- 12 new fighters join the battle, for a grand total of 50 fighters including the two DLC characters from MvC3. Outside of Strider Hiryu, all of them are new to the MvC franchise.
- 9 new stages to play on. Some are slighty modified versions of stages in MvC3, some are heavily modified, and some are brand new. You can view a gallery of them all here. Also, Random is the default stage selection this time around, THANK GOD!
- Spectator Mode! This time around, you and up to 5 other players can spectate a match in 8-player lobbies online. Huzzah!
- Complete rebalancing of the cast from MvC3 to fit in the UMvC3 environment, including new moves for returning characters! Data from playtesting, event builds and tournaments were all taken into consideration when balancing UMvC3. A complete change log of the changes is available in it's own section below.
- Tweaks to X-Factor and other core gameplay mechanics! X-Factor was a game changing and highly controversial mechanic in MvC3, which could turn the tables and win the match for you in seconds. You can find both the mechanic and character-specific change log in their own section below.
- A Play as Galactus in an offline, arcade-style mode and fulfill your destructive cosmic fantasies!
- Heroes and Heralds free DLC mode! An exciting new mode which allows people to power-up their characters with new abilities using collectable ability cards! Details below.
- A reversible cover! The original cover, done by artist Shinkiro, can be reversed to get alternate box artwork done by Mark Brooks of Capcom. You can view the alternate covers here.
- New Achievements/Trophies! You can view the entire list of achievements here. Trophies will most likelily be exactly the same.
- A new Brady Games Guide will be released! The release date is TBA, but if your serious about UMvC3, it's a no brainer to pick up the guide. The last one was met with universal praise and the authors of this one promise it's even better and more refined. View it on Amazon.com here.
- A UMvC3 variant of the Hori Real Arcade Pro V was recently announced. According to MarkMan, they will come to the overseas eventually, but they will release alongside UMvC3 in Japan.
- UMvC3 is also a launch title for the Playstation Vita! Little has been revealed so far but PR has stated it's the "full console version with additional surprises." The game will feature local and online multiplayer, with hints at full lobby functionality and the ability to "exchange" content with other Vita players. Touchscreen-control options that will allow for the inputs of moves through gestures, but the real hook is that any DLC purchased on your PSN account on your PS3 will be shared with the PS Vita version so you don't have to buy it again.
- A $39.99 price tag. All the hype, for less green!
Heroes and Heralds mode is a FREE post-launch DLC mode that can be played offline or online that offers a new style of play. The game mode centres around collecting and equipping ability cards to your teams to give them new abilities. There are 100+ ability cards to collect (105 by God's Beard's calculations) that can be combined in over 1.12 million combinations, and they contain cameos of characters from Marvel, Capcom, and Marvel vs. Capcom history.
In Heroes and Heralds mode, you pick a faction: either the Heroes that unite against Galactus, or the Heralds of Galactus that are trying to destroy Earth. Herald teams have a shiny silver texture much like the Heralds of Galactus did in arcade mode. Offline, you play against the CPU battling for control over stages which are controlled by the opposing faction and you have a hit list of characters to take down. By defeating the CPU opponents and regaining control of stages you can earn more cards and unlock new zones to bring the battle to. Online, you can choose a faction every week and battle against other players online from the opposing faction in these same zones in a persistent push/pull which you can see the current status of at any time. At the end of the week the wins and losses are totaled and the winning team wins more cards for use, and the score is reset for the next week.
Before going any further, watch the Heroes & Heralds Trailer here.
About ability cards:
- Cards offer unique abilities to characters, and can range from passive abilities to granting characters new moves such as teleports, extra jumps, and parries, some with specific activation conditions.
- Some cards grant multiple abilities.
- Card abilities reflect the characters on the cards themselves. You cannot use the same card twice.
- You equip 3 unique cards per team, called a "deck," and the game will offer 3 preset deck slots you can customize for easy selection before battle, much like the preset team slots.
- The order of cards has significance in your deck: Primary card's functions will be more prominent and can grant additional abilities compared to the two secondary cards'.
- Some cards are rarer than others, and you can win them off of others.
- You can see what cards your opponent has equipped, and the abilities they grant on the loading screen before a match and the intros. You can see the abilitiy icons during the match as they appear below the health bars on the HUD.
- All the card artwork is brand new. Marvel and Capcom are doing the artwork for their own respective cards.
I'm new to MvC3 and/or the MvC franchise. Where do I get up to speed?
