• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

linzin

Neo Member
I bought the Sully is dead thing for about five seconds. Nate drinks the water, there's suddenly a weird eclipse, bad guys appear out of nowhere and kill Sully, then when Nate shoots people they turn into fire demons? Of course, I was kind of operating under the assumption that no way would they kill any of the recurring characters from past series, much less Sully, so that might have been my own personal thing.

I think the best scene they pulled off was the desert scene. Even though we all KNOW Nate's gonna make it through just fine, the despair and vastness of the desert, nothing but sand on all four sides, just came through well for me. One of the rare moments that their environments, acting, and plot all came together rather than pulling in different directions.

Patapwn

linzin said:
*facepalm* ...how about NOT having Marlowe turn Nate over to some random pirate for no reason?

Magic wasn't the answer in UC1 either.
Ugh, don't get snippy with me, please. At the beginning of the game, if you paid attention, she was unsettled when cutter shot and 'killed' nate. So it was established that she didn't want to kill nate or at least didn't want to see it. So she just turned him off to her goons when she captured him. She probably hired ramses as oversight for the trip into yemen and being the dirty pirate that he is he saw an opprotunity and decided not to kill drake there and then.

And yes, the answer to uncharted 1 was magic.

The only thing I can think of regarding the pirate is that handing Drake over to a pirate is probably an easy way to get rid of someone without being tied to it, since pirates are rampant in the relative area.

I realize that's pretty flimsy though. The poster above makes a good point though about Cutter shooting Drake. I don't know if Marlowe was just really keen on keeping a low profile or something, but she seemed upset about that.

Marlowe's motives needed way more explanation. Talbot had no personality.

But the game was gorgeous. ND's artists... take a bow.

linzin

Neo Member
Patapwn said:
Ugh, don't get snippy with me, please. At the beginning of the game, if you paid attention, she was unsettled when cutter shot and 'killed' nate. So it was established that she didn't want to kill nate or at least didn't want to see it. So she just turned him off to her goons when she captured him. She probably hired ramses as oversight for the trip into yemen and being the dirty pirate that he is he saw an opprotunity and decided not to kill drake there and then.

And yes, the answer to uncharted 1 was magic.

Re: Uncharted 1
http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Descendant

As for being snippy, I apologize. But yes, you CAN explain away dumb plot decisions. Anything is POSSIBLE. It's just not good storytelling. She doesn't want to kill Nate. Why not? Does she know something about Nate? Does she secretly have a huge crush on him? Is she his mom? We don't know! She just doesn't want to kill Nate for some reason, and so she turns him over to pirates to do whatever they want with him.

It just feels lazy. With a game whose chief appeal is the writing, they should do better than this.

LProtag

linzin said:
I bought the Sully is dead thing for about five seconds. Nate drinks the water, there's suddenly a weird eclipse, bad guys appear out of nowhere and kill Sully, then when Nate shoots people they turn into fire demons? Of course, I was kind of operating under the assumption that no way would they kill any of the recurring characters from past series, much less Sully, so that might have been my own personal thing.

I think the best scene they pulled off was the desert scene. Even though we all KNOW Nate's gonna make it through just fine, the despair and vastness of the desert, nothing but sand on all four sides, just came through well for me. One of the rare moments that their environments, acting, and plot all came together rather than pulling in different directions.

I was thinking about the water thing but I think they pulled off the scene well enough to make me completely forget about it. I was mostly thinking "what kind of crazy thing is Drake going to find to bring Sully back to life?".

Majine said:
I think towards the end, it feels like UC2 all over again. Ancient city, gets destroyed, bossfight, gtfo outta there. And, I think I liked The look of Shambala more.

Best quote in the game: Sully: "This is why we can't have nice things!"
I thought from the moment you get on the cargo plane, everything happens in the same way in Uncharted 2 from when you get on the train. Couldn't help but feel that way.

ScOULaris

cluxdeluxe said:
I guess forums are just for complaining but I thought the game was incredible. Reading all these posts after beating the game made me feel like I shouldn't of had fun while playing the game.
In this case, though, it's not just Internet-forum cynicism. After we played Uncharted 2, there was nary as complaint to be found. This entry in the series happens to have a lot of little annoyances that add up to comprise a disappointing (albeit impressive) game. Liked the story and presentation, but I found myself frustrated more often than I was actually enjoying myself.

