• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

iPhone 4S |OT| : Page 108
Double D
Member
(10-14-2011, 02:45 PM)
Double D's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tucah

UPS just delivered mine (and they never come until 5PM!). Can't wait to play around with this thing.

Oh shit I hope this isn't backwards day. Mine is on the FedEx truck :/
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(10-14-2011, 02:47 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar
Someone sell me your old (verizon) iPhone 4! :)
AlphaTwo00
Member
(10-14-2011, 02:51 PM)
AlphaTwo00's Avatar

Originally Posted by btkadams

AWESOME. so stoked.

NOTE:

SIRI CANADA FAIL: Siri cannot look for places in Canada.

I asked where the local starbucks is. NO REPLY!
Technosteve
Member
(10-14-2011, 02:56 PM)
Technosteve's Avatar
Apple store in Delaware better have my iPhone when I get off work!!!
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(10-14-2011, 02:57 PM)
DopeyFish's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

NOTE:

SIRI CANADA FAIL: Siri cannot look for places in Canada.

I asked where the local starbucks is. NO REPLY!

WHAT
icespide
Banned
(10-14-2011, 03:03 PM)
icespide's Avatar
delivered but I"m stuck at work ugh
rinse82
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:05 PM)
rinse82's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

NOTE:

SIRI CANADA FAIL: Siri cannot look for places in Canada.

I asked where the local starbucks is. NO REPLY!

This hurts my heart.
bbagwell
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:05 PM)
bbagwell's Avatar
Three pieces of hotness, delivered!!
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:06 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

NOTE:

SIRI CANADA FAIL: Siri cannot look for places in Canada.

I asked where the local starbucks is. NO REPLY!

what?! so it has no mapping capability, or it has no yelp-business-type finder ability?
lupin23rd
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:08 PM)
Mine went to Ontario, CA last night and arrive in Richmond, BC an hour ago.... I live like 10 minutes from the airport they had better get it to me today!
Zefah
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:08 PM)
First of six people in line here at a Verizon shop in Seattle. Pretty damn cold out and now it's just started to rain a bit. Oh well! Less than an hour now...
AlphaTwo00
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:09 PM)
AlphaTwo00's Avatar
Not sure about yelp, but I tossed in the following:

What's the distance from here to Vancouver

Direct me to Montreal

Where am I

All returned with with "maps not available in Canada"
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:11 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

Not sure about yelp, but I tossed in the following:





All returned with with "maps not available in Canada"

fucking fuck. my most-wanted feature was map directions while driving. GRRRR.
HTuran
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:11 PM)
HTuran's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

All returned with with "maps not available in Canada"

Wow, can we get confirmation that Siri maps isn't just US?
Snkfanatic
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:12 PM)
Snkfanatic's Avatar
Should have mine in close to a hour, UPS always delivers around 11 here
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:13 PM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar
Daaamn, Canadians. Was that not mentioned at all by Apple, anywhere? That's bullshit if there was no way of knowing that.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(10-14-2011, 03:13 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snkfanatic

Should have mine in close to a hour, UPS always delivers around 11 here

Yes...YES!
giga
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:14 PM)
giga's Avatar
Apple doesn't even advertise Siri on their Canada site guys.
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:15 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by HTuran

Wow, can we get confirmation that Siri maps isn't just US?

i just searched twitter and a bunch of people are saying that maps/directions don't work for canada. it's most likely this is why siri isn't on the canadian site. it's kind of bs that the apple spokesman who spoke to bloggers said the only reason it wasnt on the canadian site was because it didnt have localized canadian english/french. fucking lies.

OR (unlikely), the maps function isn't working temporarily.

Originally Posted by giga

Apple doesn't even advertise Siri on their Canada site guys.

an apple spokesman said siri would be available in canada and that the reason it wasn't on the apple site was because the languages weren't localized.
planar1280
Banned
(10-14-2011, 03:15 PM)
planar1280's Avatar
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/...one-by-design/

Siri can be used to make calls from a locked iPhone...by design.
Aske
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:15 PM)
Aske's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

Daaamn, Canadians. Was that not mentioned at all by Apple, anywhere? That's bullshit if there was no way of knowing that.

