• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim suffering blurry textures when installed on Xbox 360

Gowans

A few of my friends have been talking about this:
You may want to avoid installing Skyrim onto your Xbox 360 hard drive, as a significant number of users are stating that it impacts the quality of the game’s textures when compared with running it from disc.

Reports over on the Bethesda Forums show the supposed bug in action through a series of comparison videos and images of the game running from a HDD and from disc.

The problem was also brought to the attention of Bethesda’s VP of PR and marketing, Pete Hines, who downplayed the rumours. “Game runs same off disc vs. HDD,” he assured on Twitter. “We don’t see any differences.”

Still, Bethesda hasn’t yet released an official word on exactly why the blurry textures are appearing, but are denying it has anything to do with installing the game to an Xbox 360 HDD. “We’re looking into it. Something to clear up is this has nothing to do with whether you install to the hard drive or not,” reads a statement on the forum post.

As the latest Elder Scrolls title was officially released to the world, though, more complaints began flooding in from frustrated buyers. Some fixes – such as installing the game onto a flash drive instead – have not worked for everyone, so until Bethesda find the cause it may be best to avoid installing for now.
http://www.beefjack.com/news/skyrim-suffering-blurry-textures-when-installed-on-xbox-360/
Bethesda Forums
YouTube Video Example (watch beginning then skip to end)

LiK

I read mixed reports of this from the console performance thread. Bug happens whether installed or not.

Ive been hearing a lot about this.

I wonder when Bethesda will invite some Gaffers over for some cookies and gaming to resolve the issue.

mclem

Dunno if it's a coincidence, but I felt something similar in Arkham City; some of the billboards looked a lot more blurry some of the time than others.

Latest buzz in the other Skyrim threads is that you cannot avoid the texture issue on consoles. It happens when:

-using PS3
-not installing
-installing to HDD
-installing to USB

The only tip I've heard that supposedly helps is clearing your 360 cache before starting a game.

Zeal said:
First a denial and then a half assed and cocky admission. What has happened to Bethesda...
The first thing Beth said on the issue is that it was only happening to pirated versions because "pirating console games mess 'em up"

Zeal

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
Bugs?

In a Bethesda game?

Surely you jest.

Will wait a few months for the fixed version to come out.
I don't mind a few bugs in games here and there, but when I started seeing floating mammoths (like, 100ft floating in the sky kind of mammoths) and being repeatedly stuck in stairways and walls...

Yeah, was this even tested.

Curufinwe

_dementia said:
List of games that perform worse when installed:
1. Bayonetta
2. Skyrim?

Halo 3 loads slower but I still installed it. I also didn't notice any improvement when I uninstalled Bayonetta.

The Lamonster said:
Latest buzz in the other Skyrim threads is that you cannot avoid the texture issue on consoles. It happens when:

-using PS3
-not installing
-installing to HDD
-installing to USB

The only tip I've heard that supposedly helps is clearing your 360 cache before starting a game.

Yeah, that's dumb. Although that YT video in the OP shows a noticeable difference in installed vs. not-instaleld textures.

PC looking like way to go here in a bigger way now...

My possible solution to the low texture issue:

I noticed the low textures both when playing both off the disc or off the hard drive. This makes me think that this is just a texture loading issue.

So what I did was, I sheathed my sword, then equiped my bow(via favorites), sheathed the bow, then went back to sword, sheathed the sword, then back to bow, then back to sword, and BAM. Higher textures had returned. Process took maybe 10 seconds. Maybe try the whole procees again if it doesn't work the first time.

Try for yourself. I hope this works for you. I played an additional 2 hours and didn't experience it anymore.

Maybe I just got lucky. Doesn't hurt to try for yourself.

And yet this game gets 10's across the board. Shows you that the so called journalist don't have the balls to call out Bethesda for this.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
so does this only affect the textures on the characters hands/weapons in 1st-person view or does it affect everything?

ttocs

I've got the game for the 360 and installed it and I'm seeing it quite a bit. And I usually don't spot these types of things but it's pretty noticeable.

ttocs

BlazingDarkness said:
He has a point
The game is far from a 10 graphically
That's to be expected. It's an open world game. We're not expecting Witcher 2 graphics here. The graphics are great for an open world game.

LiK

OldJadedGamer said:
From what I heard review sites are allowed one copy of the game and sent the version they ask for.
Can't be. Many got 360 and PC versions. So only one console version?

Grisby

BlazingDarkness said:
No problems here, ps3 version, combined about 15 hours so far
Interesting. I don't read too many review but say, the one from Brad on Giant Bomb mentions technical issues but I don't remember any texture talk.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
AndrewDean84xX said:
Only the hands and what's in the characters hands in 1st person.
I can live with that for now, but they need to fix this shit.

ttocs

LiK said:
Can't be. Many got 360 and PC versions. So only one console version?

People didn't get the PS3 version. I'm guessing they were only offered 360 or PC. Bethesda always showed off the 360 version at events and presentations as well.

DRock said:
I can live with that for now, but they need to fix this shit.
If you come across it, please try my "solution" I posted above. It worked for me. Maybe it works for everyone. I'm waiting for people to try it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Some people seem to think it may have to do with your 360 model. Maybe people can post what type of unit they have if they're experiencing the issue? There are some that still insist they haven't had any problems and have played for a while.

inner-G

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
And yet this game gets 10's across the board. Shows you that the so called journalist don't have the balls to call out Bethesda for this.
It's fucking sad.

The issues are so glaring, that it is almost more "game-breaking' to me than any framerate drops. I usually don't mind frame dips, but with these, you can just sit and stare at objects that look like they fell out of a Dreamcast game or something.

Heard that it was also happening to PS3 version earlier tonight. Saw it actually happening to the PS3 version later on in the night. I've played it installed and uninstalled on the 360 and it's happened both times.

Wtf Bethesda?

Phonomezer said:
Heard that it was also happening to PS3 version earlier tonight. Saw it actually happening to the PS3 version later on in the night. I've played it installed and uninstalled on the 360 and it's happened both times.

Wtf Bethesda?
Please try my "pssible solution" I posted above.

watership

ttocs said:
I've got the game for the 360 and installed it and I'm seeing it quite a bit. And I usually don't spot these types of things but it's pretty noticeable.

Uninstall it and see if it's happening less? Otherwise, it's just how the game runs.

LiK

OldJadedGamer said:
Did they get boxed PC copies or just a code for a free Steam download? Boxed copies cost them money. Download codes are free.
No idea, but many game reviewers kept mentioning they didn't get PS3 copies for review. ex: Both Kevin VanOrd from Gamespot and Brad from GB tweeted about it. I think they were surprised they didn't get the PS3 ver.

Top Bottom