You've missed a lot my friend. For a fantastic write up on the history of the MvC franchise, check out Gamesradar's feature here. For gameplay mechanics, look no further than the OT for MvC3. For everything else, Shoryuken.com's old Hyper Guide and iPlaywinner's Guide which includes our very own Karsticles' fantastic Team Building Guide.
If your into the nitty gritty of how the game evolved through professional tournaments in it's short lifespan, check out Dahbomb's Statistical Analysis of Tournament Character Usage.
Why is this not DLC? It's only coming out 9 months after MvC3? Why? WHY?!
Seth Killian, Special Advisor for fighting games at Capcom answers these big questions more thoroughly than I could sum up in this interview.
Can I keep my copy of MvC3 and use it to play people who have went on to buy UMvC3?
No, it's a new game not just a balance patch, and has many changes to fundamental mechanics and enough new characters and balances to justify the lack of ability for vanilla and Ultimate owners to play with eachother.
So what do I get for buying MvC3 and being burned by this being released 9 months later?
According to Niitsuma, one game mode unlocked early, whatever that means. On another instance, Niitsuma simply referred to it as "nothing big," so we're not exactly clear on this yet yet. Presumably, Niitsuma is referring to the Play as Galactus mode.
Speaking of DLC, what's the deal with that? Are we gonna get Shadow Battles and nothing substantial this time around too?
Not really. So far there are a few pieces of DLC planned. The first is Heroes & Heralds mode, detailed above, which will not be Day 1 DLC, but will come post-launch. Next ares the alternate costume packs. Every character will receive an alternate costume in one of many packs, with each pack costing 320MSP on XBL or $4 on PSN. The Costume Pack 01 from MvC3 will carry over to UMvC3 if you bought it before, as will the DLC characters Jill Valentine and Shuma-Gorath (who will receive free alternate costumes to those who bought Costume Pack 01). The costume pack release schedule goes as follows, courtesy of Eventhubs and Gamespot:
- Rising Dead Pack (Phoenix, Frank, Nemesis, Ghost Rider) - Nov. 22nd
- Evil Twin Pack (Spider-man, Deadpool, Hsien-Ko, Vergil) - Dec. 6th
- Ancient Warrior Pack (Hulk, Magneto, Arthur, Firebrand) - Dec.20th
- Brawler Pack (She-Hulk, Haggar, Spencer, Iron Fist) - Jan. 10th
- Femme Fatale Pack (Morrigan, Storm, X-23, Chun-li) - Jan. 17th
- Villain Pack (Super Skrull, Wesker, C.Viper, MODOK) - Jan. 17th
- New Age of Heroes Pack (Dr. Doom, Sentinel, Strider, Akuma) - Jan. 17th
- Animal Pack (Wolverine, Rocket Raccoon, Felicia, Amaterasu) - Jan. 24th
- Weapon Expert Pack (Zero, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Trish) - Feb. 7th
- Viewtiful Strange Pack (Dr. Strange, Dormammu, Nova, Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, Tron Bonne) - Feb. 21st
- Complete Pack (all 48, 20$ PSN, 1600MSP) - Mar. 6th
Is online 'fixed' this time?
UPDATE: After the first week or so, people are universally reporting that the netcode is much better than MvC3, some claiming it's on par, if not better than Super Street Fighter IV's netcode.
Are Jill Valentine and Shuma-Gorath, the two DLC characters for MvC3 included on disc?
They are on the disc, but you will still have to purchase the DLC to have access to them in UMvC3. If you owned them in MvC3, they will carry over into UMvC3 so you don't have to purchase them again.
Why is Megaman/Megaman X/Megaman Volnutt/Megaman X/Megaman.EXE/Megaman X/Megaman Starforce/Gene/Proto Man/Howard the Duck not in the game as a playable character?
A frequent question that never seems to really go away. The additions for UMvC3 have been controversial and there are many reasons why. Characters are arguably the largest factor in people's purchasing decisions when it comes to games like this. The fan request polls hosted at multiple sites, including GAF, don't seem to correlate with the fan requests 100%. It is important to understand the character selection progress that occurs for both sides. For the Marvel side, Marvel "suggests" a list of characters that they would like to see in the game and Capcom chooses characters from that list that they like. With the Capcom side, there is a bit more free reign as they have control of their own IPs. However, characters are decided based upon the following criteria in order of descending importance:
1) They must provide a unique playstyle to the game
2) They must work well in the UMvC3 battle system and it's environment
Examples of such are Nemesis: Capcom needed a brute first and formost to compliment Sentinel and thus he was added. Other choices are simpler, such as Seth being a fan of the GnG series and thus influencing the decision to get Firebrand and Arthur into MvC, or both the producer and the battle designer being fans of Devil May Cry and thus helping Vergil get in. Capcom employees such as Seth and Sven have explicitly stated that Marvel has their own agenda at times, and considering stuff like movie and comic book tie-ins, the choices appear to reflect Marvel's promotional interests quite accurately. The jarring lack of Spiderman villains specifically is due to a licensing issue regarding the new Amazing Spiderman film. Niitsuma stated that he wanted 58 characters (20 newcomers instead of 12) in this game to 2up MvC2, but time restrictions and presumably budget restrictions resulted in the roster we see today. It was rumoured that two big fan favourites, Gene and Megaman X, made it into the final, but large, selection pool of characters for UMvC3, although they were both left on the cutting room floor.