We're supposed to feel lucky we get Siri at all. Remember, it's not even mentioned as a feature of the Canadian 4S. No worries, it's in Beta, and it'll get official Canadian support soon.
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:16 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aske

We're supposed to feel lucky we get Siri at all. Remember, it's not even mentioned as a feature of the Canadian 4S. No worries, it's in Beta, and it'll get official Canadian support soon.

hopefully! we better not have to wait until 2012 for map/directions.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(10-14-2011, 03:16 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by planar1280

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/...one-by-design/

Siri can be used to make calls from a locked iPhone...by design.

And turned off if need be, so not a problem.
planar1280
Banned
(10-14-2011, 03:16 PM)
planar1280's Avatar
Siri is still in BETA, is that too hard to understand. let it come out of Beta and then we can all complain why this or that does not work
IronFistedChampion
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:18 PM)
IronFistedChampion's Avatar
My phone is in the truck for delivery, woohoo!
planar1280
Banned
(10-14-2011, 03:19 PM)
planar1280's Avatar
someone test it out in USA. Have siri give you driving directions from your place to Toronto.
Xater
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:19 PM)
Xater's Avatar
Just tested it and the maps thing with Siri is also not working here in Germany. I guess it's US only.
Timan
(10-14-2011, 03:20 PM)
Timan's Avatar
Blah AT&T is being shit and won't activate :( so now the phone is stuck in a brick state till its completed.

FUUUUUUUUU
bbagwell
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:22 PM)
bbagwell's Avatar
One of ours activated, the second one is waiting. Boo, but to be expected I guess. It's not like they were expecting a bunch of traffic today or anything.
AlphaTwo00
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:22 PM)
AlphaTwo00's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aske

We're supposed to feel lucky we get Siri at all. Remember, it's not even mentioned as a feature of the Canadian 4S. No worries, it's in Beta, and it'll get official Canadian support soon.

The apple guys were showing it off to everyone in the line. You tell me if it's "included"
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:23 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

Just tested it and the maps thing with Siri is also not working here in Germany. I guess it's US only.

isn't germany supposed to be one of the main localized countries with siri? maybe it's just a temporary error then.

google search shows no one outside us can use the directions. well that's lame. hopefully they can add that in soon. i thought it would be as simple as just using the map application on ios, but it must be more difficult.
Last edited by btkadams; 10-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Spruchy
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:26 PM)
Spruchy's Avatar
So I was picking my dad's phone up (he's upgrading from 3GS) and I checked one last time to see if I was eligible for an upgrade (got a iphone 4 on launch day) and despite at&t telling me no three days ago, I was now eligible. I have no idea why but I'm now sitting here with a 64gb model ;]
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(10-14-2011, 03:26 PM)
CrunchinJelly's Avatar


Xater
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:27 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by btkadams

isn't germany supposed to be one of the main localized countries with siri? maybe it's just a temporary error then.

The response of Siri is that it can#t help me out with maps, traffic or directions.

I also have trouble asking Siri to tell conversions. I always get the response that it doesn't understand what I mean.
Shurs
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:27 PM)
Shurs's Avatar
UPS just delivered my phone.

Yay.
Kunohara
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:27 PM)
Kunohara's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

The apple guys were showing it off to everyone in the line. You tell me if it's "included"

Showing what off? "Hey guys, look how it doesn't work, awesome right?"

And my status is still in progress. This is only a half hour after reservations went up Friday morning. Around 320 in line. Fucking retarded.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(10-14-2011, 03:30 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shurs

UPS just delivered my phone.

Yay.

Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-14-2011, 03:31 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by RubxQub

Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!

Same here. My wife just sent me a text letting me know it arrived!
btkadams
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:32 PM)
btkadams's Avatar
yeah, looking at the siri pages on apple's uk site vs the us site. the us one shows yelp location stuff whereas the uk one doesn't. i guess it's us-only.
Chocoboko
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:32 PM)
Chocoboko's Avatar
Sooo, I have been silently following this thread and was going to hop in with the praises along with the rest of the people in here about my new iphone 4S that I would get today. Unfortunately there has been some type of "Exception" with UPS's shipping network.

