• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Furry-GAF : Page 24
Uchip
Banned
(12-19-2011, 11:07 AM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prax

Wolf's Rain was probably a nightmare for a lot of the animators. lol

that wasnt anthro really
they were wolves that appeared as humans and I see no reason why it would be an issue for them.

and you're saying you dont like the implied cat mannerisms? thats kind of the appeal man
I dont even know where you're getting this though since all I can think of is bad harem animes

It seems like i cant win either way
the furries claim that its "not furry" and everyone else gives me crap for it

"Also, let me say how disappointed I am there is no awesome anime that I would watch that stars furries."

Escaflowne? One Piece? there are a few man
ChiTownBuffalo
Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
(12-19-2011, 12:13 PM)
ChiTownBuffalo's Avatar
Happy Holidays Furry-GAF.
Uchip
Banned
(12-19-2011, 12:14 PM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by ChiTownBuffalo

Happy Holidays Furry-GAF.

that is quite possibly the creepiest thing ive seen all year
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-19-2011, 01:21 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firehead

Heh, those are pretty cute. I especially think the last one is. ^^;
And the second one, that's the game?

Well not really, that's not how the in-game art looks like. Here they are and some images from Google

Torahiko Ooshima - the optimistic tiger dude who is your childhood friend



Tatsuki Midoriya - the big dragon who is essentially the typical shy guy



Juuichi Mikazuki - opposite of Tatsuki, a loudmouth, hot-headed guy who is tsundere



Kouya Aotsuki - the rebel husky who is also leads a band



Kyouji Takahara - silent guy who keeps to himself and has Brock eyes



Kounosuke Kuri - the nerd and is borderline shota due to his young-looking nature



Shin Kuroi - pretty boy cat who is also borderline shota and your typical "perfect pretty boy" archetype



Soutaro Touno - definitely not a shota 1 teen who grew up looking up to an upperclassman and is the first time meeting your character



Shun Kodori - definitely not a shota 2 teen that is hyperactive and loves video games

Uchip
Banned
(12-19-2011, 02:46 PM)
Uchip's Avatar
wait
so you play gay furry dating sims
and you're straight?
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-19-2011, 02:47 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
I haven't even played it yet.
Uchip
Banned
(12-19-2011, 02:50 PM)
Uchip's Avatar
yet? hehe
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-19-2011, 02:54 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
And that's even a weird variable since it's still in the works.
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(12-19-2011, 03:05 PM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar
Kouya-chan
ColtraineGF
Member
(12-19-2011, 04:36 PM)
ColtraineGF's Avatar
In this case, it attracted interest due to being one of the few (two?) visual novel/dating sims, that features solely antho characters (with the exception of the protag, representing the player, who is hardly ever onscreen). Also, as you can see up there, all of the characters (and the NPCs) hit upon some type of theme (in design and personality) that gives them appeal to almost anyone who's a fan of anthro males.

I think it would have worked out to the same interest even if the main character was female. She would probably be better-looking than who's there...oh well.
Last edited by ColtraineGF; 12-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(12-19-2011, 04:44 PM)
TheSeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by CHEEZMO™

Kouya-chan http://i.imgur.com/9Ns4e.gif

Make him non-furry and then we'll
Miktar
Member
(12-19-2011, 05:11 PM)
I've often wondered, if you were to go looking, just what percentage of videogame characters (let's say, limited to lead protagonists) would be anthropomorphic in the loosest sense.

CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(12-19-2011, 05:15 PM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar
What game is that Krystal from?
ColtraineGF
Member
(12-19-2011, 05:25 PM)
ColtraineGF's Avatar
I can't say a percentage (it's probably low), but from what I can tell, most came about during the whole mascot game period. From that time, I can think of:

DK, Sonic, Crash, Bubsy[lol], Parappa, Fox, Aero (Aero the Acro-Bat), Sparkster (Rocket Knight Adventures)

Afterwards, these characters come to mind: Sly Cooper, Blinx, Stranger (Oddworld: Stranger' Wrath), Daxter, Red Savarin (Solatorobo: Red the Hunter). Excluding games with race options though, since those don't really have a set protag per se.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-19-2011, 05:46 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by CHEEZMO™

Kouya-chan

According to his profile he's essentially a GAFfer

Originally Posted by ColtraineGF

In this case, it attracted interest due to being one of the few (two?) visual novel/dating sims, that features solely antho characters (with the exception of the protag, representing the player, who is hardly ever onscreen). Also, as you can see up there, all of the characters (and the NPCs) hit upon some type of theme (in design and personality) that gives them appeal to almost anyone who's a fan of anthro males.

Exactly - it's a very well-made sim that actually fleshes out the characters rather than "OMG SEX!"
Songbird
Prodigal Son
(12-19-2011, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Prax

I'd like to see more high quality lizard/dragon anthros.

Still looking for lizards? I adore this character.

Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(12-19-2011, 06:14 PM)
Haly's Avatar
There's a good pseudo-furry manga called +Anima.


The "pseudo" qualifier is there because of the art style, which, going by the chart, is no more than 10-25% furry. However, the titular "+Anima" refers to a group of people who, for some reason or another, merged with an animal spirit sometime during their childhood.

They are also discriminated against by the non-"+Anima" majority.

See the parallels? Yeah I do too. But it's not really about furs, it's about kids and discrimination.
Last edited by Haly; 12-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-19-2011, 06:14 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
But it's not furry, it's kemonomimi.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(12-19-2011, 06:21 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

But it's not furry, it's kemonomimi.

What's the difference?

I'm genuinely curious, what are your definitions for these two things?
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(12-19-2011, 06:32 PM)
Hitokage's Avatar
Kemonomimi are kemono disguised as not kemono, but because those kemono are in fact kemono after all, the kemono still retain some kemono and thus have kemonomimi.
Last edited by Hitokage; 12-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(12-19-2011, 06:36 PM)
Haly's Avatar
Wiki "kemono", alright...

Wiki "kemonomimi", Moe Anthropomorphism???
DonMigs85
Member
(12-19-2011, 06:42 PM)
DonMigs85's Avatar
So do the Laguz count as Kemenomimis in their non-animal forms?
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(12-19-2011, 06:45 PM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Hitokage

Kemonomimi are kemono disguised as not kemono, but because those kemono are in fact kemono after all, the kemono still retain some kemono and thus have kemonomimi.

ColtraineGF
Member
(12-19-2011, 07:02 PM)
ColtraineGF's Avatar
I think I get the difference, sort of...

In the case of KM, their animal features are considered accessories to their character, like a fancy ribbon, and not actual evidence of being part (animal-in-question).


Like, this gives Homura 10% more appeal, but Homura hasn't become a cat suddenly. Homerun <3
Last edited by ColtraineGF; 12-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(12-19-2011, 07:18 PM)
Haly's Avatar
But that would invalidate most of furry art, since, regardless of how close they are to actual animals, they dress and act like humans.
ColtraineGF
Member
(12-19-2011, 07:31 PM)
ColtraineGF's Avatar

Originally Posted by Halycon

But that would invalidate most of furry art, since, regardless of how close they are to actual animals, they dress and act like humans.

Oh, I wasn't discounting their status, since anything with animal features can count, even if it wasn't aimed at that audience. I was only thinking of how someone would differentiate kemonomimi as a genre.
Last edited by ColtraineGF; 12-19-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(12-19-2011, 07:35 PM)
Hitokage's Avatar
It's like I said in my last post!

Ok, TL Note: kemono = animal/beast, mimi = ears.
Pandaman
Everything is moe to me
(12-19-2011, 07:37 PM)
Pandaman's Avatar
so where would the monster girl encyclopedia fit in here?

