• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AgentOtaku
Member
(10-12-2011, 06:54 AM)
AgentOtaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Foliorum Viridum

I watched the QL of this last night and it's pretty embarrassing.

I hope it fails. That's from a big fan of the first two games.

It's a little sad yeah. Would have been WAY more acceptable as a budget DLC.
Orayn
Member
(10-12-2011, 06:55 AM)
Orayn's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentOtaku

It's a little sad yeah. Would have been WAY more acceptable as a budget DLC.

I'm guessing it adds just enough that they couldn't easily release it as a straight add-on. A hybrid thing like the GTA episodes would have been nice, though.
B-Dex
Member
(10-12-2011, 07:18 AM)
B-Dex's Avatar
Yep. Definately changed her design.

Original:


I couldn't find a pic of her new look but her face is completely different. More "realistic" I guess.

EDIT: Found one. (Well made one)
Last edited by B-Dex; 10-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
onken
Member
(10-12-2011, 07:29 AM)
onken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snuggler

don't worry, it's GFWL

*gag*
Jigsaw
Banned
(10-12-2011, 07:37 AM)
i will only buy this if rebecca survives this time,i won't carry her through the whole damn city again just so she gets shot in the head again minutes later,so please someone spoiler me
Chinner
(10-12-2011, 11:36 AM)
Chinner's Avatar
i dunno what the difference is? different eyes and smaller mouth>??
derFeef
lil' bit tasty
(10-12-2011, 11:37 AM)
derFeef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chinner

i dunno what the difference is? different eyes and smaller mouth>??

Lips, shape of chin and jawline... everything. I liked her old look better to be honest, now she looks like Mrs. Anybody.
AwesomeSauce
MagsMoonshine
(10-12-2011, 11:39 AM)
AwesomeSauce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jigsaw

i will only buy this if rebecca survives this time,i won't carry her through the whole damn city again just so she gets shot in the head again minutes later,so please someone spoiler me

I totally know what you mean. What you spoiler marked is probably the biggest blemish of DR2. When it happened, I was pretty mad and disappointed, since I was having a blast playing through DR2 coop.
Jaroof
Member
(10-12-2011, 12:00 PM)
Jaroof's Avatar
I just unlocked zombie walk
How do you use it? It gives you the controls, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Edit: Never mind. Got it. Was thinking it did something else.
Last edited by Jaroof; 10-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Dash Kappei
Not actually that important
(10-12-2011, 12:44 PM)
Dash Kappei's Avatar
Anybody got this on PC? Did they optimize this port better than DR2?
Couldn't get 60fps locked for the life of me with evetything maxed and 2xAA on DR2 even if much more demanding games gave me no problem.
Since I've yet ti really sink my teeth on DR2 I'd play this one instead if the port is better this time.
Crazymoogle
Member
(10-12-2011, 02:32 PM)
Crazymoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentOtaku

It's a little sad yeah. Would have been WAY more acceptable as a budget DLC.

For better or worse, that just wasn't possible in this case. It's not a skin swap; its a ton of new voice recording, a new zone, new combos, a new UI, etc. Basically, a $30-40 remix/polish/super-gold-edition game that for some reason got $50 worth of development time into it. It's literally unpatchable.

The problem is - and I think this better speaks to your point - it's unclear why this was greenlit for development versus shipping a model change DLC 6 months ago and spending all of the development dollars on DR3. I love that the game is almost the polished final-cut of DR2, but they missed out on a lot of features that would have really taken it in that direction (Chuck's story, for instance.) As it is, the game is "better" but at the same time just some alternate universe take.

As mentioned earlier in this thread it will be interesting to see which version is "canon" going forward.
KibblesBits
Member
(10-12-2011, 02:35 PM)
KibblesBits's Avatar
I'm just going to wait for the inevitable "Super" Hyper Dead Rising 2 that we all know Capcom will release next quarter.

*All the DLC
*Both Storymodes
*Online TiR
*Blah blah Sandbox
bubnbob
Banned
(10-12-2011, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by KibblesBits

I'm just going to wait for the inevitable "Super" Hyper Dead Rising 2 that we all know Capcom will release next quarter.

