• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Writing-GAF Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have had this idea in mind for a while. I don't know how to get started. This thread is about publishing, but what about getting started into writing something?

Well, if you're having trouble getting started here are some things you might try:

-Create and flesh-out your characters
-Create and flesh-out your locations [if it doesn't exist in real life, draw up a map, as well]
-Make a rough sketch of the events you want to take place, they don't even necessarily have to be in order, you can come back and do that later
-Just write [seems simple enough, but you'll never have a story if you never sit down and actually start writing]

1stStrike

Banned
I wanna start writing......

But all i see is the blinking cursor on Word. FML.

Five easy steps to writing:

1. Turn off your internet.
2. Turn off your music.
3. Shut off your cell phone
4. Turn off the tv and any consoles you own.
5. Get comfortable and/or something to snack on.

Do all of this and your imagination should gradually wind up and start working again. We have so much going on around us that it completely drowns out our thought processes.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

2. Turn off your music.

Do all of this and your imagination should gradually wind up and start working again. We have so much going on around us that it completely drowns out our thought processes.

Agree with all these except the music, which helps me tremendously while writing. That only applies once I'm in my groove, though, and know what I'm writing. If I'm struggling with something or have to think something through, the music has to go off for a while.

I found the Bastion soundtrack to be really inspiring during NaNoWriMo last year, but it was thematically similar to what I was writing, so that probably helped. Normally, though, I can't have any music with lyrics on while writing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need to define my writing style. I don't want to sound rigid as a narrator but at the same time I don't want to feel loose. I also don't want to explain every single event in great detail but I feel if I go too fast I'll jump over things and make it all seem uneven. Finally wanna start writing something seriously (aiming to self publish) but gosh, I am going through hell here :p!

My writing style ticks some people off, and I have the goddamned tendency of comparing and I feel its just not good.

//LiveJournal rant over

q_q

2. Turn off your music.

I've gotta agree with other people about the music thing. Silence is deafening to me. If I don't have some sort of decent music on I can't concentrate on anything and I'll just stare at a blank screen for an hour.

Aaron

I'm halfway through revising the novel I've been working on for a while, and now looking for some outside input. It's a spy thriller set in some fictional countries with a rough equivalent to the 1920s in the US, and elsewhere later. It has some fantastical elements to it, but I wouldn't consider it fantasy. There aren't any elves or magic, but there are surprises.

I'm just looking for general impressions, and not any line by line comments on the grammar and such. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to the first chapter. It's a hair over 7k words in length. If there's interest in reading more we'll go from there. I'm not in any rush to get impressions either, since finishing this revision is going to take at least a few more months.

If you're already expressed interest, I'll be sending a link to you soon.

I am also interested in getting some feedback on my novel. It's a dual location fantasy, with one side being almost pure fantasy and the other side being Earth about 20 years in our future. I'm working through a revision with a writer's group at the moment, but with 12 members and us only meeting twice each month, it takes a long time for my turn to come around.

If anyone's interested in reading early chapters and providing overall thematic/character/style feedback, let me know. I'm not overly interested in line edits, but would love to get another set of eyes on it. The entire book runs about 197k words though, so it's a big one. The good news is that it's not the first of a trilogy; the entire story is in one big book.

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished writing chapter 1 of my new novel. I'm 15 chapters into the sequel to my first, but this one has been growing on me more and more in the past few weeks and so I finally had to pause to write it.

I'm really excited about the prospects of where this is going. It should be a deliciously dark fantasy story by the time it's complete.

Also, those looking for feedback on work, I recommend Critique Circle for some really good critiques.

The entire book runs about 197k words though, so it's a big one. The good news is that it's not the first of a trilogy; the entire story is in one big book.

197k is HUGE. Obviously you know what you want to do with the story far better than I do, but you might want to consider splitting it into two parts.

Delio

Dunno If I asked before but Self pub or traditional pub? I'm wondering which way Is better for a new writer?

1stStrike

Banned
Dunno If I asked before but Self pub or traditional pub? I'm wondering which way Is better for a new writer?

