• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Beth Cyra

Ichor said:
Why is it so damn hard to get into FF5? I'm probably about half way finished it, but it feels like work to play it. I finished the first four games in a couple of weeks.
Really? Dang, I remember after the introduction of Faris I didn't want to stop playing. I loved getting to the next section wondering what retarded but awesome thing would be said or happen.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Electivirus said:
Heh, my first was actually A2. Haven't even played Tactics Advance yet.
There are certain nuances in FFT that differentiates it from FFTA2. I wouldn't say its "harder," but rather perhaps more "technical," more variables to consider if you're the min/maxing type.
Professor Beef said:
I love Dissidia, but most of those pony versions of characters are damn-near unrecognizable.
The colors for some of them are really misjudged, like Cloud of Darkness and Edea. Why red? Cloud of Darkness should be green for obvious reasons, and Edea being red makes no sense. Same with both Cloud and Sephiroth having black coats, unless its commentary of being "emo."

But by that notion, why the hell is Prishe black too? I chalk it up to bad color choices/short-sightenedness.

I spent a good amount of time in V grinding for AP in the Ship Graveyard, (And later, that castle basement, I think it was near the place where you can get Odin.) so a lot of the game is a blur to me. I've yet to tackle the extra dungeon, though. Maybe I'll do that today.

Emitan

Aeana said:
That's forgivable provided that you go purchase Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii right now.
Why would he play that when he can play a real roguelike for grownups?

lolol

But seriously all I hear about Chocobo's Dungeon is that it's really easy and boring. Am I wrong?

Aeana

Billychu said:
Why would he play that when he can play a real roguelike for grownups?
Well, if all we should ever do is play "real ___s for grownups," we would never have played a Final Fantasy game in the first place, huh?

There are plenty of desirable, unique features in Chocobo's Dungeon that makes it worth playing in the face of myriad Rogue-style games, including other Mystery Dungeon type games.

Emitan

Aeana said:
There are plenty of desirable, unique features in Chocobo's Dungeon that makes it worth playing in the face of myriad Rogue-style games, including other Mystery Dungeon type games.
My impressions of this game come from roguelike veterans who were probably way more harsh than they should have been. So my view on it is probably really distorted.

Fou-Lu

Aeana said:
If you find FF5 hard to get into but not 3, that's confusing to me.

Honestly III wasn't that interesting, but the jobs felt a lot more concentrated. Most of the jobs in FFV feel pointless.

Beth Cyra

Ichor said:
Honestly III wasn't that interesting, but the jobs felt a lot more concentrated. Most of the jobs in FFV feel pointless.
No way, the majority of Jobs are there to be the leveling system in that you master them and then pimp out the Freelancer Job with sweet extra ablities.

suzu

I like most of the main Final Fantasy games I've played (excluding 1, 2, and the MMOs). There isn't really any that I outright hate.. even XIII was okay.

My first was FFIV in Japanese. As a kid I managed to stumble through most of it. I fell in love with the music and sprites. :) Then I moved onto V, and VI.. and the rest is history.

inner-G

Banned
Pranay_ said:
Final Fantasy X

FF 10 is the best Final Fantasy ever made.

Great to see its hd port
Agreed can't wait to play it in all of its OLED glory.

(still buying the PS3 version too)

Man, I can't wait for X HD Vita. A graphically enhanced version of one of my favorite RPGs on a handheld? oh god right in my veins

Cedric

Man, my first Final Fantasy was IX. I remember I had a friend that kept talking about final fantasy and me thinking it was a fighting game went over to the video store to rent the ninth one. Although I was completely mistaken, that game went on to being my favourite of all time. Some friend lent me VIII afterwards and my mom later bought the seventh for me. Got around to beating IV, V, VI, VIII, IX and X before the release of the first Dissidia. Still haven't beaten VII though, deleted my save before the final boss by accident. Ranking goes like this:

IX
VII
VI
VIII
V
X
XII
IV
III
II
I

For fun, favourite characters (in no particular order)

Auron
Blank, Beatrix, Vivi, Zidane & Freya
Squall, Laguna & Zell
Tifa, Cid & Vincent
Celes, Edgar & Locke
Bartz & Faris
Kain

Fou-Lu

My first FF was actually the first FF; my brother had it for NES when I was really young, but he wouldn't let me play it until I was around five.

Electivirus said:
Man, I can't wait for X HD Vita. A graphically enhanced version of one of my favorite RPGs on a handheld? oh god right in my veins
It blows my mind that they haven't shown anything from it, or even talked about what kind of changes they are making. All we got was a logo and a 2012 date. Knowing SE, it will be the very end of the year.