Radec

Did they explained what heppened to drake and elena after UC2? or is it too easy to understand why the would break up?(Nate's obsession on finding shit.)

I find the ending lacking. :/

Jarmel

Banned
Really really mixed on this. The story was definitely weaker than 2. We had convienent writing galore. For example Drake finding the Golden Hind thing in the library. Wow okay. That whole ghost town area was also extremely convienent. Same with Drake washing up in the exact city he needed to be and also magically finding Elena.

Then we have the villains. Jesus Christ. Talbot was great except for the fact that they don't explain how the fuck he survives roughly half a dozen shots without a goddamn flinch. So we're supposed to just assume he has a supernatural element in a game essentially devoid of any? Marlowe was a disgrace. We literally find out nothing about her. There is nothing to make her an interesting villain.

Then there is the whole Drake's name being a fake. Of course they never touch on that again. I was hoping for one more flashback to explain that.

Raonak

Banned
Man. What a game.

I was 80% sure sully was dead; the whole game was basically foreshadowing it. I am so happy/suprised they showed how nate and sully met. it was great.

and when he didn't die; i was 50% sure talbot was disguised as sully. and when you see sully dissapear and talbot take aim at you. so much crazy twists and turns. It felt unpredictable, unike u2, especially with cutter. holy crap @ him being a good guy. I liked him. happy he didn't die. Would like to see him again in a future game like how we see chloe again.

Liked it better than U2 to be honest. (finished it again a few hours before buying 3)
I still think talbot has some suprtnatural blood going in him.

Although other people might not appreciate it that much, but I LOVED the change of pace. Nice to see them balance out the shooting with puzzle solving, chase sequences and just nice quiet moments.

ND does it again. hits it out of the park.

It felt like the story was left open intentionally. I suspect talbot has supernatural blood in him. probably related to the djinn somehow.

Just polished off the single player. Felt a little short but that's forgivable. The serendipity in this game is a little much. As much as I like Victor I wish they had the balls to kill him. Like thinking it like this, Elena talks Drake out of going into the desert and they kinda go off do there own thing. At this time Marloe captures Sully, tortures and kills him. Word gets back to drake about what happened and BAM instant hate for the villain.

laika09

Radec said:
Did they explained what heppened to drake and elena after UC2? or is it too easy to understand why the would break up?(Nate's obsession on finding shit.)

I got the impression that Nate broke up with her because he didn't want her to be in constant danger, like you suggested. I don't remember how I arrived at that, though.

Carl

Before the game was out, didn't ND say something about Marlow being in a cult that believed the ring belonged to them? And that was the reason they were trying to get it back?

Was any of that ever mentioned in the game?

Jarmel

Banned
Carl said:
Before the game was out, didn't ND say something about Marlow being in a cult that believed the ring belonged to them? And that was the reason they were trying to get it back?

No. They never explained why Marlowe thought the ring belonged to her.

laika09

Carl said:

They talked about Marlowe's cult, but not their motivations.

Carl

Jarmel said:

Thought not. Hm. There are loads of things they never explained that would be really awkward to explain in a sequel

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:

Did she say that the ring actually belonged to her? I remember her saying "I merely want what's mine" which looking back, sounded like she was talking about the jar thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
Did she say that the ring actually belonged to her? I remember her saying "I merely want what's mine" which looking back, sounded like she was talking about the jar thing.

Well that would still be unexplained then.

Jaroof

Just beat the game.
My only questions:
Why didn't Talbot get injured or die when Cutter first shot him?
Also, what was Drake's real name? Marlowe mentioned that Nathan Drake wasn't really his name.

Carl

I think the fact that none of us really know for sure what the hell they meant speaks volumes. In Uncharted 1 and 2 it was clear-cut, everything was answered.

Also, didn't Amy say at some point that she wanted to keep every game it's own story? I'm sure i remember her saying that at some point recently. In which case, a sequel probably wouldn't answer questions anyway

Huggy

Oh yeah, washing up on a beach back at town after taking a boat for a ride is very convenient. They even wrote Drake's line to say it.

Marlowe's ring was hers to steal before Drake did it. Don't think there's more to it than that.

laika09

Jaroof said:
Also, what was Drake's real name? Marlowe mentioned that Nathan Drake wasn't really his name.