Neither is "better". There's advantages or disadvantages to both, which the OP highlights a bit. Both require a massive amount of time and commitment, but the only one that is guaranteed to get you published is self-publishing.

I'm not going to tell you which to go with - that's your decision.

Self-publishing requires a lot of discipline and extra effort, if you want to be successful. You'll need to be a dab hand with editing, design, production and marketing. Obviously, nobody's going to nail perfection across the board working completely alone, but the more widely-read self-published authors tend to come close.

I'd get a manuscript done first, and then start worrying about submitting to agents and publishers or going solo. By the way, plenty traditionally published authors get picked up on their third or fifth or seventh or whatever manuscript. If you go this route, get used to rejection. From what I've seen, the "easiest" way to side-step the gatekeeper challenge is to be a noteworthy short fiction writer already, and use the credibility that garners as cache when you submit to agents and publishers. And being a noteworthy short fiction writer requires - you guessed it! - plenty submission and rejection.

Personally, I've become my worst enemy. I can't write a few hundred words these days without seeing every flaw in my work. Starting to wonder if I'll ever finish that first manuscript.

Can anyone recommend some good places to submit short stories for a first timer? I've bought copies of a few short story/poetry/art magazines over the past few months, but feel that either I'm out of my depth in terms of quality, or that the magazine just isn't suited to my style of writing. I mostly write non-high fantasy stuff, and the occasional horror or sci-fi story here and there.

Red

Can anyone recommend some good places to submit short stories for a first timer? I've bought copies of a few short story/poetry/art magazines over the past few months, but feel that either I'm out of my depth in terms of quality, or that the magazine just isn't suited to my style of writing. I mostly write non-high fantasy stuff, and the occasional horror or sci-fi story here and there.
There are horror-specific and sci-fi magazines out there that may be more open to first time submissions. I know a friend of mine was published in one not long ago. I don't remember the name though, but I will update when I find it out.

I would say try everywhere though! You never know what will happen, and it can't hurt.

I know one guy who's been trying to get into Asimov's Science Fiction, but he hasn't had any luck so far.

Grakl

http://duotrope.com/index.aspx

Lists pretty much every magazine out there by various stats, depending on what you want. I can't recommend one specific one, though.

I know one guy who's been trying to get into Asimov's Science Fiction, but he hasn't had any luck so far.

heh, good luck with that

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll guess I'll scatter some of my stories about and then see how many rejection letters I can acquire in return, lol.

And thanks for that link Grakl, that's exactly the sort of site I've been after.

Duotrope is the bee's knees. Submitting for short fic, I'd say the best strategy is to aim ridiculously high and go lower as you roll with the rejections. Just note which places accept simultaneous submissions.

Outside of silence or music, you can always try the white noise route: http://simplynoise.com/

I prefer brown noise myself.

I just wanted to point at this website again and urge everyone to try it out who haven't already. Truly amazing how well it can work for you.

Kind of annoying though when someone bursts into your room angrily after having called your name for a while going "YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING?"

bengraven

I decided to completely re-write my novel.

Or at least rewrite it while adding in a paragraph here or there of my first draft. I wasn't done anyway, only halfway through, so it's not painful.

I just realized that I hadn't really thought of my plot hard enough in the excitement to express my idea. And by actually meditating on my idea I could create a plot.

And now I need to rewrite.

JdFoX187

Banned

Or at least rewrite it while adding in a paragraph here or there of my first draft. I wasn't done anyway, only halfway through, so it's not painful.

I just realized that I hadn't really thought of my plot hard enough in the excitement to express my idea. And by actually meditating on my idea I could create a plot.

I've done that twice on the novel I'm presently working on. I pretty much decided to go ahead and get the first draft out of the way, even as rough as it would be without me constantly going back and rewriting it. And then go back and start polishing it up later. The only problem I've been running into is all of these ideas popping up for sections I've already written. So I just jot them down in a notebook and keep on going. I'll add them in later if they still resonate with me.

Fantastic OP, thanks for posting.

