• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Betty

Banned
i was able to marathon the show through the first 3 arcs before I caught up and watched the rest in real time. It was an awesome experience to marathon them like that. I really wonder how different the experience had been if I'd been able to marathon the entire thing.

Just so sad how such a great series is stagnating like this. it deserves to live a long life.

I actually thought it was still ongoing when I started, that new episodes were on the way. To discover otherwise was just depressing.

I really hate the fact that there will be no more HxH.
and no, I will not get my hopes up
I hate life

The manga is still going, so who knows, maybe it'll pick up again.

Also just my two cents, but all I heard before watching this was 'watch out for the Ant arc, the show gets bad/slow there' yet I thought the Chimera Ant arc was the best arc by far.

Chimera Ant arc > Yorknew > Election Arc > Greed Island

Manga spoilers
And the Dark Continent Arc has the makings to be great and terrifying.

Goddamn it, Togashi, you're worst than the GRRM.

Daingurse

Finished all 148 episodes in under a month, that's surreal, I can take months just to watch a 12 part series.

Hands down best anime I've seen so far, how the creator made two of my all time favorite, must watch binge shows in Yu Yu and this is a marvel.

Togashi is the fucking man, that's all I can say. Was just watching YYH on BLuray the other night with my brother too, love that show. HxH 2011 is probably my favorite Shounen anime period though. It made me feel like a fucking kid watching DBZ again.

Chimera Ant arc > Yorknew > Election Arc > Greed Island

Manga spoilers
And the Dark Continent Arc has the makings to be great and terrifying.

Goddamn it, Togashi, you're worst than the GRRM.

Helios knows what's up.

Dark Continent was building up to something incredible, damn your back Togashi!

Rootbeer

Banned
I actually thought it was still ongoing when I started, that new episodes were on the way. To discover otherwise was just depressing.

The manga is still going, so who knows, maybe it'll pick up again.

Also just my two cents, but all I heard before watching this was 'watch out for the Ant arc, the show gets bad/slow there' yet I thought the Chimera Ant arc was the best arc by far.

Well watching it in real time, week by week, I can see how it might seem slow because it takes its time.

But like I said, I wonder how different it would be if I had marathoned it. I think it wouldn't have felt so drawn out.

Personally I only had maybe 2 episodes where I felt like "would they just move on to the next plot point in this arc already?" -- but I had already read all the manga by that point, wonder if that had much to do with it.

Betty

Banned
Well watching it in real time, week by week, I can see how it might seem slow because it takes its time.

But like I said, I wonder how different it would be if I had marathoned it. I think it wouldn't have felt so drawn out.

Personally I only had maybe 2 episodes where I felt like "would they just move on to the next plot point in this arc already?" -- but I had already read all the manga by that point, wonder if that had much to do with it.

That absolutely makes sense, while I never had a problem with how they stretched out some of the later Ant arc episodes, I could definitely see how irritating it could be to have the show progress so slowly week by week.

Helios knows what's up.

Dark Continent was building up to something incredible, damn your back Togashi!
It looks like it is going to be dense. Ging and his rivalry with the rat guy and then all of the stuff going on with the Zodiacs and Netero's son. And the princes. And Kurapika back in the mix. This is not including that the Dark Continent is home to all sorts of fucked up shit.

I kind of wish he could outline the stuff and give it to anime people or just come out with a volume every year.

There were a couple where it felt slow,. I forget which episode it is, but it felt like they added filler to drag out an event by an episode. Probably something to do with Gon. But they hit all of the right notes and knocked it out of the park with the ending and all of the feels.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Togashi will not continue the Manga guys. Just lose hope.
and no, I don't consider 3 chapters a year a continuation.

Well since I read the manga in March 2007 he finished one major arc then moved onto a smaller arc and now he's working on building up another big one again. All in the space of 8 years which is about only a years worth of chapters, he's getting there.

Dark_castle

What exactly is Togashi doing right now besides slacking his ass off playing Dragon Quest? Will we be able to see the end of Dark Continent arc before 2020?

faridmon

Well since I read the manga in March 2007 he finished one major arc then moved onto a smaller arc and now he's working on building up another big one again. All in the space of 8 years which is about only a years worth of chapters, he's getting there.

You are very optimistic, indeed.

The fcat that he stated that his new chapters would continue and ended abruptly, made me really disappointed.

Torraz

So, I am considering marathoning the entire anime. Would that be advisible, or is it better to stay away, because the manga is ongoing (or well stagnating, judging by the posts in this thread...).

