• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

plc268

Hmm, it would be nice to play some PSP games with the ability to remap controls, because as it is, MGS Portable Ops and some other games are nearly impossible to play on a PSP Go when it requires you to use both the nub and d-pad at the same time.

I had no idea that PSP emulation was so far along. Cool! The resolution increase and texture filtering should make a huge difference.

Clevinger

nincompoop said:
I had no idea that PSP emulation was so far along. Cool! The resolution increase and texture filtering should make a huge difference.

Most games I've tried have really horrible performance. I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Ydahs

Wow, didn't even know there was a PSP emulator out there.

Probably went with Java because it's easier to prototype with and get quicker results. Though the issue with that is of course speed and efficiency.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was wondering what the hell was going on with PSP emulation, why it was taking so long to get something out of the gate... this is very very cool.

If Sony was smart, they would buy these guys out and have them build a PSP emu for PS3, then allow for PSN-bought games to be played on PS3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks. I'm not likely to use this because I have a modded PSP so RemoteJoy Lite is going to be a better option for me in general, but I really had no idea PSP emulation had gotten past title screens and opening movies.

Actually, when me and some of the other mods were talking about this earlier today, charlequin, duckroll, and Nirolak were all surprised to see it get this far. I think Minsc was the only person who even had a clue that PSP emulation was coming down the pipeline. I'd be willing to wager that most of the rest of GAF didn't have a clue either!

desu

Stumpokapow said:
Actually, when me and some of the other mods were talking about this earlier today, charlequin, duckroll, and Nirolak were all surprised to see it get this far. I think Minsc was the only person who even had a clue that PSP emulation was coming down the pipeline. I'd be willing to wager that most of the rest of GAF didn't have a clue either!

Huh really? Its been around for quite some time, its problem is just that its nothing like Dolphin or any other Emulator that actually runs most stuff really well. Tried quite a few psp emulators over the years, but what they could actually run was/is usually rather limited.

desu said:
Huh really? Its been around for quite some time, its problem is just that its nothing like Dolphin or any other Emulator that actually runs most stuff really well. Tried quite a few psp emulators over the years, but what they could actually run was/is usually rather limited.

Well, I think that's more of what he means. Some may have known of it's existence or it eventually happening but I don't think most knew it was this far along.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stumpokapow said:
Thanks. I'm not likely to use this because I have a modded PSP so RemoteJoy Lite is going to be a better option for me in general, but I really had no idea PSP emulation had gotten past title screens and opening movies.

DS emulation is also very far along on PC, I know most people I know didn't know about that one either. In fact, most 3D games run perfect AFAIK. Not sure if it has better rendering tho

Dolphin has definitely spoiled me however, wasn't too impressed with the videos shown here :(

Teetris said:
DS emulation is also very far along on PC, I know most people I know didn't know about that one either. In fact, most 3D games run perfect AFAIK. Not sure if it has better rendering tho

Dolphin has definitely spoiled me however, wasn't too impressed with the videos shown here :(

How does touch input work for DS games?

Stumpokapow said:

Myself and a few others mentioned it in a topic awhile back reckoning such general emu matters, but yeah things seem to have picked up quite a bit given that wasn't even so many months back.

Java isn't quite the hobbling cripple, at least it doesn't have to be, as many might reckon. I'd suppose it a case of "how it is done/skill" alongside random happenstance. Java 7&8 ARE due in the not distant future after a long while of general stagnation though, IIRC, so things will only ever improve from here barring some sort of catastrophically stupid decisions/regressions. Hell, the new Flash/AIR stuff coming from Adobe may well upset the table on some fronts in terms of performance gains in an absolute sense.

Cobra84

I've had more problems getting the GUI to behave than actually running games. Is it really even a GUI if the menus disappear and ignore your commands?

Host Samurai said:
What are the chances this can/will run on modded Xbox 1's?
Run well enough to be useable? 0%.

Suairyu

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
I know what it means. Now, knowing that, most people on this board want to play games at a framerate that is at least equal to playing it on the psp, if not at an even faster fps. For most, this is not "playable" enough, if you will.
That's not how emulation works, dude. You want exactly the same framerate else the game will be physically running slow/fast.

jediyoshi

y9unL.jpg

YN1nv.jpg

njUCE.jpg

Cobra84 said:
I've had more problems getting the GUI to behave than actually running games. Is it really even a GUI if the menus disappear and ignore your commands?

It is when it responds to your input as you interact with it.

Chairhome

jediyoshi said:
http://i.imgur.com/y9unL.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YN1nv.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/njUCE.jpg[img]

It is when it responds to your input as you interact with it.[/QUOTE]
Just wondering, are these your pics? They look awesome but I'm wondering what the framerate is. And what is the last game?

jediyoshi

Chairhome said:
Just wondering, are these your pics? They look awesome but I'm wondering what the framerate is. And what is the last game?

