• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Tomasooie

Ew, the game looks sub-HD...

Why does Sonic have such a green tint to him on Green Hill Zone? Looks fucking ugly...

Other than that, everything seems good.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait wikipedia says Sonic Drift 2 is planned to be released on the 3ds eshop? What? When did this happen? Is it japan only?
Sega had apparently slated a few Game Gear games (Sonic Triple Trouble, Shonobi and Columns, along with another one I'm forgetting) for a summer release. Not sure what happened there, though.

Edit: Oh shizzle, Advance 3 arrangements?

In this thread: Haters eat their hats.

Great OP. I can't wait to have a copy in my posession. I have a feeling I'll be playing this game a lot.

FreeMufasa

Sciz said:
They're just hitting all the right notes on the presentation for this game. <3

You can say what you want about the content/gameplay of recent Sonic games but i've always felt the soundtracks are top tier. Particularly Sonc 06.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Sega had apparently slated a few Game Gear games (Sonic Triple Trouble, Shonobi and Columns, along with another one I'm forgetting) for a summer release. Not sure what happened there, though.

Edit: Oh shizzle, Advance 3 arrangements?

Ya, I just found a couple articles on other sites from June saying "summer" It's fucking fall SEGA. Where the fuck are my games. :mad:

And I just caved and ordered the LE off of Amazon. :(

hank_tree

What happened to OT topics only being created a week before release? First Arkham City and now this getting my hopes up a week early.

Apparently if you find the direct download link for the demo, and stick it on a USB stick, it works just fine even if you don't have Gold. Just mentioning that.

Like if you were to find the marketplace link and download it on your PC, maybe via a friend's Gold account, I'm not clear whether that'd be necessary.

There's a remix of
Sonic Mega Collection
music for the Network screen.

Kulock said:
Like if you were to find the marketplace link and download it on your PC, maybe via a friend's Gold account, I'm not clear whether that'd be necessary.

There's a remix of
Sonic Mega Collection
music for the Network screen.

You can download xbox stuff on your PC? I'm confused.

Tomasooie

Why don't you drop all your rings when you're hit? Omochao says you lose all your rings when hit, but that doesn't happen when you've collected over a certain amount.

I only got to play the demo once for classic and modern before having to leave for work today. The only differences I can tell between the timed demo released a few months ago and this one is that the menu's are different, loading screen is cooler, and omochao is around to give tips. Oh and the orange signs that warn of death pits. That's a nice addition.

I enjoyed the demo. Not sure where the framerate complaints are coming from but it looks fine on the XBOX 360 version to me. Maybe my eyes are going bad? If framerate is such an issue for most, perhaps the PC version will suit you better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone get me some beer pop and put me to bed, dammit. Where is my soundtrack announcement, SEGA?

FreeMufasa said:
You can say what you want about the content/gameplay of recent Sonic games but i've always felt the soundtracks are top tier. Particularly Sonc 06.
Sonic 06's music is fantastic. I can say how much I disliked the game, but the music is incredible. I love all the violin work in Kingdom Valley, for example.

But all the soundtracks have something special to offer. For example, for some of the games in what SEGA dubs as the "Modern Era", Colours, Unleashed, 2006, Black Knight, Secret Rings... all of them have quality tracks no matter your taste.

I also feel like the presentation (the background) and cutscene direction are also well-done... particularly in Unleashed and Colours. They were very impressive to look at, and the animations during the cutscenes were pretty good.

Teknoman

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I only got to play the demo once for classic and modern before having to leave for work today. The only differences I can tell between the timed demo released a few months ago and this one is that the menu's are different, loading screen is cooler, and omochao is around to give tips. Oh and the orange signs that warn of death pits. That's a nice addition.

I enjoyed the demo. Not sure where the framerate complaints are coming from but it looks fine on the XBOX 360 version to me. Maybe my eyes are going bad? If framerate is such an issue for most, perhaps the PC version will suit you better.

I think its just not being used to a 30 fps Sonic title. If you didnt play Unleashed or Colors, you probably have no idea that it was supposed to be 30 locked (Unleashed wasnt, but still).

Sciz

Teknoman said:
That Results A isnt:

So what could it be?
Both Results themes are either original tracks or from obscure enough sources that even I can't place it. Certainly not from Sonic R.

Teknoman

Sciz said:
Both Results themes are either original tracks or from obscure enough sources that even I can't place it. Certainly not from Sonic R.

Maybe something from Sonic Jam or Segasonic the hedgehog?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
So what could it be?
I'm not sure. It doesn't seem like it's from Sonic R. Unless it's from something super-obscure.

Edit: Beaten by Sciz as usual.

Teknoman said:
Checking through Sonic Jam out right now but nothing's really popping out yet.

FreeMufasa

Dark Schala said:
Someone get me some beer pop and put me to bed, dammit. Where is my soundtrack announcement, SEGA?

Sonic 06's music is fantastic. I can say how much I disliked the game, but the music is incredible. I love all the violin work in Kingdom Valley, for example.