Moaradin

So, I am considering marathoning the entire anime. Would that be advisible, or is it better to stay away, because the manga is ongoing (or well stagnating, judging by the posts in this thread...).

Watch the anime. It's fantastic and the ending is good considering the manga is still ongoing.

Kurtofan

Unless you're ready to wait a decade, watch the anime

Daingurse

tRw52Su.jpg

Nibel

Sure, it's never a bad idea to watch one of the best shounen animes of all time.

Nightbird

Do it. It's the best Anime you are going to see for a long Time.

And i also don't get why Toshagi doesn't hire someone younger to do the drawing Work for him. Yeah, there may be a abrupt change in Artstyle, but i take this over the very low amount of Chapters every Time.

Tuck

Watch it. The anime is great and the ending gives closure while still being open ended.

Yonafunu

we keep hearing this, just wish there were more evidence for it. Because if that's seriously the real root of the problem, then where is his good old fashioned japanese shame for this behavior?

It's not, the Dragon Quest/Idolmaster things are just jokes. I mean, they're not random, Togashi really does like DQ and the same for Miura and Idolmaster, but it's just having fun with the long hiatuses.

The real reason for the hiatuses, in Togashi's case at least, is health issues. It's always been health-related.

Helmholtz

Sorry in advance for the bump.
But I just finished marathoning this entire anime over the past few weeks and I guess I'll share some thoughts.
Overall I really enjoyed it. Any anime that can keep me watching and constantly playing the next episode is doing something right. Here are some of my comments, spoiler tagged just in case:

- I enjoyed every arc to some extent. My favorites were probably the auction one and the very first arc about the hunter exam. Least favorite was probably the tower arena one and greed island.
-The Chimera Ant arc is a flawed but great arc. The pacing was definitely off and I found the animation to be lacking as it relied on a lot of still shots and slow motion. In particular once they infiltrate the king's building, there were entire episodes that were just really slow, drawn out fights that didn't amount to much. I did like how this arc had some really dark moments, especially during the early parts where the ants were wreaking havoc on the humans. And the characters and story were top notch. This arc introduced a whole cast of very likable characters as well as memorable villains. I can't believe how effectively they made me go from hating the king's guts, to shedding actual tears during his last scene. I think this arc was by far the most emotional.
-The election arc was cool and it certainly wrapped up the story on a nice note.
-Biggest disappointment for me is that we never got Hisoka vs. Gon, or really any satisfying ending for Hisoka, who was always one of the more interesting characters. Also haven't gotten much closure for the phantom troupe/it's leader. I'm assuming all these things are something the manga author plans on addressing in later arcs. But as someone who's only watched the anime it's a bummer.
-I also was kind of disappointed by the lack of Leorio and Kurapika during the ant arc, but at least Leorio had some great moments in the election arc. Kurapika basically just disappeared from the series outside of the few little glimpses we got at the end.
That's about it I think. Really enjoyed the series and I'm sad it's gone, at least for now.
Debating on whether or not I should join the eternal struggle that is waiting for manga releases, or if I should just hold out for a long time and see if the anime ever comes back. I think my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll end up seeking out those remaining chapters. The sad thing is I vastly prefer watching good anime adaptations over reading manga.
Are the two films worth checking out?

Maximo

Gave Hunter X Hunter another go after being somewhat turned off by the slow start of the anime. Up to Episode 27 and so far its really good, definitely picking up the pace and becoming alot more interesting.

Jigolo

Gave Hunter X Hunter another go after being somewhat turned off by the slow start of the anime. Up to Episode 27 and so far its really good, definitely picking up the pace and becoming alot more interesting.
That is the first and only thing I warn people about when they start the show. Good move, the show only gets better.

EDIT: stay out of this thread if you don't want to be spoiled.

LogicStep

I really wish the manga continues. The arc that was left in the air looks to be fucking amazing and probably the best so far... if it ever gets done.

Daingurse

So... no news whatsoever about when the mangá will return?

Of course not. Togashi is simply brutal lol. Had me completely invested during the setup for the new arc, 100%. This is like my 3rd time experiencing hiatuses from him though, so I just don't even have week to week hope. I knew this was going to be the same old shit. I got family with chronic pain though, so I can empathize with his struggle. Just sucks because HxH is my favorite shonen series, right up there with DBZ, sans nostalgia factor.