We're going to be waiting a long time for FFXII HD.

Beth Cyra

H_Prestige said:
It blows my mind that they haven't shown anything from it, or even talked about what kind of changes they are making. All we got was a logo and a 2012 date. Knowing SE, it will be the very end of the year.

We're going to be waiting a long time for FFXII HD.
It was announced less then a month ago and we have 3 FF's shipping soon plus now two on the horizon.

Probably for the best they don't talk to much about it now.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is this the list your favourite Final Fantasy thread? Anyway, here's mine:

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X (probably)
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII

The last two on the list I still haven't finished, but I got to the final battle in FFVIII and is stuck at a point in XIII. The non-listed FFs I haven't played enough to warrant a place in the list.

meadowrag

Banned
I've been on a Final Fantasy kick.
Recently beat IX, VII, and thenn Tactics in that order.

I want to play V but don't want to end up with a phony GBA cart off ebay, like the phony VI GBA cart I have.

How bad are the PS1 verions of the SNES games?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Tier 1:
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (expansion pack)
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy Tactics

Tier 2:
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7* (see Tier 4)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 12

Tier 3:
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7
Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy 3 (DS)

Tier 4:
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy 7 (last hour of that game is fail)
Dissidia Final Fantasy

Not enough time spent to establish opinion:
5, TA2, 4WoL

Granted immunity:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GCN)

Emitan

meadowrag said:

I want to play V but don't want to end up with a phony GBA cart off ebay, like the phony VI GBA cart I have.

FFV GBA is the definitive version.

TruePrime said:
Really? Dang, I remember after the introduction of Faris I didn't want to stop playing. I loved getting to the next section wondering what retarded but awesome thing would be said or happen.

This is why I loved FFV so much more than FFIV (besides the gameplay). I loved how stupidly awesome it was. Everything that happened was so nonsensical and stupid, but I loved the shit out of it. Same reason I love FFVIII more than FFVII.

meadowrag said:

Lots of loading. Not too bad if you've never played the games before at all, but unbearable if you have.

Negator

Ooh, Tier lists.

God Tier
Final Fantasy 5

Top Tier
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 4

Good Tier
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Meh Tier
Final Fantasy 12
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Shit Tier
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 2

Online Tier
Final Fantasy 11
Final Fantasy 14

Aeana

The main problem with FF5 PSX for an English speaker, besides the glitchiness of it, is the hi-lariously bad translation.

Fou-Lu

The Mana Legend said:
This is why I loved FFV so much more than FFIV (besides the gameplay). I loved how stupidly awesome it was. Everything that happened was so nonsensical and stupid, but I loved the shit out of it. Same reason I love FFVIII more than FFVII.

If there's one thing I love in FF5 it is Gilgamesh, this dude is awesome. Also his music is one of my favorite FF songs ever.

Aeana

Billychu said:
Y-Burn

2jneA.gif

kunonabi

Too shitty for words tier:
FFXIII

Awful Tier:
FFVII
FFVIII

Not for me Tier:
FF
FFII
FFIII

Meh Tier:
FFV
FFIX

High Tier
FFX/X-2
FFIV
FFVI
FFT
FFCC

Haven't played XII but I'm considering it now that I know you can turn off the A.I nonsense.

The FFs I enjoy are some of my favorite rpgs but I can't stand the majority of the series' output.

Negator

Boney said:
Mystic Quest in good tier?

I wanna hear about that.

Well, generally speaking, my list is a mixture of quality and how much I enjoyed the game. Mystic Quest has a special place in my heart as a really simple yet fun game that I can go back to and always have a good time with. Which is more than I can say for every game below it.

Aeana said:

Oh god, I remember that, lol!

Oh we are doing tiers now? Even better.

Top Tier
Final Fantasy X-First FF. Greatly Paced Narrative with likable leads. Best Turn based Combat and a skill system that still has presets,but can be highly customizable.
Final Fantasy XII-Great world and voice acting. Gambits are fun. Ashe was cool.
Final Fantasy VI-What is there to say about VI? It's just great.

Good Tier

Final Fantasy XIII-Great battle system with an interesting,but poorly executed story. Nice focused cast though.
Final Fantasy IX-A really likable lead with a easy going ability system.
Final Fantasy VII-It's just an epic game.

Meh Tier-No strong feelings either way
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II

Bad Tier
Final Fantasy VIII-I dislike the skill system and find everything falls apart after disc 1
Final Fantasy IV-Find the battles boring and the story even worse.
Final Fantasy X-2-Hate the mission structure and the atmosphere.

