• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh and I don't yet have a keyboard yet, so anyone playing with me please be patient in the meantime (well, more patient since I am also a noob.)

Ken

It has keyboard support? Damn, I want a keyboard for my Wii now. Does USB work?
Yeah.

If you want to get by without having a keyboard, make use of the pre-set message system thing. You can enter in messages that can be quickly accessed in the in-game menu and fire them off. Some messages I used before getting a keyboard were things like hello, yes, no, setting a trap, monster can be captured, thanks, bye, and good job. Calling out that you're setting a trap can really help avoid wasting multiple traps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It has keyboard support? Damn, I want a keyboard for my Wii now. Does USB work?

USB only I'm pretty sure. Not like Wii has any other ports, and I don't think Bluetooth will fly. :p I've been told wireless USB keyboards work though (as long as it isn't the crappy Microsoft mouse/keyboard "hub" thing mine uses.)

Both wired/wireless USB keyboards should work. My Dinovo edge is actually bluetooth though, so I'd almost guess that bluetooth keyboards will also work as long as you have the receiver dongle.

Anyways Andrex, my tuesday/wednesday will be late this week, but thursday I most likely can get home a bit earlier than that. Just PM me or something if you want me to jump in and help you out. I usually never go online in MH unless I get a PM/IM on MSN or skype telling me to go on a hunt lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there a GAF MonHun guild/Steam group or something? To tell when we're all online lol. :p

If anyone here is on the US servers, I hunt with some friends ever Friday around 8:00 central time. If you search the name Khory, you'll probably find me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do I actually need the Book of Combos in my pouch or can I leave them in my box? Also, do they stack (like, if I have two Book of Combos I.)

Do I actually need the Book of Combos in my pouch or can I leave them in my box? Also, do they stack (like, if I have two Book of Combos I.)

No to stacking, you need them where you will do your combinations, so if you plan on combining during the hunt you'll need to drag a few along with you. Otherwise you can keep them in your box and combine there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cool, that's good news to both questions.

Also, holy crap capturing a Jaggi was fricking awesome! One of my best feelings this gen. And it wasn't because it was hard, it was easy. I think it felt so good because earlier, killing the Jaggi had proved surprisingly tougher than I had anticipated. I could cut that bastard to shred in under 5 minutes in the demo, but I guess that's what you get when you're defaulted to good gear.

So yeah, bagging a Jaggi after the whole town had hyped it up as being "OMG WAY TOUGHER" than killing one, I had to do a cheer and pelvic thrust when it happened.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I havent done a single mission yet so it's fine. Just enjoy swtor

I think you need at least a character before going online...

From one noob to another I'd suggest getting to 2-star before hopping online. The missions before that are all boring stuff better completed on your own...

Emitan

Oh, do the missions carry over? I've already cleared the first 2 stars of missions on Freedom Unite, and I don't want to solo them again ;_;

You only have to do certain key quests to progress to the next set of quests so don't feel like you have to do every menial collect-a-thon quest unless you're a completionist. They are marked on this list but beware of some story spoilers scattered in the bottom half of the list if you care about that sort of thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm a completionist so I will be doing all the quests. :p But I won't let that stop me from playing the newer quests, I'll just save the menial stuff for when I'm strapped for time or don't feel like prepping a bunch.

Also just to be sure, there's no penalty if you die in Mogi Woods, right?

Nope, no penalty in Moga Woods. Once you get access to the farm, you can do a collecting quest (or just Moga Woods) during the ingame daytime, sleep at your house during the ingame nighttime, and repeat to cycle the farm quickly for items. Even after you've beaten all the offline quests, you'll probably find yourself doing this every now and then to replenish certain items since the farm is offline only.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah cool. But honestly, the farm/mushroom farm/honey farm/bug farm stuff is more confusing to me than anything at the moment. At least with upgrades things are relatively straightforward.

Speaking of, the Switch Axe was just opened up, when does the Long Sword appear?

upandaway

Ah cool. But honestly, the farm/mushroom farm/honey farm/bug farm stuff is more confusing to me than anything at the moment. At least with upgrades things are relatively straightforward.

Speaking of, the Switch Axe was just opened up, when does the Long Sword appear?
Pretty late in. I don't remember the place but I got it roughly ~40 hours into my game

upandaway

Man I'm running off some fuzzy memory here but I think the Ludroth GS caps off at low damage and high elemental (which isn't that ideal for a GS). You might as well for for the highest damage which coincidentally has some convenient elemental.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well none of the other paths are open to me atm. :p But I'll switch when I'm able.

Wow, 8:00 already. I coulda' sworn I just looked at the clock and it said 7:40. I'm heading on now.
GG2BAB is my ID

Edit: Okay, on the Open server now. Valor 4, gate 40, city 40. Also, if the room is full just try sending me a message.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stupid egg carrying mission.
KuGsj.gif
I never broke any on the way but seriously, wtf kind of mission was that? Also: lameness at blocking the easy access routes making you go around.

SoulFist

I love the Monster Hunter series, and wanted to pick up either MH3rd HD or MH3rd Portable. Does anyone know the best place to buy it? I've never really imported a game before.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Awesome. I wanna rip all my Wii games. (Well, I wanna play them all in Dolphin but just having Tri ripped should be an improvement.) Loading times get better yeah?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OH MAN

Fighting Royal Ludroth for 40 minutes. Already died once (stupid confusion!)

Used all my potions and supplies. Down to about half health.

WIIMOTE FRICKING DIES

Pressing all buttons on it, the lights don't even blink!

Rip condom off, tear off back cover and remove and insert battery. Press buttons again. If it even blips alive for a second I can press Home and pause the game.

NOTHING.

Scramble around, find old Wiimote.

WON'T SYNC (from an old Wii)

From sweat and grime that playtime accrues, the battery cover is sealed on like glue. SLAM on the table. SLAM SLAM. Finally I pry it off, and press the sync button on both it and the Wii.

All the while, my character floats haplessly in the water as Cha Cha distracts the monster. When it does attack me, I'm wielding the Great Sword so I auto-defend.

OMG

It's synced!!

Slam the CC Pro cable into it, kill Luddy, collect spoils LIKE A BOSS.

Top Bottom