1stStrike said:
4. Marketing. Yes, you want to start this before the book comes out. Contact bloggers to arrange blog tours, reviews, interviews, etc. You're going to want to get hype out on sites, prepare a press release and distribute it using a free or paid service like prweb or send2press. The more hype you generate before the book comes out, the greater your sales will be.

Could you elaborate on this? Are you talking about cold emailing blogs? What's the best way to do all this?

Delio

I know how that feels. I pretty much really refined my plot and my rewrite Is not going to be the same.

1stStrike

Banned
Fantastic OP, thanks for posting.

Could you elaborate on this? Are you talking about cold emailing blogs? What's the best way to do all this?

The best way I've found is to get to know bloggers. Talk to them on twitter, or comment on their blog posts. Suck up if you need to. Otherwise, look for blogs that talk about or review your genre of novel and look for any contact information and criteria they may have for contacting them. Remember that there's a ton of other authors out there trying to do the same thing, so try to stand out from the pack.

I did this and was able to get an interview on a writer's podcast, for example. They had stopped interviewing authors and hadn't had any on the show in a year, but I pitched myself well and intrigued the owner of the show, so they had me on it. Things like that will get you recognized.

1stStrike

Banned
The cover for my 2nd book has finally been completed. Looking forward to getting this book out in the next few months.

FoR_cover_low.jpg

Grakl

The cover for my 2nd book has finally been completed. Looking forward to getting this book out in the next few months.

http://ronaldcraft.com/FoR_cover_low.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I still can't get over your name. It's so good.

Nice cover. Has that 'fantasy' feel, for sure.

[quote="Bootaaay, post: 36942877"]And thanks for that link Grakl, that's exactly the sort of site I've been after.[/QUOTE]

No problem, and thanks to you for the rainymood website. I had forgotten all about it, and I love it.

1stStrike

Banned
I still can't get over your name. It's so good.

Nice cover. Has that 'fantasy' feel, for sure.

I find that amusing, because as a kid I absolutely hated my name. I went by "RJ" in school and couldn't stand it when people called me Ronald. And now everyone calls me that and I don't care. Sign of growing up, I guess.

bengraven

I've done that twice on the novel I'm presently working on. I pretty much decided to go ahead and get the first draft out of the way, even as rough as it would be without me constantly going back and rewriting it. And then go back and start polishing it up later. The only problem I've been running into is all of these ideas popping up for sections I've already written. So I just jot them down in a notebook and keep on going. I'll add them in later if they still resonate with me.

I used to think, back in the days of handwritten stories in Mead notebooks, that computers would save me so much time in re-writing. But in a way, no. I could edit every single line and add a few more, but it wouldn't feel as natural as just starting fresh.

It's a scary thought, but I'm sure I'll inject some of my better passages back into it from the rough draft.

I know how that feels. I pretty much really refined my plot and my rewrite Is not going to be the same.

I originally had three main characters, then created a fourth. I realized my main villain of the story was actually an incredibly weak character and that he shared some similarities with one of the four friends and so decided to remove a main character and re-write him as the main villain.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah I went through this. I had 30k words and one day I became dissatisfied with them and deleted the file and emptied the recycling bin. My girlfriend was shocked but as I wrote the plot just got further and further from what I thought it was to the point that none of it made sense. So I scrapped it to start over with a more coherent idea of the story structure. But I've been so damn busy that I haven't done much work on the second go-round.

bengraven

Yeah I went through this. I had 30k words and one day I became dissatisfied with them and deleted the file and emptied the recycling bin. My girlfriend was shocked but as I wrote the plot just got further and further from what I thought it was to the point that none of it made sense. So I scrapped it to start over with a more coherent idea of the story structure. But I've been so damn busy that I haven't done much work on the second go-round.

Wow, this is almost exactly what I'm going through, except switch the girlfriend with "the wife" and 30k for 60k.

I wrote it for Nano without any clear indication of what the actual conflict was, how they were going to get there, and what would happen at the end. I just wanted to write, like many of us, and discovered how much I loved writing long form after all these years. I ended up just shrugging and assuming one thing or another but it wasn't going to work for me.