Rafaelcsa

I've just been playing FFIX for the first time. I'm on the Crystal World. I can say I completely loved the first disc. It's up there with the best of FFVI. I really love that FFIX is more light-hearted than its two predecessors. Really refreshing. No end of the world scenario in beginning of the game.

The second disc was okay but less interesting that the first. The game really took a plunge to me though on the third disc. I was really waiting for the moment the world would open up for me and I'd get to check out other lands, but it was a disappointment. Not nearly as fun as in FFVI when you get the first ship. I just couldn't find much stuff to do in the overworld in FFIX. Most of the places I had now access were boring. And the forth of disc is more of the same.

The story also took a dive for the worse. It now became a typical Final Fantasy end of the world story of the planet is doomed, what's the reason for existence, blah blah blah. I really preferred the more political stuff that was going on in the first two discs.

I just died to the first boss in the Crystal World, Deathguise, and I'm considering just watching the end of the game on youtube. The save point takes me back to before the last boss I just fought and I'm not in the mood to do it again. At this point I just the game to end and be done with it. It's been a few years since I last played a FF game but now I can see that they're not really for me. They're always way too long, padded with filler and the combat is just too mindless for me to go on. I wish this game were about 20-25 hours long.

Aeana

Rafaelcsa said:
I've just been playing FFIX for the first time. I'm on the Crystal World. I can say I completely loved the first disc. It's up there with the best of FFVI. I really love that FFIX is more light-hearted than its two predecessors. Really refreshing. No end of the world scenario in beginning of the game.

The second disc was okay but less interesting that the first. The game really took a plunge to me though on the third disc. I was really waiting for the moment the world would open up for me and I'd get to check out other lands, but it was a disappointment. Not nearly as fun as in FFVI when you get the first ship. I just couldn't find much stuff to do in the overworld in FFIX. Most of the places I had now access were boring. And the forth of disc is more of the same.

The story also took a dive for the worse. It now became a typical Final Fantasy end of the world story of the planet is doomed, what's the reason for existence, blah blah blah. I really preferred the more political stuff that was going on in the first two discs.

I just died to the first boss in the Crystal World, Deathguise, and I'm considering just watching the end of the game on youtube. The save point takes me back to before the last boss I just fought and I'm not in the mood to do it again. At this point I just the game to end and be done with it. It's been a few years since I last played a FF game but now I can see that they're not really for me. They're always way too long, padded with filler and the combat is just too mindless for me to go on. I wish this game were about 20-25 hours long.
I really don't like the way things go toward the end of disc 3, so I actually just stop playing the game before disc 3 ends. I like discs 1, 2 and most of 3 though. So my FF9 is only 3 discs, and I'm totally happy with that!

Fuck the plebe! the best Final Fantasy is:

FINAL FANTASY VIII - GOD f*ing TIER
There hasn´t been any other final fantasy that can surpase the musical score, gameplay and story of it.

The next in line will be:

TOP TIER:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX

Good Tier:
Final Fantasy XII

Meh Tier:
Final Fantasy XII

Shit Tier:
Final Fantasy XIII

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Rahxephon91 said:
Oh we are doing tiers now? Even better.

Oh wow, this almost exactly fits my opinions on the series. Except I thought X-2 was alright. Even though it absolutely destroyed everything they had built up in X, the battle/dress system was fun and it had a few amusing moments that made me laugh. For some reason I have three copies of the game, which is more than I really need for a game that is only so-so, but I ended up getting every version because I always saw it for such a cheap price :/ (expected)

Aeana said:
I really don't like the way things go toward the end of disc 3, so I actually just stop playing the game before disc 3 ends. I like discs 1, 2 and most of 3 though. So my FF9 is only 3 discs, and I'm totally happy with that!
Yeah I really don't like where IX goes. It starts throwing in all this identity crisis stuff for Zidane that wasn't needed. It feels forced and only in there because it's a jrpg of that time. But the end makes up for this in my opinion.

Kalnos

Banned
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Fucke the plebe! the best Final Fantasy is:

FINAL FANTASY VIII - GOD f*ing TIER
There hasn´t been any other final fantasy that can surpase the musical score, gameplay and story of it.

sarcasm01.jpg

Beth Cyra

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah I really don't like where IX goes. It starts throwing in all this identity crisis stuff for Zidane that wasn't needed. It feels forced and only in there because it's a jrpg of that time. But the end makes up for this in my opinion.
How the ending is the single worst moment in the game, when they take one of the single most vain and selfish characters of all time and then try to redem him in all of but three sentences.

