• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired? [EA Responds]

Guy Legend

What is this shit? I ordered a brand new copy of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on PS3 from Amazon a couple of days back and received it today. Putting in the online code that came with the game gives the message telling me that the code is either incorrect or no longer valid.

Online codes can expire? If you buy a brand new game late, you're SOL on the online play? The copy I got has greatest hits packaging...can't be that old.

Who do I complain to, EA or Amazon?

Update:

EA Responds:

Joystiq said:
A NeoGAF member posited that his new copy of EA's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit contained an Online Pass that was expired, blocking him from accessing online content -- others on the forum came forward with similar stories, suggesting that EA's disclaimer covers this clause and he was out of luck. Since blocking new-game purchasers from using online content seems like an unproductive move (even) for EA, we asked an EA Advisor for clarification on its Online Pass expiration policy.

EA's Online Pass can indeed expire for some new games, blocking buyers out of online content until they download a new pass or attain one from EA directly, EA confirmed to Joystiq. As a rule, no Online Pass should expire, but a few titles will have a time limit on their use, even for new purchases, EA said. Dragon Age 2, for example, has an Online Pass that expires on March 31, 2012, according to EA's EULA description. Re-downloading or getting a new Pass is free, EA said.

This still seems like a strange extra step for EA to infuse in its new games, and we have contacted EA more directly for further clarification.
Until then, maybe you shouldn't wait until the holiday tear the shrinkwrap off that copy of Dead Space 2.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/03/ea-online-pass-can-expire-for-new-game-purchases-but-it-should/

Happened to me a lot of times. Online code are only good for one year or 18 month. After that, you are screwed, even if you buy the game new

LQX

Did you retry it numerous times before making this thread? "L "could be "I", "0" "O" etc.

Happened to me a lot of times. Online code are only good for one year or 18 month. After that, you are screwed, even if you buy the game new

Yep. It's written in the disclaimer/policy for every game and every publisher. Some companies make sure they expire while others don't. In the end, you can't say or do shit cause it's there in fine print. Welcome to shitty DRM.

DiscoJer

I have no idea how old that game is, but EA does pretty aggressively retire online play in games these days.

Also, who did you buy it from on Amazon? Amazon themselves, or someone selling through Amazon? Might actually be used...

SykoTech

Wait, so if I buy Arkham City late, will I be locked out of the Catwoman Story Mode even if I buy new?

If so, Online Passes just went way up on my shit list.

WEGGLES

That's a heap of horseshit. Online pass stuff is lame, but I figured it wasn't too bad since I buy new all the time. Now even if I buy new? Fuck that.

Thats seriously messed up.

[ea_apologist]
Well, considering the rate at which prices drop. After 18 months he probably got the game so cheap even with an extra $10 it's still an amazing value for the consumer [/ea_apologist]

Xena

Yep. It's written in the disclaimer/policy for every game and every publisher. Some companies make sure they expire while others don't. In the end, you can't say or do shit cause it's there in fine print. Welcome to shitty DRM.

Is this disclaimer on the cover of the game, or only on the paper code inside the wrapped game?

Guy Legend

I have no idea how old that game is, but EA does pretty aggressively retire online play in games these days.

Also, who did you buy it from on Amazon? Amazon themselves, or someone selling through Amazon? Might actually be used...

Online play is still active for the game. Ordered a new copy from Amazon itself (no third party).

I think it's the Game Advisor button here: https://help.ea.com/

It used to be called like EA Live Chat or something, but apparently they get issues so often they now have a new website. :lol

Gonna try live chatting them...

Is this disclaimer on the cover of the game, or only on the paper code inside the wrapped game?

Not in the cover [EDIT: I guess it does say in the back according to TheSeks] , and only either inside the wrapped game and/or in their privacy policy. It will say something in the lines of not guaranteeing access after one year or some shit like that. Sometimes they'll just say "It clearly says that we won't provide any warranty after a year of release date of the game, so online pass is part of this."