I brought all my characters together into one town and the only real conflict was that I had created the stereotypical fire and brimstone evil Baptist preacher character. He had brought along a younger, more brutal Mormon hunter/trapper type who was supposed to switch sides and become one of the allies of the MC. But I kept making the hunter more brutal than I intended and despite attempts at adding more kind-hearted traits, the character came off as a stronger villain than the main villain.

So I thought to myself: how does this change things? And it changes them quite a bit. It actually ended up creating a lot more lore for my big world, expanded the role of a secondary character who received a promotion to primary and best yet: made a great "grey-area" villain who can either redeem himself later on or become the most fucked up sociopath I want later on.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So much has happened in the interim that I honestly can't even cite what specifically changed in my mind. I think it had as much to do with my growing up as it did with the plot falling apart. What I've written thus far is just far superior writing and more mature as well. The protagonist and antagonist are characters I've had in my head for about 5 years now and while they've definitely changed, the core of the story hasn't really. The way that core idea plays out is vastly different though and much more expansive than it was beforehand.

In his TED talk, Andrew Stanton of Pixar suggested writing your story backwards.

bengraven

So much has happened in the interim that I honestly can't even cite what specifically changed in my mind. I think it had as much to do with my growing up as it did with the plot falling apart. What I've written thus far is just far superior writing and more mature as well. The protagonist and antagonist are characters I've had in my head for about 5 years now and while they've definitely changed, the core of the story hasn't really. The way that core idea plays out is vastly different though and much more expansive than it was beforehand.

Yeah, I yearn for the days when I can be at least slightly pleased with something I wrote down. I'm trying the "read it out loud" method, but I think this makes it worse. My problems lately deal with me falling in love with concepts, not characters, and basically creating empty character types that are eventually molded from hours of brainstorming against a wall.

If I come up with a complete plot, I usually end up writing it as a short story. I'm only hurting myself. haha

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, I yearn for the days when I can be at least slightly pleased with something I wrote down. I'm trying the "read it out loud" method, but I think this makes it worse. My problems lately deal with me falling in love with concepts, not characters, and basically creating empty character types that are eventually molded from hours of brainstorming against a wall.

If I come up with a complete plot, I usually end up writing it as a short story. I'm only hurting myself. haha

In my newest WIP the first paragraph always sounds extremely amazing to me even when I read it out loud. I really like the imagery it conveys and it just flows smoothly, even out loud. My critters have given me good feedback as well, so I feel like I"m on the right track.

Unfortunately, this WIP is a brand new book and I'm more interested in that story right now, so I'm trying to alternate between FoR and that one. I'm really looking forward to getting both done, though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Thankfully I honestly don't really have this problem. I can certainly be overly self-critical sometimes but I don't seem to have the loathing of my own work that a lot of people seem to. But then again I think of myself as a better-than-average writer while I think I'm really a better storyteller than writer. While I'm always working at it I've embraced it to a degree and my style is somewhat minimal. The best comparison in my mind would be Stephen King's style.

Delio

Had a nice chat with a publishing coach, Robin Hoffman, today. Gave me some interesting tips about what she see's going out in the YA scene. She was really friendly though and quite down to earth.

bengraven

In my newest WIP the first paragraph always sounds extremely amazing to me even when I read it out loud. I really like the imagery it conveys and it just flows smoothly, even out loud. My critters have given me good feedback as well, so I feel like I"m on the right track.

Unfortunately, this WIP is a brand new book and I'm more interested in that story right now, so I'm trying to alternate between FoR and that one. I'm really looking forward to getting both done, though.

That brag isn't very stealthy. ;p

But yeah, I'm always told that my writing is good, I just rarely believe them - as in my next response...

Thankfully I honestly don't really have this problem. I can certainly be overly self-critical sometimes but I don't seem to have the loathing of my own work that a lot of people seem to.

I'm getting better at being self-critical, but I put quite a bit of pressure on myself to be a great writer. Which ends up hurting me because I'll skip out on writing for a few weeks and that's not so good for the craft. Then again, when I take it back up, it's like I'm a completely different, much more talented writer.

I think my issue right now is trying to cut down on the pretentiousness. I'm not a very pretentious person, I don't know why I feel everything must sound flowery. I write more flowery than the majority of writers I ended up reading, as well.