This being less then an hour after he uses Ultima to try and destroy the life tree and the universe.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike IX, but I do love Kuja. Sadly they tried to ruin his character right at the end.

Aeana

Lissar said:
Oh wow, this almost exactly fits my opinions on the series. Except I thought X-2 was alright. Even though it absolutely destroyed everything they had built up in X, the battle/dress system was fun and it had a few amusing moments that made me laugh. For some reason I have three copies of the game, which is more than I really need for a game that is only so-so, but I ended up getting every version because I always saw it for such a cheap price :/ (expected)
I always feel sad to see people say that.
They do "destroy" what was built up in 10, but that is the entire point of the story. It takes on the idea of what happens to a world once it is no longer living under the threat of constant danger, and I thought it actually did that really well. Lots of people just don't know what to do next, some people seize an opportunity to make a quick buck by exploitation (see: Zanarkand), etc. The game is about people finding a place in their new world, and yes I think the feelings of anger and disappointment toward the inhabitants of Spira is totally natural and it is exactly what the developers wanted to evoke in the first place.

Beth Cyra

Kalnos said:
Alot of people love and think VIII is the best, probably best if we don't go down the road of calling that particular thing out.

It would the lovers of XIII trying to call out all the people who dislike it.

Is FFXIV Still free to play? I only need to purchase the game, right?

Everyone's been going off on how great it is with this new patch, so I'm going to give it a shot.

TruePrime said:
How the ending is the single worst moment in the game, when they take one of the single most vain and selfish characters of all time and then try to redem him in all of but three sentences.

This being less then an hour after he uses Ultima to try and destroy the life tree and the universe.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike IX, but I do love Kuja. Sadly they tried to ruin his character right at the end.
Because Zidane surfs on vines. It's really my only reason. Oh and the dramatic hug. Kuja's redemption didn't bother me.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Is FFXIV Still free to play? I only need to purchase the game, right?

Everyone's been going off on how great it is with this new patch, so I'm going to give it a shot.
What's so great about the new patch? Anyone have a brief summary?

Seda

My FF story:

In my really early years of gaming (gradeschool), I was exclusively a PC and Gameboy gamer. My first console was an N64 in late gradeschool. I was pretty much a Nintendo franchise exclusive gamer until middle school. I never had a SNES or PS1. I was a pretty casual gamer.

I got a PS2 sometime through middle school. I mainly got it for Star Wars games that I wanted to play. My first game with the system was Star Wars: Starfighter. One day I randomly got a PS2 demo disc in the mail. I don't know why I got it, but I did. One of the demoes was Final Fantasy X. I had never heard of the Final Fantasy series at this point (I was like 13?). I was never really into JRPGS either (RPGs in general, really). Like I said, I was a casual gamer primarily into Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

I loved that FFX demo.

People say that RPG demos never ever work. This one worked for me, big time. I probably played it 15 times. It had 2 parts, the first being the opening in Zanarkand until Tidus is "swallowed", the second being Besaid until you jump on the boat for Kilika.

It's hard to explain why it clicked so well. The combination of the music, visuals, story, characters, gameplay...... it just clicked. I had never played anything like it before then.

I bought that game at launch and I remember playing it well into the night, and rushing home from the bus stop to play after school. It is still my favorite Final Fantasy game. I have a file where I maxed out every stat on every character, each with every skill. I have probably played through the full game 7 times or so.

At this point in my life, I subscribed to GamePro and Nintendo Power, started visiting gaming websites, and following gaming as a true hobby. RPGS became my primary genre, leaning towards JRPGS. Soon after beating FFX for the first time (I was like 13/14) I had my dad buy FF7, FF8, and FF9 for me. I played FFVIII first because a friend recommended it.

Since then, I've bought most of high profile JRPGs and WRPGs from PS2/GCN era on. I also, of course, went back to play the some of the classic SNES/PS1 JRPGS that I missed:

FFIV, FFV, FFVI, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Star Ocean's among many others. I've beaten all the main FF games except FF2. I haven't tried the MMO's, though.

I'm still working on playing through the catalog of classic JRPGs that I missed. I recently played through Valkyrie Profile 1, Valkyrie Profile 2, and I just started VPDS. Some JRPGS that I haven't played yet that I want to are Odin Sphere, the Shadow Hearts series, and the Ys series.

Basically, in short, thanks to a random demo disc, I have found my favorite genre and my favorite hobby. My mindset about gaming would be completely different if that demo disc didn't happen to fall into my hand. Thank you, Final Fantasy X.

Top Bottom