• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
2 discs at a time, no point in one of them being a game I aint gonna touch until the unknown and ever distant seeming patch day. I've been silly to wait this long really.

Unfinished because, while I accept this whole situation seems to be like a socially cleaving optical illusion that some get and some dont, I simply cannot believe they shipped the game with the current aiming. Its that bad to me. True, UNPLAYABLE is hyperbole, but theres not a punchy enough word for not wanting to play something so sub-par that with each twitch of the stick the distaste for the game grows and grows, ruining the whole experience.

Stuff like motion-blur just randomly getting switched back on after it presumably was being calculated all this time is perhaps more of an easier 'unfinished' qualifier. I'm just fed up with games coasting through on some of the most lax QC increasing in ineptitude by the year and all these completely necessary 'Month One' patches. Got stung by Dark Souls a bit by purchasing that day one, knew better than to even approach Skyrim in it's virgin month, not to mention all the other patch shit this year. Where does it end.

I expected better of ND though. Ironically enough, if Sony had mandated they use Move aiming (something InFamous 2 seems to be getting nigh universal praise for at the moment), this problem wouldn't exist. They'd have been forced to have fluid aiming systems from the start :D

Derrick01

Banned
Wow so the aiming is that bad huh? I'll probably try it out first just to see but I don't think I want to play through it until the patch comes. Guess I'll be playing Dark Souls first when the ps3 and games get here, which is not what I wanted to do but whatever.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wow so the aiming is that bad huh? I'll probably try it out first just to see but I don't think I want to play through it until the patch comes. Guess I'll be playing Dark Souls first when the ps3 and games get here, which is not what I wanted to do but whatever.

It's not like the game is unplayable with the new aiming, but it's definitely worse than it was in UC1 and 2. I'm about halfway through UC3, and have been so for about 3-4 weeks or whatever, but I'm holding off playing the game until the patch is out.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not like the game is unplayable with the new aiming, but it's definitely worse than it was in UC1 and 2. I'm about halfway through UC3, and have been so for about 3-4 weeks or whatever, but I'm holding off playing the game until the patch is out.

Considering my earlier comments about how much I don't like the shooting in the Uncharteds I think I should wait to play too lol

Victrix

*beard*
Considering my earlier comments about how much I don't like the shooting in the Uncharteds I think I should wait to play too lol

Definitely wait. It soured the entire experience for me badly.

I actually came onto GAF to post how pissed off I was about the aiming (before I even realized it was A Thing that a lot of people were upset about), and that sucks, because the rest of the game is a masterwork of craftsmanship - but mixing anger at gameplay with awe at settings is not a good recipe for enjoyment.

test_account

XP-39C²
True but you have to admit that lacking the cutscene viewer and motion blur, when the former was a standard feature in the first two games, and the latter was a huge aspect of the 2nd game's look, seems a little unfinished'y... no?

Note: I don't really care about the cutscene viewer at all; and even without the blur the game wows visually. I'm not trolling ND here. But this stuff is a little iffy.
I agree to that if these features were dropped due to lack of time, that this could be defined as unfinished in that sense. But personally, as you, i dont either really care much about the cutscene viewer (it could be nice to have though). And with motion blur, honestly i didnt think one bit about it when i played through the game two times. Motion blur probably adds some extra to the visuals as you mentioned, indeed, but personally it wasnt exactly something that i felt was missing.

2 discs at a time, no point in one of them being a game I aint gonna touch until the unknown and ever distant seeming patch day. I've been silly to wait this long really.

Unfinished because, while I accept this whole situation seems to be like a socially cleaving optical illusion that some get and some dont, I simply cannot believe they shipped the game with the current aiming. Its that bad to me. True, UNPLAYABLE is hyperbole, but theres not a punchy enough word for not wanting to play something so sub-par that with each twitch of the stick the distaste for the game grows and grows, ruining the whole experience.

Stuff like motion-blur just randomly getting switched back on after it presumably was being calculated all this time is perhaps more of an easier 'unfinished' qualifier. I'm just fed up with games coasting through on some of the most lax QC increasing in ineptitude by the year and all these completely necessary 'Month One' patches. Got stung by Dark Souls a bit by purchasing that day one, knew better than to even approach Skyrim in it's virgin month, not to mention all the other patch shit this year. Where does it end.

I expected better of ND though. Ironically enough, if Sony had mandated they use Move aiming (something InFamous 2 seems to be getting nigh universal praise for at the moment), this problem wouldn't exist. They'd have been forced to have fluid aiming systems from the start :D
I understand.