I want to know if i should be pining for translated sequels or if that's weird or what.
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(12-19-2011, 07:38 PM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Hitokage

Ok, TL Note: kemono = animal/beast, mimi = ears.

First post in a while I've understood.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(12-19-2011, 07:43 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Manual Find Replace like a Boss

Animal-ears are animals disguised as not animals, but because those animals are in fact animals after all, the animals still retain some animals and thus have animals-ears.

Okay, that makes sense.
ColtraineGF
Member
(12-19-2011, 07:51 PM)
ColtraineGF's Avatar
Oh, was unaware that people didn't even know what was being said...Well, now you do :)

Originally Posted by Pandaman

so where would the monster girl encyclopedia fit in here?

I want to know if i should be pining for translated sequels or if that's weird or what.

That would definitely fit here (monsters are still animals), although it's still considered a different category that people like.
Last edited by ColtraineGF; 12-19-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Uchip
Banned
(12-19-2011, 11:11 PM)
Uchip's Avatar
I think the thing that annoys me most about furry art in general is the lack of understanding of colour palette
Like people will give them black skin/fur and then have fluorescent green hair and bright blue shirts and it looks gaudy as all hell

this is doing colour palette correctly




I shouldnt need to give examples of what im talking about since people would have seen it
quite possibly anime inspired

Originally Posted by Halycon

There's a good pseudo-furry manga called +Anima.

that looks less anthro than the Breath of Fire games
Last edited by Uchip; 12-19-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Acerac
Joe's Significant Otter
(12-20-2011, 12:18 AM)
Acerac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

I think the thing that annoys me most about furry art in general is the lack of understanding of colour palette
Like people will give them black skin/fur and then have fluorescent green hair and bright blue shirts and it looks gaudy as all hell

It drives me insane. Neon green is cool apparently? Originally I thought it might have been used to differentiate one's art, but since everyone seems to be using it that theory is out the window.

That third picture is awesome by the way.
Firehead
Adam's Significant Otter
(12-20-2011, 12:23 AM)
Firehead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acerac

It drives me insane. Neon green is cool apparently? Originally I thought it might have been used to differentiate one's art, but since everyone seems to be using it that theory is out the window.

That third picture is awesome by the way.

Everything's gotta be radioactive. Everything.
Uchip
Banned
(12-20-2011, 12:26 AM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acerac

That third picture is awesome by the way.

their style reminds me of silent hill
but also kind of cute
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(12-20-2011, 12:28 AM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
....

I should have never entered this thread. I was curious, and now I'm sorry and my brain is...

...I'm gonna get away from the internet for a bit.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-20-2011, 01:00 AM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
Definitely human looking face and has animal ears/tails? That's kemonomimi. That's the only distinction in Japan - the style essentially.
Uchip
Banned
(12-20-2011, 01:03 AM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

Definitely human looking face and has animal ears/tails? That's kemonomimi. That's the only distinction in Japan - the style essentially.

and ill also never get why they make the animal features different colour to the persons hair
its that radiation again
Acerac
Joe's Significant Otter
(12-20-2011, 01:18 AM)
Acerac's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

....

I should have never entered this thread. I was curious, and now I'm sorry and my brain is...

...I'm gonna get away from the internet for a bit.

As a fellow Viewtiful Joe fan I'm amazed you're not familiar with the subject...




More than half the bosses in the first game were anthropomorphic animals, after all.
Kai Dracon
Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
(12-20-2011, 01:23 AM)
Kai Dracon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

I think the thing that annoys me most about furry art in general is the lack of understanding of colour palette
Like people will give them black skin/fur and then have fluorescent green hair and bright blue shirts and it looks gaudy as all hell

Rave culture is big in furry, that's one reason for it. But, someone like Squeedgemonster (Renard's artist friend) demonstrates how to do rave, neon, and psychedelic correctly. Most beginner artists (and furry fandom artists) don't take a few minutes to read up on color theory, to incorporate wild colors well.


