• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Haha, they manage to rework the credits with some half-terribad music in lieu of actually fixing the buggy music engine for the rest of the game. Bravo, Crytek. :lol

All in all, though, bugs notwithstanding, this is a goddamn great console port, and a goddamn great game.

ACH1LL3US

Crunched said:
Maybe because 2 didn't have as much landscape to get through?

Gotta say it's strange seeing someone with a Halo avatar complain about movement speed.

Hahaha... that was a good one :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Am I playing this game wrong? Are there going to be any upgrades to your character later on in the game? I'm walking at a snail's pace for some reason (Crysis 2 was never like this), the shooting feels janky and unrewarding, and the AI is horrible (I cloak a mile away from enemies and crawl my way towards them but they just know exactly where I am at all times and yell "ENEMY").

Hell, even in the very beginning when you go into a "cutscene" and told to use your binoculars for the first time to spot enemies, as soon as I got into that cutscene to spot people, the boat in the ocean just started shooting at me right away, lol.

Crysis 2 was my first experience with the Crysis franchise and I feel like that game was a lot better (although noticably more linear). I'm just assuming these issues don't exist on the PC version?

Kimosabae said:
How does this game compare to Crysis 2 on console, graphically?

Apples and Oranges due to the way they are made and how the setting is done. However, I'd say Crysis 2 is the better looking game overall asset for asset. It comes down to preference of setting.

feel

Crunched said:
Gotta say it's strange seeing someone with a Halo avatar complain about movement speed.
Halo 3 avatar, that game is slower than it should be (halo 1 and 2 did it right, Reach sucks ass), but you still move around at least twice as fast as on this Crysis when not sprinting.

mbmonk

Domino Theory said:
Am I playing this game wrong? Are there going to be any upgrades to your character later on in the game? I'm walking at a snail's pace for some reason (Crysis 2 was never like this), the shooting feels janky and unrewarding, and the AI is horrible (I cloak a mile away from enemies and crawl my way towards them but they just know exactly where I am at all times and yell "ENEMY").

Hell, even in the very beginning when you go into a "cutscene" and told to use your binoculars for the first time to spot enemies, as soon as I got into that cutscene to spot people, the boat in the ocean just started shooting at me right away, lol.

Crysis 2 was my first experience with the Crysis franchise and I feel like that game was a lot better (although noticably more linear). I'm just assuming these issues don't exist on the PC version?

I played the PC version so I assume it's the same.

Your suit should have a Speed mode. It will increase your walking and sprinting speed while in that mode.

In terms of enemies seeing you.. are you playing it on a high level of difficulty? When I cloaked I would always come from behind or the side. Not sure on the "ENEMY" yelling front.

Don't be afraid to turn the difficulty setting down and just having fun toying with the AI. It can be great fun killing the AI in new and interesting ways.

I enjoyed putting the suit in strength mode and then throwing a dead body up in the air for target practice, etc.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I tried it on my dad's PC, but M+KB is the work of the devil, so I only lasted about 10 minutes. Can't wait to play it with a pad.

You know, properly.

*ducks*

;P
Oh no, you didn't!

*Throws shoe*

KB+M: the way FPSs not called Doom are meant to be played™

TheOddOne

Domino Theory said:

Thank god I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Domino Theory said:

Yeah I didn't experience that on the PC version.

Nizz

Monarch said:
Any noticable difference between 1080p and forced 720p on PS3 ? Remember KZ2 looked better in 1080p :)
I'd love to know this too. I've been playing Crysis 2 again in anticipation of playing Crysis, and I've left my PS3 checked at 720p as the highest resolution since C2 seemed to look/perform better. I wish the game would default to 720p itself.

Duallusion

I'm guessing we'll be seeing lots of GOD re-releases like Crysis, when next-gen comes. 1080p-ed this-gen games and so on. And I don't think I'll complain much...

Just finished the tank level, enjoyable stuff. I hope second half won't take away the ability to play the game as a head-shooting high-tech sniper - it never gets boring dropping them koreans from far away.

Still didn't get the achievement for killing 10 guys by throwing objects in them and I'm pretty sure I've already killed more then ten enemies this way - with barrels and such. Glitched or am I doing something wrong?

Newbie OT question: how do I hide possible spoilers? CODE tag?

Duallusion said:
I'm guessing we'll be seeing lots of GOD re-releases like Crysis, when next-gen comes. 1080p-ed this-gen games and so on. And I don't think I'll complain much...