I remember once writing three paragraphs...about a guy walking into his house and up the stairs. No, no, there was no break to go through the mail or throw his keys on the side table or pet the dog and exclaim how good a boy he was: it was just him walking. Three paragraphs.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm getting better at being self-critical, but I put quite a bit of pressure on myself to be a great writer. Which ends up hurting me because I'll skip out on writing for a few weeks and that's not so good for the craft. Then again, when I take it back up, it's like I'm a completely different, much more talented writer.

I think my issue right now is trying to cut down on the pretentiousness. I'm not a very pretentious person, I don't know why I feel everything must sound flowery. I write more flowery than the majority of writers I ended up reading, as well.

I remember once writing three paragraphs...about a guy walking into his house and up the stairs. No, no, there was no break to go through the mail or throw his keys on the side table or pet the dog and exclaim how good a boy he was: it was just him walking. Three paragraphs.

Hahaha, this is the perfect example of the kind of writing I just cannot do. I'm typically straight to the point and struggle with description at any length. I can handle internal monologue fine, but I keep that brief as well because I typically hate reading anything remotely stream-of-consciousness.

bengraven

Hahaha, this is the perfect example of the kind of writing I just cannot do. I'm typically straight to the point and struggle with description at any length. I can handle internal monologue fine, but I keep that brief as well because I typically hate reading anything remotely stream-of-consciousness.

That's what I want to do: straight to the point. If something is pretty, maybe say "that's pretty".

Although I did have a moderately successful urban fantasy writer tell me that based on my Twitter, I would probably be able to write a funny post modern style novel. That's an idea I've been swirling around in my head for a bit.

Delio

That's what I want to do: straight to the point. If something is pretty, maybe say "that's pretty".

Although I did have a moderately successful urban fantasy writer tell me that based on my Twitter, I would probably be able to write a funny post modern style novel. That's an idea I've been swirling around in my head for a bit.

What do you normally put on your twitter?

What a great thread, I don't know why I didn't find this until today. As one of the type who goes months between feeling just right, then vomits out 30 pages in a weekend, edits it down to 10, then gets discouraged and starts the whole cycle over again, reading everyone else's tribulations has been quite enlightening and encouraging.

While I'm here, anyone know anything about Pandamian? I stumbled across it one day maybe a year ago and never thought much about it again until after reading this thread. I thought it seemed like a neat idea, but I'm really new to the whole publishing online deal.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What a great thread, I don't know why I didn't find this until today. As one of the type who goes months between feeling just right, then vomits out 30 pages in a weekend, edits it down to 10, then gets discouraged and starts the whole cycle over again, reading everyone else's tribulations has been quite enlightening and encouraging.

While I'm here, anyone know anything about Pandamian? I stumbled across it one day maybe a year ago and never thought much about it again until after reading this thread. I thought it seemed like a neat idea, but I'm really new to the whole publishing online deal.

Personally if I was going to self-publish I'd do it on Createspace. I can't really see what benefit Pandamian brings to the table.

1stStrike

Banned

Personally if I was going to self-publish I'd do it on Createspace. I can't really see what benefit Pandamian brings to the table.

I concur. Stick with Amazon/CreateSpace. The majority of the market is there, and CreateSpace is just fine. However, if you're just starting out, I'd recommend forgoing CreateSpace and sticking with ebooks to start. I've sold over 800 copies of my first book (self-published), and I think maybe 10 or 11 of them sold in paperback. The rest all sold in ebook format.

Some authors see success on other mediums, such as Barnes and Noble, but I personally didn't see much gain there. I went with KDP Select and haven't looked back since as even before then 99% of my sales were through Amazon.

That brag isn't very stealthy. ;p

I'm typically very humble, but this one of those times where I just know it's something worth being cocky about. :)

--

On an off topic note, I made the call to have two of my characters be gay today. First time I've ever had gay characters, but I think it just works well for them. One of them is about to be killed by the other, though, in a rather delightful way so this will be a bit short lived. Should be interesting to see my critiquers reaction to this chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom