• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

jediyoshi said:
alt+enter

also make sure the checkbox "Start JPCSP in Full-Screen Exclusive Mode..." is unchecked in the Display tab of the config window.
Could've sworn I tried that.

BTW, I got Chains of Olympus into the game but it's only running at like 3 fps. Is this normal? EDIT - Obviously not, the shot in the OP says it's running at 43. My specs shouldn't be an issue, I've got a 2600k and a 6850.

nincompoop said:
Could've sworn I tried that.

BTW, I got Chains of Olympus into the game but it's only running at like 3 fps. Is this normal? EDIT - Obviously not, the shot in the OP says it's running at 43. My specs shouldn't be an issue, I've got a 2600k and a 6850.
After loading a game, I needed to click "Run" for it to actually start up.

Waiting a couple months for less shitty performance, but I'm quite impressed. I didn't even know there was a PSP emulation scene until yesterday
lol.gif

elty

When I enabled shaders the MPEG video couldn't display probably.

Looks like this is very demanding on the CPU. My C2D 2.13Ghz doesn't cut it.

Aru

Geez, Soul Calibur BD looks great on the PSP but looks like ass on that emulator (less jaggies but it shows all the flaws of the graphics). I thought it was on par with Soul Calibur 3 by judging the games on their respective screens/TV, but it seems that SC3 is a lot better in the graphics department.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Those look neat. I'm curious how Ys Seven, Trails in the Sky, and Star Ocean look like in the PSP.

Zoc

Suairyu said:
No, you don't understand.

You change the framerate in an emulated game and everything changes. The music will distort as it is forced to be played faster/slower, the internal clock counts down faster/slower (making timed games almost impossible), the animations will cycle through faster/slower.

You aren't emulating a game, you're emulating a console. Increasing/decreasing the framerate means the console itself is running faster/slower.

What you're talking about requires a port, like with the PS3 HD collections.

That's not true anymore. Older systems like the SNES were programmed that way, but plenty of games from the N64, at least, ran at much better framerates in emulators than on the original hardware. Goldeneye split-screen was a famous example. I have no doubt the PSP is the same.

jediyoshi

ie1Ju.jpg

i3Hbb.jpg

UuN3K.jpg

G0WWu.jpg

Zoc said:
That's not true anymore. Older systems like the SNES were programmed that way, but plenty of games from the N64, at least, ran at much better framerates in emulators than on the original hardware. Goldeneye split-screen was a famous example. I have no doubt the PSP is the same.

There's a difference between increasing frame rate (which is what Freedom originally said) and smoothing out existing frame rate hiccups (what his follow up said). Running a game that has a locked frame rate higher than what it should be running at will result in the game speed running faster than normal.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hazaro said:
Wow those GOW shots looks good, esp at 40fps or better.
And I can map stuff to a 360 pad right?
Yes you can as I just tested the config. Mind you the link in the OP for that custom launcher requires a PW so I had to hunt it myself. I would also recommend the latest SVN build off EMURCR.

The only thing I can't figure out is out to make the resolution scale higher like in the screens provided. I get only native res or it's really blurry. What option am I missing?

ZoddGutts said:
I say it's on par with how most Wii games look. Not bad imo.
You might need to get your eyes checked.

Anyway, do any games run with glitch-free audio? Prinny doesn't play music at all for me, and in Lumines the music randomly plays for like a second once in a while before dropping out for like the next 10 seconds.

ZoddGutts said:
Your right looks slightly better than most Wii games that I own.
Only slightly better than Wii games? Those crisp textures and smooth polygonal edges make Crysis on Ultra settings look like E.T. on the Atari 2600!

Suairyu said:
No, you don't understand.

You change the framerate in an emulated game and everything changes. The music will distort as it is forced to be played faster/slower, the internal clock counts down faster/slower (making timed games almost impossible), the animations will cycle through faster/slower.

You aren't emulating a game, you're emulating a console. Increasing/decreasing the framerate means the console itself is running faster/slower.

What you're talking about requires a port, like with the PS3 HD collections.

Not quite. What he's suggesting here is that people want the emulator to run the games at the framerate that the game is capped at.

So, for example with Mega Man Powered Up, that runs at 30FPS with slowdown on the original hardware, this emulator could just run the game at a solid 30FPS without any slowdown. He's not suggesting that MMPU should be run at 60FPS in the emulator, but rather that the emulator could remove slowdown from games that suffer from it (just like every other console emulator does with 3D polygon games)

This would also mean that the GOW PSP games would run at a solid 60FPS in the emulator, because the game was originally designed to run at 60FPS (and the game would just slow down when the hardware couldn't cope)

BTW, Tekken 6 PSP looks stonkingly good! It holds up much better than Soul Calibur Broken Destiny!