But all the soundtracks have something special to offer. For example, for some of the games in what SEGA dubs as the "Modern Era", Colours, Unleashed, 2006, Black Knight, Secret Rings... all of them have quality tracks no matter your taste.

I also feel like the presentation (the background) and cutscene direction are also well-done... particularly in Unleashed and Colours. They were very impressive to look at, and the animations during the cutscenes were pretty good.

You almost picked all of my favourite tracks =)

I think this is one area SEGA never declined in. If you look at other series like Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles, they all have triple A soundtracks.

Anyway I don't think i'll listen to the end theme yet. Soundtrack spoilers are bigger than story spoilers for me in most cases.

Given how deep they seem to be going with the fanservice, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a track from Sonic Schoolhouse or something :lol

Sciz

Teknoman said:
Nope. They sound like Sonic 4 tracks more than anything, all the way down to the awful lead synth. Probably just Senoue originals.

Lijik

These music leaks
These music leaks oh my god

Well except for Results B, that one is iffy. I like Results A well enough Sonic 4-ish qualities aside.

Teknoman

The green tint is from the grass btw. For some reason it projects a bit of green onto Sonic's face. Its not that noticeable unless you're really looking for it though.

mr stroke

Demo is awesome, really impressed.

I was going to pick this up on PC, but I didn't know this supported 3D, and damn does it look good. One of the best looking 3D games I have seen-minimal ghosting, no loss of image quality, and great use of depth. Will probably pick up PS3 or 360 version now.

Teknoman

Aha RT does the tricks in modern Sonic's stage after hitting a rainbow ramp.

I dunno how you guys are having framerate issues, because after running through both classic and modern, it seemed 30 fps locked to me.

Modern Sonic doesnt control loosely, but wow is he fast. Lots of alternate routes in both, so im sure thats where red rings come in. Load times blast through with sonic speed (lol).

Now all I hope is that the PC version plays just fine with no odd glitches or framerate hitches (Modern Sonic at 60fps would melt your eyeballs). I wish Classic Sonic bounced higher after killing a badnik, and that some of the springs/ramps werent obviously automated for a certain speed/height...but all things considered, had fun with both gameplay styles.

Masamuna

Definitely looking for to this hitting my Gamefly queue. Bought Colors last year, and although I really enjoyed myself I've come to realize that I really don't replay games that much which made the purchase feel a bit empty.

Teknoman

Masamuna said:
Definitely looking for to this hitting my Gamefly queue. Bought Colors last year, and although I really enjoyed myself I've come to realize that I really don't replay games that much which made the purchase feel a bit empty.

Definitely go back to that to grab the rest of the red rings.

EDIT: Damn Modern Green Hill is beautiful, and has lots of different paths to travel, even on the ones that seem sorta straight forward (I jumped at one point and hit a wall jump segment).

Its never good to constant boost here either. You'll miss shortcuts, and while you arent in danger of flying into nothingness, you miss lots of things by just zooming through the level.

It's a real bummer that this game isn't running at 60 fps, but I cracked a smile during the modern sonic level. It's just too fun. The low framerate (but par for the course with most games this gen) mixed with the needing to see it coming classic Sonic gameplay made for some difficult moments, but it's better than the last demo I played.

Teknoman

The framerate isnt really low since its built to be locked at 30, similar to Colors. No framerate drops either, so maybe its just coming from not having played any recent big Sonic titles such as Colors?

Anyway i'd think PC version would be uncapped so go with that if you want full on 60.

Teknoman said:
The framerate isnt really low since its built to be locked at 30, similar to Colors. No framerate drops either, so maybe its just coming from not having played any recent big Sonic titles such as Colors?

Anyway i'd think PC version would be uncapped so go with that if you want full on 60.

Yeah, hopefully the PC will be 60. Expecting 2D Sonic to run at 60fps comes from playing the older games it's paying tribute to. It's one of the few things that leads the classic Sonic stages to feel a bit off. It's fine for the running into the screen stuff, but for side-scrolling I feel like it really hurts the gameplay.

Teknoman

patrickthehedgehog said:
Yeah, hopefully the PC will be 60. Expecting 2D Sonic to run at 60fps comes from playing the older games it's paying tribute to. It's one of the few things that leads the classic Sonic stages to feel a bit off. It's fine for the running into the screen stuff, but for side-scrolling I feel like it really hurts the gameplay.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from there.

Blueblur1

Teknoman said:
I wish Classic Sonic bounced higher after killing a badnik, and that some of the springs/ramps werent obviously automated for a certain speed/height...but all things considered, had fun with both gameplay styles.
The 'enemy bounce' and automated springs and ramps are what kill it for me. I loved taking advantage of the physics in the old games by jumping right before the apex of a hill for extra height and jump off an upward slope just before it ended for a crazy high jump. In this game Classic Sonic is practically locked onto the ground at times.

I feel similarly restricted with Modern Sonic when I'm not allowed to boost on certain grind rails. :mad:

Top Bottom