- Developer - FROM Software
- Publisher(s) - [JPN/ASIA] FROM Software / [NA/PAL] NAMCO Bandai Games
- Director - Hidetaka Miyazaki
- Platform(s) - PlayStation 3 [JPN/NA/PAL/ASIA] / XBOX 360[NA/PAL/ASIA]
- Rating(s) CERO: D / ESRB: M / PEGI: 16
Enter a dark world filled with despair and threaded by hope where your ability to creatively strategize, learn and overcome unpredictable and unique challenges determines your fate. Dark Souls will demand your absolute concentration, unflinchingly punish your mistakes, but reward your ability to learn from death. Each challenge is a mind game met with endless combinations that will test your ability to creatively strategize a way to conquer unimaginable monsters and progress deeper into this bleak and forbidding environment filled with the un-dead.
- Extremely Deep, Dark & Difficult - Unforgiving in its punishment, yet rewarding for the determined - learn to strategize freely and conquer seemingly impossible challenges. You will organically design your own gameplay style by developing your character and continuously trying different strategies to finally achieve successful progression.
- Fully Seamless World - Explore a completely integrated world of dark fantasy where dungeons are seamlessly intertwined, with great height.
- Mastery Earns Progression - Contains 60 hours of gameplay, with nearly 100 uniquely despair-inducing monsters & an incredibly nuanced weaponry & magic spells system, the effectiveness of which is determined by combat situation, fighting style and character attributes. Player success depends on their eventual mastery of how and when to use the magic spells, choice of armor, the number of weapons, the types of weapons, and the moves attached to the weapons.
- Network Play - Players may cross paths with one another, interacting with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game. Networked play allows users to cross paths with one another to enhance the single-player gameplay experience without destroying it.
- Flexible Character Development & Role Play - As the player progresses, they must carefully choose which of their character's abilities to enhance as this will determine their progression style. Players can choose to play as a sword master and a wizard, for example.
- Community - See other real players and empathize with their journey, learn from seeing how others died, find and leave messages for your fellow players; helping them or leading them into death.
- Symbolic of Life & Hope - The Beacon Fire is an important feature of Dark Souls for many reasons. Though in gameplay it serves as a recovery and re-spawn point for players whose health gets low, it is also where players can emotionally share experiences with other players, and is the one place in the dark world where players can find a fleeting moment of warmth and calm.
- 9 / 22 / 2011 [JPN]
- 10 / 04 / 2011 [NA]
- 10 / 07 / 2011 [PAL]
- *10 / 04 / 2011 [ASIA]
- * [ASIA] version release date information "scarce"; most likely on or around 10/04-10/07.
- [JPN] *• 7,800 - • 9,500
- [NA] $ 59.99
- [PAL] *£ 36.91 - £ 39.99
- [ASIA] *$ 53.90 - $ 64.90
- *Pricing may vary depending on version and purchase location. If/when considering Import copies, realize there may be price mark-up. Prices taken from Play-Asia, Amazon UK, GAME UK, Amazon US.
- Pre-orders for [NA/PAL] are automatically upgraded to Collector's Edition for a limited run. [JPN] version sold as two separate versions, different prices. (source: GAF / worldrevolution)
- Covenants - When exploring the game world, specific opportunities will allow the player to ally with a specific person/object. This oath/allegiance system is called a Covenant. It's a new, unique feature to the Dark Souls online experience which adds immersion and anticipation. Covenants could potentially align your character with other players, or create tension and competition as enemies. This system is dissimilar to an "MMO guild", but will allow the game to create a unique gaming experience for each player. Known covenants: Way of White, Princess's Guard, Forest Hunter, Gravelord Servant, Chaos Servant, Path of the Dragon, Warrior of Sunlight, Blades of the Darkmoon, and Darkwraiths.
- Gravelord - Think Demon's Souls was hard? Gravelord intensifies the experience of online gameplay and invasion through sabtoage. Invoking the power of Gravelord ups the difficulty of a random player's world when in a given area. To remove the curse, the affected player must find the Gravelord markings, allowing him/her to invade then kill the caster. The tension this creates will no doubt enhance the challenge of the game.
- Global Servers - According to an early interview, players will be able to connect globally, regardless of game version.
Originally Posted by Hidetaka Miyazaki, Interveiw (translation: duckroll)
He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demonís Souls where all players could play together, and itís a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.
- Early interview information, most likely still valid. Unfortunately, I've heard conflicting reports more recently. This issue needs some confirmation, I'll try to get it.
Disclaimer: There's been various provisional cover artwork released, as well CE packaging, final artwork MAY vary but I've tried to post artwork that has been "confirmed" as official.
- [NA] Collector's Edition consists of a cheap quality tin case, and digital collectibles. It will include a digital download code for the soundtrack and limited edition artbook. It also includes a behind-the-scenes/making of video. The physical strategy guide has been replaced with a mini, digital version.
- [PAL] Collector's Edition consists of a "digipak" cardboard case. This edition comes with a physical soundtrack, Making Of video disc, digital "guide" and physical artbook.
- [JPN] Collector's/"Award" Edition comes with a fold-out map of the Castle area depicted in demonstrations, and a physical soundtrack. There's been no other information (that I can find) about other goodies.