Just finished the tank level, enjoyable stuff. I hope second half won't take away the ability to play the game as a head-shooting high-tech sniper - it never gets boring dropping them koreans from far away.

Still didn't get the achievement for killing 10 guys by throwing objects in them and I'm pretty sure I've already killed more then ten enemies this way - with barrels and such. Glitched or am I doing something wrong?

Newbie OT question: how do I hide possible spoilers? CODE tag?

I got the achievement yesterday.

Most soldiers take repeated poundings from oil drums. I noticed that I had to hit them 3 times or so on Hard in order to kill them. Make sure they are dead (ie. gun drops on the ground and isn't still connected to their hands.)

Domino Theory said:
the AI is horrible (I cloak a mile away from enemies and crawl my way towards them but they just know exactly where I am at all times and yell "ENEMY").

You think that's bad, play the original Far Cry on PC. =P

For the ai in this I just operate under the impression that if you can see them and aren't cloaked, then they've automatically seen you. I've mainly just been playing this like some quasi-MGS game with super sight ai. Abusing the cloaking to get around(Taking cover behind something or going prone in a bush when you need to recharge) and avoiding all firefights unless absolutely necessary. Even when you engage in shooting it seems best to just use decloak=>kill a couple enemies really quick=>cloak and find a new position=>repeat.

I'm not too far after you have to
take out those two tanks
so I don't know how much longer I can get away with playing like that though.

Red

Domino Theory said:

The boat sucks, yeah that part at least was also poor on PC. But enemies shouldn't see you cloaked unless you make noise or create movement, or get right in someone's face. The boat and helicopters are exceptions.

Not sure why movement speed has been reduced. You moved a lot fAster in 1 than 2 on PC.

You're not playing on delta because enemies are speaking English. You shouldn't be having any issues with stealth.

Dacon

Banned
I don't have the money to pick it up right now, so I'll just ask here.

Is it still possible to kill enemies by throwing crates and oil drums at enemies in strength mode?

Or is it like that bullshit in Crysis 2 where you have to keep pummeling them.

Woorloog

Banned
Dacon said:

Is it still possible to kill enemies by throwing crates and oil drums at enemies in strength mode?

Pick up something, be suitably close to an enemy, hold X (or whatever it is on PS) to throw whatever you're holding.
Frankly it is quite useless due the slow movement speed and lack of range. But then it wasn't very useful in PC version either, even with faster movement.
However, it can be cool at times. I threw a barrel at two KPA soldiers and they both flew to a wall that crashed down.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Dacon said:

Yup, power throw's are pretty much guaranteed insta-deaths with a reasonably sized object (barrels, crates).

Dacon

Banned
Woorloog said:
But then it wasn't very useful in PC version either, even with faster movement.

Funny, I find it pretty damn useful myself. There's the usual tactics, tagging the item with some C4 and tossing it in the heat of a moment, or just snatching up any decent sized item and rolling a guy over with it for a laugh.

Thanks for the answer guys.

Woorloog

Banned
Dacon said:
Funny, I find it pretty damn useful myself. There's the usual tactics, tagging the item with some C4 and tossing it in the heat of a moment, or just snatching up any decent sized item and rolling a guy over with it for a laugh.

Thanks for the answer guys.
Never thought of this yet i did the same thing in Red Faction Guerrila.
Of course C4 seems to be rather rare in Crysis.

But as i said, slow movement makes throwing stuff hard as the range is rather short. Sprint (it is not really a speed mode, merely sprint) is quite fast and lasts long and you can sprint while carrying an object and that can make throwing stuff useful but afterwards if you have low energy, with or without armor mode (slows movement, doesn't it?) you're a sitting duck.

Bought and downloaded this yesterday, but am yet to play it.

Question: can I pick up a dude and throw him through a building/shack?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
mickcenary said:
Question: can I pick up a dude and throw him through a building/shack?

Absolutely, granted objects break like they do in the PC version.

edit - well, he won't literally go through the shack, but he'll smash into it and it'll collapse over him

Snuggler said:
Absolutely, granted objects break like they do in the PC version.

edit - well, he won't literally go through the shack, but he'll smash into it and it'll collapse over him

Ha. Awesome-o. Yeah, going literally through the shack would be quite lame; as long as he impacts it in a realistic and satisfying manner, then it's all good.