About the aiming, i cant really argue much against it because it is quite subjective. Some people feel that it is basically unplayable while other think that it was fine. Personally i adapted fine to the aiming and enjoyed the game a lot, but i am curiously looking forward to check out the aim in this patch though.

About patching games, it is indeed more common that patches gets released quickly. I think it is because games get more and more complex, and then it is usually the classic deadline problem as well. One can only hope that quality assurance gets more strickt in the years to come. But even games that follow the "its done when its done" rule gets patches, so i guess it is impossible to see every flaw before the game is shipped. Just look at i.e Starcraft 2 that followed this rule, yet it have had quite some changes after launch: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_II_version_history . I guess that you're thinking more about game breaking bugs though.

I wonder if Move support will be added to Uncharted 3 later on :)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder if Move support will be added to Uncharted 3 later on :)

Keith Guerette, Naughty Dog’s lead effects artist, said that “Sony actually did approach us in the early stages of development and asked us to consider using the PlayStation Move. What we determined is that there really was no good way to properly take advantage of the Move without changing the game play, language and presentation of Uncharted as we know it. If we do support the PlayStation Move, or any other peripheral device/new technology, we want to be absolutely certain that it does both the device, and the game, their due justice

Really did their game justice just with the gamepad aiming already after all! Don't wanna fuck with that horizontal and vertical only aiming with ultra sticking enemy magnet reticules. Sucker Punch-ing those Naughty Dogs.

Kinda wondering what the aiming is like in Golden Abyss now actually...

KageMaru

Any idea what this actually means? Like... multiplayer? Drake animations in single-player? Enemies not reacting to being shot in single-player?

I'm interested to know this as well. Don't play much MP, but I like how Drake animates in the campaign. Here's hoping they are changing the enemy reactions to being shot.

Yup, same here, been waiting for the patch to finish the game. If it really is landing that soon, I'll just wait, thankfully I have Syrim to hold me over. =)

test_account

XP-39C²
Really did their game justice just with the gamepad aiming already after all! Don't wanna fuck with that horizontal and vertical only aiming with ultra sticking enemy magnet reticules. Sucker Punch-ing those Naughty Dogs.

Kinda wondering what the aiming is like in Golden Abyss now actually...
Thanks for the info regarding Move in UC3 :)

Golden Abyss isnt developed by Naughty Dog, it is developed by Bend. So i dont think there is any correlation between Uncharted 3 and Golden Abyss.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All things considered, I still found the shooting to be an improvement over Uncharted 2. I adjusted to the aiming fairly quickly

I did too! I feel like it's something you can totally adjust to, but it will still feel just a little weird.

jett

D-Member
DAT MOTION BLUR is back

aiming seems more precise. You can aim diagonally easier and the movements are more circle-like rather than square-like.

Just remember to turn on alternate aiming in Options. It's much better! The "can't aim diagonally" thing is gone. In fact it's very circular, probably more circular than I recall from my recent Crushing U2 run. I didn't notice the crazy auto-aim either, though I've only had the first gun so far.

If you think it's fixed without that, you're getting majorly placeboed. (Unless it turns on by default with a totally new game. I started a new game with kept treasures, and the new aiming was off.)

Derrick01

Banned
Just remember to turn on alternate aiming in Options. It's much better! The "can't aim diagonally" thing is gone. In fact it's very circular, probably more circular than I recall from my recent Crushing U2 run. I didn't notice the crazy auto-aim either, though I've only had the first gun so far.

If you think it's fixed without that, you're getting majorly placeboed. (Unless it turns on by default with a totally new game. I started a new game with kept treasures, and the new aiming was off.)

So you have to turn it on manually? Err ok, kind of backwards but I'll play along ND. Noted for when I get the game.

I just didn't have the time to buy and play this when it first came out. Glad I held off - just about finished with Arkham City. Ready for a run through (patched) U3 and then on to Skyward Sword.

falconzss

Nope, you have to turn on alternate aiming regardless. It's turned off by default.

falconzss

Odd choice for new players... but I guess it doesn't matter to me personally.

It really isn't if you think about it. For those who already played the campaign but don't frequently expose themselves to gaming news and updates won't even know about what this patch exactly does and would wonder why the aiming suddenly feels different when starting a new game.

It really isn't if you think about it. For those who already played the campaign but don't frequently expose themselves to gaming news and updates won't even know about what this patch exactly does and would wonder why the aiming suddenly feels different when starting a new game.

Yeah but it's sooo much better. They'd just get used to it in 2 minutes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So what was the Cutscene viewer that was added? Does it show all the chapters in a row? Like a play all option?

Top Bottom