Originally Posted by Uchip

and ill also never get why they make the animal features different colour to the persons hair
its that radiation again

Rave / anime again, though there's an old tradition that predates the current youth culture too. Comes from early 90s comics-turned-furry artists who anthropomorphized characters by putting a normal human hair style (and giving them the required amount of human hair) on top of their head. They would usually just make the human hair color, well, human. Blond, black, brunette, etc. I can see what they were going for, trying to make said funny animals real stand-ins for human archetypes. But, I personally don't care for that style of anthropomorphizing. I do like taking a creature that has fur up top and having it styled to resemble, in theme, a human haircut, as if said character was apeing (pun not intended) humans. But dropping a black pompadour on a brown badger guy? Nah.
Last edited by Kai Dracon; 12-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-20-2011, 01:25 AM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
Hmm I keep mixing up Kouya to Shun. I need to fix that.
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(12-20-2011, 01:33 AM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar
Speaking of Squeedge; I remember feeling a little pissed when I learnt that she was his girlfriend even though he's not (physically) my type, heh :9
Prax
Member
(12-20-2011, 03:05 AM)
Prax's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

that wasnt anthro really
they were wolves that appeared as humans and I see no reason why it would be an issue for them.

and you're saying you dont like the implied cat mannerisms? thats kind of the appeal man
I dont even know where you're getting this though since all I can think of is bad harem animes

It seems like i cant win either way
the furries claim that its "not furry" and everyone else gives me crap for it

"Also, let me say how disappointed I am there is no awesome anime that I would watch that stars furries."

Escaflowne? One Piece? there are a few man

I don't like a lot of things, especially when girls are portrayed with superficial manerisms only meant to make them look supah-kawaii. For example, cats do NOT normally hop up on one foot holding a paw curled up and smiles in a "teehee~!/uguuu~" way. The fact that they make a lot of catgirls do that to show how "kittenish" they are irks me a lot. My biggest annoyance was the Sailormoon live action show when Luna turned into a little catgirl kid. BARF. But that's also my general issue with "moe" stuff (ooh she's so adorable being happy! Oh she's so adorable being sad, oh she's so adorable angry, sleepy, being hungry etc etc.. bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh I couldn't get through K-on because of that stuff). >___>

I know Wolf's Rain is not actually furry. It's just that a lot of animes have a tough time showing good-looking animals, but Wolf's Rain made a serious attempt with wolves. Seems a lot of animators in that series did have a tough time and liked keeping the characters human some episodes for that very reason. Most animals in animes look stupid or unappealing to me in style, or just stick to Level 1 style (overly caricaturized or SD/cutied up). It would be nice to have more serious/human proportioned anthros in starring/lead roles.

And Escaflowne does not STAR furries. Merle (sp?) is just a side-joke-cute character. She doesn't add much to the series besides being the cute cat girl that gets into troublesss-aww-so-cuuute. Which is a shame.. I love cats! I want them to be awesome and have cool roles, but alas! >_> And.. I don't watch One Piece, but as far as I know the only anthro looks like a stuffed animal. xD

Originally Posted by Thnikkaman

Still looking for lizards? I adore this character.

Is she a tadpole? That's new!

Originally Posted by Halycon

There's a good pseudo-furry manga called +Anima.


The "pseudo" qualifier is there because of the art style, which, going by the chart, is no more than 10-25% furry. However, the titular "+Anima" refers to a group of people who, for some reason or another, merged with an animal spirit sometime during their childhood.

They are also discriminated against by the non-"+Anima" majority.

See the parallels? Yeah I do too. But it's not really about furs, it's about kids and discrimination.