Never mentioned his real name. It's pretty incredible though how one line can upend maybe the most fundamental pillar of the series' story.

Raonak

Banned
Jaroof said:
Just beat the game.
My only questions:
Why didn't Talbot get injured or die when Cutter first shot him?

He's got demon blood in him, he is related to the djinn. he can teleport and shit out the halucinating compound.

And drake's real name is .........
nolan north

Huggy said:
Marlowe's ring was hers to steal before Drake did it. Don't think there's more to it than that.
Dammit... why do you have to make sense :(

Jarmel

Banned
Huggy said:
Oh yeah, washing up on a beach back at town after taking a boat for a ride is very convenient. They even wrote Drake's line to say it.

Just because the character says it's convenient, doesn't excuse the writing. Same with the Golden Hind.

laika09 said:
It's pretty incredible though how one line can upend maybe the most fundamental pillar of the series' story.

And then never mention it again or even reference it in the game.

gdt

It doesn't matter what Drake's real name is, just that we know he's lying, and probably isn't Drake's descendant now. It doesn't even have to be brought up again, unless of course he's actually someone from an important family or something. But Marlowe ran through who her parents were, so I doubt we'll ever find out.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
And then never mention it again or even reference it in the game.

Does it have to be? It adds an air of mystrey to his character.
I always thought he was telling the truth about being drake's decendent, but he really decived us all (get it, the title ;))

I tend to like mystries (oh duh i love lost and fringe, came up with awesome theories. some of which are still plausible)

Jarmel

Banned
gdt5016 said:
It doesn't matter what Drake's real name is, just that we know he's lying, and probably isn't Drake's descendant now. It doesn't even have to be brought up again, unless of course he's actually someone from an important family or something. But Marlowe ran through who her parents were, so I doubt we'll ever find out.

Yes but he's still lying to everybody else. I thought for sure he would either come clean about it to Sully or Elena or Marlowe would mention it later. There are no consequences to that event and it's just dropped.

It also makes his obsession really weird. I can understand being obsessed with a family secret or even heirloom. But to be obsessed with your fake name's family secret is a bit much. He had already outsmarted Marlowe when he got away with the ring. I have no clue why he would need to pursue it further in order to prove something.

My guess is that they're going to save Nate's real name for the last game in the series and have it mentioned at the end.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
Yes but he's still lying to everybody else. I thought for sure he would either come clean about it to Sully or Elena or Marlowe would mention it later. There are no consequences to that event and it's just dropped.

Well, im sure sully doesn't believe it. Elena could go either way, I think he just want's to bury his past. sorta doesn't want to talk about it as it would end up leading to more questions.

on somewhat of another note;
really thought it was clever naming the flashback level "greatness from small beginnings."

gdt5016 said:
Honestly I'd say it matters a lot, because Drake has pursued Francis Drake treasure or whatever in two games(Uncharted 1 and 3) and it has gotten Sully close to death multiple times because of that and imagine he pursued this stuff because of a fake name. Kind of messed up honestly haha.

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
Well, im sure sully doesn't believe it.

That would have been a great scene. Having Nate come clean and Sully saying that he doesn't care. They really squandered alot of stuff.

Huggy

Jarmel said:
Just because the character says it's convenient, doesn't excuse the writing.

My point. They couldn't explain it, so they crack a joke about it.

I'm not really bothered, for me it's just a way to get faster to the shooting.
Unfortunately shooting sucks in this game, but there's a dedicated thread for that.

Raonak

Banned
Tguy said:
Honestly I'd say it matters a lot, because Drake has pursued Francis Drake treasure or whatever in two games(Uncharted 1 and 3) and it has gotten Sully close to death multiple times because of that and imagine he pursued this stuff because of a fake name. Kind of messed up honestly haha.

Well, to be honest, judging by uncharted 2, he would have gone for el dorado regardless if drake had anything to do with it.

the way i see it, he wanted to reach ubar to prove to himself he deserves the name Drake.
surpassing ol' francis himself.

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
Well, to be honest, judging by uncharted 2, he would have gone for el dorado regardless if drake had anything to do with it.

the way i see it, he wanted to reach ubar to prove to himself he deserves the name Drake.
surpassing ol' francis himself.

He already did that in 1 though. He got further than Francis did.