I'm quite excited to play it, seeing as I enjoyed Crysis 2 quite a bit. How are the shooting mechanics in comparison? Are they as "meaty"?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stallion Free said:
The lighting is nowhere near as atmospheric and the textures look a lot worse than I remember (I replayed the level on PC about 2 months ago).

Shame. That level rocks. Too bad I dont have access to a good PC anymore. I never hated the aliens so Crysis was awesome all the way through.

Ogs

My verdict - Its Crysis, on console. Simple as that really. Everythings pretty much the same gameplay wise (thankfully), they havent really cut anything, graphics downgrade was expected but still looks very nice, and its now relatively comfortable to play on the 360 pad compared to PC Crysis pad controls.

Highly recommend it to anyone who hasnt played Crysis at all.

But im still not a fan of the new Armour/Cloak toggles taken from Crysis 2. Just feels wrong not having the control like i do in Crysis 1 PC, feels like im driving an automatic vs manual.

Woorloog

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
What difficulty are people playing on?
Played on normal and i found this somewhat harder than other FPSes on normal. Positive thing IMO, as long as Delta won't be ridiculously frustrating... (Think Halo 2 Sniper Jackals).

bhlaab

Woorloog said:
Played on normal and i found this somewhat harder than other FPSes on normal. Positive thing IMO, as long as Delta won't be ridiculously frustrating... (Think Halo 2 Sniper Jackals).

I usually don't go for the whole "YOU GOTTA PLAY IT ON LEGENDARY" thing but Crysis is really one of the few games that gets a whole lot better on Delta. It doesn't so much make things more difficult as it does force you to play smarter.

That said, I don't know how the Delta experience would translate to consoles. Being stuck with the Crysis 2 nanosuit controls is a major hinderance.

bhlaab

Blue Ninja said:
Slow movement. :lol

It really feels like Nomad's got two speeds: slow-motion and speeding bullet.

Yeah, you're meant to have a walk and a sprint. Turning on speed mode is supposed to give you a minor passive boost to your walk speed (and crouchwalk and crawl etc) and a supersprint.

This version cuts out the passive mode and the normal sprint altogether so yeah you do have no middle ground. They really screwed the pooch on the nanosuit controls imo especially since it's not UNHEARD OF for console games to have a radial menu!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I always switched to maximum speed as a default since the passive speed boost was nice. I loved speed mode, shame they axed it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
mickcenary said:
Any word on how the gunplay compares to C2? I found C2's gunplay to be quite satisfying and "oomphy".

I've only played a couple hours of Crysis 2 so far, but the gunplay felt quite similar to C1. Enemies soak up a bit of damage before going down, but the weapons feel good and headshots are satisfying.

onken

I'm up to the tank level on Delta. It's good but considering you die in about 2 bullets I basically don't even try to shoot people any more. Stealth, pause, stealth, pause, press button, stealth, pause.

jackdoe

onken said:
I'm up to the tank level on Delta. It's good but considering you die in about 2 bullets I basically don't even try to shoot people any more. Stealth, pause, stealth, pause, press button, stealth, pause.
Haha. Until they force an enemy encounter on you where you have to fight.

Duallusion

DeathIsTheEnd said:
With SPOILER.

Thanks!

Digital-Hero said:
Most soldiers take repeated poundings from oil drums. I noticed that I had to hit them 3 times or so on Hard in order to kill them. Make sure they are dead (ie. gun drops on the ground and isn't still connected to their hands.)

Aaand thanks!

Just woke up and I'm going straight back into the game. It seems I have no life:/

mickcenary said:
Is it really that bad? I've already made the purchase, but this is worrying.

No it isn't that bad. I didn't even notice it until it was mentioned in the thread. Besides, you can run in stealth, armor mode, and after you burned through your speed boost. Most of the time you are in stealth and creeping anyway.

mickcenary said:
Is it really that bad? I've already made the purchase, but this is worrying.

It doesn't bother me. I've been having a great time playing on the 360. I played the first two levels on PC a while back, but this is still a fantastic experience.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Just finished the harbour area on the PS3 version and having a great time. In my nostalgia though, I forgot how sucky some of the weapons are in Crysis. What Crysis 2 lost in wide open environments it made up in meaty weapons (and the suit upgrade system). Aside from the sniper rifle none of the weapons feel like they pack a punch. I really loved the hammer and grendel in particular. I hope Crysis 3 is a hybrid of the two games strengths, I think my mind would explode.

Top Bottom