*All the DLC
*Both Storymodes
*Online TiR
*Blah blah Sandbox

I'll buy that too.
hamchan
Member
(10-12-2011, 02:55 PM)
hamchan's Avatar
This doesn't include all the DLC? wtf
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(10-12-2011, 02:57 PM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by derFeef

Lips, shape of chin and jawline... everything. I liked her old look better to be honest, now she looks like Mrs. Anybody.

her older look is definitely more striking
diffusionx
Member
(10-12-2011, 02:57 PM)
I have the DR2 Zombrex Edition I bought last year on sale and did not play. Should I play that, or just try to get rid of it and play this?

I do want to play DR2. I just don't know if it should be that or this.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(10-12-2011, 03:01 PM)
BY2K's Avatar
There's actually a reason for Stacey's redesign. You'll know when you get there.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(10-12-2011, 03:01 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
how much do you like

a) photography

B) frank west

Ithought DR2 was perfectly acceptable with the stoic Chuck Greene at the helm. And his daughter was one of the least offensive child characters in gaming I've ever seen. But if you like Frank more...
KageMaru
Member
(10-12-2011, 03:03 PM)
KageMaru's Avatar
So anyone test to see if they fixed the online co-op yet?
Crazymoogle
Member
(10-12-2011, 03:03 PM)
Crazymoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by hamchan

This doesn't include all the DLC? wtf

No, it's a seperate bag this time, its own DLC whatever that may be.

For those with a fishiness alarm, there is no DLC available yet but you can download the 30 meg patch that allows you to play with people that have said theoretical DLC.

:/

Originally Posted by diffusionx

I have the DR2 Zombrex Edition I bought last year on sale and did not play. Should I play that, or just try to get rid of it and play this?

I do want to play DR2. I just don't know if it should be that or this.

If you already have DR2 and can't get the money you paid for it back, may as well stick with that one. At least, on 360. It's basically the same game; you don't get the extra content and you have to put up with Chuck instead of Frank, but I'm guessing you get 75-80% the same experience. If you want to play co-op with strangers, strongly prefer Frank to Chuck, or just want the better version of the game you may want to switch.

Originally Posted by Jintor

And his daughter was one of the least offensive child characters in gaming I've ever seen.

I'll miss the gift quests, that's for sure. Poor tiger.
codhand
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:42 PM)
codhand's Avatar
Game Informer sure seems to love them some DR, reviews are pretty average otherwise....
friskykillface
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:44 PM)
friskykillface's Avatar
there's a $10 off coupon in a best buy magazine but you gotta buy the magazine though.

hopefully this goes on sale for $30 before November so the coupon can make it $20.


damn red box, i wish they got this :(
Last edited by friskykillface; 10-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Sadist
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:45 PM)
Sadist's Avatar
Hmmm... 14 at release... to buy or not?
Digishine
Banned
(10-12-2011, 05:47 PM)
Digishine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sadist

Hmmm... 14 at release... to buy or not?


Where 14 euro ? need to know and yes buy it
KibblesBits
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:48 PM)
KibblesBits's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

There's actually a reason for Stacey's redesign. You'll know when you get there.

Just spoil tag it please?
xtrasauce
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:51 PM)
xtrasauce's Avatar
How is this version "better" exactly? My only real beef with the original version was the poor framerate, and allegedly it's worse now since they added more zombies.

Also, I think Chuck is a more likable character than Frank.
Sadist
Member
(10-12-2011, 05:56 PM)
Sadist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Digishine

Where 14 euro ? need to know and yes buy it

At Zavvi. For the PC version that is.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(10-12-2011, 05:58 PM)
BY2K's Avatar

Originally Posted by KibblesBits

Just spoil tag it please?

The quote or you want me to say the reason why in spoiler tag?
Dram
Member
(10-12-2011, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by BY2K

There's actually a reason for Stacey's redesign. You'll know when you get there.

Is it because it's actually Stacey's sister? Since this is a what if game, they could change the story somewhat. They already have Evan the clown as a boss, who I think is the brother of Adam; the clown from the first Dead Rising.
KibblesBits
Member
(10-12-2011, 06:04 PM)
KibblesBits's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

The quote or you want me to say the reason why in spoiler tag?