RDreamer

How is Drake washing up on shore really that unbelievable? I mean they were in town when Marlowe presumably told the pirate to get rid of him, so his ship had to be close, and I doubt Nathan was knocked out for that long to have got that far away. And I just assumed the boat graveyard wasn't that far offshore. I mean if it's modeled even remotely after the world's largest ship graveyard, then yeah it'd be pretty close.

And as for the title, Drake's Deception, it's got a few meanings all rolled into one. It's both Nathan's deception (about his name), and Francis Drake's deception (how he covered up the voyage and told the Queen there was nothing), and it also points to a lot of the game's plot beats like Sully getting shot. It also points to deceiving us all by never showing anything supernatural at the end. It was kind of a big fake out, and we all were expecting stuff like the Djinn, but that turned out to be a hallucination. After that I was thinking it would be so awesome if they kept the deception theme and literally never showed the thing being opened.

As for Marlowe, I got that she just didn't want to kill Nate in public and get any sort of attention. Shooting him outside of the bar would be bad form, because that shit would probably trace back to her or the organization. I doubt she has any problem with killing Drake, since she apparently told Ramses to do it. Ramses just kept him alive because he got greedy and thought he could extract info from him.

And for the Sully dummy that someone asked about: I didn't think they had that set up to begin with. That'd be kind of silly. I think once he escaped and started killing people they knew they could get him where they wanted him by announcing that Sully was in the hold and putting up that dummy. They'd have him trapped and cornered then.

And those wanting way more explanation on Elena and Nate, you guys are just silly. The game handled this perfectly. Too many games sit there and tell you everything point blank, and that's not how real conversations go. And that's just not good writing. They gave you enough information in this, but not enough to spoil a bit of the mystery.

Tguy said:

He didn't get Sully close to death because of Drake. He would have gone for it regardless. It's obvious Sully and Nate are in that sort of business, and Sully had debts he wanted to pay off with any treasure they found. That wasn't Nate dragging Sully with. Sully wanted to come with for money.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
He already did that in 1 though. He got further than Francis did.

Not really, theres nothing nate found that francis didn't find all thoes years ago.
he did drown the statue, but if it wasn't for him, no-one would've found the island

what do you guys think about nate and elena; engaged or married?
Im sorta sick of ND breaking their relationship after each game. If they aren't still together in U4, theres gonna be blood to pay.

Jarmel

Banned
RDreamer said:
How is Drake washing up on shore really that unbelievable? I mean they were in town when Marlowe presumably told the pirate to get rid of him, so his ship had to be close, and I doubt Nathan was knocked out for that long to have got that far away. And I just assumed the boat graveyard wasn't that far offshore. I mean if it's modeled even remotely after the world's largest ship graveyard, then yeah it'd be pretty close.

The boat graveyard was indeed probably close to the city. However there was the boat sequence and then the cruiseliner sequence. Both of which took up a good chunk of time atleast an hour probably closer to 2. A cruiseliner moves around 20 knots per hour. So he was a minimum of 20 miles offshore in the middle of a huge storm with only a plank of wood to hold on to. He then lands directly outside of the city he needs to be.

Raonak said:
Not really, theres nothing nate found that francis didn't find all thoes years ago.
he did drown the statue, but if it wasn't for him, no-one would've found the island

Nate found what was the root of everything and sunk it. Francis died fighting those things off.

test_account

XP-39C²
DerZuhälter said:
Having the whole supernatural part happening in Drake's druginduced brain only ( yeah I'm one of the few who likes to see this stuff)
What do you mean? Where else would it happen if he was the only one who drank the water?

RDreamer

Jarmel said:
The boat graveyard was indeed probably close to the city. However there was the boat sequence and then the cruiseliner sequence. Both of which took up a good chunk of time atleast an hour probably closer to 2. A cruiseliner moves around 20 knots per hour. So he was a minimum of 20 miles offshore in the middle of a huge storm with only a plank of wood to hold on to. He then lands directly outside of the city he needs to be.

I'm not really saying it's "real life" plausible. I'm just saying it's not that implausible in an adventure genre trope filled game. And who's to say the cruise liner wasn't headed back to shore or near shore anyway? I mean really we're asking why he wound up on shore near the city he came from in the same game where he gets flung out of a plane and somehow manages to grab a package that had a parachute on it? Or how about in a series where in the previous game the whole expedition in Borneo found absolutely nothing, no bodies or anything, but the cave with all that was literally a stroll away from the main central camp area. Or how about when they ended up at the exact temple they needed to be at? Or how about crashing a train and ending up being saved by someone and taken to a village right next to more evidence of the expedition, and a dude who was actually on the expedition.