They are just humans with animal parts/spirits. It's cute, but it doesn't really count as furry art to me. >_>
My criteria is mainly based on the FACE. If the face is typical human in whatever style, it's not a furry to me, but more of a human with some animal parts. .. Not as cool. lol

Originally Posted by Uchip

I think the thing that annoys me most about furry art in general is the lack of understanding of colour palette
Like people will give them black skin/fur and then have fluorescent green hair and bright blue shirts and it looks gaudy as all hell

I shouldnt need to give examples of what im talking about since people would have seen it
quite possibly anime inspired

I have a beef with this as well. I dislike clashing or poorly-planned palettes. I agree that it comes with the popularity of rave culture probably.. and Sonic. LOL
Uchip
Banned
(12-20-2011, 03:13 AM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prax

I don't like a lot of things, especially when girls are portrayed with superficial manerisms only meant to make them look supah-kawaii.

And Escaflowne does not STAR furries. Merle (sp?) is just a side-joke-cute character.I don't watch One Piece, but as far as I know the only anthro looks like a stuffed animal. xD

it has side characters that are, and one piece has so many that i cant even remember them all (the stuffed animal that you're talking about is his default appearance before transforming)

im also wondering what you are basing this on, since the anime featuring "super kawaii cat girl moe" is either so bad that its not worth watching or non existent. Either way its a cute idea thats just overdone in generic anime and doesn't really effect you in anyway unless you go looking for it.

Originally Posted by Prax

My criteria is mainly based on the FACE. If the face is typical human in whatever style, it's not a furry to me, but more of a human with some animal parts. .. Not as cool. lol

So the definingly human(anthro) element is the one you prefer to be animal? seems backwards to me
not human but appears similar is still anthropomorphism and you just have to accept it
Last edited by Uchip; 12-20-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-20-2011, 04:37 AM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

So the definingly human(anthro) element is the one you prefer to be animal? seems backwards to me
not human but appears similar is still anthropomorphism and you just have to accept it

You keep forcing your agenda when there's already a clear, defined definition, by furries and even Japan.
Uchip
Banned
(12-20-2011, 06:59 AM)
Uchip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

You keep forcing your agenda when there's already a clear, defined definition, by furries and even Japan.

this is especially hypocritical when you like to differentiate your own obsession from furry "its kemono not furry"

excuse me but im the only one receiving any kind of bias towards me
I put up with your gay animal men 'agenda' without complaining
whatever
you can have the thread to yourself
Last edited by Uchip; 12-20-2011 at 07:03 AM.
G-Fex
G for Gothic Lolita
(12-20-2011, 07:11 AM)
G-Fex's Avatar
Damnit everyone
akira28
am I an eager baby bird?
am I a cute baby bunny?
(12-20-2011, 07:14 AM)
akira28's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

excuse me but im the only one receiving any kind of bias towards me

I think your furry ideals are only clashing with a few others ideas of what it should be. So don't take it to heart and don't feel like you're under attack. It's all furry, and I'm more (read, very) partial to what you're posting than some others. I never look at this stuff anymore, but was into anthro comics and webcomics when I was younger. It's good stuff. Most of it anyway.

Let's not fight. Let he who is without fur cast the first brickbat.
Pandaman
Everything is moe to me
(12-20-2011, 07:43 AM)
Pandaman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

You keep forcing your agenda when there's already a clear, defined definition, by furries and even Japan.

why does 'japans' opinion matter, exactly?

Nobody complains when you drive your freaktrain through town, return the courtesy to uchip please.

There would be no agenda's to be forced if you weren't going out of your way to exclude things that don't meet your own personal criteria. If uchip's posts weren't 'furry enough', someone in red would ask him to stop. they're the ones who get to make that decision, so until they do dealwithit.
Last edited by Pandaman; 12-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-20-2011, 07:57 AM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uchip

this is especially hypocritical when you like to differentiate your own obsession from furry "its kemono not furry"

That was more of an in-joke regarding artstyle, but as said in this thread it's essentially the same thing.

Originally Posted by Pandaman

why does 'japans' opinion matter, exactly?

Oh I'm not saying it's "Japan's opinion" or stuff, just saying that stuff like catgirls and such aren't furry... even catgirl fans themselves don't want to be associated with that.

Thread Tools