Actually never mind. I think I know what's going on. And it's probably a big spoiler that doesn't need to be in the thread.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(10-12-2011, 06:04 PM)
BY2K's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dram

Is it because it's actually Stacey's sister? Since this is a what if game, they could change the story somewhat. They already have Evan the clown as a boss, who I think is the brother of Adam; the clown from the first Dead Rising.

Nope.

The reason is (late game spoiler btw): In the original DR2, Sullivan works for the company that makes zombrex and shoots Rebecca. In Off The Record, it's Stacey. So I guess the redesign was to give her a more evil-ish look.
Nabs
(10-12-2011, 06:07 PM)
Nabs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash Kappei

Anybody got this on PC? Did they optimize this port better than DR2?
Couldn't get 60fps locked for the life of me with evetything maxed and 2xAA on DR2 even if much more demanding games gave me no problem.
Since I've yet ti really sink my teeth on DR2 I'd play this one instead if the port is better this time.

What does your setup look like?
TheBanditKing
Member
(10-12-2011, 09:54 PM)
TheBanditKing's Avatar

Originally Posted by AgentOtaku

Same here. They bump it up to 720p or AT LEAST add Vsync, I'll get the PS3 version over 360.

Im in the exact same boat, hopefully we can get some info soon. Though with it being a small re-release I don't anticipate much in depth analysis.
reggie
Banned
(10-12-2011, 09:56 PM)
reggie's Avatar
I couldn't believe what I was reading... until I saw that it was a Chinner thread.
Brandon F
Member
(10-12-2011, 10:00 PM)
Brandon F's Avatar
Did they balance the Psycho fights? Maybe it's just me, but I hit a real brickwall with the hippie psycho in the bathroom.

Compared to DR1(which I beat in its entirety), I just could not figure out a good strategy against that asshole and gave up. And that was the first goddamn boss fight!

Fuck, just talking about this makes me want to put the disc in and retry... Some reason feel the urge to beat DR2 Chuck edition before bothering with Frank edition.
dsmoke1986
Member
(10-12-2011, 10:01 PM)
Loved DR2, saw this on Steam this morning, debating on whether to pull the trigger for $40...
ArjanN
Member
(10-12-2011, 10:19 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brandon F

Did they balance the Psycho fights? Maybe it's just me, but I hit a real brickwall with the hippie psycho in the bathroom.

Compared to DR1(which I beat in its entirety), I just could not figure out a good strategy against that asshole and gave up. And that was the first goddamn boss fight!

Fuck, just talking about this makes me want to put the disc in and retry... Some reason feel the urge to beat DR2 Chuck edition before bothering with Frank edition.

You can make all the bossfights in DR2 really easy by levelling up. (by starting over)

That psycho is likely the first you run into and I felt they clearly designed him to be a speedbump, the trick it to not chase him, just wait for him to come to you, dodge his attack (jump away if you don't have the dodge roll yet) and hit him once or twice. It just takes some patience. Also, the defiler (axe+sledgehammer) owns everything in the game and you can make that in the first save room. It also a good idea to bring some food.

It's pretty funny though once you're high enough level you can beat most of the psychos in like 10 seonds.
Chinner
(10-13-2011, 12:16 AM)
Chinner's Avatar
can anyone from the UK not order this from steam?
Dash Kappei
Not actually that important
(10-13-2011, 12:33 AM)
Dash Kappei's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nabs

What does your setup look like?

i5 3.2Ghz, OCed 5850 1GB, 4GB DDR3, W7 64-bit

Even without any AA, no blur and lowering settings I still couldn't get 60fps locked.
MRORANGE
Member
(10-13-2011, 12:36 AM)
MRORANGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chinner

can anyone from the UK not order this from steam?


I think most ip's from uk are blocked, cannot buy as well.

using tiscali here
Of All Trades
Member
(10-13-2011, 12:59 AM)
Of All Trades's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

You can make all the bossfights in DR2 really easy by levelling up. (by starting over)

That psycho is likely the first you run into and I felt they clearly designed him to be a speedbump, the trick it to not chase him, just wait for him to come to you, dodge his attack (jump away if you don't have the dodge roll yet) and hit him once or twice. It just takes some patience. Also, the defiler (axe+sledgehammer) owns everything in the game and you can make that in the first save room. It also a good idea to bring some food.

