• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I too have started the nuzlocke challenge.

The following story is completely true and not for the faint of heart.

Day one. My friends come in with a present; three pokeballs with one for each of us. At last the day I was waiting for. Before Bianca can even explain which was which, my hand is drawn to . .

495.gif

Jaqen

The pokeball vibrates in my hand and I smile. I can already tell the little guy is devious, but ready to embark with me. He wants to be the best almost as much as I do.

And thus we set out.

Night starts and I'm about to catch my first pokemon. The anticipation boils, though I know it's likely to be either Lilipup or Patrat. Patrat it is! I catch the little guy, reminiscing of seeing my first Ratata and how I used to read Red Wall. And so . .

504.gif

Matthias

. . is added!

How exciting! Both of us are brimming with joy and anticipation, so I throw her into the starting gate. First pokemon we encouter is another Patrat, equal level. Matthias is apparently faster, so I know I have this in the bag. We both tackle and I think nothing of it.

Second hit, I tackle again. So does this wild Patrat.

Everything next happened to fast. Matthias is on the ground, bleeding profusely from her neck. She doesn't scream, doesn't really make a sound, she just falls over into a pool of her own blood and I realize that this wild little Patrat sucker had scored a critical hit, right to jugular.

I make no motion, taken by shock. I'm going numb. The wild Patrat stares me down. This is what I set out for? This is the journey I wanted so bad? I drop to my knees. Jaqen can feel it though and comes to my rescue. He tackles and tackles the wild Patrat until its face is unrecognizable. He crawls over to me and rests his head in my lap.

Sound comes back. Next thing I know, Jaqen and I are rushing to the pokemon center but we both know it's too late. Too much blood was on the ground for it to not be.

Matthias is dead.

I lower her into the ground and set off to the next area. She will never be forgotten. We didn't even have a chance to connect, to grow, to become the very best.

The next morning, Jaqen and I set out again, onwards and upwards. I stand in anticipation at route 2, staring into the wild grass. Should I even attempt to catch this new pokemon? I know I'll need it to survive, but how could I let myself go on if it met the same fate?

I take a deep breath and step into the grass. I close my eyes as I hear the growling as a wild Lilipup appears. I offer a small sigh of relief that it isn't another Patrat, I'm not sure I'm willing go through that again. The wound is too much. Without much effort, Jaqen and I are able to bring it in and so . .

506.gif

Bolin

. . is added to the team. I can already tell he's fierce. At level 6, his attack his as much as Jaqen's, a full 6 levels ahead of him.

The three of us tear through the next route and trainers, watching as each pokemon goes down before us. The trail of tears and blood we leave behind only serve to harden my heart. It helps me forget Matthias for the time being. Bolin is already stronger than Jaqen and I can tell the three of us are going to make it to our first badge in no time.

We reach the town, heal up and head out to the outskirts. A weird gentleman stares me down after Bolin and I have ripped through the two trainers behind us without a thought. We talk, him being a little too interested in my starter. Regardless, he hands me a pokeball. I press the button on the front and . .

515.gif

Kanye

. . a Panpour is given to me. I name him Kanye for his hat. The original thought was Jay-Z, but I don't like his smug look. He smiles too much. I let the others out to meet him, but Jaqen just ignores him and Bolin won't stop sniffing for other pokemon in the area he could fight and subsequently bite. Regardless, we all know Kanye has no idea what is in store.

That night is training. Jaqen can almost taste the first badge, he's brimming with excitement. Every wild pokemon we tear through is another step towards it. I watch and nod as the Patrat's an Purrloin's that dare show their face flinch from Bolin's massive bite. Jaqen nods his approval. I can tell he thinks he's ready. I hope he is. Kanye stays in the pokeball, where he belongs. I'm not ready to get attached yet.

And so we come to it, standing in front of the door. The gym leader finds out my starter type and goes to prepare. I think nothing of it. This is what we came to do. Inside this building is the first step into being able to be called the best of the world. We step in, solve an easy riddle and come against our first trainer. Jaqen is shaking in his pokeball. I don't know the levels here, but I trust him.

So I let him have at it. This was Matthias. This was for our first fallen comrade.

The trainer sends out a Lilipup. I panic. It's a level higher than Jaqen. Jaqen looks back and gives me a nod, telling me it's going to be okay, to trust him. I take a deep breath and grit my teeth.

