• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Keikaku

hola amigos, i just bought sc2 during black friday and man i have to say this game is damn stressful lol. when i played the first sc i dont ever remember being like this, it seems like even the beginners have seen a ton of pro matches and just know what to do. but i have won a game all on my own using brood lords. i think maybe my problem was going with zerg first with out any practice lol. but even the stressfulness of the game i still enjoy it and i am having fun with it.

anyways guys i would like to have some friends that are willing to group or play against a complete noob, my name is Zulfate on b.net ( the same as my gaf name, hint hint)
I'd be more than happy to play against you and give you tips as would most people here. However, we also need your character code in addition to your B.net name.

If you hit the "Add Friend" button, it should give you a pop up window with your character code somewhere on it. Mine, for example, is GAFKeikaku.117

zulfate

to give your name you need to add the character code ( hover over your avatar to see them)

I'd be more than happy to play against you and give you tips as would most people here. However, we also need your character code in addition to your B.net name.

If you hit the "Add Friend" button, it should give you a pop up window with your character code somewhere on it. Mine, for example, is GAFKeikaku.117

hahaha what is this friend-codes! lol

ok my number is 763 and my b.net is ZUlfate or do you actually need my account name? sorry guys i dont know lol

Sliver

ZUlfate.763 is what you would give to people to contact you on Bnet. If you add someone by email they're called RealID friends, which means you see their first and last name along with some more functionality, such as seeing what type of game they're in.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yea I've played that Micro or die game that puts some marines against banelings and I've done well against it in that simulation but I was just wasn't ready for it. Shit caught me off guard. Fuck man I would have won right there too.
Tanks yo. And then the tanks have to be on hotkey so when you stim your marines backwards to run the tanks can target fire banelings with shift + left click, then your marines fire back and split against the remaining banelings and you autowin since terran is ezpz.
*This means to push IMMEDIATELY as Zerg has no banes and marines beat the shit out of lings. No time to make banes = free base kill and stops units from joining together. Move towards the next mining base and rally to it. Win.

I think there is a marine/tank micro map and I know there's some giant ass micro map that has this in the modes.

Keikaku

Tanks yo. And then the tanks have to be on hotkey so when you stim your marines backwards to run the tanks can target fire banelings with shift + left click, then your marines fire back and split against the remaining banelings and you autowin since terran is ezpz.
*This means to push IMMEDIATELY as Zerg has no banes and marines beat the shit out of lings. No time to make banes = free base kill and stops units from joining together. Move towards the next mining base and rally to it. Win.

I think there is a marine/tank micro map and I know there's some giant ass micro map that has this in the modes.

Darglien's ('i' and 'e' might be backwards) Micro Trainer is your friend! GAF tested, pro approved.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Worst 8 hours of sleep I've ever gotten. The only thing I dreamed of was generating creep. Creep. Creep. Creep. It feels like I've been sleeping for 20 minutes :(

Zzoram

For a Platinum player like myself, what's the best way to start training/improving? Just mass ladder game?

I usually play Random but have lately been leaning towards Protoss, mostly because HerO is such a boss and I'm a fan.

Q8D3vil

For a Platinum player like myself, what's the best way to start training/improving? Just mass ladder game?

I usually play Random but have lately been leaning towards Protoss, mostly because HerO is such a boss and I'm a fan.
i felt that the best thing to learn as platinum player is doing different openings and trying to play macro game most of the time and mixing in cheese/all in just to get a grasp about the early game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Learn how to not die to timing pushes and learn how to see when they are coming. Time is your friend.
Upgrades are everything.
Spread units for EMP.
Keep your obs.

Training, I'd say watch some pro FPVOD streams and take notes on things they do differently? I don't have much Protoss knowledge.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Learn how to not die to timing pushes and learn how to see when they are coming. Time is your friend.
Upgrades are everything.
Spread units for EMP.
Keep your obs.

Training, I'd say watch some pro FPVOD streams and take notes on things they do differently? I don't have much Protoss knowledge.

Learning other races is definitely a big part of getting out of Platinum. But I feel the number one thing for all Platinum players to improve is their macro. Early game is usually easy but once you start getting to the mid-game I find myself (and my opponent) building a bank and missing optimal warp-in timings, injects, extra barracks etc etc.

So I feel as though I still need to perfect my mechanics.

Zzoram

My mechanics are definitely weak.

I average 35 apm with peaks around 130 every now and then. That tells me my hands can handle higher apm, but my mind just isn't giving them enough instructions. I imagine it takes quite a bit of practice to get good at remembering to check and do everything all the time.

Zzoram

Upgrades are everything.
Spread units for EMP.
Keep your obs.

Where would I get some of HerO's replays?

Pollux

You shall be known as John. now all you need is a not so witty sidekick named Cortana.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Question for zergs, what do you do when you see Protoss FFE on a relatively large map like Shakuras or Temple? Do you Roach Ling All-in or take a quick 3rd?