If you come into this topic to express your dismay of your favourite character not getting in and are met with disgruntled posters, don't be surprised as regulars have been down this road far too many times and would rather not beat a dead horse some more.
So if your just jumping on the hype train now as it's ready to make it's second stop, I think it's necessary recap some landmark, hype and humorous points in MvC3 history the last 9 months. It's kind of hard to even shorten the list so narrow, pretty much every single event, major or a local, brought the hype in spades. Click here for a gallery of select hype MvC3 GIFs.
- EB Competition Entry
- God's Beard's Shuma-Gorath rap
- Hitler hears about MvC3 (A shame, he would've liked Ultimate)
- A Decade of Hype: The first MvC3 combo video by GAF's own LeMaximillian
- Xanbats MvC3 Season debut intro
- Needs no description: BIONIC ARMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
- The Magic Pixel Hsien-Ko Win
- Sanford Kelly "This game is dildos" Rant
- Violence erupts over Marvel: Noel Brown bionic arms Eric "Smoothviper" Arroyo
- MastaCJ's Dormammu strikes fear into chairs all over the world
- How to stop worrying about Dark Phoenix - Brought to you by Dormammu
- Damian vs. dmbrandon: MvC3 craziness in a nutshell
- The Ryan Hunter Special (Begins at 1:49:00)
- DHC Madness from Humbag outsmarting Justin Wong (Begins at 41:25; continue watching for the infamous Noel Brown 3 out of 5 controversy)
- Evo 2011: Noah the 8 year old prodigy is born
- Evo 2011: Comeback fiend Combofiend
- Evo 2011: D3athWish's Unique Phoenix-on-point technology
- Evo 2011: Justin Wong - Never Give Up 2.0
- Evo 2011: The Biggest Failure
- Evo 2011: Grand Finals Tron Bracket Reset of Epic Proportions
- When Bottom Tier takes it's revenge on God Tier
- RogueYoshi and 10stars' Quicksilver Glitch
And last but not least, check out the full extended intro CG cinematic!
Pre-release MvC3 was an interesting time full of hype, sometimes too much hype, in which case it was archived and now chronicled for all of GAF to look back on and laugh at. Click here to see GAFers get exposed!
Being the heavily multiplayer-based game UMvC3 is, naturally you want to get some games in with your fellow GAFers. And there are a few ways to do so.And last but not least, check out the thread for the survey shaowebb did of GAFers about UMvC3!
If you are on PS3, you can use the MvC3 PSN Chat to set up matches. I don't have a PS3, and thus am not responsible or able to help people use this feature to get games going or get into the chat. I'll leave it up to PSNGAF to organize it and help others get into the chat. To find out how you can join the PSN Chat, click here.
If you are on 360, you can add the gamertag MahvelGAF to your friends list. Note that this is not the same as the GAF Tag used for MvC3 as that one is being retired. IntelliHeath will be managing it and accepting invites and if you have any problems you should PM him. This is much more efficient than adding everyone on GAF individually, with the limit on the number of friends one can have and all. How this works is that everyone who has added the gamertag (up to a maximum of 100 friends), can use the "Friends of Friends" feature Xbox Live has to see who else from MahvelGAF is currently online and send invites to them. After you add the gamertag, pull up their gamer profile in your Xbox Guide and press right to access the personal profile. Here you will see an option to see the friends of the gamertag, and thus you will be able to send invites/messages to everyone else on GAF who has added MahvelGAF.
Additionally, Kadey will be streaming and hosting GAF UMvC3 360 and PSN lobbies on her Justin.tv account.
- - - - -
I'd like to thank Red Arremer for making the lovely character banners for the change log, Dahbomb for his fantastic work compiling the most accurate change log on the 'net and contributing the character descriptions for the new 12 characters, and the rest of MahvelGAF for contributing tidbits here and there that helped make this OT :D
And last but not least..
IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!