• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

Maffis said:
I would expect this kind of behaviour from Activision or EA maybe, but not TellTale. Damn it, TellTale; I used to like you.

I think they would have covered their asses BEFORE this happened, meaning they would honor the agreed terms. They may be greedy, but not stupid. THIS is stupid.

Azih

Rez said:
I just feel bad for what I can only assume are the majority of Telltale who read this story banging their heads against the wall, powerless to actually do anything to help the guy, short of dipping into their own pockets (which is absurd, given that they probably had nothing to do with any of this).

Oh I agree with you there. The good people at TT (who don't seem to be the ones making the decisions there) must be hating this. But what are you going to do? TT the company seems to be in the wrong here and haven't offered any defense of their actions.

Fjolle

From the comments at reddit it seems like TellTale are aware of it, but aren't allowed to say anything before it has been worked out.

Astrosanity said:
Nope, definitely took down the tweet. BUT NOT BEFORE I COULD MAKE A VERY WITTY RESPONSE TO IT on my twitter account I barely ever use.

Man this is some pretty shoddy handling of what could of only cost them $500 to $1000 most to fix at the time.

Or $2000 since that's what the guy said the repairs will cost.....

inky

Maffis said:
I would expect this kind of behaviour from Activision or EA maybe, but not TellTale. Damn it, TellTale; I used to like you.

Meh, I don't actively dislike them, but they lost a lot of points with me after some particular shit they pulled with Puzzle Agent last year and some incompatibility issues. And it wasn't the issue in particular what was stupid, but the way they kept dancing around it for about 6 months. Completely unrelated, I know, but definitely some bad people working there it seems.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FoneBone said:
Their Facebook page is getting flooded.

Do the right thing, What would John Hammond do?

John Hammond would genetically engineer new Jeeps from DNA trapped in amber, then release them on an island filled with TellTale employees, for the jeeps to feed upon until the one true Jeep has been repaired.

:lol

Good, now if people will flood their forums and NEVER buy the JP game they'll feel the burn.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
There are two sides to every story? Well, I'm convinced. They obviously did nothing wrong.
It's the kind of comment that says "cya in court". Maybe that wasn't the message he was trying to convey, but who knows?

MedIC86

Maybe i'm alone in this, but this is why i love reddit/forums etc, people just cant get away anymore with this kinda shit.

RPGCrazied

Doesn't look that bad honestly. Just the rip on the seat. The rest just needs touch of paint, but I do think Tellatale should man up and pay for it.

WarMacheen

Wario64 said:
Ylf68.jpg

Actually there are 3 sides, yours, theirs, and the truth.

But if you don't open your mouth, there is only theirs

EDIT: Also now that I'm thinking about it, jeep goes out in perfect condition, comes back fucked up, either TT or the carrier are responsible, plain and simple.

RPGCrazied said:
Doesn't look that bad honestly. Just the rip on the seat. The rest just needs touch of paint, but I do think Tellatale should man up and pay for it.

You realize that all costs actually money right? It's all very noticeable damage.

Dennis

Banned
markot said:
He realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly took photos of it just before?

Also low rez wide shots v higher rez close ups is hmmmmmmmmmm?! Everything looks good zoomed out.
Perfect first reply.

Thread was now all about this post.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Or $2000 since that's what the guy said the repairs will cost.....
Whatever, it'd still be next to nothing for even a smaller company like TellTale to pay. If they really couldn't then they should of taken better precautions against this blowing up like it has than simply hoping the owner wouldn't bother to tell anyone else or take it online.

Ihya

Really bad PR for TT. The guy does them a massive favour, ignoring their screw ups and they shit on his good will.

Just spotted this on reddit:

very_throwaway said:
Pretty much everyone at Telltale is pissed off, and really wanting to tell their side of the story, but not allowed to officially comment right now, given that this entire thing is quite literally out of the blue-- I'm told we've been in contact with OP on a fairly regular basis trying to work something out. I'm really really tempted to say something about it, but I'm probably leaning enough outside the window as it is. Suffice to say there is another side of the story here, and Reddit makes it really easy for people to make allegations without any actual proof or backstory.

Also, people are sending some very personal insults to people who have literally never heard of this before today. Please try and keep in mind that some of us are just...you know...guys who work at a company? And not wearing black top hats twiddling moustaches? I realize pitchforks and torches at the drop of a penny, but seriously guys.

Followed by:

And that's what's killing everyone right now. Nobody's denying that there's damage to the jeep. The full story lies in when the damage happened, who signed for what, and who was at fault for the damage.

IT'S KILLING ME HERE RRRRRGH

Hopefully the PR guys figure out what it's "kosher" to say, since anything too rough, even if true, still looks like a Goliath pissing on David. It sucks, man.

It's incredible that they haven't fixed this. That's the "whole story?" The timing of the damage? Wanting to make sure you pay only for what you're at fault for, not a penny more...when the grand total is two thousand dollars? To a guy who did you a fucking favor?

Who wants to bet this is Alan Johnson again?

Symphonic

Curious to know if just the business side of Telltale is giving these responses or if its the company as a whole. I hope not.

Which is why you shouldn't comment if you're not supposed to. He's making it look like Telltale is trying to find a way to shift the blame back on Boomerjinks. TellTale may not be directly at fault but they are ultimately responsible.

echoshifting said:

Followed by:

It's incredible that they haven't fixed this. That's the "whole story?" The timing of the damage? Wanting to make sure you pay only for what you're at fault for, not a penny more...when the grand total is two thousand dollars? To a guy who did you a fucking favor?

