• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

DD

Nope. The choice was current gen, or next gen. Too much work to do both. Personally, I think it would have had to of been released right now to make much hay on current gen. Even then, it would have been in the unenviable position of competing with GT6.

On too many levels it didn't make much sense to continue on.

Yeah, it makes sense.

Thanks for the info!

DieH@rd

Banned
Surprised they're sticking with Wii U.

They are aware that they will be the only sim available for Wii U. No competition, good chance of success.

Btw, head of SMS studio Ian Bell has confirmed in the public section of pCARS forums that he is insisting on 60fps on PS4/Xbone. :) I would personally wait for a while before that is 100% confirmed, they have a lot of work to be done.

MaLDo

Ignore if posted before but I just tested the game after a few months without playing. My old SLI bits doesn't work anymore and surprisingly now DX11 works for me a lot better than before (I remember playing at DX9). Actual version works flawesly with a new SLI profile, DX11 sli bits = 0x080912F5.

They are aware that they will be the only sim available for Wii U. No competition, good chance of success.

Which was sort of my drive about questioning it's existence still. I find it hard to believe the target market owns a Wii U, less that the target market owns only a Wii U to access PCars.

Obviously their reasoning is stronger than mine, but given how close it is to the PS360 power wise it just seems odd to shake those two and not the Wii U as well. Be interesting to see sales figures, that's fore sure.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I will buy the Wii U version and probably double dip for PC one too when it's cheaper. Or Steam OS one if I will go for a Steambox.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not getting a PS4 or Xbone anytime soon. I'm rather tempted by a Steam Box, but I wait for configurations and prices to decide if I go for that or for PC.

Plus I love the off-tv and playing a sim racing on the toilet seems appropriate.

GamePad is essentially an f1 wheel.

Yes, this too.

markao

Definitely going WiiU. Sucks it's now autumn 2014. Last time I looked it was early 2014 or did I imagine that?
No, Q1 2014 was original plan. But with the additional time needed to get game engine running on next gen and than looking for a launch window, they picked Fall.

Gestault

Actually ecstatic to see this on PS4/XB1. I was considering the Wii U version just for an ongoing game to play, but the digital triggers sort of soured me to that once I'd gotten some time with my tablet. I hope this holds up as well as it should after being optimized for each platform. More sims the better.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Vote ended, result: pCARS races to next gen

cars_bannern8i8m.png
I'm guessing no news / they probably won't open up tool buy in again?

disap.ed

No, Q1 2014 was original plan. But with the additional time needed to get game engine running on next gen and than looking for a launch window, they picked Fall.

To be perfectly honest fall 2013 was the earlier plan which was already a delayed original release date IIRC.

kanuuna

I was just going through the screenshot thread on the official forums, and I came across this, thought it might be worth a mention.

Looks like physics based smoke, maybe even rain is coming to Project CARS - likely using PhysX. For the YouTube videos posted click here and here.
I guess if you thought you had a rig that could run this game maxed out at 4K when it comes out, think again.

EDarkness

any reason why you guys are getting the wiiu version over the ps4 and one?

I probably won't have a PS4 then, and I think the game should look and run quite well on the game and with being able to use the Wiipad as a steering wheel, I think that would be pretty cool. Like Mario Kart for the Wii. Either way, it should be fun now matter what system you get it on.

saladine1

Any information on upgrades/customization/tuning?
I loved SHIFT's offerings mainly because it orientated towards practicality rather than just 'street cosmetics'.

Blizzard

Banned
Any information on upgrades/customization/tuning?
I loved SHIFT's offerings mainly because it orientated towards practicality rather than just 'street cosmetics'.
I never mess with them, but I think there are a ton of car tuning setup options in CARS that affect the physics.

The very simplest examples are things like the fuel load, since you go faster with less fuel (but then you feel stupid when you run of gas 2 laps in, lol).

*edit* Here are some really quick screenshots that came up when I googled. They may be old though, and I can't really read the text. =P
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/99/pcarssetups2.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/pcars2012-04-1918-51-ccjvg.png

Watevaman

I think he's asking more about actual parts to add to the cars, both visual and functional, in which case I have no clue on that front.

Lettuce

Nope. The choice was current gen, or next gen. Too much work to do both. Personally, I think it would have had to of been released right now to make much hay on current gen. Even then, it would have been in the unenviable position of competing with GT6.

On too many levels it didn't make much sense to continue on.

So they never even started work on the 360/PS3 version then....no chance in hell this would have seen a 2014 release then.....and neither will the current gens, 2015 at the earliest !!!!

GKB

So they never even started work on the 360/PS3 version then....no chance in hell this would have seen a 2014 release then.....and neither will the current gens, 2015 at the earliest !!!!

Actually they were working on the consoles build, they even released some screenshots. But the next gen consoles got announced and the community was given a choice to continue the last gen build or port it to the next gen instead.

Effect

Surprised they're sticking with Wii U.

Shouldn't be I feel. The Wii U is a more capable system then the PS3 and 360. It's not as powerful as the PS4/XB1 but it is more powerful then the other two. It's not a "current gen" system like them no matter how many people try to say otherwise.

What the...! You connected some crazy dots there, fella!

They added six months to bring it to the new platforms, and given themselves a bit more time to polish it all up in time for more advantageous release window. What's not to like?

_machine

Missed this, but wow, they've worked on those versions for quite some time and their engine already supported both platforms (I think we saw some debug shots, can't remember well right now) so yeah, they did work on them and they've already worked on all of the 3 next gen versions (Daily Code Changes have constantly additions regarding those platforms and they're registered developers).

Watevaman

I was just going through the screenshot thread on the official forums, and I came across this, thought it might be worth a mention.

Looks like physics based smoke, maybe even rain is coming to Project CARS - likely using PhysX. For the YouTube videos posted click here and here.
I guess if you thought you had a rig that could run this game maxed out at 4K when it comes out, think again.

can't wait for this to be implemented:

leaves_by_watevaman-d6thd1e.gif

gatisimo

Is there any way of getting this on PC nowadays? I tried a few months back and registration was locked down. Is ebay or the buy/sell thread an option, or do they have a way of protecting against that? I'm dying to try this out on my new gpu.

Xanadu

Banned
Is there any way of getting this on PC nowadays? I tried a few months back and registration was locked down. Is ebay or the buy/sell thread an option, or do they have a way of protecting against that? I'm dying to try this out on my new gpu.

nope, assetto corsa early access just came out though

Xanadu

Banned
I've been hearing people praise this game forever. A long time ago I tried it and couldn't even complete a lap. Braking was a nightmare and taking turns was painful. What's so good about it?

did you use a pad? you really have to use a wheel to experience AC but its pretty much the best physics out there, MUCH better than CARS atm

_machine

did you use a pad? you really have to use a wheel to experience AC but its pretty much the best physics out there, MUCH better than CARS atm
Yup, it pretty much sucks with a pad, but I could still feel the underlying physics be absoutely fantastic, at least on the E30. The early access felt a bit rough still though, but I've no doubt it has some of the best physics we've seen.

fresquito

If I remember correctly, I tried it with a wheel. I don't know about the physics, but I sure had a lor problems controlling my car.

Top Bottom