Maximo

Ok Ok I have no regrets basically I have a few days off this week...might have binge watched Hunter X Hunter and now im up to Episode 131...My GOD. The Chimera Arc I wasn't too sure about s9me parts really dragged on but MAN The payoff is so good. Gon is such a badass, and that artstyle they decided to go for Him? Just wow.

WorldStar

Banned
aight i took a bit of a break from this, resumed where i left off at around early 140ish eps

apparently ive had a huge lapse in memory cuz i don't remember how and why exactly kite is now a little girl

what happened? the koala ant told a story about a young girl he killed cuz he didnt want the other ants to torture her but i guess it was about girl version of kite? how is that possible? did both kite and that girl get eaten and the egg was a hybrid of them both?

how is kite back alive? why is kite a girl now? why is koala indebted to kite? what happened?

Moaradin

Girl Ant Kite was Meruem's twin sister that the Queen gave to Colt. How she got Kite's memories and personality? I don't remember lol.

WorldStar

Banned
Girl Ant Kite was Meruem's twin sister that the Queen gave to Colt. How she got Kite's memories and personality? I don't remember lol.

wait what. i didn't think Meruem had a human counterpart.

i thought she might be related to Colt's human sister, but i think that was Shidore?

but even if Meruem did have a human twin sister, how at all does that tie in to Kite?

but yeah, i didn't think Meruem had any human memories at all nor was tied to any specific human

Akainu

aight i took a bit of a break from this, resumed where i left off at around early 140ish eps

apparently ive had a huge lapse in memory cuz i don't remember how and why exactly kite is now a little girl

what happened? the koala ant told a story about a young girl he killed cuz he didnt want the other ants to torture her but i guess it was about girl version of kite? how is that possible? did both kite and that girl get eaten and the egg was a hybrid of them both?

how is kite back alive? why is kite a girl now? why is koala indebted to kite? what happened?
I think it's fair to assume that after pitou killed kite he gave his brain to the queen and the body that was made by her manifested with kite will.

WorldStar

Banned
I think it's fair to assume that after pitou killed kite he gave his brain to the queen and the body that was made by her manifested with kite will.

how is it the new kite looks 100% human without any animal/insect features?

also it doesnt address the pretty much whole episode dedicated to koala ant telling a story to female kite about how he felt remorse for killing an innocent human

and then female kite said koala ant was indebted to him forever and ever and would have to apologize to her every single day for what koala did to her

who was that one freckled female? (apologize if this is an obvious answer, episode made it seem like it should be obvious, i forgot the scene) whoever it was, female kite seems to identify more with her than kite.

remz

She has a little rat tail I think.

Kite's personality/Nen was so dominant his features probably took over the ones he was fused with. It also might have something to do with the last ability on his roulette- "Like Hell I'm Gonna Die" or whatever.

WorldStar

Banned
She has a little rat tail I think.

Kite's personality/Nen was so dominant his features probably took over the ones he was fused with. It also might have something to do with the last ability on his roulette- "Like Hell I'm Gonna Die" or whatever.

maybe, but who was he fused with?

when koala is sitting with female kite and confessing about how he killed an innocent girl cuz he didn't want to see ants torture/toy with her, the innocent girl he claims to have killed in the flashbacks looks identical to female kite

hqdefault.jpg

if kite did fuse with someone, it was def with this freckled girl. i dont know who the girl is. also i dont recall every seeing a rat tail and i just finished all the anime eps.

Akainu

also it doesnt address the pretty much whole episode dedicated to koala ant telling a story to female kite about how he felt remorse for killing an innocent human

and then female kite said koala ant was indebted to him forever and ever and would have to apologize to her every single day for what koala did to her

who was that one freckled female? (apologize if this is an obvious answer, episode made it seem like it should be obvious, i forgot the scene) whoever it was, female kite seems to identify more with her than kite.

It was just some random girl that the he felt guilty about killing. You are making this way to complicated for yourself.

When colt first calls the group about Kite she is a little girl and is playing thats when they show her tail.

maybe, but who was he fused with?

when koala is sitting with female kite and confessing about how he killed an innocent girl cuz he didn't want to see ants torture/toy with her, the innocent girl he claims to have killed in the flashbacks looks identical to female kite

if kite did fuse with someone, it was def with this freckled girl. i dont know who the girl is. also i dont recall every seeing a rat tail and i just finished all the anime eps.

More obvious in the manga.
latest

Top Bottom