I ordered mine from the Apple Store last Friday, a few hours after per-orders went live. It shipped from China to KY in 3 days. I live in AL so there was no doubt it would be here by Friday. Everything was fine when I went to sleep last night. But now it looks like during the night it has flown from KY to TN all the way up in Chicago IL.

The last update was:
"Chicago, IL, United States | 10/14/2011 4:57 A.M. | An exception in the sorting process has occurred. UPS has taken corrective action." The scheduled delivery date was pushed back to Monday.

Now this really makes me upset since I took the afternoon off from work today to run some errands and wait for the iphone.

Anyways, is this normal or should I be worried? It has now been 5 hours since it mysteriously showed up in Chicago. Do I just have to wait till Monday to get the phone or is there anything that I can do?

Sorry for the long winded response!
DarkChronic
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:33 PM)
DarkChronic's Avatar
FedEx tracking says my phone is on the truck and out for delivery!

Excitement at MAX levels.
bbagwell
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:33 PM)
bbagwell's Avatar
Okay, second phone activated! After it said it couldn't connect, we just started again and it went right thru. FYI...
RaidenZR
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:35 PM)
RaidenZR's Avatar

Originally Posted by KennyLinder

Anyone know?

I answered you a couple back. Gotta pay attention, Kenny.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=5090
Aske
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:35 PM)
Aske's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlphaTwo00

The apple guys were showing it off to everyone in the line. You tell me if it's "included"

It's obviously "included". It's just more of a bonus feature for those without official support. There's a reason it's not listed as a 4S feature on the Apple Canada website. Hopefully the Canadian-English/French fine-tuning and lack of map support are the only facets of Siri missing from our Beta, but we should never have been expecting the same functionality as the officially supported countries.
Unconditional
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:35 PM)
Unconditional's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chocoboko

Sooo, I have been silently following this thread and was going to hop in with the praises along with the rest of the people in here about my new iphone 4S that I would get today. Unfortunately there has been some type of "Exception" with UPS's shipping network.

I ordered mine from the Apple Store last Friday, a few hours after per-orders went live. It shipped from China to KY in 3 days. I live in AL so there was no doubt it would be here by Friday. Everything was fine when I went to sleep last night. But now it looks like during the night it has flown from KY to TN all the way up in Chicago IL.

The last update was:
"Chicago, IL, United States | 10/14/2011 4:57 A.M. | An exception in the sorting process has occurred. UPS has taken corrective action." The scheduled delivery date was pushed back to Monday.

Now this really makes me upset since I took the afternoon off from work today to run some errands and wait for the iphone.

Anyways, is this normal or should I be worried? It has now been 5 hours since it mysteriously showed up in Chicago. Do I just have to wait till Monday to get the phone or is there anything that I can do?

Sorry for the long winded response!

looks like your phone is coming on monday.
Shurs
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:36 PM)
Shurs's Avatar
So, when I tap the back of the phone it makes an every so slight rattling noise. Is this common?
planar1280
Banned
(10-14-2011, 03:36 PM)
planar1280's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shurs

So, when I tap the back of the phone it makes an every so slight rattling noise. Is this common?

Thats Siri coughing. I am just jk your phone is broken
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(10-14-2011, 03:36 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shurs

So, when I tap the back of the phone it makes an every so slight rattling noise. Is this common?

I'm gonna go ahead and say no :(
Eric WK
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:37 PM)
Eric WK's Avatar

Originally Posted by RubxQub

Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!

I really have no idea why you would think random stories from across the country (world?) of UPS delivering early means anything for your specific route. Unless the drivers have been instructed to deliver Apple/carrier packages first today or something, the very fact that the 4S released today likely means more packages for the drivers and longer delivery times.

PLEASE COME SOON, UPS. PLEASEEEEE.

And that vvvvv
Shurs
Member
(10-14-2011, 03:37 PM)
Shurs's Avatar

Originally Posted by RubxQub

Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!

I think it really depends in the service itself. Mine was sent Next Day Air, so it was guaranteed to be here by 10:30 am.

Thread Tools