• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox update removes Netflix Party streaming.

Just got the new app and it no longer has party viewing. I know I didn't use the option often, but it was nice to have every once in a while. Why do I now want to pay for Gold to watch on Live when th PS3 app is just as good now? Why would they remove a feature? It just makes no sense.

def sim

I only used it twice but it was, surprisingly, good times. Hopefully this is an oversight rather than an intentional omission.

wow, with tv shows, the new Netflix actually puts up the "play next episode" option up during the credits roll of the current episode!

i guess that also saves Netflix some bandwidth costs, but it's a nice feature!

Eusis

Hope they put it back in. Never got around to using it, but I figure it'd be good times with the right bad movie. With it gone though they should seriously just give up and let everyone have the app rather than keeping it to Gold... even if it'd be smarter to keep the feature exclusive to gold but not the whole program.

You are kidding, right? I play some games on it, but I can't think of many solid exclusives that keep me tied to the system the way party streaming did.

shit

Daigoro

people actually want to talk with other people while watching a movie or tv show?

fuck that. i just want everyone to shut up when im watching something.

go to a movie theater and start texting your buddy and making comments at the screen like everyone else.

heathens.

wwm0nkey

people actually want to talk with other people while watching a movie or tv show?

go to a movie theater and start texting your buddy and making comments at the screen like everyone else.

heathens.

Pretty much this.

Its nice to have options but if you are going to watch a movie with friends just have them come over or something other than that the party feature was a huge distraction.

Firestorm

heathens.

its actually really fun to do with a bad movie

Takuya

Banned
Why's everyone trying to justify why this is right, but when other companies do the same thing they get hammered for it!?

Why's everyone trying to justify why this is right, but when other companies do the same thing they get hammered for it!?

Its kind of a useless feature. I never even considered using it, but there is no reason for XBL Gold to be a paid subscription with goddamn ads everywhere

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2011: Netflix Party Viewing removed
2012: Netflix removed entirely
2017: Xbox Next released, is a global thermonuclear warhead delivery system

that i could see actually. do an MST type thing, that would be fun.

cant you just use party chat though? this feature is just utilizing avatars somehow right?
Not the same thing. You was able to host a movie, invite your online buddies(They must have a Netflix account already)And bug out. They put your avatar in a mocked up movie theater, but you could easily switch to full screen if you want. I had a lot of fun watching funny flicks and bad action flicks, with friends.

Kahoona

Its kind of a useless feature. I never even considered using it, but there is no reason for XBL Gold to be a paid subscription with goddamn ads everywhere

Just because you didn't use it doesn't mean other people didn't as well.

I don't think most people used the "Install another O.S." feature on PS3, but look at the uproar that caused...

Dunlop

Wish, i could be complain but I can't install the new version. The file keeps becoming corrupt after the first time I run it

Mengetsu

Never used it. I like it to be quiet when I watch my movies as well. What we should be talking about is the new horrible layout design and how slow Netflix is now. It was so smooth,clean and fast before now it's all... :(

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sucks, didn't use it ALLL the time, but certainly used it enough to miss it's absence.

Didn't Netflix recently remove/limit the # of devices that a single account can play to simultaneously?

I think everyone should consider that maybe this change was driven by Netflix, who has been scrambling for ways to limit costs/increase revenue in the past year, and not MS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really? I hope your just joking and don't take this stuff that seriously.

I don't read anything but text or in other words, you can't gauge reaction without actually hearing someone say things. And yes, there are some who are brushing it off. Not that this is a big deal but it didn't take long. My reaction is to what was posted and others have shared that sentiment. This is one feature I wanted on Netflix PS3 so I wonder why it was taken out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

MST3K.gif

MrDaravon

Yup, it's gone. Also not a huge fan of the new Netflix interface, but they finally added in the audio and sub/cc options which have been on PS3 forever, so that's good.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
How will the MS purists defend this?

Probably like how a Sony purist would:

Thread: Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not enraged enough to not want the system.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Doesn't change my mind on Vita. We should find something bad about 3DS and say trade in your 3DS's or something. I will likely make 2 accounts to test things anyways but my main is my main and that's...

Thread: My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable
LiquidMetal14 said:
I know some are lead on 360 but it seems like sometimes some games are shipped buggy on purpose. If it's happened like 3 straight releases on PS3, it's not coincidence anymore to me.

Thread: If you have a Kinect, Get Rise of Nightmares
LiquidMetal14 said:
Do you want to be a tool, or do you want to be.....................THE CONTROLLER?

Yopis

Wow that sucks used this with my brother to joke on cheesy 80' movies. Had great times long distance. Hope this was not intentional.

Ah, here's some info. In September, Netflix made a push to limit device streaming:

Netflix has long had a policy on limiting the number of films streaming at any given time, but never took the steps to enforce it. Likely started with the price increase on September 1, the company took steps to squash the volume of video streamed through the service and customers can only watch a single piece of content on one device at a time (according to StoptheCap). For instance, if a user starts and watches Good Will Hunting on an iPhone while working out at the gym, a friend or family member trying to use Netflix to watch a movie at home on a device like the PlayStation 3 or Roku 2 XS would get an error message about the limitations of the account. This move also puts pressure on consumers that share accounts across different households.

Update: Netflix has issued a statement on September 7 from VP of Corporate Communications Steve Swasey that claims that “No Netflix member is limited to less than two concurrent streams.”, however users are still unable to stream more than one movie at once. The statement was likely released due to a policy-shift possibly stemming from backlash against the new limitation or to explain a technical glitch in the streaming system. Netflix has clarified things letting us know that if you have one DVD out, you can only have one stream. Have 2 DVD’s out and you can stream on two devices. 3 DVD’s or 4 and you get the same amount of streaming devices.

Sounds like this is in line with their measures to save money.

ultron87

That sucks. I never used it, but I can think of scenario where it would be quite entertaining.

Also, it takes away the one unique thing that the XBL-Gold Only Netflix might've had.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Probably like how a Sony purist would:

Thread: Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Thread: My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

Thread: If you have a Kinect, Get Rise of Nightmares

My opinions, are solely that. You can either look into them and try to base some argument or paint a picture to try and make me look bad. You could have pointed out some of my positive posts on MS. I am equal opportunity. I can be disappointed in any company and have expressed that in the past. But I guess since you took offence, that says more about you than me no?

I go by the trends of my interest and XB has been less interesting for a bit minus the LIVE stuff. It's not a unique stance. If I find something interesting, I will post. And yes, Rise of Nightmares does look bad and so does Kinect. I guess one can't joke about such things.

Now, if I was bored, I would look up your history but I don't care enough. Be as you may and try to figure me out if it's that important to you.

Sick of Sony and MS's bs tactics, Sony is worse, their FW updates are absolute ish, either a feature to protect themselves, removes a feature or add a useless icon.

Top Bottom