Raonak

Banned
RDreamer said:
I'm not really saying it's "real life" plausible. I'm just saying it's not that implausible in an adventure genre trope filled game. And who's to say the cruise liner wasn't headed back to shore or near shore anyway? I mean really we're asking why he wound up on shore near the city he came from in the same game where he gets flung out of a plane and somehow manages to grab a package that had a parachute on it? Or how about in a series where in the previous game the whole expedition in Borneo found absolutely nothing, no bodies or anything, but the cave with all that was literally a stroll away from the main central camp area. Or how about when they ended up at the exact temple they needed to be at? Or how about crashing a train and ending up being saved by someone and taken to a village right next to more evidence of the expedition, and a dude who was actually on the expedition.

yeah. whenever my brother complains about thoes stuff, i just say "it's a movie"
Though the boat one made less sense since there were lifeboats on there. they could've easily shown nate hopping in a lifeboat that got detached.

that whole plane segment. holy holy holy megafuck. The whole time I was thinking a PS3 should not be able to run this! I remember seeing snipettes of it in trailers and thinking it was just a pre-recorded cutscene. you could imagine my suprise when you had to mash triangle.

Tguy said:

Exactly. Which brings up the one question that was never really answered for me: Why is Drake really doing all of this? Whats his true motvation? Is it just really a pride factor? I got the impression he is just a straight up adrenaline junkie. Marlowe even calls him out on it in Chapter 1 stating that he "gets off on all of that". With all of the added character complexities and depth, one thing Im surprised about that wasnt included in the storyline is what exactly Drake does with these riches that he plunders. Granted, we never saw him leave with anything in the first two games, but how the hell does he live? I really wanted a glimpse into what his life was like outside of stealing.

-is it just me or did Chloe and Cutter just kinda drop out of the story without warning? I was really surprised to not see them at the end.

-young Nate reaching for the beer instead of the soda was fucking great. those two scenes with Sully in the alley and in the bar were my favorite in the entire game. ND really perfected the childs mannerisms and facial expressions that carried over 100 perfectly to adult Nate.

_Nate stumbling into Elenas room after washing up on shore, what an incredible scene and the most emotional for me. When hes lying on her lap and they cut to his fingers reaching for her hand. my god it was so real.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why do they always end up destroying these ancient cities? They withstand the test of time for thousands of years, only to have pretty boy Nate show up and wreak shit. I find it interesting that the water in Aram works in a similar fashion to the hallucinogenic agent Talbot has. Where the hell did Marlow and co get it? I want more Chloe, hell a side story with Chloe and Cutter would be nice.

LProtag

Radec said:

You have to look at the subtext. When Drake sees Elena he's surprised that she still wears her ring. Then she says to him "And you still wear yours." pointing out Drake's ring around his neck. It seems that they had a rift due to him dangerously pursuing treasure and perhaps putting it ahead of her. Her saying that is basically "you're still married to your work". At the end though he loses that ring and Sully gives him his wedding band back, showing that he's changed.

As far as the whole fake name thing you get it in the context of his childhood. We find out there's a sore spot about his parents and it turns out he's been shuffled off to a boarding school at an early age. Later we find out his mother committed suicide and that his father basically abandoned him. So it's not hard to imagine from there that he comes across the figure of Francis Drake, a treasure hunter with the motto "greatness from small beginnings" which is probably exactly how he feels. So he puts on a front as a child and comes up with a new identity for himself so he's not just an abandoned kid at a boarding school, but has his own purpose for his life and can pretend his life is something much bigger, which he ends up doing.

I mean, I'm actually glad they really didn't spell all of this stuff out and went about it in a clever way. Having Elena and Drake argue about their relationship and his work wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Nor would Marlowe saying "Your real name is John Smith and you're just a nobody abandoned child who tried to make himself feel important". That is lazy storytelling and has little impact, what they actually did in the game takes a bit of a leap of faith as it's smart storytelling and you risk upsetting a lot of people by asking them to fill in the gaps themselves.

Top Bottom