They tackle each other, the Lilipup taking as much damage as Jaqen. I can tell Jaqen has the right of it and the one level doesn't matter account for much. He smiles as goes in for the vine whip, his special new move. It was the last time he would ever use it.

The Lilipup charges in, bashing in Jaqen's skull. Critical hit.

I'm screaming. Jaqen turns towards me. I can see the ripped skin. I can see the skull. I can tell my words are intelligible, but I scream and scream. Jaqen falls on its face. This was wrong. This isn't how it was supposed to play out. This was supposed to be my first pokemon, my first companion and friend.

Without a thought, I send in Bolin. In two bites, the foes Lilipup has no throat.

I stop screaming.

As the blood is cleared from the gym floor, I stand with Bolin over Jaqen. I stare. He sniffs around his wounds and tries to lick them clean. He whimpers and looks back up at me. A soft and sympathetic smile cross my lips as I return him to his pokeball.

The next day we bury Jaqen next to Matthias.

I heard a saying once about how Sharpedo's only breathe by forward motion in the water and the second they stop moving, they die and how we humans are the same. The second we become stagnant, the second we die inside. We have to move forward.

I never understood until now. There is only forward.

(end pt. 1)

(I may have gone a little overboard, but good lord does this Nuzlocke change how I view playing the game)

Delio

NUZLOCKE UPDATE.

While training in Pinwheel forest to get ready for the next gym, Ace evolves into a powerful Pignite. Happy with this result I start to make my way out when I suddenly run into a Sawk resting on a rock alone. Pignite challenges it and after an intense battle I capture the Sawk and name him Justice.

The two fighting types have a fierce rivalry often fighting to prove themselves. Rally them I head into the gym to meet Lenora head on.

Round 1- Herdier vs Justice.

A curbstomp really as Justice took out her dog with just one low sweep even after the attack lower. Watch hog is coming in and I quickly switch to Ace so he can score a gym win.

Round 2- Watchhog vs Ace

Ace starts off with arm thrust scoring a solid hit. Watchhog uses it's strongest move retaliate doing massive damage. After a quick heal Ace is put to sleep but his berry wakes him up right as he is slammed by another powerful move. I have just enough health to pull off another Arm thrust and I get in four hits scoring me the win.

Team so far.

499.gif

Ace LV 21 Pignite.

Leader of the team and my starter pokemon. Now that it has evolved and has a rival in the team It works hard to be the strongest fighting pokemon around. Is the first to jump into battle pulling the rest to come along with it. Mastering the move Arm thrust is his main focus.

505.gif

Heart LV 20 Watchhog

Mother figure to the team and the second pokemon I caught. She proved her worth earning my first gym badge and has since been a great status runner with moves like Confuse ray and Hypnosis. Constantly breaking Ace and Justice apart she is very much important to the team's morale.

519.gif

Airrazor LV 20 Pidove

She joined the team shortly after the first gym and quickly caught up to the rest of the team. Using her powerful flying attacks she soloed N herself. She will be a powerful flying type and is now in a intense training to take on the third gym.

539.gif

Justice Lv 20 Sawk

Last but not least, Justice is Ace's main rival. Both constantly training together to improve their skills. Kind of a jokester he is constantly pulling pranks on the team and of course is met with a punch to the head by Heart.

He is very loyal though and will take any hit for the rest of the team and dish out the pain with Low sweep.

(How you like the personalities? Trying to shape them up haha.)

I prefer the PUSA voices.

Ash's voice is much better, Brock's is quite a bit worse, Jessie's alright, James and Meowth are terrible.
I like the rest of the cast at the moment, so I'm probably willing to call it a draw.

At least no more Dan Green.

Not so; he makes fairly regular guest appearances, most recently in the Accelgor episode a few weeks back.

I liked Team Rocket more in the 4Kids dub though.

Oh God, so much.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The summary for the first episode of Best Wishes 2 mentions it's three-months till the Unova League. Apparently this applies in-universe AND in real-time, since previous mentions of dates till leagues in past seasons corresponded to Japanese air-dates.

Can't believe it's so soon. :0

Thores

Um, whats a Nuzlocke?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge

Cliffs Notes: It's a fan-made ruleset for Pokemon that makes it both harder and also a different, unique feeling experience where you might end up forming attachments to Pokemon you otherwise wouldn't use. The dude who made up the ruleset made a webcomic about it and it kind of blew up. There are hundreds of Nuzlocke fan comics (a lot of which surpass the original author's, imo) and fiction and blogs and what have you, and I think it's considered a pretty common thing in the community now.