This kind of stuff is why I'm not always so quick to jump on companies for events like this, especially in the case of Telltale, who is such a small company to begin with.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This Jeep is his passion, his hobby. He has built it over the course of 3 years.

What are the chances that he got a random company to borrow it to fix some issues he has with it? I'm willing to bet that he has paid much more than 2000 USD to get it to look the way it does.
"I'm getting it 98% done, then I lend it to this company. Scam them out of 2000 dollars so I can pay to have a new leather seat installed, identical to the ones I already have installed but this time not with a gaping hole." And then he strokes his cat, while laughing maniacally.

Based on the few alleged TT comments I've read this seems to be basically what they are insinuating. (Except the laughing.)

This is as ridiculous as the insurance fraud in Saints Row The Third.

Azih

Hey TT, you've got incredibly bad PR people if they can't get together with your lawyers and figure out what actually happened and what is safe to say.

Even if it is totally the carrier's fault then it's still TT who hired the people in the first damn place.

Morts

echoshifting said:

Followed by:

Would be fairly hilarious if this ends up blowing up in Boomerjinks' face.

ghostmind

Regardless of who is at fault here, the timing on revealing this whole story is rather suspect, with Telltale's biggest (?) release of the year only a day away.

Waiting to hear the other side of the story, but I smell something foul.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
ghostmind said:
Regardless of who is at fault here, the timing on revealing this whole story is rather suspect, with Telltale's biggest (?) release of the year only a day away.

I just can't see someone lending his jeep for something he is pretty passionate about and in the meantime scheming a way to get some damage fixed for free.

from what I have heard, TT may not be responsible the carrier is but if TT signed the drop off sheet then its on TT.

ghostmind said:

It is not like he never mentioned this before today. He posted about it on the RPF (I am a member over there as well) back at the end of September.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/jurassic-p...ary-dino-damage-84971/index6.html#post1920298

freddy

Banned
I can't believe the company is sitting through all this bad PR for the sake of $2000 dollars when they clearly are morally obliged to pay up.

Dumb.

inky

Morts said:

Well, if he is hiding something or trying to take advantage of the situation it should be pretty easy for TT to prove it. Otherwise (and obviously, this is just speculation based on what's been shown) I don't see how they are not responsible when they were given custody of a vehicle in good condition and returned it damaged, even if the damage was cause by magical elves. For all that matters they should feel at least morally obliged to do good by the guy who did them a favor, but it doesn't seem like they do.

Fjolle

ghostmind said:

Then it's a very elaborate troll. He commented on a picture taken when they towed his car away from the convention complaining about how they had taken care of his car. If he wants exposure today is possibly the best day to do it, and it fits with them ignoring him for a couple of months.

wrowa

Morts said:
I hope Telltale says something soon, even reading that Telltale guy's posts make me want to vomit. "The full story lies in when the damage happened, who signed for what, and who was at fault for the damage." He lent you an expensive car, his passion, in order so that you could promote your game -- and nor you're cheaping out who is responsible? Even if their is a loophole for you, damn it, this wouldn't haven happened without Telltale. Be thankful instead of greedy.

Anyway, waiting for the rest of the story.

Vamphuntr

freddy said:
I can't believe the company is sitting through all this bad PR for the sake of $2000 dollars when they clearly are morally obliged to pay up.

Dumb.

I have to agree with this. I mean like others have already said, he probably invested much more than 2000$ on the jeep in the first place and I don't see why he would want a "free" 2000$ out of this. He already got publicity when they used the Jeep at E3 anyway. Seems like he only want them to pay for the damages and that they've been ignoring them for a while. Since the game is launching soon, he's using the oppurtunity to make his case public.

Kusagari

What the Telltale guy said just sounds like hogwash. Unless we're missing a gigantic chunk of this story, there's no way any of that could be blamed on boomerjinks.

wrowa

ghostmind said:

Lol, would be funny if it was some kind of fucked up marketing scheme. Sure, it's bad marketing -- but even bad marketing is way better than no marketing at all. And literally no one cared for the game so far, lol. Did anyone even know that it's going to be released tomorrow?

wrowa said:
Lol, would be funny if it was some kind of fucked up marketing scheme. Sure, it's bad marketing -- but even bad marketing is way better than no marketing at all. And literally no one cared for the game so far, lol. Did anyone even know that it's going to be released tomorrow?

No way, that's out tomorrow?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Evil Benius said:
It is not like he never mentioned this before today. He posted about it on the RPF (I am a member over there as well) back at the end of September.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/jurassic-p...ary-dino-damage-84971/index6.html#post1920298
Look how positive his post is over there.

That was before he was ignored for months. I mean before his dark scheme has fully begun.

But it seems like now it's not his dark scheme any more. Now the current thinking is that this is a conspiracy by both. But who is the puppet master behind them? Who is playing us like a fiddle?

Find out in Episode 2 of Jurassic Park The Episodic Game-o-rama.

As much as I think TT are scooting blame, there's a huge chance that a guy who's crazy enough to drop big money on making a Jurassic Park car could be a total nutcase...

POWERSPHERE said:
As much as I think TT are scooting blame, there's a huge chance that a guy who's crazy enough to drop big money on making a Jurassic Park car could be a total nutcase...

It really, really, really, really does not matter at this point, if it ever did.

So they didn't get third party insurance? Or do diligence in receiving the car? That some basic skills you learn from life. You rent a car, you double check the condition it was received if it deviates you deal with the insurance.

Top Bottom