I can handle a quick third from most zergs since I can usually snipe it with DTs and transition into Zealot/Archons/HT. However, when I get hit with a roach ling all-in I have like 2 sentries and 2 cannons by the time they hit. Is it even possible to hold a FFE against that kind of all-in?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Question for zergs, what do you do when you see Protoss FFE on a relatively large map like Shakuras or Temple? Do you Roach Ling All-in or take a quick 3rd?

I can handle a quick third from most zergs since I can usually snipe it with DTs and transition into Zealot/Archons/HT. However, when I get hit with a roach ling all-in I have like 2 sentries and 2 cannons by the time they hit. Is it even possible to hold a FFE against that kind of all-in?
What kind of roach-all in are we talking about? Those are really easy to hold if you see it coming (and scouting them is really easy). Early roach rushes can be held off with sentries and cannons.

edit: I still think most zergs grab a third though. Perfect response imo.

Pancakes

I lost the replay but it wasn't the 7RR. It was a weird 2 base all-in with mostly zerglings and some roaches that hit when my wall-in was complete.

I'll post a replay if it happens again.

a176

Banned

baneling bust

jasonng

More sentries, more force fields. Don't worry about being behind with tech. Should the Zerg decide to go for a 2 base timing without taking a third he's already more behind.

damn forcefields. its a shame zerg units don't know how to walk away from forcefields either

I'm well aware that you can walk away but lets face when you are basically trying to allin someone getting delayed like that isn't exactly ideal. It gives them time to get out more sentries/cannons and improve their wallin.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I really want to start streaming StarCraft. My PC can't handle seem to handle it though. Even when I lower the resolution. I have a few questions. Texture quality, does that have a large effect on the performance? Also, if I lower the resolution of the game, would that help? On a 1680x1050 monitor, which resolution would fit the screen nicely?

I want to start uploading SC2 gameplays to my youtube to get some feedback. I don't like how you can't convert replays to video.

Thanks

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I stream at 800x500 resolution (to keep with my 16:10 monitor) with 25fps.

SC2 i have set to medium quality. Quality wise in the stream settings I change around depending on internet quality.

Tashi

I stream at 800x500 resolution (to keep with my 16:10 monitor) with 25fps.

SC2 i have set to medium quality. Quality wise in the stream settings I change around depending on internet quality.

Ok thanks. Is your texture quality set to medium as well?

Tashi

yep

I use to stream at higher resolution but my internet lately cant handle it.

Seems like my PC can't handle it. My internet can definitely handle it. I have FiOs. I stream Halo in HD all the time. Also, Xsplit is having trouble capturing my entire screen. It gets cut off at the top and the bottom. Claims to be 1680x1050 though. So annoying.

Edit: Ok I fixed the issue with my screen getting cut off. Gonna lower texture resolution and give that a go

Striek

Mass ladder works well IMO. Then start attempting stuff you watch on streams/replays. As long as you know what you want to do, implementing it well is all about practicising your mechanics.

Most zergs take a third, but the variety of all-ins they can do against FFE are cute.

You can hold against any kind of all-in but some are very difficult if you don't scout exactly what it is. Like I scouted zerg still on one base with a probe and then saw lings knocking down the rocks at my natural (on Nezarim crypt). Obviously this is an all-in and the lings took down my first zealot I scout with, so I threw down 4 cannons behind my wall and went for a stargate. But unbeknownst to me the zerg had made a hatchery near my wall and was spine-crawler rushing me and had 4 queens in time for the first VR. Once the spine crawlers poked away the wall a flood of lings rushed into my base. The zerg was on 14 drones to 36 probes but there was nothing I could do at that point.

Now I could've had cannons on the high ground (to protect the front of the wall against spines) and more gateways but I was too confident the voidrays would hold any ling/roach all-in that I didn't account for spines/queens. Masters zergs yo.

Now I put the second pylon on the high ground and a cannon or two there if an all-in is coming. You can't really be too careful when it comes to dealing with them.

Tashi

Ugh, fuckin 1 hour and 10 minute match. Nothing happened for 50 of those minutes. So fucking stupid. I pushed in just because it was a waste of time. Those 15 points or whatever weren't worth it.

nilbog21

Banned
WZtgD.jpg

a176

Banned
Ugh, fuckin 1 hour and 10 minute match. Nothing happened for 50 of those minutes. So fucking stupid. I pushed in just because it was a waste of time. Those 15 points or whatever weren't worth it.

just pretend you were playing at the blizzcon finals

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
lol

Didnt we have someone here idle in a stalemate custom game for like 20+ hours? Forgot who.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really want to start streaming StarCraft. My PC can't handle seem to handle it though. Even when I lower the resolution. I have a few questions. Texture quality, does that have a large effect on the performance? Also, if I lower the resolution of the game, would that help? On a 1680x1050 monitor, which resolution would fit the screen nicely?

I want to start uploading SC2 gameplays to my youtube to get some feedback. I don't like how you can't convert replays to video.

Thanks
What are your computer specs and UL speed?

Dooraven

Nov TLPD is up:

qphvwh.png

Hmm this is quite interesting seems like P> T > Z > P like in broodwar. Waiting for December to see the full extent of the patch.

Also this is the first time Terran hasn't been over 50% overall since the release of the game.

Edit: wait this is international, waiting for Korean atm

Top Bottom