• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA "aggressively persusading" WiiU be Origin-only for an advantage over Steam

bgassassin originally posted this in the megathread, but as I've seen it appear on a few other websites now, I thought a thread for the story might be appropriate.

The website Wiiugo claims to have been contacted by a source informing them of EA's attempts to "aggressively persuade" Nintendo to make the WiiU an Origin-exclusive system. The source says that one of the EA's reasons for this is to exclude Steam from the platform entirely, gaining the company's service a significant competitive advantage in the console space.

An excerpt:

But interestingly, EA are supposedly in talks with Nintendo to try and make Origin, their digital games distribution platform, a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy, too. EA would have the chance to bring Origin to the console space and win many new users while Nintendo see it “as an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA nderstands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers.”

According to our source, EA isn’t the only company looking into bringing its digital distribution platform to the Wii U – Valve, too, are interested in getting Steam onto it. But EA are “aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origins exclusive with Wii U’s online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam.”

Our informant doesn’t know how Origin on the Wii U will differ from Origin on the PC, if at all. But if these talks about making it a fundamental part of the Wii U are really happening, it’s no surprise that Peter Moore is one of the most enthused Wii U developers out there.

Obviously, take it entirely as a rumour. It certainly would explain EA's unexpectedly-starring presence during Nintendo's E3 show.

I do know though that given a choice between these two online gaming platforms on WiiU, Origin isn't exactly the first pick.

Sophia

I'm really worried about the Wii U's online plans. If this turns into a situation where I need more than one login, I'm jumping back to the Xbox ship. Thankfully Nintendo will probably keep EA in check so I'm not too worried about Origin.

thirty

Banned
Given Nintendo's history in the online space I can't see why anyone would be clamoring to get exclusivity.

Ranger X

Why aren't those platform holders interested into PS3 and 360 but suddendly they would be interested through WiiU ???

Ranger X said:
Why aren't those platform holders interested into PS3 and 360 but suddendly they would be interested through WiiU ???

Because of all three players, Nintendo seems the most likely to outsource their online infrastructure to someone else in the industry?

Foffy

Banned
Ranger X said:

It's a free game to take advantage of; one who's behind in the online space. :p

Ranger X said:
Because Nintendo doesn't have an online infrastrucuture whereas ps3 and Xbox do.

MRORANGE

Origin as on-line service? maybe they should sort out there own on-line service on PC by actually implementing a unified friends list for there games.

Zzoram

Nintendo won't go for it. They always have to be in control of their platform. They would never risk outsourcing online to EA.

Ranger X

Mama Robotnik said:
Because of all three players, Nintendo seems the most likely to outsource their online infrastructure to someone else in the industry?

Fair enough but, did I miss Nintendo saying their online infrastructure will be outsourced?
Because if they didn't say anything of this kind, it's a wild guess like any other.

Lagspike_exe said:
So, how exactly would this work? Origin Store working in parallel with Nintendo Store on the Wii-U? Makes no sense.

Easy, you'd have an eShop and Origin on a single store front where you can have releases from both on it.

Highly doubt Valve wants Steam on Wii U. Steamworks, sure.

I'd take Origin over pretty much anything Nintendo can dream up.

Derrick01

Banned
As much as I don't want this to happen, at least if it does it will be on a system I will most likely not buy (and this will be another big reason not to buy it). I do hope Nintendo turns them down on precedent though. EA doesn't deserve a bigger foothold. They're a plague.

Acosta

Why Nintendo, of all companies, would accept a third party system as exclusive provider for their online strategy.

It makes no sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just don't see Nintendo to be willing to allow another company, particularly an American one, to have so much control over a huge part of their console. I also think that this would be a huge risk that could alienate other publishers.

KingJ2002

Ranger X said:

considering what the Wii did... the Wii U could be another big hit.

and being there day one as the premier online service... it's a smart move for EA.

but i think Nintendo would do well by having a system that supports multiple services and having "preferred partners".

it would be a great way to get third parties on nintendo's side... and would be a good option for companies that aren't fans of Microsoft's closed system.

MikeE21286 said:
Steam then partners with Sony on ps4 (only seems right)

And MS does their own thing.

Nope. Valve loved Microsoft. Now they hate them. They hated Sony, and now love Sony. They will hate Sony next, and love Nintendo despite hating them before.