It's pretty funny though once you're high enough level you can beat most of the psychos in like 10 seonds.

One aspect I really didn't like in DR2 that seemed to carry over from DR1 was the random upgrades. Some randomness is ok but I'm playing DR2 now and didn't get the roll until around level 18 (and still don't have the defiler or the boxing glove weapon) and it really made earlier boss fights fall from challenging to un-fun. The mascot psycho with the flamethrowers was particularly bad because the range of the fire was so significant (I think I was pounding down wine and cheesing the environment to get through that one).
YoungHav
Banned
(10-13-2011, 01:16 AM)
YoungHav's Avatar
Is this out on PSN yet? I am confused.
Digishine
Banned
(10-13-2011, 01:18 AM)
Digishine's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoungHav

Is this out on PSN yet? I am confused.

Huh u mean the full game on psn ? I don't think so
YoungHav
Banned
(10-13-2011, 01:22 AM)
YoungHav's Avatar
Off the record. I thought it was downloadable DLC? It's a disc add-on?
TheBanditKing
Member
(10-13-2011, 01:25 AM)
TheBanditKing's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoungHav

Off the record. I thought it was downloadable DLC? It's a disc add-on?

Its not an add on at all, its a full re-release of the original DR2 with alterations and a few new areas. Its like the DMC 3 re-release that let you play as Virgil and other costumes with a new easy mode.

Still wish I could find some info on if the PS3 version is improved over the original DR2 or if this version will be even worse because of the higher enemy count.
Xander51
Member
(10-13-2011, 01:26 AM)
Xander51's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoungHav

Is this out on PSN yet? I am confused.

It's not coming out on PSN as far as I know, it's a retail disc product.

I'm thinking about picking up the PC version, even though I never finished original DR2.
Wolfgang Jr
Member
(10-13-2011, 01:27 AM)
Wolfgang Jr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brandon F

Did they balance the Psycho fights? Maybe it's just me, but I hit a real brickwall with the hippie psycho in the bathroom.

Compared to DR1(which I beat in its entirety), I just could not figure out a good strategy against that asshole and gave up. And that was the first goddamn boss fight!

Fuck, just talking about this makes me want to put the disc in and retry... Some reason feel the urge to beat DR2 Chuck edition before bothering with Frank edition.

I found him much easier in this - one of the reasons is that there are more food items scattered around the place - throw/knock over a bin & there'll be food in there 80% of the time & I think there are 2 bins close by to this psycho.

Also; Boxing Gloves + Bowie Knife are incredibly easy to get and are incredibly powerful. You should always at least have a Nail Bat on you at all times anyway.

Originally Posted by Of All Trades

One aspect I really didn't like in DR2 that seemed to carry over from DR1 was the random upgrades. Some randomness is ok but I'm playing DR2 now and didn't get the roll until around level 18 (and still don't have the defiler or the boxing glove weapon) and it really made earlier boss fights fall from challenging to un-fun. The mascot psycho with the flamethrowers was particularly bad because the range of the fire was so significant (I think I was pounding down wine and cheesing the environment to get through that one).

What do you mean 'and still don't have the weapons' ? You know the combo cards only give more PP, right? You can still construct the weapons before you get the cards.

Yeah, this dude is annoying, but remember the gun shop is right around the corner, making this fight MUCH easier.
Last edited by Wolfgang Jr; 10-13-2011 at 01:31 AM.
B-Dex
Member
(10-13-2011, 01:43 AM)
B-Dex's Avatar
They also moved where you fight the Hippie guy as well. Still in a bathroom just a different zone.
chandoog
Member
(10-13-2011, 06:20 AM)
chandoog's Avatar
Started playing this today, I have to say very ho hum about the game so far. The photography is an addition that i'm not even using .. maybe i'm too tuned to playing dead rising 2 without it.

Also is it just me or does Stacy's voice changes from time to time ? probably because of them splicing new and old lines, not that noticeable with others though.
Dan Yo
Banned
(10-13-2011, 06:29 AM)
Does Off The Record also include normal Dead Rising 2? Or just the Frank West thing?

Thread Tools