Not only Online Passes expire, but even DLC/Purchase bonuses that are often locked in single-player games, like access to entire game or access to unique characters that come with discs when you purchase them new.

It's away of companies saving their ass when the servers go down after a year.

lol

Where are the gaffers that defend online passes? Please defend this

I was against this shit the day I realized that the digital copy that comes with blu-ray expires after one year. Everyone at GAF told me I'm being nuts and it's a "limited time offer" and I should know that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Complain to EA, they should give you a new code if you provide proof of new purchase/Amazon receipt.

And yes, the online codes expire ONE YEAR after launch even if it's a new copy. Bad Company 2 does it as well, check the back of the box for the online pass expiration date disclaimer.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm....it has been out a little more than 12 months now. I'm curious about the fine print on the voucher.

Hmmm....it has been out a little more than 12 months now. I'm curious about the fine print on the voucher.

As much as online passes have a tendency to expire, it is definitely not enforced at a higher degree. Most likely the entry of the code is not correct or the code has a typo. EA should be able to fix this.

FyreWulff

A lot of "Online Passes" these days even prevent access to single-player campaigns and/or locations e.g. Batman: Arkham City, RAGE, and more.

That's abusing the definition of online passes then.

Online passes that just determine if you can play online multiplayer? I really have no problem with them. No different than unique CD keys being required for PC online play, and I don't want my purchase dollars subsidizing used copies purchasers.

Passes that lock you out from peer hosted co-op and single player content (o hai Bulletstorm)? Yeah screw that shit.

Vamphuntr

What the hell. Your pass can expire? That means that you have to pay for the online even if you bought the game new.

EA has no shame.

Massa

Did you buy it from Amazon or a third party seller on Amazon? It's possible someone tempered with your copy of the game, I have never heard of this issue before. Specially if it's a GH copy, there's no way it's past expiration date.

My copy of Dragon Age: Origins came with some free DLC that had a clear expiration date but the codes still worked well after it passed.

DJ_Lae

Huh, I guess it's on a game by game basis, or maybe just the online passes - I bought a new copy of The Saboteur a few months back and redeemed its code (for tits) despite it saying on the back of the insert that it was more than ten months expired.

And that was an EA release too. But maybe they don't give a shit about singleplayer codes.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly hard to say anything but you deserve it for supporting a game that has that bullshit in the box. This + all the people that had save issues due to having catwoman kinda deserve the bad karma for supporting that disgusting practice.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
And that's why I refuse to support operation 10 dollar right there. Here you buy the game new and you're screwed by their greed.

That sucks. Horrible practice.

I suppose EA is taking down the servers any day now, as they are want to do anyway. I will not be supporting their titles in the future.

Satchel

Banned
Not really possible to defend this, but they do it I guess to make sure people buy the game early when the price is highest and community is most active?

Cock move, the ugly platinum hits/classics packaging should be punishment enough.

epmode

That's awful. Can't be true. Is probably true.

Is it wrong of me to hope that most of the major publishers go out of business? We'd be better off in the end.

MrDaravon

You're joking, right?

No, most DLC codes of any type (at least on 360) will have an expiration date if you look at the small print, tends to be a year or so out. For example I've seen bitching about in Halo ODST you can no longer get Sgt. Johnson as a playable character because he was DLC only and all of the DLC codes have expired.

Valnen

The codes seriously expire? That is such bullshit.

Yeah, I didn't know that. I took no issue with the existence of the codes, but expiring codes is BS...

The whole point of the codes is to get people to buy new. If you buy new and end up needing to buy a pass anyway it defeats the purpose.

Wasn't an online pass, but I remember buying Dark Void when it dropped to $10 six months after release, and the gold jetpack code inside the box was already expired.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's not EA's fault you took your good old fashioned time buying the game. Maybe you should buy a fuckin' calendar!

Top Bottom