- [ASIA] Collector's Edition information is scarce, but Play-Asia lists it and shows something similar to the [PAL] edition. My guess it includes more of the same; making of video, soundtrack, some form of artbook, and guide.
- Again, packaging for these Collector's Editions have been announced, but it's hard to say what will be the final look considering the different cover artwork. This especially goes for the [ASIA] version.
Strategy guide is being published by Future Press:
- Future Press
- Examiner.com - "Content revealed for the Official Strategy Guide of Dark Souls"
- Order - Amazon
- Order - Bookdepository.com
PREPARE TO DIE LESS
Going into Dark Souls unaided will get you killed. A lot. Even armed with the complete knowledge of the game that this guide will provide, youíre still certain to die at least a few times. But when a gigantic demon takes you by surprise youíll at least have a chance to not lose everything. This is a true survival guide for a game thatís almost impossible to survive.
Area Guide Walkthrough
The Walkthrough makes use of detailed maps to guide you in exploring every inch of the gameís huge world. Learn the most useful shortcuts and find all of the hidden areas.
Everything you need to know to tackle the gameís army of lethal foes is contained in one easy-to-use reference chapter. Tactics, data and attack details for all enemies will prove an invaluable resource.
Weapons & Equipment
Weapons, Armor and Magic are all covered in exhaustive detail. Full stats, locations, upgrade paths and usage strategies are provided so you can easily compare all of the options when choosing your equipment.
The complete item lists reveal every last consumable, accessory, upgrading material and offensive item. Quickly discover where to find each one and how to make the most of them.
Discover how to unlock every Achievement or Trophy and learn the secrets of Dark Soulsí unique online multiplayer mode.
**PLEASE NOTE: Spoilers may be contained within these videos. Watch at your own risk!
Wanderer Gameplay (Cam / XBOX 360)
Gametrailers.com | Tutorial Gameplay (Cam / XBOX 360)
Gametrailers.com | Hero Creation Gameplay (Cam / XBOX 360)
Gametrailers.com | Deprived "Demo" Gameplay (Cam / XBOX 360)
- TGS 2011 | The first 30 minutes of Dark Souls - Allistair Pinsof
Gametrailers.com | Dukes Archives Walkthrough (Cam / PS3)
Gametrailers.com | Undead Chapel/Courtyard (Cam / PS3)
- Undead Courtyards Gameplay
- Undead Terrace Gameplay
- Undead Chapel Gameplay
- Undead Chapel Boss Gameplay
Gametrailers.com | Black Knight Walkthrough (Cam / PS3)
Gametrailers.com | "Demo" Walkthrough / Solaire of Astora (Cam / PS3)
Gametrailers.com | Random Gameplay Clips (Cam / PS3)
- Magic Using Gameplay
- Belfry Gargoyles / Maneater v.2 Gameplay
- Dragon Attack Gameplay
- Castle Raid Gameplay
- More Coming soonInterviews
- Famitsu 09/07 (Refresh in browser: Famitsu hates hotlinking)
- Translated Tidbits (Credit: Otaku_Oyabunn)Articles
Originally Posted by moonspeak
Originally Posted by RedSwirl
Originally Posted by Dreweyes
*To cut down on the length of this post, I'm linking to the first post in the Review thread. Updated review listings are posted there.
- Warrior - "Fearless" warrior / Weapons expert / High strength, dexterity
- Knight - "Low-ranking" Knight / High HP, heavy armor / Sturdy
- Wanderer - "Aimless" wanderer / Wields scimitar / High dexterity
- Thief - "Guilt-ridden" Thief / High critical hits / Master key
- Bandit - "Savage" bandit / High strength / Wields heavy battle axe
- Hunter - "Bow-wielding" hunter / Average close range / Magic vulnerable
- Sorcerer - "Sorcerer of Vinheim" / Dragon school / Casts soul sorceries
- Pyromancer - "Great Swamp" pyromancer / Casts fire / Wields hand axe
- Cleric- Cleric on pilgrimage / Wields a mace / Casts healing miracles
- Deprived - Unclothed enigma / Armed with club / Plank shield
- Blessing of the Goddess - Consumable item that fully restores HP and clears negative effects.
- Black Firebomb - Thrown item that creates a powerful blaze. Start with 10.
- Telescope - Used to see distant objects, threats, scenery and enemies. Considered a "key item" and can be used more than once.
- Pendant - An item filled with "blocked memories".
- Humanity's Twin - Obtainable from other Black Phantoms. Possibly used to restore character's Humanity.
- All-purpose Key - A Master Key that can open any door with SIMPLE locks. Not obtainable in the game world.
- Ring of Life - Increases maximum HP by a small amount.
- Ring of the Aged Witch - Current usage/benefit unkown.
NAMCO Bandai / Preparetodie.com
FROM Software - Official Blog (Japanese)
FROM Software (Japanese)
FROM Software (English)
Dark Souls | Facebook
DARK SOULS Walkthrough w/ Maps ("Hand made maps")
Livedoor JPN Wiki
Wikispaces - JPN Sister Wiki
Dark Souls Wikidot | Now up! Help start compiling information
TV Tropes | Dark Souls