It really is a pretty neat way to play, I'd recommend trying it out at least once.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dan Green hate is lame, especially after he lost his wife from giving birth to twins a couple months ago.

Also he's a great voice actor.

Delio

Dat Nuzlocke update.

Gathering my trained team I make my way into Burg's gym. We face off with each other where he brings out a curled up bug named Whirlpede. I smile and toss my pokeball into the air, greeted by the screech of Airrazor now a beautiful Tranquil.

Round 1 Airrazor vs Whirlpede.

Airrazor wastes no time diving at the bug pokemon in a quick attack. Burg is smart though and orders a rollout to move fast out of the way. Of course I dont let that stop Airrazor as I command her to turn in the air like a top facing the retreating bug again.

"Air cutter!" Airrazor's wings glow brightly before she wipes them forward sending blades of air slamming into the Whirlpede. The bug goes out of control and slams into the gym wall fainting.

Burg seemingly annoyed by this quickly calls out his Dwebble who looks very ready to fight. I take a moment to look up Dwebble's typing and with a quick switch Ace is on the field, stamping his feet over and over.

Round 2 - Ace vs Dwebble

Ace grins back at me and I give him a knowing nod. His repeated stamping gets faster and suddenly flames shoot out over his body. Burg in a panick orders a bug bite but Ace is already on the poor bug and with a quick punch, slams it into the ground knocking it out with a crit.

Burg seems at a lost before suddenly gathering himself and sending out his last pokemon, Leavanny. As much as Ace wants to keep going with his speed boost active I promised this gym to Airrazor, who returns to the field.

Final round Airrazor vs Leavanny

Looking to finish this battle quickly I order a Air cutter. Burg is quick to counter with string shot. I look confused at this but I notice my mistake in thinking Leavanny was slow. It dodges the air cutter and string shots up above Airrazor. Leaves flow around it's form before shooting down slamming into the back of Airrazor.

She tumbles to the ground and Leavanny give it no chance coming down on it's back and using struggle bug.

"Airrazor!" I cry, trying to think of a way to get it out of this mess. Then it hits me and I smile which I'm sure burg noticed.

"Use Air cutter right on the ground." Airrazor grunts summoning the attack. Burg tries to get Leavanny away but it's no use as Airrazor flaps her wings once the sharp wind knocking her up into the air along with the confused Leavanny.

Not wanting to miss this chance Airrazor fires another air cutter , slicing into the bug pokemon. As it tumbles to the ground I order a quick attack that send the pokemon right into burg's arms.

Gym badge in hand I head on out!

Team so far.

499.gif

Ace LV 24 Pignite.

Leader of the team and my starter pokemon. Now that it has evolved and has a rival in the team It works hard to be the strongest fighting pokemon around. Is the first to jump into battle pulling the rest to come along with it. Mastering the move Arm thrust is his main focus.

505.gif

Heart LV 23 Watchhog

Mother figure to the team and the second pokemon I caught. She proved her worth earning my first gym badge and has since been a great status runner with moves like Confuse ray and Hypnosis. Constantly breaking Ace and Justice apart she is very much important to the team's morale.

520.gif

Airrazor LV 24 Tranquil

She joined the team shortly after the first gym and quickly caught up to the rest of the team. Using her powerful flying attacks she soloed N herself. She later proved herself by securing my third gym badge in excellent fashion. Now that she has evolved she looks to become a even bigger threat.

539.gif

Justice Lv 24 Sawk

Justice is Ace's main rival. Both constantly training together to improve their skills. Kind of a jokester he is constantly pulling pranks on the team and of course is met with a punch to the head by Heart.

He is very loyal though and will take any hit for the rest of the team and dish out the pain with Low sweep.

551.gif

Emilie Lv 20 Sandile

Emilie was a very lucky find. Just when I needed a pokemon to handle the next gym. She saw how strong the others were and pushed herself to the limits to train and caught up to the team in just a few battles.

Checking her stats she is even Adamant natured and prides herself in her strength. A perma member of my team. Despite her temper she gets along with the others.

(Sorry for the battle commentary there. Trying to make it more of a story. Also my fucking luck getting an Adamant Sandile with intimidate.)

Dan Green hate is lame, especially after he lost his wife from giving birth to twins a couple months ago.

Also he's a great voice actor.

Yeah, I've never understood the dislike some people have for Dan Green. The man's iconic.

