance to play Final Fantasy Legends, but on the other I prefer the look of the original version:

nyia9v.jpg

But oh well, I can deal. :(

And DQMW! has my attention.

duckroll

This is a pretty significant announcement imo, especially for gamers outside of Japan who usually aren't able to play S-E's games if they're released directly onto mobile platforms in Japan. By moving forward boldly with an iOS/Android announcement like this, it is much more likely that all their future mobile games from 2012 onward will be available to people outside of Japan as well.

I hope Monotone gets a remake on Square Enix Market! <3

- Many of the titles being targeted for the platform will be free to play micro transaction models
Itadaki Street Smartphone
The irony...

The least interesting is obviously the Epic one, as it almost certainly will have control issues and limited gameplay due to that; DQ, fortune street and FF are very good matches for the touch only input.

_Xenon_

Banned
How does SE market work? Is it a portal app kind of thing that I can download from android market? And how much chance do we have to get these games localized?

mutsu

wow... guess it's game on for Square-Enix. Even games like Itadaki Street on smartphones? They are truly serious about it.

Gaming landscape is changing for real...

Have they mentioned or considered bring Chaos Rings over to the android market place? I thought it would be appropriate to ask considering the focus at hand.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Urban Scholar said:
Have they mentioned or considered bring Chaos Rings over to the android market place? I thought it would be appropriate to ask considering the focus at hand.
I'm not entirely sure.

duckroll

_Xenon_ said:
How does SE market work? Is it a portal app kind of thing that I can download from android market? And how much chance do we have to get these games localized?

Yes, it is a portal app which acts like a site hub for all the games Square Enix will be offering on the Android market. It will be available on the Android market this winter in Japan. Considering how consistent the localization for digital download games from S-E has been so far, I would say there is a very good chance that the majority if not all the content will be localized.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nice. I will gladly take Chrone Trigger and pay attention to a couple of these games.

Aru

Nice.

I have a lot of S-E games to catch up on iPhone/iPad, but these announcements are great.
Will probably buy FFL and DQMW.

Not interested in a touch version of Chrono Trigger.

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:

They didn't mention it at the conference, but I think this is something which is simply a matter of time. S-E's move to support both iOS and Android, and their Android portal app, pretty much confirms that moving forward there will be no exclusives imo. So they should also be porting their older titles to Android eventually, once they have the resources.

- A brand new original title called Demon's Score will also be released in 2012 for iOS and Android, developed by Epic Games

That's the most WTF?! announcement for me! Of all the places for Epic to announce a new game!

Interesting to see that it's coming from them internally and not from Chair this time.

mutsu said:
wow... guess it's game on for Square-Enix. Even games like Itadaki Street on smartphones? They are truly serious about it.

Gaming landscape is changing for real...

Well they've always been serious about smartphones. Been that way for the last 5-4 years, they were the first to jump on board smartphone platforms - so not much is changing here in regards to their philosophy.

It's just that now with them moving their games over to iOS and Android that we'll actually finally be able to play them in English!

BTW: I guarantee you that Chrono Trigger is going to be absolutely horrible to play on touch only devices. Those kinds of controls are fine for turn based games, but with ATB RPGs, it's going to be awful!

Well they've always been serious about smartphones. Been that way for the last 5-4 years, they were the first to jump on board smartphone platforms - so not much is changing here in regards to their philosophy.

It's just that now with them moving their games over to iOS and Android that we'll actually finally be able to play them in English!
SE sseems to be catching up with the trend fast, and if they can manage not fucking up their brands, it is a really good sign.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nuclear Muffin said:

They've actually been making original iOS content for a while, they're just pushing much harder now.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The hell. That FF game looks like ass :/ Why not just port over existing DS/PSP titles? I'll probably get Chrono Trigger on android... sigh

I guess at least they're doing something for Android now

duckroll said:
They didn't mention it at the conference, but I think this is something which is simply a matter of time. S-E's move to support both iOS and Android, and their Android portal app, pretty much confirms that moving forward there will be no exclusives imo. So they should also be porting their older titles to Android eventually, once they have the resources.

Ah, good news then.

Munin

Teetris said:
The hell. That FF game looks like ass :/ Why not just port over existing DS/PSP titles? I'll probably get Chrono Trigger on android... sigh

I guess at least they're doing something for Android now

They can keep all the ports and remakes if they turn out like lackluster, ugly "can't even bother to draw up a proper new user interface" crap like Secret of Mana and FFT.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Amazed that Scrolls = Elder Scrolls lawsuit debacle didn't happen here

Demon's Soul = Demon's Score....No Lawsuit, Yet!...I think the industry is learning...Hooray!

duckroll

I'm reading more articles about the conference they had, and they actually ran a trailer for the Square Enix Market portal app. Other sites are reporting that this is the confirmed upcoming line-up on the S-E Market, which means confirmed Android titles:

- DQ Monsters Wanted
- FFL
- Chrono Trigger
- Itadaki Street
- Chaos Rings
- Chaos Rings Omega
- Demon's Score
- Million Arthur
- FF1
- FF2
- Crystal Defenders

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a note, there might be more info still coming in, as duckroll is continuing to research.

We're unsure what this is:

xtg05g7ey.jpg

duckroll

That's a screen from the trailer they ran for the Square Enix Market app. But yeah, no idea what they're actually showing. Lol.

duckroll said:
That's a screen from the trailer they ran for the Square Enix Market app. But yeah, no idea what they're actually showing. Lol.

Look closely, it's obv DQ Heroes Wanted. It's an attack animation I guess

Are we sure Demon's Score is an Epic game and not just Chair? I'd guess it's Chair, seeing as, well, they have experience in the area.

Nirolak said:
They've actually been making original iOS content for a while, they're just pushing much harder now.

Exactly, it's not really a fundamental change for S-E. They're just doing what they were already doing (only harder!)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Upon closer inspection we've determined that the above mystery screenshot is most likely Dragon Quest Monsters Wanted with some kind of effect over the screen.

Edit:

Green Scar said:

Are we sure Demon's Score is an Epic game and not just Chair? I'd guess it's Chair, seeing as, well, they have experience in the area.
And I see we were beat to our realization. :lol

duckroll

Green Scar said:

Yeah you're right. That's probably from the part of the trailer where they showed off DQ Monsters Wanted. Good catch. :)

It says it's developed by Epic Games, and it's produced by Tokita. It's a game specifically made for Square Enix. Beyond that, they haven't announced anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
It says it's developed by Epic Games, and it's produced by Tokita. It's a game specifically made for Square Enix. Beyond that, they haven't announced anything.
To add to this, my guess is that it's Epic Games Tokyo, because Cliffy was hinting they wanted to make games out of that office some day.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Looks great, will buy this Epic game for sure, but some other games look interesting too.

Top Bottom