M3d10n

ZoddGutts said:
That Soulcalibur shots looks better than Soulcalibur Legends for Wii.
But they look worse than SC2 on the GameCube. Oh wait, I forgot, the Wii is weaker than the GameCube. My bad.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes you can as I just tested the config. Mind you the link in the OP for that custom launcher requires a PW so I had to hunt it myself. I would also recommend the latest SVN build off EMURCR.

The only thing I can't figure out is out to make the resolution scale higher like in the screens provided. I get only native res or it's really blurry. What option am I missing?
If I grab r2322 from EmuCR will I still need to grab the launcher linked in the OP? I don't want to sign up for another forum just for one download if I don't have to.

jediyoshi

Nuclear Muffin said:
Not quite. What he's suggesting here is that people want the emulator to run the games at the framerate that the game is capped at.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I know what it means. Now, knowing that, most people on this board want to play games at a framerate that is at least equal to playing it on the psp, if not at an even faster fps. For most, this is not "playable" enough, if you will.

AdawgDaFAB said:
If I grab r2322 from EmuCR will I still need to grab the launcher linked in the OP? I don't want to sign up for another forum just for one download if I don't have to.
Well I signed up to get that launcher, however the program acts up for me. It seemed to work fine the first time I booted it but afterwards it always boots to a black screen and the only thing I can do is press F11 or F12 to open controls / config menus. When I press ok on those it goes back to the black screen.

I can start a game during this but, again, I get a black screen as soon as I close either of those submenus. Anything I can do to fix this?

squall23

Negator said:
I'd imagine that sprite games wouldn't look all that amazing, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?
Quick, somebody get some screenshots of SRWZ2, that'd be the ultimate 2D stress test.

Josh7289

Whooooooaaaa, I had no idea PSP emulation had come so far. This is exciting.
3AQmK.gif

Maybe I'll try dumping some games sometime. My PC should be decent enough to at least run them.

It's good that this is happening. Something happened to my PSP.

Question for those who have this running well: what are your specs?

butanebob

Neo Member
but plenty of games from the N64, at least, ran at much better framerates in emulators than on the original hardware.

Nope - only with specialized hacked builds of the emu, and then most games wouldn't work or behave incorrectly.

jediyoshi

Gvaz said:
Man these screenshots look like ass, especially that FF game. So sad :(

There isn't a screenshot in this thread that isn't riddled with graphical bugs. There's also a lack of AA and limited upresing for now.

Has anyone tried the Syphon Filter games on this yet? I really want to get back into the series (and heard the PSP ones were great), but my PSP is in pretty bad shape right now. Should I find a way to buy them and them rip them to my computer and use this, or should I just wait for the Vita and download them?

Woe is me.

Bulzeeb

whooa psp emulation at last =D now I don't have to worry that much about what to do to play my games in the long future after the dead of my psp hope this improves like the ps2 or dolphin emus :p

Zenith

Banned
So Sonicstage may have been more crucial then what I first intimated. I just installed it and a lot of the crashes and slowdowns seemed to be the games trying to decode music files it couldn't. Now PE3 runs at full speed.

IrishNinja

great OP!

AwakenedCloud said:
I saw a vid of a guy playing BBS on this emulator, anyone here that can share personal experiences?

came to ask this as well, with 2 just coming out and all - i love my PSP, but if i can do this on a larger screen, i will.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
hat's not true anymore. Older systems like the SNES were programmed that way, but plenty of games from the N64, at least, ran at much better framerates in emulators than on the original hardware. Goldeneye split-screen was a famous example. I have no doubt the PSP is the same.
You DO realize that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are, perhaps, the only two N64 games in which some timing changes can allow it to run smoother? With virtually every other game, the same change in settings results in a speed increase (game runs too fast).

-MB-

I'm confused on how to get AA working on thsi emulator, Setting it in jpcsp itself does nothing,
still get jaggy as hell gfx, can't force it in nvidia settings because it does nto accept .bat files.
Forcing it on Javaw.exe does nothing either, still jaggies everywhere.

Vlaphor

You DO realize that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are, perhaps, the only two N64 games in which some timing changes can allow it to run smoother? With virtually every other game, the same change in settings results in a speed increase (game runs too fast).

I remember playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on an emulator and being amazed at just how smooth it ran. Far better frame rate than on the console and it didn't feel at all like it was too fast.

SparkTR

So, why am I just hearing about this things existence? I've got around 10 UMD laying around with my PSP missing, gonna give this a whirl.

Finally got around to getting BBS out and trying it on the PC (prompted by the HD rumour thread. I've had BBS for ages and never enjoyed playing it because I feel the control scheme is broken on the PSP). The result? Quite pleasing. I've started out on Aqua's side and haven't hit any show stoppers. There are some graphics problems to work out, but playing it with a dual shock with the camera mapped to the right stick is so much better.

bbs13dufs.png

bbs4bhus8.png

Top Bottom