The Valve cycle.

Thanks mom. I wasn't sure about making a separate thread for it. To clear up some misunderstandings that are beginning for form, this isn't saying Origin will be the online setup. EA wants Origin to be the only third-party digital distribution site. Even if EA is helping Nintendo set up their online service, allowing Steam (and whoever else decided to make one) is better for the consumer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when people were speculating the Nintendo would partner with Steam for their online infrastructure. God, pie in the sky much.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ranger X said:
Fair enough but, did I miss Nintendo saying their online infrastructure will be outsourced?
Because if they didn't say anything of this kind, it's a wild guess like any other.
They acknowledged they're not good at developing online systems, and stated they'd seek for partnerships with outside companies.

Instro

Ranger X said:
It was mentioned in particular by Iwata prior to E3 that their online was lacking and they would be looking to outside sources to help them.

1. Set up Nintendo account system
2. Develop "Nintendo Marketplace"
3. Use Nintendo Marketplace to distribute all software
4. Make it consistent across all Nintendo devices

It's not that hard Ninty.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nintendo should have complete control over their online service. They shouldn't make it Origin exclusive. Although, this source seems a bit... iffy.

Right now, Nintendo is on the back foot, since PSN and Xbox Live are much developed and they need a lot of third-party support. Reggie did say Wii U's online system will be flexible for publishers, so does that mean we will be seeing various services there?

Hiltz said:
Isn't Origin terribly implemented into battlefield 3?
No, it's actually fine.

Acosta said:
Why Nintendo, of all companies, would accept a third party system as exclusive provider for their online strategy.

It makes no sense.
?

It makes perfect sense to me, and given Riccitiello's presence and words at Nintendo's E3 conference, plus Peter Moore flying out to NCL recently, I'd say something similar to this is likely.

Penguin

I can see Nintendo getting help from a ton of Western 3rd parties. I'm sure Ubi is in their ear about UPlay, and EA with Origins and even Valve with SteamWorks, but I can't see Nintendo giving up control to someone else entirely.

I can see a partnership like they did with GameSpy or whoever provided "online" for the Cube and Wii.

H_Prestige said:
1. Set up Nintendo account system
2. Develop "Nintendo Marketplace"
3. Use Nintendo Marketplace to distribute all software
4. Make it consistent across all Nintendo devices

It's not that hard Ninty.

5. Offer apology when they are hacked.

[Nintex]

Wii U is going to be the wild west of online experiences. Activision and Ubisoft games will make use of something that is not Origin for starters.

AceBandage said:
Easy, you'd have an eShop and Origin on a single store front where you can have releases from both on it.
That makes no sense. What would be the difference between eStore and Origin releases? There's no way Nintendo would give up platform control to that extent.

RoboPlato said:
I just don't see Nintendo to be willing to allow another company, particularly an American one, to have so much control over a huge part of their console. I also think that this would be a huge risk that could alienate other publishers.
In contrast, your words actually makes this a little more valid in my mind:

a) Nintendo doesn't really think online matters, especially for their games, and in Japan.
b) Nintendo knows that it's a big deal in NA/EU
c) Nintendo thinks it can get someone else to do it so they can deal less with it.

[Nintex] said:
Wii U is going to be the wild west of online experiences. Activision and Ubisoft games will make use of something that is not Origin for starters.

It'll be like a combination of ps2 and early ps3 if i had to guess. Probably reminiscent of something 5-7 years old

Lagspike_exe said:
That makes no sense. What would be the difference between eStore and Origin releases? There's no way Nintendo would give up platform control to that extent.

It's not about the store, as much as it about the online gaming framework.

[Nintex]

luffeN said:
Iwata should just call Newell and be done with it.
The article seems to imply that EA wants Nintendo to make Origin the 'exclusive' service so they can beat Steam to the punch but as of now Steam is still in the running. So that is at least Steam and Origin being considered at this point.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The rumor isn't saying Origin will be the WiiU's official online service. It's saying publishers have the freedom to use their own services, and EA is pushing to try and make Origin the de facto standard to cut Steam(works) out.

Acosta said:

It makes no sense.
This.

It's not like Nintendo is the smaller company that would gain an advantage buy being bribed by EA...

And of course, that's beside Nintendo's adherence to its being independent

Top Bottom