Yeah. Frame rate is usually hit or miss, some games run in the teens while others are at full speed. Last shot is of Brave Story: New Traveler. I fancy whenever in an emulator you're able to make out details that are indiscernible when playing a game natively.

I've played around with this emulator a bit. It's promising, but still needs work. A lot of games have framerate issues and there is still some all around jankiness. Right now I'd still rather play these games on my psp. DS emulation is pretty good though, much more advanced than this.

Fuck yeah, Prinny just booted! Now, does it support using controllers natively or do I have to use joy2key or something?

Music doesn't work :( but at least it runs at full speed.

Not really working for me. First time I run it it works ok but after that it allways starts up in black fullscreen and doesn't work. BBS also didn't run too well, FPS was like 10.

Quixzlizx

Teetris said:

While the Wii is super-sub HD, most games are still generally higher-res to start with than 480x272.

Suairyu said:
That's not how emulation works, dude. You want exactly the same framerate else the game will be physically running slow/fast.

Not if the game had framerate issues to begin with. Sure, the bar is first set at getting the emulator to render the game as close to the original experience as possible. The ideal situation would call for the games to run smoother if at all possible.

Subscribing, and keeping an eye on this. I have no way of getting CFW on my PSP, but I still like hearing about stuff like this.
Chairhome said:
Trying it out now. Is the only way to use a game pad Xpadder? And it pauses every time I go to new game on duodecim.
MotionInJoy works wonders for everything I play on my laptop. It has support for 360 controllers and Bluetooth stuff, too.

Chairhome

So I got my 360 pad working, I can get past "New Game" selection in Dissidia, but all the text is missing. Also, when I try to change the resolution, it changes my whole screen's resolution. I guess I shouldn't try to supersample and just apply AA? I started KH BBS, too, and it wouldn't get past the main menu (I was able to select difficulty). Bleh. I might rip some other games I have to try em out.

jediyoshi

HaIH9.jpg

L92I5.jpg

z9X2Q.jpg

Chairhome said:
Trying it out now. Is the only way to use a game pad Xpadder? And it pauses every time I go to new game on duodecim.

F11. It should recognize your gamepad under the device list, then you can just bind from there. Also, whenever dialogue prompts pop up during the game itself, you can use the gamepad to select through them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
charlequin said:
Not really, no.

Do we know if the Vita is gonna add AA at all to older games? AA + 4x the PSP resolution at perfect pixel scaling + much better screen could look close than you'd think. They need AA big time though.

Brettison said:
Do we know if the Vita is gonna add AA at all to older games?

I'm pretty sure they're just rendered at PSP resolution and then upscaled. If it's anything like most BC it's low-level emulation and/or hardware and there won't be any way to really improve the graphics like you can with a high-level PC emulator.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Mouse, and it isn't as janky as you'd think, unless you were stuck with a laptop touchpad. you can also set certain points of the second screen to keyboard/button

Ya, but I'm assuming you have to use the keyboard for all controls right? Which still doesn't sound that bad.

Suairyu

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Not if the game had framerate issues to begin with. Sure, the bar is first set at getting the emulator to render the game as close to the original experience as possible. The ideal situation would call for the games to run smoother if at all possible.
No, you don't understand.

You change the framerate in an emulated game and everything changes. The music will distort as it is forced to be played faster/slower, the internal clock counts down faster/slower (making timed games almost impossible), the animations will cycle through faster/slower.

You aren't emulating a game, you're emulating a console. Increasing/decreasing the framerate means the console itself is running faster/slower.

What you're talking about requires a port, like with the PS3 HD collections.

Is there any way to not be stuck in full screen mode with this? The first time I used it it ran in a window, but I used it again just now and it's stuck in full screen for some reason and the only way for me to go back to a window is if I press F11 or F12 to bring up the configure menus (but when I close them it goes back to full screen again).

jediyoshi

nincompoop said:
Is there any way to not be stuck in full screen mode with this? The first time I used it it ran in a window, but I used it again just now and it's stuck in full screen for some reason and the only way for me to go back to a window is if I press F11 or F12 to bring up the configure menus (but when I close them it goes back to full screen again).

alt+enter

also make sure the checkbox "Start JPCSP in Full-Screen Exclusive Mode..." is unchecked in the Display tab of the config window.

Lesiroth

charlequin said:
I'm pretty sure they're just rendered at PSP resolution and then upscaled. If it's anything like most BC it's low-level emulation and/or hardware and there won't be any way to really improve the graphics like you can with a high-level PC emulator.
I'd have to agree, seeing as that Yoshida wouldn't come out and say it outright that it will be 100% compatible. I'd imagine they'd be content with just running most games without glitches or bugs.

Top Bottom