• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Refused To Let Keiji Inafune To Complete Mega Man Legends 3

Boney

Banned
news_photo_12858_1303399815.jpg

Wow, even the creator of Mega Man gets shit on these days by his own company?

I really don't know if I can legitimately say gaming is better in this day of DLC and no Action Replay and fees for everything and disposable games and dying studios and botched franchises and Need for Call of Tony Hawk: Hardened Duty Tactical Strike and creators not being able to sell anything if it doesn't have 12 guns and 13 shades of brown in it.

Ashkeloth

Never have I been so conflicted. Their fighting games are my lifeblood, but it seems like every corporate suit at Capcom is a living, breathing pile of human waste.

Arcblade

Banned
For serious - ppl say that Japanese devs are behind the times and all sorts of other bullshit, but that ain't it at all.

It's corporate greed combined with just enough corporate stupidity to not see what is truly in their own vested interests.

And yet this is precisely what is wrong with western devs too.

Fuck 'em all, I say - another 2600 end-cycle apocalypse can't come soon enough.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oh man, the timing couldn't be more perfect. There's a lot of (newly) frustrated Legends' fans these couple of days. Get it out of your system, boys.

Momo

Banned
captmcblack said:
As I recall, Inafune did his fair share of throwing his colleagues under the metaphorical bus as well.

wwm0nkey

Valnen said:
He screws over Capcom, Capcom retaliates. Okay then.

Not gonna hate on Capcom for this.
When they screw over the fans, blame the fans adn then not release a finished prototype build that was actually fun? No Capcom deserves the hate here.

Zen said:
They're run by CEOs that don't understand games, and only care about the dollars. They're only focused of the raw numbers with no understanding or appreciation for the industry itself.

According to Inafune.

Well that certainly wasn't a formal offer, and if it has happened, it's not something we'd hear about any time soon, if at all.
um, isn't that what CEO's are supposed to be like?

Arcblade

Banned
Jinfash said:
Oh man, the timing couldn't be more perfect. There's a lot of (newly) frustrated Legends' fans these couple of days. Get it out of your system, boys.

What do you need from us?

Photos of our PS1 boxes for 1 & 2?

Azure J

Seems like a whirlwind of the worst possible combinations of circumstances sealed this game's fate before any of us should have gotten hyped. Sad. :'(

Edit: For the folks that are still on the Inafune killed Capcom train of thought, while it's true that he spearheaded the whole "westrnization" mantra, he clearly meant something other than what we were thinking when he said as much, see the interview by 4gamer (I think it was?) right after leaving the company. (Having a hand in Clover's disbanding notwithstanding) Anything happening now is Capcom upper management not understanding gaming and lower management being salarymen not trying to shake the boat too much lest it capsize on them.

Riposte

captmcblack said:

I don't think there is any one man who gets respect from the board of old men that run Capcom. Maybe Itsuno, since he is getting to make his dream game in Dragon's Dogma, but I bet that was a huge pain in the ass too.

Kind of conflicted.

Wanting to leave the company yet finish your projects is sort of an iffy thing to ask...but Capcom should have been more open to negotiation, given his tenure.
Then again, they're really not obligated to comply when someone says they want to walk.

Laguna

Banned
As much as I like Inafunes games and he also seemed like to be a nice guy in interviews but he really seems to be delusional. He was responsible for some of Capcoms biggest financial losses with Lost Planet 2, Dark Void and Bionic Commando, he probably was even responsible for Ninja Theory getting to work on Devil May Cry (I know that this was announced after his departure), he also constantly complained about his own co-workers and Japanese developers in general, started the MML3 project and made it public without any approval. But he got still the nerve to go to his bosses and to tell them that he´ll only work for them if they hire his new found company... Sorry but the outcome was more than obvious especially after the recent flops he was responsible for.

I hope his new company gets a chance to make games with a decent budget, because even after all the mess he caused in his last two years at Capcom he had also his part on Capcoms good start in the beginning of this gen.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Still entirely on Capcom's side on this one.

Nobody cares about Mega Man Legends, except obviously fans of the first two games, of whom 80% are on GAF. It kinda looks like Inafune went "I want to make MML3 because I want to make it". Not exactly a clever position to take in business.

faridmon

Not surprised of how rubbish Capcom is. Too bad people will still buy thier milked fighting re-releases.

At least the sort of have a small redemption: Ghost Trick. But other wise: Piss off Capcom.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Capcom and Nintendo must be the 2 developpers that are both equally hated and loved after looking at posts/threads on GAF.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Inafune was very pro "LETS GO WESTERN", and responsible for some shitty titles so...

while this story is fucked up, i kinda dont feel that bad about Keiji firing.

GSR

I wonder, can anyone track down the original 4gamer interview? This seems a little too fanbaity.

Ellis Kim

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Inafune was very pro "LETS GO WESTERN", and responsible for some shitty titles so...

while this story is fucked up, i kinda dont feel that bad about Keiji firing.
lol wut

he quit, he wasn't fired.

qq more

Kilrogg said:
Still entirely on Capcom's side on this one.

Nobody cares about Mega Man Legends, except obviously fans of the first two games, of whom 80% are on GAF. It kinda looks like Inafune went "I want to make MML3 because I want to make it". Not exactly a clever position to take in business.
Not saying MML isn't niche but I doubt most of the MML fanbase are on GAF.

Arcblade

Banned
Jinfash said:
If your frustration is older than 3 days, then you're good to go.

Okay then.

My little brother has been down ever since they canceled it.

Screw you, Capcom - making a young man that sad!

I enjoyed the games, but he played the black off of them.

I'm just glad I convinced him to wait until more games were released for the 3DS, before getting one in anticipation of this game alone.

Capcom: fucking over Nintendo handheld sales since mid '11.

Azure J

Bisnic said:
Capcom and Nintendo must be the 2 developpers that are both equally hated and loved after looking at posts/threads on GAF.

It is kinda weird, isn't it? Though I don't think I totally agree with that.

alf717

Just give Inafune the series already since it is clear you are not going to do anything with it Capcom.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Infinite Justice said:
You could add some Monhun/Sony fans :p
thatsthejoke.gif

Edit:
Conversely, there's a lot of Capcom fans these days too! so I guess they balanced it out.

GSR

Okay, I'm looking through 4gamer and not finding anything about this. I'm starting to think it's fake.

Azure J

alf717 said:
Just give Inafune the series already since it is clear you are not going to do anything with it Capcom.

Whoa, let's not go that far. Capcom still has Inticreates, and they are the heart and soul of OG Megaman games.

Kacho

ShockingAlberto said:
I am not entirely sure I can blame Capcom for this one

"I quit your company publicly, but if you keep paying me money, I will keep making games that you have absolutely no confidence will sell" isn't the best elevator pitch I have ever heard.

Well said. It's smart business, folks.

Top Bottom