Sad to hear about his wife. Were the twins OK?

The summary for the first episode of Best Wishes 2 mentions it's three-months till the Unova League. Apparently this applies in-universe AND in real-time, since previous mentions of dates till leagues in past seasons corresponded to Japanese air-dates.

League and World tournament? Nice :)

Which raises the question; what the fuck do they do for the last year or so of Gen V, if the league happens in September/ October?

More World Tournament? Plasma plot? Battle Frontier?

Which raises the question; what the fuck do they do for the last year or so of Gen V, if the league happens in September/ October?

More World Tournament? Plasma plot? Battle Frontier?

Maybe it's an omen. Maybe this means that we can expect Gen VI in Japan in December.

Believe.

Yeah, right. :(

Watch Da Birdie

Dunno.

Oddly enough, despite mentioning Drayden in last week's episode, it seems Homika will be Ash's last Badge...and it'll be a 6 vs. 3 fight, in Ash's favor. :/

I'm guessing they'll save the Drayden/Iris subplot till after the League?

Dunno.

Oddly enough, despite mentioning Drayden in last week's episode, it seems Homika will be Ash's last Badge...and it'll be a 6 vs. 3 fight, in Ash's favor. :/

I'm guessing they'll save the Drayden/Iris subplot till after the League?

Well, they're diverted away from Opelucid by Luke making a movie at Pokewood, and Homika's gym is in the same city as Pokewood, so Ash does the battle while he's there. They meet Cynthia afterwards, and fly over to Undella (?). My guess is that they work their way anti-clockwise through Eastern Unova, back to Opelucid and the league.

I do wonder if the league's actually going to be all that big a deal this time round, though; the World Tournament has Cynthia, Caitlin and Alder battling in it. Maybe Ash actually wins the League this time out, and gets the opportunity to fail miserably in the World Tournament instead?

Not bloody likely. :(

Oh, I agree. He may even be my favorite voice actor of all time.

Dan Green is up there with Quinton Flynn, Brian Beacock, Kyle Hebert and every single person in Venture Bros. as one of my favourite VAs. He has that distinct quality to his voice that can never be replicated; only imitated.

Well, they're diverted away from Opelucid by Luke making a movie at Pokewood, and Homika's gym is in the same city as Pokewood, so Ash does the battle while he's there. They meet Cynthia afterwards, and fly over to Undella (?). My guess is that they work their way anti-clockwise through Eastern Unova, back to Opelucid and the league.

I do wonder if the league's actually going to be all that big a deal this time round, though; the World Tournament has Cynthia, Caitlin and Alder battling in it. Maybe Ash actually wins the League this time out, and gets the opportunity to fail miserably in the World Tournament instead?

Not bloody likely. :(
I'm curious what these new writers and directors will do with the league. Maybe we'll get a proper E4, that's not some tournament. Would like to see Ash win this time. He almost made it through(hack smogon trainer with legends). Wondering if Misty, Gary, Brock and old gym leaders will return...

Wichu

Chandelure used Inferno!
It's not very effective...
Foe's Rotom-W lost 90% of its health!
Foe's Rotom-W was burned!

Foe's Rotom-W is hurt by its burn!
Foe's Rotom-W fainted!

Don't fuck with Chandelure.

Also, Palpitoad is ugly IMO. I'm basing my opinion solely on the games; I haven't been watching the anime.

Watch Da Birdie

If it's so awesome, why hasn't it appeared for 30 episodes?
I'm hoping it appears in Homika's Gym.

It's got Poison resistance AND it's a sound-based Pokemon. Perfect fit for a Poison-type Guitar Gym Leader.

I'm hoping it appears in Homika's Gym.

It's got Poison resistance AND it's a sound-based Pokemon. Perfect fit for a Poison-type Guitar Gym Leader.

Proper use of reserves? Pah. We'll get Pikachu, Oshawott, Snivy, Pignite, Scraggy and Krokorok, and we'll be damned grateful.

Either that, or Palpitoad cheaply evolves and single-handedly wins.

Wichu

I'm sorry; I can't hear you over all of this AWESOME.

Can your precious Chandelame do THAT? ;P

Scrafty is roughly equal to Chandelure in coolness. Unfortunately, it doesn't learn DynamicPunch, so it can't go on my DYNAMICZAPINFERNOCANNONPUNCH team. Gravity/DynamicPunch/Zap Cannon/Rest Registeel is a beast.

Top Bottom